inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sodas of the 90's

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/10/04 at 3:54 pm

Do you remember...
Crystal Pepsi
Pepsi Kona(Coffee cola)
or
Jolt Cola?

Subject: Re: Sodas of the 90's

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/10/04 at 6:28 pm

Do you remember...
Crystal Pepsi
Pepsi Kona(Coffee cola)
or
Jolt Cola?

Jolt rocks!  They still sell it where I live.

Crystal Pepsi was NASTY tasting.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/10/04 at 6:36 pm

Crystal Pepsi had no taste! But I loved Pepsi Kona...I wonder why they pulled it?

Written By: Dagwood on 07/10/04 at 7:29 pm

I have never heard of Pepsi Kona...maybe it was a test in your market?  I hated Crystal Pepsi and wasn't that fond of Jolt either.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/10/04 at 7:45 pm

I have never heard of Pepsi Kona...maybe it was a test in your market?  I hated Crystal Pepsi and wasn't that fond of Jolt either.
Pepsi Kona was coffee-flavored cola.

Written By: nally on 07/10/04 at 10:59 pm

Do you remember...
Crystal Pepsi

Yes, I believe that one was around from 1992 to about 1995 or so. I couldn't drink it from 1993 to '95, though, since that's when I had braces. As I recall, it was ok.

When did they stop making it?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/11/04 at 3:35 am

Yes, I believe that one was around from 1992 to about 1995 or so. I couldn't drink it from 1993 to '95, though, since that's when I had braces. As I recall, it was ok.

1996 I think. I really thought it lacked a cola taste.

Written By: nally on 07/11/04 at 11:44 am

1996 I think. I really thought it lacked a cola taste.

Well it's been so long since then I forgot what it tasted like. Thanks.

Written By: Howard on 07/11/04 at 1:50 pm

http://crystalpepsi.captainmike.org/crystal_products.jpg

Whoever thought of having this as a soft drink?  ;D

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/11/04 at 10:34 pm

Howard

Maybe if they had sold a Vanilla Diet Crystal Pepsi Edge with Lemon the product would have done better.

;D

LB

Written By: Jessica on 07/12/04 at 12:58 am

Man, why does everyone hate Crystal Pepsi? That was like the only Pepsi product I enjoyed.

Mmmmm.....Jolt cola. Twice the caffeine. Just what an obnoxious teenager needed. ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/12/04 at 7:54 am

Has anyone else here noticed that it is getting harder to find the Coke product that you are looking for at the store?  The bottles of Coke Classic, Coke C2, and Vanilla Coke all look too much alike.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 07/12/04 at 8:06 pm

Has anyone else here noticed that it is getting harder to find the Coke product that you are looking for at the store?  The bottles of Coke Classic, Coke C2, and Vanilla Coke all look too much alike.   :-\\

They all look the same and basically taste just as the same. ???

Howard

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/14/04 at 9:44 pm

Has anyone ever tasted any of the Dr.Brown's sodas? The cream soda ain't bad! But there is one diet soda that tastes like the diet cola from hell.....TAB!

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/15/04 at 5:40 pm

Okay, this is for all those companys out there wanting a fool-proof way to test market their products.  Give 'em to me, ask me what I think and when I say "delicious, wonderfull" HALT ALL PRODUCTION OF THAT PRODUCT.  I loved diet CP 'til they started pasteurizing it breaking down the aspartame and ruining the flavor.  I loved Miller Clear.  It was a lighter refreshing summer beer.  Bring back Crystal pepsi!!  I had 3 friends who should have been able to keep the market afloat......CP was their favorite mix for whiskey.
God lyk!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/15/04 at 6:35 pm

Okay, this is for all those companys out there wanting a fool-proof way to test market their products.  Give 'em to me, ask me what I think and when I say "delicious, wonderfull" HALT ALL PRODUCTION OF THAT PRODUCT.  I loved diet CP 'til they started pasteurizing it breaking down the aspartame and ruining the flavor.  I loved Miller Clear.  It was a lighter refreshing summer beer.   Bring back Crystal pepsi!!  I had 3 friends who should have been able to keep the market afloat......CP was their favorite mix for whiskey.
God lyk!

Crystal Pepsi was one nasty-tasting soda in my opinion! Give me Diet Coke...or give me nothing.

