inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What? Alternative is considered classic (oldie) music now?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/25/04 at 10:29 pm

I'm watching the VH1 Classic channel. They are doing 2 hours of alternative music videos. Yes, cool. However, it's on a channel that plays music videos of songs from the sixties through the eighties (which is bad enough).

How did the Alternative music scene become classic music? It only occurred 14 years ago. I was a freshman in high school! WTF?  :o

What are your feelings about this?

Tanya

Subject: Re: What? Alternative is considered classic (oldie) music now?

Written By: Harmonica on 07/26/04 at 12:14 am

Don't know

Why does CMT Country Music Station play Rock n Roll video's like John Mellencamps Pink Houses?

A lot of questions are based on people's biased opinions and trying to turn them into facts. A lot of the world is that way.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/26/04 at 1:59 am

Yeah, I don't get the CMT thing either. Oh well. I guess I should buy my Geritol now  ;)

Tanya

Written By: Powerslave on 07/29/04 at 7:43 pm

14 years is a long time Tanya. The music I was listening to in high school was considered "old" by the mid 90s, and I was in high school until 1987. Any song older than 10 years old and still enjoying considerable airplay is a classic really.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/04 at 8:13 pm

They actually play early 90's music on my radio station that goes back to 1990-1995.

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/30/04 at 2:15 am

14 years is a long time Tanya. The music I was listening to in high school was considered "old" by the mid 90s, and I was in high school until 1987. Any song older than 10 years old and still enjoying considerable airplay is a classic really.

Thanks for breaking it down for me. Maybe I wasn't accepting my age!

Tanya

Written By: gumbypiz on 07/30/04 at 2:20 pm

I'm watching the VH1 Classic channel. They are doing 2 hours of alternative music videos. Yes, cool. However, it's on a channel that plays music videos of songs from the sixties through the eighties (which is bad enough).

How did the Alternative music scene become classic music? It only occurred 14 years ago. I was a freshman in high school! WTF?  :o

Tanya

I know what your saying, but the problem is with the term “alternative”. It really doesn’t describe the music or artists.

For example, in the (early) 80’s when I was in high school, the Cure, Smiths, Red Hot Chili Peppers, REM were “alternative”. Obviously these bands have a vastly different sound and style to one another, so “alternative” doesn’t do any one any good at describing “alternative” music or the artists that were lumped in to the category.
I worked in a record shop in the late 80’s early 90’s and loved giving people a hard time on this subject.
They’d ask, “Where is your alternative section?”
I’d say, “Alternative to what?”
I mean I’ve yet to be in a record/music shop with an “alternative” section...

Alternative was just a catch all for somewhat popular or underground artists that weren’t getting airplay on the local & typical Top 40 AOR radio at the time. You might of heard “alternative” bands on a college radio stations or WHFS in DC, 91X in Detroit, KROQ in LA, or on MTV’s 120 minutes (remember that?) in the 80’s, but not much anywhere else (in the US anyway). I guess in years before the 80’s people used the term “progressive” which is no better, but helps describe the less then conventional direction of the music.

As we got into the 90’s a lot of these bands became very popular and broke out big time, now they were pop mainstream and selling millions of copies of albums. It became difficult to describe any artist as alternative when it’s getting the same airplay as the other pop artists of the day. What was so “alternative” about the band and the music then?

Oldies or classic rock as a description of music is just as bad, once some tune is popular enough or played enough it can eventually become an Oldie.
It’s all up to the program director of the station to make the call; it’s just got to be something that was popular enough, familiar enough and comfortable with their listening audience.

But I know what you saying though, it makes my hair turn gray, feeling really old to hear a early U2, Smiths, or Cure tune from the 80’s on an oldies station.... Still waiting for Public Enemy or NWA’s “F*** tha Police” to show up on an oldies station. Not holding my breath though. ;)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/31/04 at 12:52 am

I know what your saying, but the problem is with the term “alternative”. It really doesn’t describe the music or artists.

For example, in the (early) 80’s when I was in high school, the Cure, Smiths, Red Hot Chili Peppers, REM were “alternative”. Obviously these bands have a vastly different sound and style to one another, so “alternative” doesn’t do any one any good at describing “alternative” music or the artists that were lumped in to the category.
I worked in a record shop in the late 80’s early 90’s and loved giving people a hard time on this subject.
They’d ask, “Where is your alternative section?”
I’d say, “Alternative to what?”
I mean I’ve yet to be in a record/music shop with an “alternative” section...

