inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Michael Bolton

Written By: eightiesfan on 07/20/04 at 7:41 am

What did you think of Michael Bolton's music in the 90's?  Was it romantic to you or did it just make you want to retch?

I personally could have lived without it, but that's just my opinion.

Subject: Re: Michael Bolton

Written By: Paul on 07/20/04 at 7:49 am

To be fair to the man, he did have a fine voice and the arrangement of his songs were spot on...sadly (I call it 'Whitney' syndrome...) overall it lacked something, which is probably why not a lot of his stuff stands out (not to me, anyway)...Mariah can also be accused of having this problem...

But at least he did get his hair cut eventually...!!

Written By: bj26 on 07/20/04 at 8:45 am

He would always start a song off mellow but by the end his veins were popping out and screaming like he was about to explode :o

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/20/04 at 8:50 am

I'm a sucker for romantic music, but he truly makes my stomach turn.  I think Bolton & Celine Dion are both just horrid.

Written By: Harmonica on 07/20/04 at 10:24 am

I get into the  How Am I supposed to Live Without you song.  "Now that everything I've been living for is gone" The line gets to me, it truley does.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/20/04 at 11:11 am

I like some romantic music but his music I really liked the sound of.  Sure it was cheezy if you really listened to the words.  I thought his hair was cool too, didnt know he cut it off.

Written By: Kass on 07/20/04 at 2:05 pm

For whatever reason, Michael Bolton was one of those guys that is always unintentionally funny.  Him and his friend Steven Segal.

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 07/20/04 at 10:27 pm

I have the greatest hits CD :::hangs head in shame:::

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/20/04 at 10:46 pm

He STOLE a song and lied about it! "When A Man Loves A Woman" by PERCY FAITH...was taken by the idiot and when he was sued for doing so, he denied it was ever written by anyone but him.....

Written By: zcrito on 07/20/04 at 11:17 pm

I'm a sucker for romantic music, but he truly makes my stomach turn.  I think Bolton & Celine Dion are both just horrid.

I don't know, I think Celine may have some songs worth listening to. Have we done a Celine Dion music poll already?  ???

Does anyone remember the movie "Office Space" and the character named Michael Bolton ?

;)

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/21/04 at 12:08 am

Does anyone remember the movie "Office Space" and the character named Michael Bolton ?

;)

Why should I be the one to change my name?  He's the one who sucks!

Written By: zcrito on 07/21/04 at 1:48 am

Why should I be the one to change my name?  He's the one who sucks!

"Does anyone remember the movie "Office Space" and the character named Michael Bolton ?"

It looks like lebe does.  ;D ;D

Written By: mandamoo on 07/21/04 at 6:23 am

He just makes me want to retch  :P

Written By: eightiesfan on 07/21/04 at 7:30 am

He STOLE a song and lied about it! "When A Man Loves A Woman" by PERCY FAITH...was taken by the idiot and when he was sued for doing so, he denied it was ever written by anyone but him.....

I heard he was sued for the song "Love is a Wonderful Thing" because he copied it from a similar song done by the Isley Brothers in the 60's, then when he lost the case he said that he wished he could have had a jury of twelve music critics rule on it.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/21/04 at 7:53 am

I think he is one of the biggest loads of horse hockey to hit the market in recent times  >:(  :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/21/04 at 8:19 am

I heard he was sued for the song "Love is a Wonderful Thing" because he copied it from a similar song done by the Isley Brothers in the 60's, then when he lost the case he said that he wished he could have had a jury of twelve music critics rule on it.
Either way....I still think he's a piece of Sh*t :P

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/21/04 at 8:22 am

Are you sure you aren't talking about the song "Love Is A Wonderful Thing"? 

Written By: Jennifer028 on 07/21/04 at 4:15 pm

I have his greatest hits cd...I have always liked him, even when I was little.  "How am I supposed to live without you" reminds me of 8th-9th grade.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/21/04 at 4:44 pm

Must be... :-\\

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/21/04 at 11:17 pm

There are worse singers.  Don't care for him at all, but there are worse.

Written By: Jane on 07/22/04 at 7:16 am

I get into the  How Am I supposed to Live Without you song.  "Now that everything I've been living for is gone" The line gets to me, it truley does.

Betcha didn't know that song was originally done by the singer Laura Branigan. Her version is better, but Bolton's version is the one that everyone knows.

Written By: eightiesfan on 07/22/04 at 8:27 am

From the can you believe it department - Did you know that Michael Bolton used to sing lead in a heavy metal band before switching to adult contemporary crooner?

