inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I Love the '90s

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/26/04 at 8:16 am

VH1 is following up it's successful series "I Love the '80s," and "I Love the '70s," with "I Love the '90s." 
Is it too soon?  Has enough time elapsed for the '90s to really be distinguished?  I can sort of wax nostalgiac about the early '90s, but the late '90s still fall under the heading "Current Events."  What do you think?
???

Subject: Re: I Love the '90s

Written By: zcrito on 06/26/04 at 11:49 am

Those decade shows are at their best when they're commenting on music or television for a particular year. It also depends on who they get to do the comments. Hopefully it'll be the same people who did it for the '80s. They were probably the best group ;D. So for me, if they're making funny and interesting comments it really doesn't matter too much about the year or decade.

Something tells me for the early '90s they will more than likely go after Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer. And for the late '90s they'll probably comment most on Bill Clinton. 

:)

Written By: Howard on 06/26/04 at 11:57 am

I'd like to see what current events they'll come up with when the show comes to VH1. ::)

Howard

Written By: woops on 06/26/04 at 4:07 pm

E! already did something similar with "101 Reasons why the '90's Ruled", which was OK.

I think it's time and the '90's was good until 1997 (early '98).  :P

Written By: Harmonica on 06/26/04 at 4:55 pm

With Hal Sparks, Michael Ian Black, and Mo Rocca you can't go wrong. Man I'd love to be on those shows, I got an opinion about everything.

Written By: Bobby on 06/26/04 at 6:24 pm

I suppose it depends on whether you have made great memories in the 90s. I think back to a few months ago when I went to Disneyland - I would like a 'I love April 2004'.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/27/04 at 1:11 am

I also want them to do "I Love the '60s," so they can have an episode called
"I Love 69" (heh heh heh!)
;D

Written By: zcrito on 06/27/04 at 12:21 pm

With Hal Sparks, Michael Ian Black, and Mo Rocca you can't go wrong. Man I'd love to be on those shows, I got an opinion about everything.

Yes, but are you funny?  ???

Written By: Harmonica on 06/27/04 at 12:55 pm

Yes, but are you funny?  ???

Depends on your definition of funny, but yeah I can act like Hal Sparks sometimes. Anyway Mo Rocca and Michael Ian Black as well as Hal Sparks I don't admire because of their humor(even though they are quite good at comedy) I admire their vast knowledge upon subjects, they know a lot of information, you can't say something and have them respond "uh...I don't know".  I myself have made people ticked off many times, they pull their hair out and scream "How do you know that!!!!"

Written By: zcrito on 06/27/04 at 2:56 pm

Depends on your definition of funny, but yeah I can act like Hal Sparks sometimes. Anyway Mo Rocca and Michael Ian Black as well as Hal Sparks I don't admire because of their humor(even though they are quite good at comedy) I admire their vast knowledge upon subjects, they know a lot of information, you can't say something and have them respond "uh...I don't know".  I myself have made people ticked off many times, they pull their hair out and scream "How do you know that!!!!"

You're right, Hal Sparks, Michael Ian Black, and Mo Rocca were great for the '80s shows. I also liked the good comments and observations by the others too.

I also think the show's use of good editing aided everyone in looking clever and funny. Take out the not so funny, leave in the good and paste it all together.

Written By: lebeiw15 on 06/27/04 at 9:36 pm

I also want them to do "I Love the '60s," so they can have an episode called
"I Love 69" (heh heh heh!)
;D

::)

;D ;D ;D

How about I Love the 30s:  I Love the Great Depression?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/28/04 at 9:20 am

I really liked when they talked about the American Basketball Association in "I Love The 70's"....I really hope they bring up the long-suffering John Elway and the Denver Broncos winning back-to-back Super Bowl Championships in '97-'98 :)

Written By: Howard on 06/28/04 at 7:29 pm

::)

;D ;D ;D

How about I Love the 30s:  I Love the Great Depression?

Or I Love The 50's,The DooWop Era? ;D

Howard

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 06/28/04 at 11:29 pm

Those decade shows are at their best when they're commenting on music or television for a particular year. It also depends on who they get to do the comments. Hopefully it'll be the same people who did it for the '80s. They were probably the best group ;D. So for me, if they're making funny and interesting comments it really doesn't matter too much about the year or decade.

Something tells me for the early '90s they will more than likely go after Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer. And for the late '90s they'll probably comment most on Bill Clinton. 