Alternative was just a catch all for somewhat popular or underground artists that weren’t getting airplay on the local & typical Top 40 AOR radio at the time. You might of heard “alternative” bands on a college radio stations or WHFS in DC, 91X in Detroit, KROQ in LA, or on MTV’s 120 minutes (remember that?) in the 80’s, but not much anywhere else (in the US anyway). I guess in years before the 80’s people used the term “progressive” which is no better, but helps describe the less then conventional direction of the music.

As we got into the 90’s a lot of these bands became very popular and broke out big time, now they were pop mainstream and selling millions of copies of albums. It became difficult to describe any artist as alternative when it’s getting the same airplay as the other pop artists of the day. What was so “alternative” about the band and the music then?

Oldies or classic rock as a description of music is just as bad, once some tune is popular enough or played enough it can eventually become an Oldie.
It’s all up to the program director of the station to make the call; it’s just got to be something that was popular enough, familiar enough and comfortable with their listening audience.

But I know what you saying though, it makes my hair turn gray, feeling really old to hear a early U2, Smiths, or Cure tune from the 80’s on an oldies station.... Still waiting for Public Enemy or NWA’s “F*** tha Police” to show up on an oldies station. Not holding my breath though. ;)

Thanks for the great explanation. Have you seen High Fidelity? I can see you in that shop. You record snob!  ;D

As far as NWA and Public Enemy goes, it's part of our reportoire as far as music is concerned. It will show up. I was joking the other day with my fiance how we'll be dancing to "OPP" by Naughty by Nature at the retirement home.

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 07/31/04 at 10:05 am

Before you know it Christina Agulera,Lil Kim,Missy Elliott,Mario Winans, & Beyone will all become classic jams 15 years from now.By the year 2020. ;D

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/31/04 at 11:32 am

Before you know it Christina Agulera,Lil Kim,Missy Elliott,Mario Winans, & Beyone will all become classic jams 15 years from now.By the year 2020. ;D

Howard

That may not be a good thing! Eww!

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 07/31/04 at 11:41 am

That may not be a good thing! Eww!

Tanya

Oh Really? It's pretty possible!  :D

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 07/31/04 at 11:49 am

I knew there was a reason to look forward to the future.  ???  ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/01/04 at 11:19 am

I knew there was a reason to look forward to the future.  ???  ;D

Well,that's the future for ya!  ;D

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/01/04 at 11:25 am

Tanya
The way I feel is this: I called one of the local "Oldies" stations in 1994 and asked why they had for years, only played stuff up to 1973....the guy told me they didn't consider anything newer than 1973 to be an "Oldie"....I called that same station last year and they said that now they won't go past 1975...so I guess for a song to be a classic it runs like "Soap Opera time"...meaning for a Nirvana song to become an "Oldie" It'll have to be somewhere past the year 2025 ::)

BTW...what's so bad about videos from the 60's through the 80's....I LIKE them  ???:-\\ :-[

Written By: Powerslave on 08/04/04 at 2:51 am

Before you know it Christina Agulera,Lil Kim,Missy Elliott,Mario Winans, & Beyone will all become classic jams 15 years from now.

No they won't. Most of those artists will barely be even remembered in five years from now, never mind 15.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/04/04 at 11:56 am

BTW...what's so bad about videos from the 60's through the 80's....I LIKE them   ???:-\\ :-[

Oh no, sweetheart, I'm not raggin on these videos. I am an avid watcher of this channel. It just struck me as a surprise that they had two hours devoted to music of the early nineties that's all.

Tanya

Subject: Alternative

Written By: Echo Nomad on 12/01/05 at 11:49 pm

The way I feel is this: I called one of the local "Oldies" stations in 1994 and asked why they had for years, only played stuff up to 1973....the guy told me they didn't consider anything newer than 1973 to be an "Oldie"....I called that same station last year and they said that now they won't go past 1975...so I guess for a song to be a classic it runs like "Soap Opera time"...meaning for a Nirvana song to become an "Oldie" It'll have to be somewhere past the year 2025 ::)

BTW...what's so bad about videos from the 60's through the 80's....I LIKE them

Written By: woops on 12/02/05 at 12:43 am

I usually refer to stuff I'm into currently as "classics"

Hey, Disney called their then current animated movies "classic" like "The Lion King"...

