inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Saturday Night Live music performers

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/29/04 at 11:40 pm

I used to watch SNL all the time in the early 90s.  There was this one musical guest though that I cant seem to place.  It seems I remember Sinead O Connor (I think) dumping out at the last minute, so they had a different musical guest.  If it wasnt this time, it was a very similar timeframe. Im thinking 1992 or so.  All I remember was a band with two male singers (and the rest of the band).  They looked like they could have been father and son.  They both had glasses.  The younger guy (upfront) was rather thin, dressed very sharp and trim, possibly in black and red, and had this reddish brown gelled dished hairstyle.  The older guy (behind a little) was a bigger guy, dressed sorta like a farmer, possibly with blue jeans and a white tshirt, and had just a simple gray or white hairstyle.  Im pretty sure at least the older guy was playing a guitar.  From what I remember the older guy kinda looks like Tom Anderson from Beavis and Butthead.

Any ideas?

Subject: Re: Saturday Night Live music performers

Written By: saver on 06/30/04 at 1:49 am

there should be an SNL cast and show list on line..they have a book out in stores so online may have it too.

Good luck..

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/30/04 at 9:18 am

I think that was the Spanic Boys or some other obscure group that replaced Sinead. I think they should've thought twice about rescheduling her when she ripped the Pope's picture on stage after her last song. I know she was exercise her First Amendment rights, but she just chose the wrong venue to do it in. (And yes, I do know she's Irish.)

I used to watch SNL all the time in the early 90s.  There was this one musical guest though that I cant seem to place.  It seems I remember Sinead O Connor (I think) dumping out at the last minute, so they had a different musical guest.  If it wasnt this time, it was a very similar timeframe. Im thinking 1992 or so.  All I remember was a band with two male singers (and the rest of the band).  They looked like they could have been father and son.  They both had glasses.  The younger guy (upfront) was rather thin, dressed very sharp and trim, possibly in black and red, and had this reddish brown gelled dished hairstyle.  The older guy (behind a little) was a bigger guy, dressed sorta like a farmer, possibly with blue jeans and a white tshirt, and had just a simple gray or white hairstyle.  Im pretty sure at least the older guy was playing a guitar.  From what I remember the older guy kinda looks like Tom Anderson from Beavis and Butthead.

Any ideas?

Written By: AL-B on 06/30/04 at 7:34 pm

I think that was the Spanic Boys or some other obscure group that replaced Sinead. I think they should've thought twice about rescheduling her when she ripped the Pope's picture on stage after her last song. I know she was exercise her First Amendment rights, but she just chose the wrong venue to do it in. (And yes, I do know she's Irish.)
I know Spanic Boys was a father/son duo, it could've be them...

Written By: resinchaser on 07/01/04 at 6:20 am

For me the most memorable musical guests on SNL in the 90s are The Tragically Hip. I have both of their perfomances and I watch them regularly. The show was hosted by Dan Akroyd and he was wearing a Canada shirt and he introduced them as "My Friends The Tragically Hip". Beauty Eh! :)

(Edited to add) That their performance was probably the tightest i've ever seen a band on live TV

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/01/04 at 8:37 pm

Hey thanks.  I did some digging about Spanic Boys, and thats indeed who I was thinking of.  I see it was them who replaced Sinead, and they were a father and son duo, and they look pretty much like I remembered them.  I do remember the abundance of guitar work in their music too, just like I read about.

I remember the whole Pope picture thing.  I have the week after that on tape, with Madonna ripping up a pic of Joey Buttofudgeo (SP?) saying "Fight the real enemy!".  Knowing Madonna, I was waiting to see what she would do, I knew she would do something.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/09/04 at 7:21 pm

;) As a fan of anything LOUD and OBNOXIOUS in the 90's...I thought it was cool when RANCID did a guest appearance on SNL! My now-favorite band-P.O.D.-did SNL in 2002,the first song they performed was YOUTH OF THE NATION...I can't believe SNL would have a Christian rock band on their show! ;)

Written By: Lucas on 07/11/04 at 8:37 pm

For me the most memorable musical guests on SNL in the 90s are The Tragically Hip. I have both of their perfomances and I watch them regularly. The show was hosted by Dan Akroyd and he was wearing a Canada shirt and he introduced them as "My Friends The Tragically Hip". Beauty Eh! :)

(Edited to add) That their performance was probably the tightest i've ever seen a band on live TV

Can you tell me whats songs The Hip did on SNL in 1995?  I believe one was nautical disaster, what was the other one?

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 10/31/05 at 11:19 am

I remember the senead*sp O' Conner one when she sange I think an Irish tune during her second song and after the song she ripped the Picture of the Pope (Pope John Paul II at the time) she said "fight the enemy) and I remember the audernce didn't clap there froze silent Imaging if you will the director and the producer yelling the camera guys or someone in the booth to cut to commicals and was she banned for life from SNL and NBC when she did that? and the second memory was when pearl jam was on the show I beleve the days or nights after Kurt's death the lead singer sang some song forgot what was the song called then when they said goodbye (now this I remember) the lead singer showed a K on his shirt when the show ending

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/01/05 at 7:32 pm

I think that SNL really got a clanker when they had MC Hammer(head)on as guest host and musical guest. Why did they go with MC Hammer when someone else BETTER than he is, such as DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince would have gotten just as huge of an audience and huge ratings for NBC? "Yeah put Hammer on, he's soooo popular!"

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 11/01/05 at 8:43 pm

You guys might not believe this, but one of the best SNL performances ever was the Spice Girls back in 1997. They performed 'Wannabe', and not only did they actually sing it live, but it was an extremely raw performance of the song. It made you realize that their album could have been spectacular if it hadn't been polished to sound so perfect. The Spice girls fizzled out quickly, but this one performance proved that they had some potential, but their record company/managers wouldn't allow it to materialize.

Written By: woops on 11/01/05 at 9:46 pm

I have the "SNL 25TH: Musical Perfomances" Vol 1 &2  on CD with a couple good performances from Annie Lennox. Arrested Development, Elvis Costello, Green Day, Dave Matthews Band, Nirvana, REM, David Bowie, etc.

Though the DVD set has more, though don't know if the ones mentioned are in it.  :)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/02/05 at 5:37 am

The Cult did SNL in either the late '80s or early '90s...
And there are still other people here in the States who have no f'n idea who the Cult is(or was)when I say the Cult they say 'Oh you mean Blue Oyster Cult' I say NO there's a British band called the Cult and they say "Who are they! I've never heard of them." Here in Southern NJ 'classic rock' rules radio except for WJSE(non-college alt-rock station) and college radio (WLFR 91. 7 out of Richard Stockton College)!

Check for new replies or respond here...