Well I hope those guys show more life and enthusiasim then they did for "I Love the 70s".  Those guys were born in the early 1970s, and were all way too young to  fully experience the 70s beyond some childhood cartoons.  You could tell their heart wasn't into the 70s show, whereas they were postively beaming with joy over doing "I Love the 80s".

I'm pretty sure they will be more exicted doing "I Love the 90s", because even they though they didn't "grow up" grow up in the 90s, (they were in their young 20s) at least they were old enough to experience it.

The only thing that sucks is that doing all these "I Love " cheapens the original "I Love the 80s".  That and would be kinda cool if they got different people, as funny as Hal Sparks, Michael Ian Black and Mo Rocca are, their jokes can get tired.

Written By: zcrito on 06/28/04 at 11:40 pm

Well I hope those guys show more life and enthusiasim then they did for "I Love the 70s".  Those guys were born in the early 1970s, and were all way too young to  fully experience the 70s beyond some childhood cartoons.  You could tell their heart wasn't into the 70s show, whereas they were postively beaming with joy over doing "I Love the 80s".

I'm pretty sure they will be more exicted doing "I Love the 90s", because even they though they didn't "grow up" grow up in the 90s, (they were in their young 20s) at least they were old enough to experience it.

You are correct!  ;)
I remember reading about one of the people (Hal Sparks?) saying he was way too young to be commenting for the '70s show, but its producers thought he did so well for the '80s they went ahead and used him.

They all should be in full force for the '90s. ;D

Written By: Koop on 06/29/04 at 12:53 am

I agree with you, Max.  I was too busy with career, etc after college to really pay much attention to pop culture.  The early 90's were fun, but after about 1993, I can't really remember what was trendy/popular/fun, etc. (besides grunge...and that died down in the mid-90's)

I do remember getting really disgusted with music toward the end of the decade...with all of the pre-fab boy bands, etc.  :P

Written By: AL-B on 06/29/04 at 10:55 pm

Or I Love The 50's,The DooWop Era? ;D

Howard
How about "I Love The 20's," where they can wax nostalgic about flapper girls, Rudy Vallee, the Charleston, and Stutz Bearcats???  ;D

Written By: Steve2891 on 06/30/04 at 1:52 am

I think it's way too soon. They should've at least waited 5 more years. I really like the 90's, up until 1998. Top 40 music started sucking a little in 1997, but it was still pretty good. Then 1998, it went straight to hell, getting worse each year.

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/30/04 at 2:10 pm

I think it's way too soon. They should've at least waited 5 more years. I really like the 90's, up until 1998. Top 40 music started sucking a little in 1997, but it was still pretty good. Then 1998, it went straight to hell, getting worse each year.

I think it's too soon as well.  Top 40 music started sucking way before 1997, and I can't really think of any musical talent that was really strong thoughout the decade, like Madonna and Michael Jackson were to the '80's.  As for the fashions and culture, I don't really see anything to go nuts over.

Written By: ... on 07/13/04 at 1:56 pm

I believe it premiered on VH1 last night; I missed it. Did anybody watch it?

Written By: zcrito on 07/13/04 at 3:22 pm

There are many people on this message board that say music started getting bad in the late '90s. I tend to agree, but is there any type of music or "artists" you think started the whole downhill mess? ???

"Top 40 music started sucking a little in 1997..."
You're not going to blame it all on Spice Girls are you?!?!  :o

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/13/04 at 11:02 pm

There are many people on this message board that say music started getting bad in the late '90s. I tend to agree, but is there any type of music or "artists" you think started the whole downhill mess? ???

Yep!  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 07/14/04 at 3:48 am

I suppose I blame Stock, Aitken and Waterman for the downhill mess (probably Pete the most). I love the music but it started a trend in mass manufacturing people/bands on profit. Manufactured bands were a thing of the past but these guys were knocking out records like Toshiba knocks out televisions. In fact, I heard that it only took them about a few hours to produce a hit! That was why they were called 'The Hit Factory' - get in, do your record quickly, get out.  :o

Ever since then, we get the people who are lumped into bands who 'sing a little but don't do much more' category (Boyzone, Bad Boys Inc, Backstreet Boys, Steps, Five, Westlife, D-side . . .) and it's difficult to differentiate between the bands that do it just for the money and the bands that genuinely do it for music's sake and because they like it. That is why you see bands break up more frequently these days (S Club and Atomic Kitten are readily giving up their groups to pursue solo careers within 4 years of getting together when some bands are still hacking away at it after 20 years or so).