Written By: Satish on 12/02/05 at 10:55 am

Yeah, it does make you feel old when stuff you can remember when it was around the first time starts getting referred to as "classic" and "retro". I'm 25, and I've been going through that the past little while.  :(

But you have to face it, eventually, after enough time goes by, everything's gonna be considered out of style and "retro". One of the radio stations in my area does a "retro" night every week, and I've recently heard them start playing songs from 1997 and 98 on it.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 12/02/05 at 3:05 pm

this is a true story I was going to New Hampshire with my mom and dad we went to eather albany or buffalo NY and I hear this station forgot the call letters and they had 70's 80's and 90's music in one station I was awestrucked to hear a rado station play's 90's music and now they concereded 90's music a classic!

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/04/05 at 8:05 am

There's a difference between "chronological oldies" and "perceived oldies".

I was born in 1981, but because I remember a good deal of 80's songs when they were new (hey, I listened to music when I was as young as 4 or so!) it will never be old "to me". So, of course 90's music won't be either.

Overall, I'd say 30 years is a good timespan. So anything before 1975. Although even 70's music doesn't sound "old" old to me.

Alternative became mainstream around 1992 or '93 (alot of people lump it in with grunge, but to me it's a little poppier and less angsty, even if it covers the same overall ground) and to an extent, it still is. Although its highlight years were probably 1993-98 or so.

That seems like pretty much yesterday to me. Smashing Pumpkins, Offspring, Collective Soul, Candlebox - yeah, it seems slightly past its prime, but not really dated per se.

Written By: Criz on 12/04/05 at 3:18 pm

I once saw Destiny's Child - Independant Woman played on....Vh1 classic. What the hell ? ? ? ?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 8:49 pm

Oldies = 1955-1980

Written By: Austin on 02/25/06 at 10:11 pm

I've noticed this. I was born in '83, but I remember so much about Alternative Music. The local station played Heart Shaped Box once recently , and they announced it as " A song from Nirvana, a band that hit it's heydey in the early 90's, something, something". My oldest sister (she's turning 30 this year) was with me and she was like "WTF ???" The guy said it like he was teaching a history class or something.

I was young, but I remember all of them pretty well, as there never was anything on in my house except MTV. lol, my mother not too long ago accussed my sisters of "ruining my childhood". I often wonder what all my neighbors think about my parents letting me listen to it( and watch B&B) at that age. We lived around several elderly couples, and you know how they could be.

Written By: BloodOnTheRisers on 02/25/06 at 10:11 pm

I've noticed this. I was born in '83, but I remember so much about Alternative Music. The local station played Heart Shaped Box once recently , and they announced it as " A song from Nirvana, a band that hit it's heydey in the early 90's, something, something". My oldest sister (she's turning 30 this year) was with me and she was like "WTF ???" The guy said it like he was teaching a history class or something.

I was young, but I remember all of them pretty well, as there never was anything on in my house except MTV. lol, my mother not too long ago accussed my sisters of "ruining my childhood". I often wonder what all my neighbors think about my parents letting me listen to it( and watch B&B) at that age. We lived around several elderly couples, and you know how they could be.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/25/06 at 10:51 pm

VH1 Classic plays pretty much anything but what is played on regular VH1.  I wouldn't get alarmed.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 02/26/06 at 10:17 am

There's a difference between "chronological oldies" and "perceived oldies".

I was born in 1981, but because I remember a good deal of 80's songs when they were new (hey, I listened to music when I was as young as 4 or so!) it will never be old "to me". So, of course 90's music won't be either.

Overall, I'd say 30 years is a good timespan. So anything before 1975. Although even 70's music doesn't sound "old" old to me.

Alternative became mainstream around 1992 or '93 (alot of people lump it in with grunge, but to me it's a little poppier and less angsty, even if it covers the same overall ground) and to an extent, it still is. Although its highlight years were probably 1993-98 or so.

That seems like pretty much yesterday to me. Smashing Pumpkins, Offspring, Collective Soul, Candlebox - yeah, it seems slightly past its prime, but not really dated per se.

The thing is, I considered the 60s to be "oldies" back during the actual 80s.  Granted I was a child and young teenager back then, but it felt like that was what a lot of people under 30 thought of the 1960s back in the 1980s.  That was a mere 20 years difference.  (I still can't get over the fact how recent the 60s really were in the 80s, 15-23 years or so was really nothing.  It's only now that I realize that.)

