inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best 16-bit System of the 90's SNES,Genesis, or TurboGrafx

Written By: MasterSplinter on 06/10/04 at 5:23 pm

I'm going to have to go with
Super NES, plus the controller for the Super Nintendo is better, more buttons, which allows for more options.

Subject: Re: Best 16-bit System of the 90's SNES,Genesis, or TurboGrafx

Written By: Fred on 06/12/04 at 9:59 pm

I'd have to say SNES, but I own a Genesis.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/13/04 at 7:35 pm

Sega Genesis,mostly because I love SONIC THE HEDGEHOG!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/13/04 at 7:39 pm

As far as portable game systems,Nintendo's Pocket Game Boy and Game Boy Advance get my vote! I like the fact that both systems can run old Game Boy game packs...of which the best game is TETRIS!

Written By: 1992thousand on 06/14/04 at 10:45 am

im going with the Genesis. I was a Sonic freak. I think in 4th grade i got the turbografx-16, but a few months later Toys R Us stopped carrying it and the only place to get games was at Video Game Exchange. But Chrono Trigger is the single best game of the 16-bit era.

Written By: Ansky1213 on 06/15/04 at 9:10 am

It's the Genesis for me. The Genesis was my first game system, so it has a special place in my heart.

Written By: deecrazed1 on 07/21/05 at 3:13 pm

I choose The Super Nintendo, only because of Mario and Donkey Kong. The Sega Genesis would be my second pick only because The Mortal Kombat Series had better graphics and you could see blood instead of sweat(SNES) and Sonic the Hedghog. The Genesis Had better Titles too! ;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/22/05 at 12:02 am

in late 2003 I got what I consider to be one h@ll of a game system..Microsoft's Xbox!! And bought NASCAR Thunder 2003 to go with it!!

Written By: rich1981 on 07/22/05 at 12:27 am

Definitely the SNES, especially for Super Mario World and The Legend of Zelda

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/22/05 at 10:16 am

SNES

Written By: HumBug on 07/23/05 at 12:23 am

If we're talking about the console itself it should be #1: TurboGrafx, #2: Genesis(almost a tie w/TurboGrafx), #3: SNES.

Why? Simply because the TurboGrafx have better and richer color than SNES. They're also built better and have better processors.

If the amount of available titles is the issue, then reverse the previous ratings.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/23/05 at 10:31 am

I loved..Turbo Grafix :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/23/05 at 5:26 pm

We never had Super Nintendo, but we had Genesis and I loved playing everything on that. I used to play Mortal Kombat, Sonic the Hedgehog, some of the Mickey Mouse ones, I also played a lot of NBA Jam with my brother and kicked his butt a few times! Good times, good times.

Written By: whistledog on 09/30/05 at 10:33 am

The Turbo Grafx-16 gets my vote.  I still have mine, and well over 60 games for it :)

Did you know that the Turbo Grafx-16 was the first home system to bring: Pac-Land / Bloody Wolf / Street Fighter / Final Lap Twin from the arcade to your home :)

The greatest game(s) for the Turbo Grafx-16 were Neutopia and Neutopia II, games very similar to the Legend of Zelda.  Great graphics, excellent music, and all around fun gameplay ...

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/30/05 at 10:39 am

^ That already looks like a cool game from the graphics. :)

I'm gonna have to say Super Nintendo (albiet not to the level of the regular NES but still). I didn't ever have massive amounts of games for it, but Mario Kart, Zelda III and a few others made it pretty worthwhile. I still have it today too.

BTW, this sounds like a silly question since I was more than old enough to experience it, but what really was the Sega Genesis really like? Is it worth tracking down a used one and getting games for it, etc?

By 1995 -- when it was its biggest -- I basically had stopped playing video games aside from my old NES ones. Some of my buddies had it, so I kinda knew what it was like, but never really experienced it. Of course, a couple years later, the N64 made it kinda obsolete.

Written By: whistledog on 09/30/05 at 11:06 am

^ That already looks like a cool game from the graphics. :)

I'm gonna have to say Super Nintendo (albiet not to the level of the regular NES but still). I didn't ever have massive amounts of games for it, but Mario Kart, Zelda III and a few others made it pretty worthwhile. I still have it today too.

BTW, this sounds like a silly question since I was more than old enough to experience it, but what really was the Sega Genesis really like? Is it worth tracking down a used one and getting games for it, etc?

By 1995 -- when it was its biggest -- I basically had stopped playing video games aside from my old NES ones. Some of my buddies had it, so I kinda knew what it was like, but never really experienced it. Of course, a couple years later, the N64 made it kinda obsolete.

The Sega Genesis was a fantastic system.  The controllers for it were a little awkward, but it was a great system for sports games, and amazing action/adventure games.

One of the best game(s) the Genesis put out was the Streets of Rage series.  They were like Double Dragon clones, but (and I never thought i'd say this) way better ...

Written By: whistledog on 09/30/05 at 11:11 am

another great game for the Genesis was called Alicia Dragoon.  Excellent music, fantastic game play, and a bit of a role playing theme to it ...

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/30/05 at 5:02 pm

^ Those screencaps look like the perfect mix of old-school games (with the more "computerized" look) and the modern, virtual reality-looking ones.

BTW, not that this is the best place for it, but I was also thinking about the rough periods of time where video game systems were in their heyday. Correct me if anything is wrong or I missed something:

1978-1985 - Atari
1986-1993 - 8-bit Nintendo
1991-1995 - Super NES
1994-1997 - Sega Genesis
1997-2001 - Nintendo 64
1998-2002 - Playstation 1
2000-2005 - Playstation 2
2005-(est 2008) PS 3
2003-(est 2012) XBox

Written By: whistledog on 09/30/05 at 6:52 pm

^ Those screencaps look like the perfect mix of old-school games (with the more "computerized" look) and the modern, virtual reality-looking ones.

BTW, not that this is the best place for it, but I was also thinking about the rough periods of time where video game systems were in their heyday. Correct me if anything is wrong or I missed something:

1978-1985 - Atari
1986-1993 - 8-bit Nintendo
1991-1995 - Super NES
1994-1997 - Sega Genesis
1997-2001 - Nintendo 64
1998-2002 - Playstation 1
2000-2005 - Playstation 2
2005-(est 2008) PS 3
2003-(est 2012) XBox

Atari's heyday actually ended around early 1984.  The infamous "Video Game Crash of 1983" saw to that  :(

But they still continued to make Atari 2600 and 7800 games up to about 1988 :)

The Nintendo Game Cube is still quite popular, but the Xbox and PS 3 will see that it dies  ;D

Written By: Audrey on 10/02/05 at 10:36 pm

Genesis all the way!

When my bros. got a PS1 back in '97 or '98 we unhooked the Genesis and it was sitting in the closet for a good 7 years.  Last year I hooked it back up again in my room (it still works, can you believe it?!).  It brings back memories of great times, I love it.  My favorite games on it are Sonic 3 (w/the Sonic + Knuckles hookup), Mortal Kombat 2, The Lion King, Toy Story and Rolo To The Rescue.

Check for new replies or respond here...