Pop Idol is an example (surprise surprise, Pete Waterman hosted that in Britain) and they are looking for something that isn't there in auditions because these people don't want to do it for the music but for what fame and money can buy. It's their shortcut to riches - that is all. These people have no soul whatsoever and the masses see that eventually (after the group have had a couple of top 10 hits - anyone still remember Hearsay? Lol).

Written By: Paul on 07/14/04 at 7:40 am

There's always been 'manufactured' bands and stars about, Bobby (every generation demands a 'pretty face'), but, agreed, SAW really did do it in a more than cynical way...

It's also cheap...thump your backing track out on a sequencer and just get someone to warble over the top...

Cheaper still...do it on your PC and don't even bother about the vocals - this is called 'modern British dance music', I gather...!

At the end of the cliche, it's the record companies still pulling the strings - and they're not in it or fun or love...there's profits that've got to be made - nowdays, an act has to shift 80,000 units of a single to be 'commercially viable'...lower than that, and they're off the roster...

Some 'genuine' stuff appears to be making a comeback - I've listened to some of it, but it's still lacking 'something'...

Hard to define what that 'something' is, but you'll know as you get older...!!

Anyway, I'm wandering off-topic again...back to the plot...

Written By: Howard on 07/14/04 at 8:44 pm

I saw a little bit of it. 1992 & 1993. ;D

Howard

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/14/04 at 11:35 pm

I wonder if NASCAR's rise to popularity because of Jeff Gordon will be mentioned......it should be...I also wonder if Cal Ripken Jr will get a mention...or Oksana Baiul,she will probably be overlooked in favor of the Tonya Harding vs. Nancy Kerrigan fiasco...Maybe Mr.OVERINFLATED EGO Barry Bonds will be mentioned....as far as sports icons of the 90's.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/14/04 at 11:38 pm

As for videogames....I'd love to see Sonic the Hedgehog mentioned on 'I Love the 90's'....he IS a 90's videogame SUPERSTAR...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/14/04 at 11:45 pm

VH-1....please mention one Dale Earnhardt....he may have been around in the 80's but his 90's battles with Jeff Gordon was when INTIMIDATOR earned my eternal RESPECT. Say what you want about the black #3,but remember he was a true COMPETITOR with a passion for WINNING that brought him SEVEN Winston Cups..not too shabby!!

Written By: Bobby on 07/15/04 at 4:33 am

There's always been 'manufactured' bands and stars about, Bobby (every generation demands a 'pretty face'), but, agreed, SAW really did do it in a more than cynical way...

It's also cheap...thump your backing track out on a sequencer and just get someone to warble over the top...

Cheaper still...do it on your PC and don't even bother about the vocals - this is called 'modern British dance music', I gather...!

Apparently, doing it on your PC is very easy. I own a piece of software called Dance-J Gold and have knocked up a track in minutes. The software has been noted as 'The Microwave Oven' of Music Software'.  ;D

At the end of the cliche, it's the record companies still pulling the strings - and they're not in it or fun or love...there's profits that've got to be made - nowdays, an act has to shift 80,000 units of a single to be 'commercially viable'...lower than that, and they're off the roster...

So having to shift 80,000 units is a comparatively recent thing then? Damn those record companies (and that Simon Cowell as well). Pop will definitely eat itself.

Some 'genuine' stuff appears to be making a comeback - I've listened to some of it, but it's still lacking 'something'...

Hard to define what that 'something' is, but you'll know as you get older...!!

For me that something is 'heart'. Even genuine stuff can sound stale and cold. When I listen to a song, I want to feel . . . Inspired perhaps? I also like to hear a good hook line as well.  :)

Anyway, I'm wandering off-topic again...back to the plot...

Yep.  ;D

Written By: MooRocca on 07/15/04 at 10:47 am

Hey, I just found out that part of the Snapple commercial (In-home Demo) that my two oldest kids and I were in made it onto the "I Love 1995" segment!  You won't see me or my kids, because of the snippet  they used, but watch for Wendy the Snapple Lady opening the case in my living room (well, it's not my living room, anymore, but it was back then) and that's ours! 

Anyway, I thought it was cool that a part of ours made the series, at all. 

Written By: zcrito on 07/15/04 at 2:05 pm

Hey, I just found out that part of the Snapple commercial (In-home Demo) that my two oldest kids and I were in made it onto the "I Love 1995" segment!   You won't see me or my kids, because of the snippet  they used, but watch for Wendy the Snapple Lady opening the case in my living room (well, it's not my living room, anymore, but it was back then) and that's ours!   