AMC (American Movie Classics) plays 90s movies all the time.  So it does not shock me anymore, infact I am quite used to this kind of stuff happening.  It used to shock me more about 4 or 5 years ago, when I was around my mid 20s and the experience was new to me.  When I was 24 I was like "WTF!, they think 1986 is old!?  OR "they think 1993 is old!? That's less then 10 years ago! (when I was 24)". 

Now at age 30, it's like hey whatever.  We all have to go through this crap.   

Written By: 505Panther on 02/26/06 at 11:06 am

Is it possible to delete double posts ?

Sorry folks.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/26/06 at 11:46 am

104.3, the NYC classics station, will now play alternative oldies like R.E.M, Nirvana, The Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam...I guess when bands are baiscally inactive they automatically become oldies now, or when they're 10+ years. However, that same station seems to now play more 70s-80s "classic rock" with some '60s on certain days, lots of hair metal, and some early '90s music. It switched over to a more '80s-heavy format pretty recently.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/26/06 at 11:47 am

Damn...... I defintitlely feel like I'm getting old.....  ::)  ;D

Written By: gmann on 02/26/06 at 1:38 pm

"In the year 2525..." Oh, sorry my mind was wondering with all this talkof the future.  :)

I can see a more clearly defined division between "classic" alternative and newer alt-rock stuff, more so than I did a few years back. Anything that came much before the mid-90s is more or less in the classic category by now. If you check out the satellite radio channels for alternative rock, there are ones for new and classic. I'm not surprised at all.

As for John Mellencamp on CMT, I can see it happening. After all, Mellencamp has always appealed to the down-home Midwestern set, of which I belong to even now. With all the crossover success and mingling of country with rock sounds, he probably sounds more country now than some so-called country artists!

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/26/06 at 3:06 pm

"In the year 2525..." Oh, sorry my mind was wondering with all this talkof the future.  :)

I can see a more clearly defined division between "classic" alternative and newer alt-rock stuff, more so than I did a few years back. Anything that came much before the mid-90s is more or less in the classic category by now. If you check out the satellite radio channels for alternative rock, there are ones for new and classic. I'm not surprised at all.

As for John Mellencamp on CMT, I can see it happening. After all, Mellencamp has always appealed to the down-home Midwestern set, of which I belong to even now. With all the crossover success and mingling of country with rock sounds, he probably sounds more country now than some so-called country artists!

You know, I've thought the same way about the Eagles in relation to the '70s. At the time they were "rock with country influences". Yet, if they were to come out now, they'd be more country than some of the actual country. The irony is, fans of that kind of music (who sometimes don't listen to anything else, at least those that I have met) would spit on the idea that the Eagles were country. Freakin' weird!

I think John Cougar Mellencamp kinda turned country (or, at least country influenced/inspired) when he got involved with Farm Aid in the mid '80s. He was more tuned in to the heartland from what I have seen. I mean, "Small Town" sounds alot more country than "Hurts so Good" does. Back in 1982 when the latter came out, I don't think he would've been seen that way at all.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/26/06 at 3:18 pm

The thing is, I considered the 60s to be "oldies" back during the actual 80s.  Granted I was a child and young teenager back then, but it felt like that was what a lot of people under 30 thought of the 1960s back in the 1980s.  That was a mere 20 years difference.  (I still can't get over the fact how recent the 60s really were in the 80s, 15-23 years or so was really nothing.  It's only now that I realize that.)

AMC (American Movie Classics) plays 90s movies all the time.  So it does not shock me anymore, infact I am quite used to this kind of stuff happening.  It used to shock me more about 4 or 5 years ago, when I was around my mid 20s and the experience was new to me.  When I was 24 I was like "WTF!, they think 1986 is old!?  OR "they think 1993 is old!? That's less then 10 years ago! (when I was 24)". 

Now at age 30, it's like hey whatever.  We all have to go through this crap.   

Yeah, even the late '60s probably seemed ancient by the early '80s, let alone later on. It wasn't just pop culture that was different, the whole world was. I'm sure black & white TVs, the Beach Boys, JFK's presidency, racist attitudes (i.e. blacks having to drink from different water fountains) and a time before malls, microwave ovens and other conveinences, they must've thought, WTF? That might as well be in the last ice age! 'cause that was just so far gone.

It's amazing though, how close the "60s" and "80s" were. I think up to 1975 there was still an "updated 60s" feel around, even if Hippies and such were passe. 1981 was when the '80s started to notably take off (i.e. MTV), so hell, that's only six years! I can see how older people would've thought it was recent.