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/16/04 at 4:21 pm

Crystal Pepsi was one nasty-tasting soda in my opinion! Give me Diet Coke...or give me nothing.

Diet Coke!!!  !Dios mio!  I can drink only 'bout 1/4 of a can.  Once it starts getting warm, I find it unpalatable.  I know lots of people that like it though.  I like a soda that you can drink warm, in case I forget to stock the fridge.  Diet Mountain Dew fits the bill.
God lyk!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/23/04 at 11:35 pm

Crystal Pepsi - totally disgusting

Didn't coke try this as well?

Written By: Culver on 08/11/04 at 12:47 pm

I would love to see Pepsi Kona come back even if it was just for a promo or something.  So many of my friends look at me like I'm crazy when  I talk about it because a lot of people have never heard of it.  Anyone have an idea to get it back even if its like a summer thing?

Written By: CanuckLegendSkyLowLow on 08/16/04 at 10:16 pm

I swear, after you got through the first couple of drinks inbecame quite addictive.

I think they laced the bottom with crack :o

Written By: Howard on 08/17/04 at 4:29 pm

Crystal Pepsi - totally disgusting

Didn't coke try this as well?

I don't believe they have.I hope they don't come out with Crystal Coke. :P
That would be nasty. :P

Howard

Written By: mountain on 08/18/04 at 8:06 pm

I remember Crystal Pepsi and Jolt, but I've never heard of Pepsi Kona.

Written By: bj26 on 08/19/04 at 7:04 am

Diet Mountain Dew fits the bill.
God lyk!

No offense intended but warm diet mt. dew is making me nauseated just thinking about it :-X

Written By: scout100 on 09/06/04 at 4:59 pm

How about OK soda? Never did try it, but the cans were cool.
http://home.pacifier.com/~ntierney/okcan3.jpg

Written By: McDonald on 09/09/04 at 10:36 am

OK, I remember a Mountain Dew-ish soda named "Surge" and I think it was put out by Coke. But the soda i look fondly upon was an off brand we used to get up in upstate NY called "Adirondack Cola."

I have many a fond childhood memory with a picture of their label in my head. All you Upstate people... Holla! (lol, I don't really talk like that)

I also remember a product endorsed by Richard Lewis, and it was a juice box for adults called "Boku." They made terrible commercials for it.

Written By: Labrat on 09/09/04 at 12:35 pm

Crystal Pepsi was really good, I guess im one of the few
Jolt I still love,
I remember a diet Chocolate Diet Cola as well cant recall the name but it tasted really bad

A&W cream soda, that was really good as well was this sold in the U.S. or other international markets?

Written By: McDonald on 09/09/04 at 1:24 pm

One more time.... the Adirondack Cola Label....

http://www.adirondackbeverages.com/flavours/graphics/large/adk3cfcola.jpg

Written By: Howard on 09/09/04 at 8:41 pm

OK, I remember a Mountain Dew-ish soda named "Surge" and I think it was put out by Coke. But the soda i look fondly upon was an off brand we used to get up in upstate NY called "Adirondack Cola."

I have many a fond childhood memory with a picture of their label in my head. All you Upstate people... Holla! (lol, I don't really talk like that)

I also remember a product endorsed by Richard Lewis, and it was a juice box for adults called "Boku." They made terrible commercials for it.

I hated Richard Lewis in those Boku commercials.He was so corny.  ;D

Howard

Written By: thundercats_ho on 09/09/04 at 11:13 pm

they still sell a&w cream soda in the states  :)

Written By: Kristen on 09/16/04 at 2:33 am

Who remembers SURGE? It was basically sugar water and it had even more caffeine than MT DEW I think.

Written By: McDonald on 09/16/04 at 10:43 am

I remember it. In fact, if you go up a few posts, I mentioned it. It was really good and I remember my dad always talking about it like it was the ultimate caffeine rush. There was really no more caffeine than I was already used to drinking the myriad of other sodas, but I always wondered what happened to it....

I also remember something called "Citra" which was my soda of choice in High School.

Written By: wagonman76 on 09/16/04 at 11:11 am

I remember Surge, but I didnt really like it.

I still wonder what happened to KICK, that was my all time fav.

Written By: bbigd04 on 09/17/04 at 3:44 pm

One we had this party at our house and I had a case of surge and my cousins and I were drinking it like crazy, I must have had like 6-7 cans of that stuff.

