inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What cartoons you remember the most in the 90s?

Written By: Kyle on 07/24/04 at 4:40 pm

There are otsl of cartoons in the '90s that were considered quality children's programming and memorable.  Here's the list:

The Ren and Stimpy Show
Very funny, I can't even resist laughing when that cartoon came on the air.  Pretty much like today's Spongebob Squarepants, it uses lots of slapstick humor and even a little bit of sattire.  This show rocks.
The Powerpuff Girls
Came out in the late 1990s, about 98.  It was originally intended for 2nd to 3rd grade girls, like Barney was intended for...retarded 2 year olds, boys like it too, and they are fully masculine.  One problem there was too much Mojo-JoJo and Princess, but I still had the same belly laughs during that time period. 

Pokémon
Gotta catch em' all was the trademark, and it really caught on.  Even in the smallest villages, Pokémon was big.  Like PPG, it was intended for 6-12 years of age, even above.  You can still watch Pokemon on the WB and Cartoon Network.

2 Stupid Dogs
Those dogs were stupid, but they were funny.  They always seem to cause some very nutty scheme, but most of them didn't work.  A good rip off from Cow and Chicken, which had anither series in middle or end episode.  Secret Squirrel was less funny, but I got a few laughs from it.

Cow and Chicken

STUPID!  One time, they were making fun of the Elementary to High School transition, and I was afraid to even step into the high school ever since.  Now I know it's just plain ol' sattire humor.  Why do they NOT show the parents heads?  Another series, I R Weasal was the last segment show.

These are only a few, tell me your opinions.

Subject: Re: What cartoons you remember the most in the 90s?

Written By: Harmonica on 07/24/04 at 11:55 pm

I liked David The Gnombe, Doug, Rocco's Modern Life, and other's that I can't remember right now.

Written By: resinchaser on 07/25/04 at 5:56 am

Beavis And Butthead!

When I was in highschool I remember when my friend would bring back episodes of that show when he would go to the states.

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/25/04 at 8:05 am

I don't know I think I liked.... what's it called...mmmmmmm DOH!
God lyk!

Written By: Kyle on 07/25/04 at 3:03 pm

You mean.... The Simpsons?

Written By: Koop on 07/25/04 at 3:22 pm

Ren and Stimpy
Beavis and Butt-Head
The Simpsons
King of the Hill
Daria
Johnny Bravo (most people I know hate it, but I think it's funny in a cheesy way)

and of course, my favorite, South Park.  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 07/25/04 at 5:53 pm

I liked David The Gnombe, Doug, Rocco's Modern Life, and other's that I can't remember right now.

David the Gnome was one of my favourite cartoons featuring the voice of Tom Boswell (Father Dowling/Mr Cunningham from Happy Days.

Stuff I watched in the early/mid 90s (may not have been from the 90s mind . . .)

Sharkey and George
Little shop of Horrors
Hammerman
New kids on the block (oh-hum)
Kid and Play
Alfred J Kwak
Star Street

There are others I'm sure . . .  ::)  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 07/25/04 at 5:58 pm

Ren and Stimpy
The Simpsons
King of the Hill
Daria
Johnny Bravo (most people I know hate it, but I think it's funny in a cheesy way)

and of course, my favorite, South Park.  ;D

I love these Koop. I didn't think much of Beavis and Butthead and I thought King of the Hill was a bit twee in places.

I understand what you mean about Johnny Bravo though - It is so funny.  ;D

Written By: Harmonica on 07/26/04 at 12:12 am

David the Gnome was one of my favourite cartoons featuring the voice of Tom Boswell (Father Dowling/Mr Cunningham from Happy Days.

No sheesh?  Huh that really amazes me.  I always liked Tom Boswell and now that you say that I can match up David's voice to Richie's dad on Happy days. That is so cool.

Written By: bj26 on 07/26/04 at 11:13 am

Rocko and CatDog
MTV Oddities

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/26/04 at 2:58 pm

There was a cartoon series on MTV during the very early nineties (90-92) called Liquid Television. It would have serials like "Aeon Flux" and "Beavis and Butthead" - that's where the show hit off.