You're about six years older than me, and it's kinda funny in its own way, but alot of what you've said about turning 24ish is how I felt at the same time in 1999. When I was 17 approaching 18, just the thought of technical "adulthood" on the horizon made me feel pretty dang old, even if I knew and frequently said it was just a number.

Today, at the same age you were back then, I've gotten accustomed to the idea too. Not sure if it's the same for you, but I actually got more confused/slightly annoyed when those relatively close to my age said they were "too young" to remember something I grew up with. Roughly 1985-born people made me feel VERY awkward and old in 1998/99-2003 (even if I was friends with 'em!) but I couldn't have cared less if a kid twelve years younger than me said the same thing. I would've expected it from them.

It felt more hypocritical if someone only three years younger than me called the NES or a Journey song "before their time", but now it's like Who cares, I'm used to it, ya know? ;)

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/26/06 at 3:52 pm

The 1970s was a real cultural turning point, I think...all of the revolutionary social attitudes were present in the 1960s, but they changed the life of the average American sometime in the early-mid 1970s. Maybe the only other big turning point we've had that way was the 1920s, since the civil war. We've had economic and socioeconomic changes since the 1970s, but I still think the '80s is closer to the '00s than the '60s was to the '80s. We may have computers, but that's really all that's differed. Just replace walkmans with iPods and the transition is complete. Social attitudes haven't changed much since the '80s.

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 02/27/06 at 8:00 pm

Tanya

I know!!  I saw that show one weekend, and it had Blind Melon...Smashing Pumpkins...Crash Test Dummies.  It's great to hear the music...but classic?  I don't think so. 

Written By: Criz on 02/28/06 at 6:41 am

Damn...... I defintitlely feel like I'm getting old.....  ::)  ;D

I'm 21, and looking at some of the new music that's out at the moment, and seeing what's played on VH1 or any other music channel like it - I feel like I'M getting old!!!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/06 at 12:11 pm

This is just my opion but I think a song has to be somewhere in the 15-20 year old range to be considered classic. But I suppose now since its 2006 that means that some early grunge songs would be considered classic.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/28/06 at 2:43 pm

This is just my opion but I think a song has to be somewhere in the 15-20 year old range to be considered classic. But I suppose now since its 2006 that means that some early grunge songs would be considered classic.

I think today Oldies can mean anything pre-1992 or so, but to me oldies is the '90s standard of 1954-1974.

Written By: KKay on 02/28/06 at 3:12 pm

R.E.M- I have heard them and Bowie on oldies channels.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/06 at 4:42 pm

I think today Oldies can mean anything pre-1992 or so, but to me oldies is the '90s standard of 1954-1974.

I think so too. But maybe that's because Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and the like still sound a little too current for me to consider them "Classic".

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/28/06 at 4:58 pm

I think so too. But maybe that's because Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and the like still sound a little too current for me to consider them "Classic".

Yeah, I agree.  I think late 1991 is when "Newies" started, because that's the end of the 1980s musical era which is now unfortunately classified as oldies.  The reason I include 1990 and 1991 into the "Oldies" status of the '80s is because people often mistake the music of these years (again, except for the grunge of late 1991) as "Eighties music".  i.e., "Baby Baby" by Amy Grant might be lumped into oldies, but anything by TLC would almost certainly not be.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/28/06 at 5:36 pm

I think fifteen-twenty years is the threshold for oldies. I remember the change a few years back when oldies stations started playing stuff from before 1991, and there was a change in the mid-90s when it started to be safe to play disco and "jammin' oldies" and prog rock again on classic rock/"oldies" radio.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/06 at 6:47 pm

Yeah, I agree.  I think late 1991 is when "Newies" started, because that's the end of the 1980s musical era which is now unfortunately classified as oldies.  The reason I include 1990 and 1991 into the "Oldies" status of the '80s is because people often mistake the music of these years (again, except for the grunge of late 1991) as "Eighties music".  i.e., "Baby Baby" by Amy Grant might be lumped into oldies, but anything by TLC would almost certainly not be.

The same with hair metal and the rap of 1990/'91. "Love of a Lifetime" and "Ice Ice Baby" both sound very 80's to me.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/28/06 at 6:49 pm

The same with hair metal and the rap of 1990/'91. "Love of a Lifetime" and "Ice Ice Baby" both sound very 80's to me.

Definitely.

