inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I love 1991

Written By: Guest on 08/02/04 at 12:22 pm

To me the best year pop culturally of the '90s was 1991.  I was 8 that year in elementry school so I don't remember too much it but I do remember going to see movies like Terminator 2: Judgment Day, City Slickers, Hook, and The Addams Family.  The music that year was really cool with such songs as "Unbelievable", "Right Here, Right Now", "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)", "I Like The Way (The Kissing Game)", and "More Than Words". I can remember early in the year seeing coverage of the Gulf War on the news and in the spring I moved into my new house and celebrated my 8th birthday.  In the summer I hung out with my cousins and late in the year I can remember watching Tale Spin and Darkwing Duck everyday after getting home from school.  I also remember my sister watching Guns N' Roses' "November Rain" video on MTV and for X-Mas I got a Super Nintendo.  That was also the year of the grunge breakthrough and I can remember "Smells Like Teen Spirit" being my favorite song though that may have been more in '92. I also remember seeing Metallica's "Enter Sandman" video.  Anyone else who's around the same age as me have any memories of that year? 

Subject: Re: I love 1991

Written By: Bobby on 08/02/04 at 7:08 pm

I remember a lot of what you mention of 1991. I didn't actually think 1991 was that amazing for pop/culture but felt it was a transition into the 90s. However, it is my favourite year of all time because I got to live with my nan, grandad and uncle and I was so happy  :D!

Written By: zcrito on 08/07/04 at 12:58 am

The music that year was really cool with such songs as "Unbelievable", "Right Here, Right Now", "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)", "I Like The Way (The Kissing Game)", and "More Than Words".

Let's see, 1991. Here's some songs I liked at the time
(although I think 1992 was a better year for music)

Rush - Big Audio Dynamite
Strike It Up - Black Box
Radio Clash - Clash
Temptation - Corina
Too Many Walls - Cathy Dennis
Where Does My Heart Beat Now - Celine Dion
After the Dance - Fourplay and El DeBarge
I've Been Thinking About You - Londonbeat
Wind Of Change - Scorpions
All I Want - Toad the Wet Sprocket
Walk on the Ocean - Toad the Wet Sprocket
Broken Arrow - Rod Stewart

and one I discovered recently

Thinking of You - Seven Red Seven

;)

Subject: 8=9th grade

Written By: Echo Nomad on 11/30/05 at 12:46 am

For me the year witnessed the transistion form finishing up Jr.High in the spring and starting High School in the Fall. Man, for some reason I can remember that first day of HS as if it were last week.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 11/30/05 at 10:33 am

I agree with you 1991 was the start of 1991

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/01/05 at 10:05 am

To me the best year pop culturally of the '90s was 1991.  I was 8 that year in elementry school so I don't remember too much it but I do remember going to see movies like Terminator 2: Judgment Day, City Slickers, Hook, and The Addams Family.  The music that year was really cool with such songs as "Unbelievable", "Right Here, Right Now", "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)", "I Like The Way (The Kissing Game)", and "More Than Words". I can remember early in the year seeing coverage of the Gulf War on the news and in the spring I moved into my new house and celebrated my 8th birthday.  In the summer I hung out with my cousins and late in the year I can remember watching Tale Spin and Darkwing Duck everyday after getting home from school.  I also remember my sister watching Guns N' Roses' "November Rain" video on MTV and for X-Mas I got a Super Nintendo.  That was also the year of the grunge breakthrough and I can remember "Smells Like Teen Spirit" being my favorite song though that may have been more in '92. I also remember seeing Metallica's "Enter Sandman" video.  Anyone else who's around the same age as me have any memories of that year? 

I was 9-10 in 1991, so alot of that sounds famiiliar to me too.

Although I honestly wasn't doing my best at the time on a personal level (long story short: aside from the death of my grandma in late '89 which I was still kinda reeling from, my parents lost alot of the money they had in the 80's, we'd had to move to a smaller place and I was still adjusting to a new school and a new life in a sense), the pop culture was cool as ever and helped get me through it a bit. :)

This was kind of the "best of" both the 80's and the 90's. It wasn't the Duran Duran 80's of 1984, but it wasn't the coffeehouse/Grunge/Rap 90's yet either. It still had that late 80's feel to it. The music was happy, the movies were funny, NES was still thriving, and alot of cool TV shows were on the air.

I couldn't name off individual ones 'cause that would take forever (so many!), but in short, the better memories are of me playing the new Legend of Zelda for Super NES, and watching videos on VH1 constantly, all the while slowly making new friends at school, etc.

Check for new replies or respond here...