Tanya

Written By: eightiesfan on 07/26/04 at 4:03 pm

Rugrats was a guilty pleasure of mine.

Written By: Bobby on 07/26/04 at 4:42 pm

No sh**?  Huh that really amazes me.  I always liked Tom Boswell and now that you say that I can match up David's voice to Richie's dad on Happy days. That is so cool.

Lol. I made a mistake, Harmonica. His name was Tom Bosley - still it's the same man and I think he is a great actor.  :)

Written By: nally on 08/05/04 at 6:13 pm

I mostly watched cartoons in the early 90s. Some of the cartoons I watched were originally from the 80s, but there are some that began in 1990 or later, such as:

Tiny Toon Adventures
Tale Spin
Beetlejuice
Goof Troop
Animaniacs
Pinky and the Brain

Written By: ... (Ellipsis) on 09/08/04 at 3:01 pm

Tiny Toon Adventures
Tale Spin
Beetlejuice
Goof Troop
Animaniacs
Pinky and the Brain

Those were good. So was "The Simpsons" during its first few seasons.

Written By: bj26 on 09/09/04 at 7:11 am

There are otsl of cartoons in the '90s that were considered quality children's programming and memorable.  Here's the list:

Cow and Chicken

STUPID!  One time, they were making fun of the Elementary to High School transition, and I was afraid to even step into the high school ever since.  Now I know it's just plain ol' sattire humor.  Why do they NOT show the parents heads?  Another series, I R Weasal was the last segment show.

These are only a few, tell me your opinions.

lol - these were some pretty insane cartoons! Remember in Cow & Chicken how the Dad drove a car with his feet & dressed in drag? A cartoon trying to appeal to the entire social strata.

Written By: McDonald on 09/09/04 at 10:26 am

My personal favourite was Davind the Gnome. It came on Nickleodeon at like noon when I was little, and I love love loved it. He had like a gnome wife and he rode around the forest on a fox, and he fought with the bad trolls. I just thought it was lovely.

I also was a big fan of the Gummie Bears. They fought that evil prince guy, and whenever they drank the gummie juice they could bounce really high. Speaking of really high, the creators of this toon were probably really high when they thought of it.

Let's see... The Mystic Knights of Tír na nÓg wasn't a cartoon. It was more like the power rangers, celtic style. It was so awesome and though I was around 12 when it came on and probably a little too old to watch it... I was captivated.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/04 at 8:52 pm

Lol. I made a mistake, Harmonica. His name was Tom Bosley - still it's the same man and I think he is a great actor.  :)

Is he still alive,Tom Bosley? What is he doing these days? ???

http://www.laatlantida.net/aut54.jpeg

Howard

Written By: Nicola on 10/13/04 at 4:16 pm

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER the name of a cartoon on telly where there was a crystal in the tower which kepy getting stolen and the main character(don't know what animal he was) had to save it. He was friends with people that lived in the woods and flew around on leaves. Mad i know but i used to love it and have no idea what it's called, has been annoying me forever. Please help!

Written By: Jakal on 10/14/04 at 6:47 pm

I'd have to say
The Simpsons
Ren and Stimpy
2 Stupid dogs (the big one was my fav  :D)
The Animaniacs

Written By: Harmonica on 10/15/04 at 11:01 am

I really enjoyed the story type cartoon of "Grimm's Fairytale Classic"

Written By: FrankySaysRelax on 10/16/04 at 2:21 pm

I remember:
Police Academy
Camp Candy
Doug
Rugrats
Hammerman
Beetljuice
TMNJ

Boy do I miss those days of good cartoons : (

Written By: poo on 11/08/04 at 1:33 pm

what was the old cartoon called that was about 5 aleins the lived in the attic of an abandond house and they would spy on people that moved in downstairs?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/09/04 at 10:24 pm

what was the old cartoon called that was about 5 aleins the lived in the attic of an abandond house and they would spy on people that moved in downstairs?

It was called Space Goofs, interesting side note, Iggy Pop did the theme song for the show.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/09/04 at 10:43 pm

My least favorite cartoon was Hammerman, it was lame!

I remember....