Anyway, I thought it was cool that a part of ours made the series, at all. 

Snapple?
No. Too Fruity. ::)

So, you're not a celebrity but your old living room is?
:(

Written By: Harmonica on 07/15/04 at 3:21 pm

That's kinda funny in a way. Living room is a celebrity!  I hope the Kitchen don't get jealous!

Written By: MooRocca on 07/15/04 at 5:13 pm

Snapple?
No. Too Fruity. ::)

So, you're not a celebrity but your old living room is?
:(

I guess so.

Harmonica -- I doubt the kitchen will get jealous, it appeared in the background of the 30 second spot and had a starring role in the 60 second spot. (The kitchen can always laud it over the living room that its spot paid bigger residuals.) 

Alas, no, Zcrito.  I'm not a *cough* *cough* celebrity, anymore -- you still might see me and the kids, thanks to the shorter spot's continued use as stock footage, but it appears that Wendy and my ex-husband's living room are the enduring Snapple pop culture icons from the Real People campaign.  ;) 

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/15/04 at 5:29 pm

I Love the 90s?  Well maybe 92, 93, 94 and 95.  Lots of good memories from those years.  But, aside from Barenaked ladies, the music generally sucked, however I remember monday nights in 92.  I loved this line up: Evening Shade, Major Dad, Murphy Brown, Designing Women, followed by the ever great Northern Exposure.
God lyk!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/15/04 at 6:32 pm

ER was great in it's initial run in the 90's-now it's just same old same old retread stuff. Chicago Hope had flashes of brilliance but ER stole the potential audience. On the Discovery Channel,'Wings'(a show about famous aircraft,not to be confused with the dreadful NBC sitcom)was this aviation nut's once-weekly hour of glory!

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/16/04 at 4:23 pm

You know, I think they should have named the show "You'll Love All the  Long Commercial Breaks Whilst Watching a Show About the 90s"
God lyk!

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/16/04 at 6:38 pm

I'm not too pleased with this series.  The top dance tunes of 1997 were NOT Soho's "Hippychick", Corona's "Rhythm Of The Night" and Ace Of Base's "Beautiful Life".  Those tracks were released and became hits in 1990, 1994 and 1995 respectively.  Hammer should lay down the hammer on whoever researched that nonsense.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 07/16/04 at 7:26 pm

I think in one episode they were talking about 1992 and the song "Baby Got Back" By Sir-Mix A Lot and how that was just a song about guys who like big butts and Sir Mix A Lot said he hated that song with a passion.  ;D

Howard

Written By: Dagwood on 07/16/04 at 8:12 pm

I have been watching them and am not too impressed.  I liked the 80's series better.  The nineties just seemed lame.  (Plus, could they not find someone besides Michael Bolton to introduce the hotties.  He wasn't even cool in the 90's)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/16/04 at 10:16 pm

As far as 90's music goes.....NIRVANA is way overrated in my opinion. Alice in Chains was the best grunge band. AIC had one of my fave guitarists-JERRY CANTRELL!! And like 'em or not,Rage Against the Machine should get a mention...because of their conscience-raising lyrics...I just find Zack's voice annoying. Tom Morello and his wild guitar playing is cool.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/16/04 at 10:18 pm

I remember Tom Jones being in the Pepsi Kona ads....Jeff Gordon in the Frito's ads...Bobby Labonte in the Interstate Batteries ads!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/16/04 at 10:21 pm

Do they mention the Internet and AOL/MSN in the series?...have not seen the show yet..

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/17/04 at 10:28 am

I have been watching them and am not too impressed.  I liked the 80's series better.  The nineties just seemed lame.  (Plus, could they not find someone besides Michael Bolton to introduce the hotties.  He wasn't even cool in the 90's)

Well, IMO, Michael Bolton was never cool. :D

I watched '90, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, and snippets of the rest.  I like The 80s a lot better.  It just wasn't as interesting, it seemed like they threw the show together pretty poorly and quicky. :-\\  That's just my opinion.  I still thought it was a good show, but not as entertaining as the others.

Written By: Harmonica on 07/17/04 at 2:40 pm

I'm going to have to go along with Lebeiw on this one. I love the 90's seemed thrown together to quickly and it just wasn't as entertaining as the 80's and 70's.  Hal Sparks wasn't in it as much and neither was Mo Rocca, but Michael Ian Black was in a it quite a bit.

