inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who's Worse? MC Hammer or Vanilla Ice

Written By: woops on 08/01/04 at 11:13 pm

IMO, Vanilla Ice was far worse.  I still remember the scene from "MTV 25 Lame"  (1999) when Vanilla Ice smashed a copy of the "Ice Ice Baby" video with a baseball bat. 

Though I'll admit that "U Can't Touch This" (MC Hammer) was, and still is, a fun song.  8)

Subject: Re: Who's Worse? MC Hammer or Vanilla Ice

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/01/04 at 11:47 pm

In the beginning, I can't lie I liked Ice, Ice Baby; however, once his stories didn't add up, I turned him off. M.C. Hammer was good, especially "Let's Get It Started".

Tanya

Written By: Bobby on 08/02/04 at 7:14 pm

I prefer MC Hammer to Vanilla Ice. Though they both did considerably well by copying/sampling other people's records:

MC Hammer

U Can't touch this (sample of 'Superfreak' by Rick James)
Pray (sample of 'When Doves Cry' by Prince)
Have you seen her (original done by Chi-Lites)

Vanilla Ice

Ice Ice Baby (Sample of 'Under Pressure' by Queen)
Play that funky music (original done by Wild Cherry)

Written By: DJ Midas on 08/03/04 at 2:13 am

I prefer MC Hammer.

Written By: bj26 on 08/03/04 at 7:02 am

I was not a fan of either rapper, but liked the videos You can't touch this and Ice ice Baby.  Both guys could dance dam good, but Ice was a bit hokey with  that word to ya motha, or when he's sitting in his 5.0 and has a pistol, it's so stupid, I just have no other explanation, but the song told a kind of funny story anyways.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/03/04 at 5:11 pm

I prefer MC Hammer to Vanilla Ice. Though they both did considerably well by copying/sampling other people's records:

MC Hammer

U Can't touch this (sample of 'Superfreak' by Rick James)
Pray (sample of 'When Doves Cry' by Prince)
Have you seen her (original done by Chi-Lites)

Vanilla Ice

Ice Ice Baby (Sample of 'Under Pressure' by Queen)
Play that funky music (original done by Wild Cherry)

Both STOLE others music rather than create thier own and both lost millions for it...therefore BOTH suck ::)

Written By: Bobby on 08/03/04 at 6:33 pm

Both STOLE others music rather than create thier own and both lost millions for it...therefore BOTH suck ::)

Do you mean they both lost huge amounts of money paying royalties for their sampling?

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/04/04 at 7:27 pm

PROPS to both!

They were entertaining!!!!!

Written By: Stuart on 09/10/04 at 7:44 am

Hammer IS a hell of alot better than ice

You Can't Touch This and Let's Get It Started are a million times better than 'Ice Ice Baby'

IIB Has a good tune only while Hammer's Songs are catchy, singable and still cool!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/10/04 at 7:58 am

Vanilla Ice

Written By: joedeertae on 09/10/04 at 8:03 am

Hammer was COOL and had some good tunes and even though Vanilla Ice had some good tunes no matter how hard he tried he was waaayyyy to white to be believable as the bad arse he wanted to be.

J.Dirt 8)

Written By: Jennifer028 on 09/10/04 at 9:38 pm

Vanilla Ice...Although i loved the song back then.

I can still jam to U can't touch this or Pray.  :D

Written By: Dagwood on 09/11/04 at 7:51 pm

Vanilla Ice was much worse, IMO.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/11/04 at 8:52 pm

Do you mean they both lost huge amounts of money paying royalties for their sampling?
No, "Sampling" is when you have the original artists permission to use thier stuff....this was blatant "Stealing"....simple as that. Queen sued the pants off of Vailla Ice and MC lost millions as well...and it was derservedly so that it happened >:(

Written By: BLO-TOWN on 09/11/04 at 10:14 pm

No, "Sampling" is when you have the original artists permission to use thier stuff....this was blatant "Stealing"....simple as that. Queen sued the pants off of Vailla Ice and MC lost millions as well...and it was derservedly so that it happened >:(

i dont think Hammer lost so much "stealing" as he did giving out money to his entourage...

neither one was that bad

Written By: Bobby on 09/12/04 at 7:40 am

Deservedly so as well. Was this the first time people took from other people? I don't remember that kind of thing happening before 1990/1991 (House music seemed to sample from other media).

Written By: EdwardE on 06/17/07 at 3:57 pm

both are bad

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/07 at 4:14 pm

Vanilla Ice is certainly worse. MC Hammer's songs are still being sung today.

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/17/07 at 8:44 pm

I'll admit MC Hammer was more entertaining than Vanilla Ice, but to be honest I really didn't like neither one of them.

Written By: Joanne Webb on 06/20/07 at 2:27 am

I wanna be older so I like MC Hammer more

Written By: Haman on 06/20/07 at 3:16 pm

I can hardly remember Vanilla Ice!  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/07 at 3:25 pm

This just proves that 1990 and 1991 was one of the campiest times for pop music. Like it had the cheesiness of the '80s that tried to toughen up and give itself a makeover for the '90s - which couldn't yet  decide if it wanted to let it in the club or have the bouncers toss it out on the street. ;)

I think MC Hammer has some catchy songs, though. Vanilla Ice isn't as bad as everyone says, but even back then he was sort of a joke.

Written By: wildcard on 06/20/07 at 4:18 pm

I didn't pay any attention to either one of them when they were popular in 90 91. 

Written By: snozberries on 07/08/07 at 6:21 pm

In the beginning, I can't lie I liked Ice, Ice Baby; however, once his stories didn't add up, I turned him off. M.C. Hammer was good, especially "Let's Get It Started".

Tanya

I can't lie... I'm singing Ice Ice Baby right now  ::)

I'm also singing Pray so I guess neither.... ;)

Alright stop collaborate and listen...
STOP! HAMMERTIME!

Written By: noah1 on 07/08/07 at 8:29 pm

I actually somewhat liked Mc Hammer. Vanilla Ice sucks though

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/07 at 2:34 am

I actually somewhat liked Mc Hammer. Vanilla Ice sucks though
That is the general opinion of the whole board.

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/07 at 2:47 am

In Canada, MC Hammer had more hits than Vanilla Ice, but I still liked Vanilla Ice the best.  Hammer's hits were good, but they got overplayed fast

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/09/07 at 3:06 am

Hammer's music is good for what is was - fun, hip-hop inspired dance/pop that didn't take itself too seriously. He didn't really get respected outside of that after "Pray" and "2 Legit to Quit". He tried doing a gangsta-styled album c. 1994 and it didn't do very well.

Written By: snozberries on 07/09/07 at 10:36 am

Hammer's music is good for what is was - fun, hip-hop inspired dance/pop that didn't take itself too seriously. He didn't really get respected outside of that after "Pray" and "2 Legit to Quit". He tried doing a gangsta-styled album c. 1994 and it didn't do very well.

That "gansta" album was a joke... I mean who could he intimidate after dancing around in the genie pants?

Check for new replies or respond here...