Yo Yogi
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Dexter's Laboratory
Graveyard High
Aeon Flux
The Head
Maxx
The Pirates of Dark Water
Captain Planet and The Planeteers
Captain N & the Adventures of Super Mario Bros 3

Written By: poofer007 on 11/10/04 at 11:50 am

oooh thats right! thank you so much that was killing me!!
but to add i remember..

Ren & Stimpy
Digimon
Tiny Toons
early Simpsons
Angry Beavers
2 Stupid Dogs
and Rockos Modern Life
oh and also South Park but i still watch that today.

Written By: nakatabloom on 11/11/04 at 4:13 pm

I think The Simpsons is an all times cartoon, but Beavis & Butthead is an 90's icon

Written By: AngeFaitore on 11/12/04 at 9:55 am

Beavis & Butthead
I believe I started watching this when I was 11 or 12. I snuck around to see it because Mom didn't like it  ;D

Sonic the Hedgehog
Better known as SatAM. The ABC edition of Sonic. The best children's cartoon of the 1990s.

The Simpsons
Well duh.

Captain Planet
Worst cartoon on Earth with the worst love theme ever.

The Real Ghostbusters
Yeah, I know the copyright is 1987, but this ran well into the early 1990s. I have it on a tape of ABC Saturday Morning (Along with the AM Posse! I wonder where the Posse actors are now.) 

Written By: ryan777 on 12/04/04 at 12:08 pm

:) my alltime fav would have to be scooby doo i no its from the late 70s earyl 80s but it was on anyway i also liked gummie bear i think thats what its callled inspecter gadget the newer voltron digimon super mario brothers garfeild and freinds and this 1 show i dont no the name but the main character was a dog and on the show he kept windin up in bettween this old ladys boobs i no retarded but it wasnt the main plot well any way i have to say i dont no how i remember these shows im 13 well im out

peace man

p.s that reminds me the simpson o fudge how did i forget the simpsons i must be stond anyway later

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/04/04 at 12:46 pm

Beavis & Butthead
I believe I started watching this when I was 11 or 12. I snuck around to see it because Mom didn't like it  ;D

Sonic the Hedgehog
Better known as SatAM. The ABC edition of Sonic. The best children's cartoon of the 1990s.

The Simpsons
Well duh.

Captain Planet
Worst cartoon on Earth with the worst love theme ever.

The Real Ghostbusters
Yeah, I know the copyright is 1987, but this ran well into the early 1990s. I have it on a tape of ABC Saturday Morning (Along with the AM Posse! I wonder where the Posse actors are now.) 

Captain Planet
Worst cartoon on Earth with the worst love theme ever

I agree... the theme song is pretty weak!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/04/04 at 12:49 pm

Ren and Stimpy is one of my favorites! I also remember the X-Men cartoon.

http://www.jas.com/wolverineworld/WGallery/3/big/Cart17.jpg

Written By: triciamarie1972 on 12/05/04 at 4:07 pm

Beavis and Butthead and Rockos Modern Life  ;)

Written By: figwig on 01/04/05 at 1:25 pm

Best:

Simpsons
Ren and Stimpy
Rocko's M L
Two stupid Dogs
Secret squirrel
South Park   

Worst:

Animaniacs
Tiny Toons

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/04/05 at 7:20 pm

Sonic the Hedgehog both versions

Written By: mitch1987 on 01/04/05 at 7:28 pm

X men( I even have a copy of the original X men cartoon where Wolverine has an Australian accent  :o), Batman Animated, Tale Spin and Darkwing Duck. Pirates of Dark Water was a good one to. Exosquad as well.

Written By: whistledog on 10/31/05 at 10:27 pm

how about Rick Moranis in Gravedale High?  ;D

http://epguides.com/GravedaleHigh/cast.jpg

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/01/05 at 7:47 pm

Sonic the Hedgehog both versions
and oh yeah The Simpsons. I remember when the show first got popular, I was in a Spencer Gifts store and some kid wanted a Bart Simpson figure and his Mom would not get it for him, she said "I don't want you watching Bart Simpson" like Bart REALLY caused kids to misbehave...

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 11/02/05 at 4:59 pm

I agree worst cartoon ever is cow and chicken with I am weasel cartoons

Check for new replies or respond here...