Written By: Ted Swanson on 09/27/04 at 11:12 pm

Wow you actually listened to the dentist when you had braces. Sucker. I ate popcorn and chewed gum and nothing ever happened to me. In fact I now have perfect teeth.

Written By: KimberIndy on 10/03/04 at 10:35 pm

Do you remember...
Crystal Pepsi

I'm not a fan of any sort of Pepsi. Ick.

I remember a skit they did on SNL that was a spoof of the Crystal Pepsi commercials that featured the song "Right Now" by Van Halen. Instead of Pepsi, it was for Crystal GRAVY. Very funny stuff! I still think of that parody every time I hear "Right Now."

Written By: goodsin on 10/09/04 at 9:25 am

Can anyone remember Zero Gravity, came in a variety of flavours, in a clear plastic can- it had wierd gel globules suspended in the liquid. I've got 2 cans of it at home (well out of date, just kept them 'cos they looked cool!) but never actually drank any of it- if anyone has drank this, do you know what happens to the globules when you open the can?

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/09/04 at 12:14 pm

Anyone recall white tab clear... the "first clear cola".... it was vile.

Written By: DaChazman on 10/10/04 at 3:24 pm

I remember it. In fact, if you go up a few posts, I mentioned it. It was really good and I remember my dad always talking about it like it was the ultimate caffeine rush. There was really no more caffeine than I was already used to drinking the myriad of other sodas, but I always wondered what happened to it....

I also remember something called "Citra" which was my soda of choice in High School.

Mmmm...Citra.

I loved that stuff!

Written By: KimberIndy on 10/11/04 at 5:26 pm

I remember a soda called Rondo. It was sort of grapefruity and citrusy, and came in a black can. I used to buy a can of it every day on my way home from school.

Written By: Jakal on 10/14/04 at 6:58 pm

ok im gonna totally agree with kimmy on this one
all pepsi and cokes are ick
;D
im much more of a orange fanta/tango person  :P
although tht Pepsi kona sounds interesting
sugar and coffee
CrAzY!!! hehe

Written By: KimberIndy on 10/17/04 at 5:12 am

What a bargain! Only $29.95 for ONE 12 ounce can!

http://www.sodafavorites.com/CatalogPages/pepsikona.html

Written By: Pink Ranger on 10/17/04 at 4:30 pm

The skating rink by my house still sells Surge. I should have bought some, but then I remembered that I hated it when it came out, and chances are I still hate it.

I remember when Crystal Pepsi came out. How could I forget? My name is Krystal and there wasn't a day that went by where I wasn't called Crystal Pepsi.

Written By: Howard on 10/17/04 at 8:35 pm

http://store1.yimg.com/I/yhst-9360798597018_1815_12161971

Wow! Coffee and Coke.Now,that's a wake up call. :P

Howard

Written By: Joe on 10/28/04 at 1:03 pm

Well if you still want "Adirondack Cola" you might want to head to Price Chopper and pick up some of their cola. It is bottled by the same company and has the same taste as Adirondack Cola. Adirondack Cola is still sold, its just not sold in as many places as it used to be. http://www.adirondackbeverages.com/

Written By: McDonald on 11/05/04 at 8:49 pm

OMG Price Chopper!!!

I remember that is where we used to shop... in Glens Falls, NY.

Alas, no Price Choppers down here in TX. Or Grand Unions, or IGAs, or Shop n Saves... Just Winn Dixies, Krogers, Wal-Marts, Brookshires, Albertsons, Tom Thumbs, and HEBs

Written By: AngeFaitore on 11/12/04 at 11:50 am

I recall Crystal Pepsi going flat really fast.
I remember Surge but I never drank it. I also remember drinking Orbitz (soft drink) at least twice.

Written By: gordon_deppe on 11/13/04 at 8:42 am

I remember Pepsi Crystal too, but does anyone remember "Pepsi Max"?  :o

Written By: annmouse5 on 12/25/04 at 2:15 am

I loved crystal pepsi.  I remember we went to like payless drug store or something and they were giving away free samples in little plastic cups.  I loved it...then next thing I knew it disappeared.  What I really loved was Mello Yello, way better than Mt. Dew.  Where did that go anyway?