It seemed to me that each subject was touched upon to lightly and that they should of spent more time on individual subjects, rather than trying to fit in a whole bunch of subjects and go through them quickly.

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/18/04 at 8:29 am

I don't remember exactly what year it was, but did they ever even mention "Mars Attacks?"  I got bored after 1995.
God lyk!

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/19/04 at 11:26 am

Well, IMO, Michael Bolton was never cool. :D

I watched '90, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, and snippets of the rest.  I like The 80s a lot better.  It just wasn't as interesting, it seemed like they threw the show together pretty poorly and quicky. :-\\  That's just my opinion.  I still thought it was a good show, but not as entertaining as the others.

My sisters heartthrob in her early teens was Michael Bolton.  Have to say I really liked his music.

Written By: em on 07/19/04 at 4:08 pm

whee.. this is my first post.. i really think that the i love the 90s thingie of vh1 is too early.. some of the things that were discussed fell flat and the nostalgia of the items were not that as good as the ones they featured in the 80s.. i'm only 21.. and yet i see kids gushing about 'oh my god beanie babies! remember that?' im like.. uhhhhhhh...  :\'(  i am disappointed but nonetheless.. vh1 makes up for an otherwise boring sunday afternoon..  :)

god.. hal sparks, michael ian black and mo rocca should be put in a pedestal.. i LOOOOOOOOOOOoove these guys!

Written By: Harmonica on 07/19/04 at 5:18 pm

You know something I noticed.... I remember more about the 80's than I do the 90's and all that I remember about the 80's for the most part I wasn't thier!  I was born in 1985 yet because of reruns and other stuff that brings me into the past like watching old movies and listening to 80's music I'm able to know and recall more 80's stuff than I am 90's stuff.  Maybe I'm wrong but wait a while and 90's stuff will be like 80's stuff.

I know I'm full of it, but I do have a point here.

Written By: duderoni on 07/21/04 at 1:10 pm

um i LOVE the 90s. i really do! i think its better than i love the 80s cuz i actually remember some of the sheesh on this show....... but i guess since i was born at the very end of the 80s, that explains it .....well i just must say that i love it... every little bit. especially the power rangers and the spice girls! i still think they should rule the world....... ;D muahahahahaha

Written By: onaree on 07/22/04 at 9:28 am

My husband and I have been watching these.  Our favorite part is when they let Hal Sparks go on about Forrest  Gump meeting the dude from Slingblade.  We laughed until we were crying.  Hal Sparks is hilarious!

Written By: Koop on 07/22/04 at 11:46 am

I think I preferred the commentary over the nostalgia in this series. (especially since I don't feel very nostalgic about the 90s, but I am nostalgic about the 70s and 80s)  Hal Sparks and Mo Rocca were hilarious as always.  I was also glad to see Trey Parker doing commentary (although I would have preferred to see more Trey segments) and I loved his Eddie Vedder imitation.  Michael Bolton really got on my nerves after a few episodes, but then again, I've never been a fan.  I also liked Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes doing Jay and Silent Bob.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/23/04 at 11:30 pm

I like 90-94 b/c I was in high school. However, after 1995, I stopped watching b/c I was in college and I gave birth to my first child in the late 90s. I didn't really care about what was discussed. It also made me think the late 90s sucked with the music.

I would hate to have grown up overall in the 90s. Too bad for those that did.

I love my childhood in the 80s! Better show. I remembered and cared about everything in that show!

Written By: zapáta on 08/20/04 at 5:18 pm

I really liked when they talked about the American Basketball Association in "I Love The 70's"....I really hope they bring up the long-suffering John Elway and the Denver Broncos winning back-to-back Super Bowl Championships in '97-'98 :)

Broncos rule!

Written By: Ellipsis on 08/23/04 at 5:36 pm

Personally I couldn't (and still can't) stand all the "gangsta rap" that was dominating on the charts in 1997 (artists like P Diddy and Notorious Big). I listened to artists like Paula Cole, The Wallflowers, Jamiroquai, and the like. I was a senior in high school during the second half of that year.

Written By: jamie on 08/20/05 at 1:35 pm

ZACK DE LA ROCCA FOR PRESIDENT

Written By: tv on 08/20/05 at 7:35 pm

Personally I couldn't (and still can't) stand all the "gangsta rap" that was dominating on the charts in 1997 (artists like P Diddy and Notorious Big). I listened to artists like Paula Cole, The Wallflowers, Jamiroquai, and the like. I was a senior in high school during the second half of that year.
Biggie and P. Diddy are not gangsta rappers. I think what made Puff Daddy at the time was the music that he sampled from other artists. He is a good producer but just not a good musician. I also listened to the Wallflowers and Paula Cole back in 97. I also listened to band like Everclear, and Foo Fighters towards the end of that year.