I wonder if it's because most 1990s songs were recorded in 1989.  But probably not, since most 1991 songs were recorded in 1990 and some of those even sound eighties.

I think 1990 kind of complemented 1989 the way 1999 complemented 2000.  There was a shift between 1999-2000 and 1989-1990, but the two years still sort of seemed like a one-ness.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/06 at 6:55 pm

Definitely.

I wonder if it's because most 1990s songs were recorded in 1989.  But probably not, since most 1991 songs were recorded in 1990 and some of those even sound eighties.

I think 1990 kind of complemented 1989 the way 1999 complemented 2000.  There was a shift between 1999-2000 and 1989-1990, but the two years still sort of seemed like a one-ness.

Yeah. I'd be crazy to assume that all of pop culture and just the atmosphere of the times in general changed from December 31,1989 to January 1,1990.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/28/06 at 7:03 pm

Yeah. I'd be crazy to assume that all of pop culture and just the atmosphere of the times in general changed from December 31,1989 to January 1,1990.

Oh, of course.  Was December 31, 1999 any different than January 1, 2000?  Not really.

You might say that a decade will always end where's it supposed to on average, but I would disagree.  Decades tend to be back-loaded, and since time only goes forward holdovers are much more common then precursors.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/06 at 7:11 pm

Oh, of course.  Was December 31, 1999 any different than January 1, 2000?  Not really.

You might say that a decade will always end where's it supposed to on average, but I would disagree.  Decades tend to be back-loaded, and since time only goes forward holdovers are much more common then precursors.

Yep. Most recent decades have followed the same trends. The early part is the filtering out of the previous decade's culture. The middle part is the peak of the decade's culture. And the late part is the countinuation of the decade's culture with the beggining of a transition to the next one toward the end.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/28/06 at 7:13 pm

I totally agree.

However, the Zero Decade's been odd.  You had the 2000-'01 period, which was pretty much "less late '90s", then you had the 2002-'05 period, which was an amalgram of stuff originally from the late nineties and stuff completely of the '00s, and now we're in a period when the '00s is very slowly giving way to the '10s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/06 at 7:20 pm

I totally agree.

However, the Zero Decade's been odd.  You had the 2000-'01 period, which was pretty much "less late '90s", then you had the 2002-'05 period, which was an amalgram of stuff originally from the late nineties and stuff completely of the '00s, and now we're in a period when the '00s is very slowly giving way to the '10s.

Yeah the peak of things being "very 00's" passed alot quicker than it usaually does.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/28/06 at 7:22 pm

Yeah the peak of things being "very 00's" passed alot quicker than it usaually does.

Yeah, I think the decade is a lot like the nineties in what's cool, musical genres, etc, but the atmosphere and general overall quality of the two decades is a lot different.

I guess you can call the Zeroes the "Crappy Nineties" or even better, "The Zero Decade".  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/28/06 at 7:58 pm

I think the peak of things being "very eighties" was similar, people now see 1984 as being the peak of the '80s. I think it won't become noticeable that it's becoming a different decade until 2009, but the slow transition out is starting, like it did in the '80s, in the sixth or seventh year. Right now, I don't think that the '00s is really dying yet, we're more in that holdover period when nothing new is that innovative or intriguing but it hasn't begun faltering yet.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/28/06 at 11:22 pm

I think the peak of things being "very eighties" was similar, people now see 1984 as being the peak of the '80s. I think it won't become noticeable that it's becoming a different decade until 2009, but the slow transition out is starting, like it did in the '80s, in the sixth or seventh year. Right now, I don't think that the '00s is really dying yet, we're more in that holdover period when nothing new is that innovative or intriguing but it hasn't begun faltering yet.

Yeah, exactly.  2005 and '06 are "washed-out 2004".

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/28/06 at 11:30 pm

What else is new? I hear new music on supposedly classic/oldies stations all the time.

Examples:
Our classic rock station quite often plays new music by Green Day, U2, Rolling Stones (from A Bigger Bang) and tons of songs released around 1999-2000.

Our classic hits station actively mixes some newer pop with alot of the 70s, 80s and early 70s pop music they often play.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/01/06 at 1:50 am

Yeah, exactly.  2005 and '06 are "washed-out 2004".

Just like 1985 was sort of "washed-out 1984".

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/01/06 at 5:03 am

Just like 1985 was sort of "washed-out 1984".

And 1986 was washed out 1985...except for Madge's True Blue! Great, great CD.

Check for new replies or respond here...