inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did anyone ever get "Nintendo Power" Magazine in the 1990's

Written By: MasterSplinter on 06/10/04 at 1:07 pm

That Magazine was Awesome!

Hey does anyone Remember the TV show "Gamepro" with those Two Guys,
it was on TV, from 1991-92
I miss that show.

Subject: Re: Did anyone ever get "Nintendo Power" Magazine in the 1990's

Written By: Starlighter on 06/28/16 at 4:14 pm

I don't remember the t.v. show "Gamepro," but I remember Nintendo Power.  I remember renting games and using the magazine to pass levels and for passwords/secret codes.  The Wii virtual console sells downloads of some of the old NES and SNES games.  The codes don't work for the downloads though. 

Written By: violet_shy on 06/28/16 at 4:36 pm

I remember seeing the Nintendo Power magazines throughout the '90s, but I never did get them.

Written By: 2001 on 06/28/16 at 4:44 pm

Not in the 90s, but I have all the issues from September 2006 - May 2007. :D I was super hyped for the Wii! Oh man, that and browsing the NSider forums really gives me heavy nostalgia.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/28/16 at 6:03 pm

I'm pretty sure I've read at least 1 or 2 issues of Nintendo Power. I distinctly remember the one with an Ocarina of Time cover, plus another that briefly talked about Pokemon Gold & Silver. Back then, I was in love with reading strategy guides, not just for help, but also out of leisure, especially the Pokemon manuals in particular. At the time, Gold & Silver were brand new, and the Nintendo Power article was the best that my mom could find for me to read at the time.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/28/16 at 7:42 pm

Not in the 90s, but I have some of the issues from September 2006 - May 2007. :D I was super hyped for the Wii! Oh man, that and browsing the NSider forums really gives me heavy nostalgia.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/28/16 at 7:47 pm

Nah.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/28/16 at 10:17 pm

I've got more old '90s video game magazines than I know what to do with. I've got dozens and dozens of issues of Nintendo Power, Electronic Gaming Monthly, Gamepro, PlayStation Magazine, Game Informer, Tips & Tricks, and the like, some dating back as far as 1992. If you wanted to see whether or not a game was any good before you bought it, gaming magazines were pretty much your only option back then.

At any rate, this is the "Gamepro" TV show that the OP mentioned. It did indeed air back in 1991-92, and yes, it's cheesy as hell. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOZ7W94XeeE

Written By: Starlighter on 06/29/16 at 4:36 pm

I've got more old '90s video game magazines than I know what to do with. I've got dozens and dozens of issues of Nintendo Power, Electronic Gaming Monthly, Gamepro, PlayStation Magazine, Game Informer, Tips & Tricks, and the like, some dating back as far as 1992. If you wanted to see whether or not a game was any good before you bought it, gaming magazines were pretty much your only option back then.

At any rate, this is the "Gamepro" TV show that the OP mentioned. It did indeed air back in 1991-92, and yes, it's cheesy as hell. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOZ7W94XeeE

I don't remember exactly when video stores started renting games , but we used to do that once our Nintendo Power subscription expired to see if a game was good.  But before that we relied on Nintendo Power.

That's J.D. Roth from Fun House in the video  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/29/16 at 4:47 pm

I've wished I subscribed to it when I got my Wii in the summer of 2008, but I wasn't really into video games that much. So, I didn't really have any issues at the time.

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/30/16 at 6:50 am

I didn't subscribe but did pick up an occasional newsstand copy. I also had several issues of Sega Visions in the mid-90s as well and my brother subscribed for a while in the late '90s/early '00s. Unfortunately, he threw out all of those issues when he moved to a new house. At least you can look at most of these issues online through Retromags. They just seem so archaic as a method compared to the IT of today where all it takes is to press pause, get out your smartphone, and search for help.

Check for new replies or respond here...