Written By: tv on 08/20/05 at 7:39 pm

I like 90-94 b/c I was in high school. However, after 1995, I stopped watching b/c I was in college and I gave birth to my first child in the late 90s. I didn't really care about what was discussed. It also made me think the late 90s sucked with the music.

I would hate to have grown up overall in the 90s. Too bad for those that did.

I love my childhood in the 80s! Better show. I remembered and cared about everything in that show!
Hey liked 1995 and 1996 alot musically. 97 had its moments. 98 was more towards R&B music and rappers crossing onto top 40 radio. 1999 was when I started not to feel like the music was not for me anymore. The teen-pop explosion was in full effect in 1999. I love my childhood in the 80's too.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/20/05 at 9:59 pm

"I love the 90's" was okay. I feel the same way that others do on here about the 80's and even the 70's "I Love..." series because those shows are actually chronicling decades that are actually more interesting and plus, I think the older the decade, the more nostalgic you feel about it since it was 20+ years rather than 10+ years. I agree about the statement that growing up in the 80's was definetely better than growing up in the 1990's.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/20/05 at 10:05 pm

Can't believe I forgot to respond here, but I admit to being a fan of all the "I Love" shows (I love to watch/tape alot of VH1's documentaries and lists).

Michael Ian Black is always funny - he's my favorite guy on the panel.

I got some enjoyment out of 1990-96 and even a bit of '97. I admit I absolutely DID NOT like seeing 1998 and 1999 on there though. Don't get me wrong, I actually had a great time those years and I like some of the pop culture. But, in many respects my life then was just a precursor to what it is now (I still go to "school" and a job, still hang out with friends similarly and go to the same places, etc).

Plus I already missed my childhood by then, so it's like "D*mn, you're telling me even THAT is in the past too!" ;)

But my fave years were 1994, 1992 and 1991.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/20/05 at 10:26 pm

But my fave years were 1994, 1992 and 1991.

Yeah, I agree the early 90's was far better to watch than the late 1990's. The late 90's are just all too recent for me to try and start remininscing except, of course, for the good things that happened besides the lack of pop culture.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/01/05 at 2:09 am

BUMP

Yeah, I agree the early 90's was far better to watch than the late 1990's. The late 90's are just all too recent for me to try and start remininscing except, of course, for the good things that happened besides the lack of pop culture.

Yeah, if there'd been a Truman Show-type thing where people discussed and flashed back to every year of my life, I'd probably be a bit more nostalgic for the late 90s. However, pop culture-wise since it's not really distinct enough from the present, it's strange to see it presented in that way.

I'm sure someone my age in 1995 would've been nostalgic for 1989 since it was so different in that regard. 2005 and 1999 are different too, but in far more subtle ways. Overall it's not much removed from six years ago.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/01/05 at 2:59 am

BUMP

Yeah, if there'd been a Truman Show-type thing where people discussed and flashed back to every year of my life, I'd probably be a bit more nostalgic for the late 90s. However, pop culture-wise since it's not really distinct enough from the present, it's strange to see it presented in that way.

I'm sure someone my age in 1995 would've been nostalgic for 1989 since it was so different in that regard. 2005 and 1999 are different too, but in far more subtle ways. Overall it's not much removed from six years ago.

That's just the truth of the matter - 1995 seemed vastly different from 1989 rather than 1999 being vastly different from 2005. Although I am seeing more changes here and there, it just doesn't seem like any huge changes have happened in the last six years - maybe it will take me a few years longer to step back and notice them... like I am doing now.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/03/06 at 2:56 pm

To be honest I wish there was a more serious and comprehensive review of that decade. Listing to comedians berate everything 90's with the same 5 hacky punchlines is not fun. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/03/06 at 6:19 pm

I do think it's a bit too early for true '90s nostalgia. However, I think that the show, from what I've seen, has managed to capture the true feel of the decade as I remember it-the neon or faded colors, grungy feeling, early tech, Seattle themes, backwards baseball cap stuff, scrunchies, overalls, etc. The '90s atmosphere or any decade atmosphere is very hard to describe, especially one as recent as the '90s.

Check for new replies or respond here...