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/22/04 at 11:03 am

Betcha didn't know that song was originally done by the singer Laura Branigan. Her version is better, but Bolton's version is the one that everyone knows.

I like Laura Branigan.  I noticed too that many of the songs on her greatest hits album were covered later by someone, and nobody really knows Branigan originally did it.

Written By: Koop on 07/22/04 at 11:48 am

I've never understood the whole Michael Bolton thing, but he WAS pretty popular, especially in the early 90's.  I remember sometime in the early to mid-80's when he was actually going the metal route.  MTV used to play a video of his called "Fool's Game", which I actually kinda liked.  :D

Written By: redhead007 on 07/22/04 at 12:35 pm

I like Laura Branigan.  I noticed too that many of the songs on her greatest hits album were covered later by someone, and nobody really knows Branigan originally did it.

Yea. It really stinks that nobody else really knows that she sang them originally.  :-\\ Another one of the songs that he wrote that she did but was covered by someone else was Cher's I Found Someone. Hers is the better version vocally, but the production isn't as good as Cher's.

Written By: AL-B on 07/22/04 at 7:37 pm

I think he is a poophead.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/22/04 at 8:43 pm

I've never understood the whole Michael Bolton thing, but he WAS pretty popular, especially in the early 90's.  I remember sometime in the early to mid-80's when he was actually going the metal route.  MTV used to play a video of his called "Fool's Game", which I actually kinda liked.   :D

I do remember seeing tapes in the store a good 10 years ago, it kinda looked like him on the cover but it said Michael Boloton, not Michael Bolton.  Was this him?

Written By: bj26 on 07/23/04 at 7:19 am

He covered a Tubes song, I don't want to wait anymore, in his style that I didn't like, Fee Waybill sang it mucho better.  Anyway, Bolton had mucho sex appeal and turned on his female fans.  I didn't like his singing style but was also a little jealous that he had all that sex appeal!

Written By: eightiesfan on 07/23/04 at 7:36 am

I do remember seeing tapes in the store a good 10 years ago, it kinda looked like him on the cover but it said Michael Boloton, not Michael Bolton.  Was this him?

I think his real name is Michael Boloton.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/23/04 at 8:41 am

I think his real name is Michael Boloton.

Actually his real name is Michael Bolotin with an "i" ;)

Subject: Live without you

Written By: Echo Nomad on 12/01/05 at 11:32 pm

Written By: woops on 12/02/05 at 12:40 am

Liked the "In Living Color" sketch where Jim Carey spoofed him and his head blew up!  :D

...though didn't know he was a real singer at the time and good thing I wasn't listening to the radio at the time

Written By: whistledog on 12/02/05 at 1:06 am

I didn't mind Michael Bolton's music, and I don't mind admitting that.  LOL

He had a few good songs, though it wouldn't be a real big loss if he never sang again  ;D

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/03/05 at 10:06 am

http://www.luminomagazine.com/2004.03/spotlight/officespace/images/bolton/bolton4.jpg

Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Samir Na-gheen-an-a-jar. Nagheenanajar.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys.
Samir: Hmm... well why don't you just go by Mike instead of Michael?
Michael Bolton: No way. Why should I change? He's the one who sucks.

Written By: robby76 on 12/03/05 at 10:15 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/03/05 at 10:31 am

Here is a disturbing thought: There are people, and we all know they're out there, who have sex while listening to Michael Bolton.

Written By: whistledog on 12/03/05 at 10:43 pm

Here is a disturbing thought: There are people, and we all know they're out there, who have sex while listening to Michael Bolton.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 12/04/05 at 12:29 am

I'd probably have to say that he hit his peak of popularity with "How am I supposed to live without you" back in 1990. However afterwards he seemed to overstay his welcome afterward. Basically the same thing happen to Celine Dion with "Titanic". Everyone overdosed and then got sick of her. I remember the first negitive C.D. joke I heard was on David Lettermen. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/04/05 at 8:58 am

I've always tended to be more into pop and rock, but I admit I always liked a variety, including sappy, mushy love songs. ;)

That said, what I'll say about Michael Bolton is this. Both then and now, he's one of those artists where I can listen to one or two songs and like it, but if I hear any more than that in a row, I get sick of it pretty fast.

He really had the "80's ballad distilled even more by 90's pop/AC" sound going. But he did it well on "Said I Loved You But I Lied" - I always really liked that one (guilty pleasure!).

A little known fact was that he started out as a metal singer - kind of in the Foreigner meets hair band vein. "How Can We Be Lovers" was probably his only popular era hit to kinda recall this phase of his career, so I like that one too.

Check for new replies or respond here...