Written By: roXie on 01/14/05 at 5:13 am

Just two months ago I was cleaning out my kitchen pantry, and guess what I found?
Two unopened cans of CITRA !!! :o :D ;D Of course I'm going to keep them for e-bay. ;)

roXie

Written By: SpaceHog on 01/14/05 at 2:24 pm

what about squirt?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/14/05 at 6:44 pm

I remember....

JOLT Cola
Barq's
Crystal Pepsi
Pepsi One
Pepsi Max
Fruitopa (more of a juice then a cola)
Snapples (same with the above)

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/15/05 at 4:22 am

I remember Surge from 1996 or so, I don't think it's around anymore.  I tried it once, even though around then, I decided to lower my intake of soda.

I remember seeing a CD with its picture of it(as a promotional thing), lying on the sidewalk by the mall near my high school, and since I didn't want to see it go to waste, I thought I'd pick it up and take it home with me... don't know why.  Guess you could say I "adopted" it :P .  The first song was the best one, but the rest of the CD was tacky, even downright weird on some occasions.

Written By: SpaceHog on 01/20/05 at 10:11 am

I heard that Surge lowered sperm count, thats why they got rid of it.

Written By: Howard on 01/20/05 at 3:02 pm

I heard that Surge lowered sperm count, thats why they got rid of it.

How the hell could it lower sperm count by drinking Surge? ::)

Howard

Written By: SkyLowLow on 01/21/05 at 6:54 pm

Just thinking of Crystal Pepsi makes my mouth water...  :)

Written By: acura32tl on 01/22/05 at 9:06 pm

Anyone remember 'Pop Rocks', the soda?

Written By: SpaceHog on 01/24/05 at 1:32 pm

sort of. I know someone here that has a bottle of it.

Written By: McDonald on 01/24/05 at 4:03 pm

How the hell could it lower sperm count by drinking Surge? ::)

Howard

Allegedly, it is the Yellow 5 colouring in the soda that affects the sperm count... I don't know if that's true, but I know that almost everything Green, Yellow, or Orange has some Yellow 5 in it.

Written By: mr.smith s on 01/24/05 at 5:24 pm

Does anyone remember Orbit?  That was one of the most grossest things to drink. It was like chunks of gelatin or jello in a soda,  SOOOO gross!

peter

Written By: Tammy on 01/24/05 at 5:36 pm

Does anyone remember Orbit?  That was one of the most grossest things to drink. It was like chunks of gelatin or jello in a soda,  SOOOO gross!

peter

Do you mean Orbitz? I actually kinda liked it.  :-http://joelavin.com/orbitz.jpg

Written By: Howard on 01/24/05 at 5:58 pm

Do you mean Orbitz? I actually kinda liked it.  :-http://joelavin.com/orbitz.jpg

What was that stuff in Orbitz? :P

Howard

Written By: SkyLowLow on 01/24/05 at 8:39 pm

Nothing like being thirsty like a dog and having to choke down that crap..

...I tried it... once :)

Written By: 90s boy on 01/24/05 at 10:24 pm

i kida missed out on Crystal Pepsi cause i was to little i was only 5 when it came out what did it tast like?

Written By: Aubster on 02/02/05 at 7:16 pm

Wow I remeber Orbitz .. I was little so I thought that stuff was awesome I only drank it a few times but it was soo cool ..

Do you remember when 711 gave color changing straws with brains in ice cubes in the slurpies? haha I was little ..  :-[

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/06/06 at 1:22 am

Crystal Pepsi all the way, I still have a bottle somewhere.

As to what it taste like, it's just pepsi without the carmal color!

Written By: Ashley Collen on 10/08/08 at 2:58 pm

Their was this soda I drank when I was little i can't remember what it was called. Their were two different kinds they both were clear drinks one had red beads in it and the other had blue beads in it.... does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/10/08 at 7:20 am

Crystal Pepsi would sell awsome in high schools right now.  Our school only allows clear fluids in clear bottles (meaning water) students could load up their water bottles and still get their pop fix..... 8)

Written By: midnite on 10/10/08 at 5:00 pm

Can I get some Ramblin' Root Beer or some Shasta?

Sarah Jessica Parker as Annie?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHcoO1-FKVc

Shhhhhasta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKBGxP1pDsw

Written By: Jessica on 10/10/08 at 5:31 pm

Their was this soda I drank when I was little i can't remember what it was called. Their were two different kinds they both were clear drinks one had red beads in it and the other had blue beads in it.... does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Orbitz.

http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/sodas/10.jpg

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/12/08 at 1:14 am

What was that stuff in Orbitz? :P

The stuff in Orbitz was gellan gum

You can come up with something very similar by engaging in a bit of molecular gastronomy. 

The exact reciipes change as the acidity of the liquid changes, and there are some tricks involved with booze, but some of the world's freakier bartenders are using the techniques with alcoholic solutions such as cointreau.

Back in the real world, you can do this at home.  If you drop a liquid containing alginate (or other gums) into a calcium chloride solution, the reaction will form a skin around the liquid. If you take the globules out of the solution quickly enough (and rinse 'em off in water), the reaction stops, resulting in a gelatinous skin around a glob of liquid.  You get the texture of fine caviar, but in any flavor or color you want!  Carrot juice produces a pretty orangeish (and vegetarian-riendly) "caviar", and isn't so acidic that it gets in the way of the reaction.  If you leave the globules in the solution long enough, the reaction progresses throughout the globule, and it solidifies.

Here is a good explanation of the chemistry.

Orbitz' globs were probably solidified so that they wouldn't burst during packaging/shipping, and their engineers probably had to work very hard to produce a shelf-stable spheres that had almost the exact same density as the soda product (so that the spheres wouldn't all float to the top or immediately sink to the bottom).  Very clever indeed.

There's plenty of info out there -- this guy has a few good recipes.

This blog has lots of good stuff about kitchen chemistry in general, as well as a great starting point and some tips for budding students of molecular gastronomy to keep in mind.

The work can be enjoyed by anyone at any age, can be performed by anyone with 5th-grade level lab skills ("here's how to measure stuff"), and the underlying reactions understood by anyone who took high-school level chemistry.  Fantastic subject matter for anyone looking to play around in the kitchen, and/or spark a kid's interest in chemistry.  (If a science fair's rules permits the ingestion of substances produced by experiment, a homebrew reproduction of Orbitz would be a great project.)

The chemicals you'll be using are used in lots of commercial foods, so all the required materials are available online from food-grade chemical supply houses.  After doing some of these experiments, you'll not only have had fun and eaten some pretty weird stuff, you'll understand a bit more about why some of these chemicals (and similar ones) tend to appear on almost every ingredient label.

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/17/08 at 6:37 pm

One more time.... the Adirondack Cola Label....

http://www.adirondackbeverages.com/flavours/graphics/large/adk3cfcola.jpg

Holla I remember it. I lived most of the eighties and part of the nineties in upstate NY
Like Genesee cream Ale

And nothing could wake you up like a Jolt cola. Kept me from falling asleep behind the wheel lots of times.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/21/08 at 2:52 pm

Do you remember...
Crystal Pepsi
Pepsi Kona(Coffee cola)
or
Jolt Cola?

I remember Crystal Pepsi, but never heard of Pepsi Kona.

I remember trying Jolt Cola once, but I didn't like the taste of it. Maybe I got ahold of an older bottle.

Written By: unkle_john on 10/22/08 at 2:07 pm

Anyone remember Josta soda?

http://chronicle.augusta.com/images/headlines/071697/biz_josta.jpg

Written By: Step-chan on 10/22/08 at 3:42 pm

Anyone remember Josta soda?

http://chronicle.augusta.com/images/headlines/071697/biz_josta.jpg

It sounds familiar, but I don't think I tried it.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/25/08 at 9:53 pm

Howard

I maybe in the minority here, but I loved Crystal Pepsi and kept drinking it until I quit drinking Pepsi all together in 1998. It wasn't because of Crystal Pepsi it was for other reasons.  ::) But If Crystal Pepsi came back, I'd be in the store buying CASES of it!

Written By: Step-chan on 10/30/08 at 10:19 pm

I maybe in the minority here, but I loved Crystal Pepsi and kept drinking it until I quit drinking Pepsi all together in 1998. It wasn't because of Crystal Pepsi it was for other reasons.  ::) But If Crystal Pepsi came back, I'd be in the store buying CASES of it!

It didn't have any dyes in it either.

Written By: retro_geek on 01/07/09 at 6:41 pm

I'm in the handful of people that actually LIKED Crystal Pepsi.  I was 11 when it came out and I thought it was some dee-licious soda.  I certainly wouldn't object to seeing it make a return to store shelves someday.

Check for new replies or respond here...