inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you remember about the 90's?

Written By: Sammigirly22 on 08/29/04 at 1:39 pm

I remember watching Nickelodeon and Power Rangers 24/7
I remember when Aerosmith's "I don't want to miss a thing" came out, it was ALL OVER the radio, it seemed like it was always on!
I LOVED LOVED LOVED Spicegirls and saw Spiceworld the day it came out
I remember the tickle me elmo, furby, and tamagotchi craze
I remember Princess Diana's death, and Mother Theresa (MT died on my birthday)
I remember me and my friends jumping around on the bed singing along to Smashmouth's "all star"
I remember late 90's MTV (Celebrity Death Match, Biorhythm, Blame Game, old school TRL, and some others which are foggy)
I remember loving Alanis Morrisette's Jagged Little Pill cd, which I think was my first REAL cd, besides like little kid cd's.
I remember always listening to the radio in the car with my mom, all the 90's pop, Jewel, Mariah Carey, Fiona Apple, all that stuff.
I remember when Britney spears came out, and the hype of her and Backstreet Boys and Nsync and all of those people.
I remember the old gigantic cellphones which weighed about 10 pounds. my mom had a white one.
There's probably more, I'm just forgetting.

Subject: Re: What do you remember about the 90's?

Written By: hornet on 08/29/04 at 6:49 pm

how the quality of music went down hill  :\'(

how easy it was for a sh*t song to make the top 10  :\'(

how many remakes increased in number as each year went by  :\'(

though there was some good ones in the 90's , the good song ratio compared to the previous decade went right down if you ask me.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/29/04 at 7:32 pm

how the quality of music went down hill   :\'(

how easy it was for a sh*t song to make the top 10   :\'(

how many remakes increased in number as each year went by  :\'(

though there was some good ones in the 90's , the good song ratio compared to the previous decade went right down if you ask me.

Amen, hornet!

Written By: tvlover1212 on 09/07/04 at 2:43 pm

I REMEMBER EVERYTHING from January 1, 1990 - December 31, 1999!!!  And when say everything I MEAN EVERYTHING!!!!

:D :D :D :D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/07/04 at 9:53 pm

Graduating high school, entering and graduating from college, getting pregnant, giving birth, and working my butt of at an internship and finally, a job!

Everything else is downhill for me!  ;)

Tanya

Written By: Mayleneo on 09/11/04 at 11:40 pm

Oh wow:) Thx, this is a fun one for me:) I'm 26:P:P this in crazy non-chronological order:P whatever pops into my drifting mind LOL

I remember.........

........The crazy bus driver that used to play Sir-mix-a-lot and Kid N Play on the bus tape deck, driving me to the 6th grade:)

..........Bill Clinton running for president ...beating Bush Sr.

......... The northridge earthquake waking me up and scaring the s@*% out of me!!!!

......... Fiona Apple making me think I was a " deep and intellectual " person LOL!!!! lol, little did i know that angst isn't all that philosophical anyway.

........ The real world Hawaii.... I was always scared that i could wind up being Amaya if i didn't tone down the Drama:P

....... Tony Rich Project " Nobody Knows" the anthem of my first major "heartbreak" Sophomore in high school. God I played that song to death. :o :o :o

...... My roomate in the dorms playing the Jewel "Pieces of you" tape EVERY SINGLE NIGHT  before bed my freshman year of college!! ( please god save me..... LOL)

In 1998, buying CD'S to replace all my old tapes...

In 1999, LOL, Never buying a CD ever again..../Napster Baby:):)

Well I could go forever,...but thats just a few:P:P

Written By: Bobby on 09/12/04 at 6:46 am

I remember.........

........The crazy bus driver that used to play Sir-mix-a-lot and Kid N Play on the bus tape deck, driving me to the 6th grade:)

Yes, I remember Kid 'n' Play (though that was only because their cartoon came over here - I used to love it). One man had this platform hair-style (I forgotten whether that was Kid or Play though).

......... Fiona Apple making me think I was a " deep and intellectual " person LOL!!!! lol, little did i know that angst isn't all that philosophical anyway.

Interesting thought, lol.  :)

In 1999, LOL, Never buying a CD ever again..../Napster Baby:):)

Well I could go forever,...but thats just a few:P:P

Uh oh! Mentioning Napster may call upon RockandRollFan. Don't mention Lars Ulrich . . .

Written By: Casey W on 09/12/04 at 9:21 am

I remember everything from the 90s.  It was a solid decade for pop culture.  It wasn't the 80s, but the 90s were an interesting follow up.  I really liked everything from 1990 to 1996 especially. 

1997-1999 wasn't my cup of tea, too much boy band and girl band stuff, it was too much like now in the 2000s.  I couldn't relate to the youth culture as well in the late 90s as I did the early and mid 1990s.

Written By: Howard on 09/12/04 at 9:50 am

My first long lasting relationship
My brother passed away. :\'(
finally got off medication for good. :)

Howard

Written By: Chris on 09/12/04 at 12:47 pm

The 90s were somewhat of a depressing time.  I agree with the musical decline that you guys mentioned above, however, I think that the 00's are hands down the worst decade for music so far.  Getting back to the 90s, here are a few things that come to mind:

Grunge music (this was good at first until things got out of control.  This started the whole "alternative" thing of the 90s in which almost every song on the radio was classified as "alternative" yet the word or genre had no clear meaning)

Tabloid scandals (OJ Trial, Joey Buttofuoco, Tonya Harding, etc)

The New York Islanders miracle playoff run and almost winning the Stanley Cup in 93

I was a teen in the 90s and I always felt sorry for the younger kids because they didn't have as cool stuff as the 80s.  We had Ninja Turtles, NES, Saturday morning cartoons, etc.  Kids in the 90s had things such as Power Rangers and Pogs.  Not a very good tradeoff IMO

The Y2K problem and how paranoid people got.  I don't understand what the big deal was, it was just a computer date problem, its not like electricity wasn't going to stop flowing through the lines and society was going to break down as many people predicited

The internet of course

The first World Trade Center bombing.  While it was NOWHERE near the magnitude of 9/11, it was still a pretty big deal in the NY area

The Oklahoma City bombing.  A lot of people were disgruntled towards the US Government around this time and there were actually a lot of local militias around the country whose ultimate goal was to overthrow the government

Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat.  I remember when Street Fighter II: Champion Edition came out, it was like the best thing ever because you could actually play as Vega and M. Bison

Beavis and Butt-head

TWA Flight 800 and how annoying it started to get when they would interrupt programs even 2 years after it happened to report very insignificant developments

When we first found out about Napster, it was too good to be true.  Then CD burners started to become widely available and people almost started pissing themselves

Written By: CBH1989er on 09/16/04 at 5:04 pm

Maybe since you guys grown more mature in the late 90's and 2000's you began to hate this eras music, Im a teen and I think the music from the 2K's are Awesome . Its way better than the 90's to me. The 90's had incredibly boring music :-P . Who knows in the late 2010's I may dislike the younger generations music as well. I think that whole process is a sign of growing up and getting older. Im sure you guy's parents probably felt the same way about your teenage years' music. :P  :D

Written By: Chris on 09/16/04 at 9:36 pm

Well one problem I have with music nowadays, especially rock, is that it all sounds the same.  I honestly can't tell the difference between Good Charlotte, Bowling for Soup and all other bands within the "punk" genre.  They all have the EXACT same sound.  My point is that music nowadays is manufactured.  When you listen to a song from the 80s, you can tell its from the 80s because music in that era was unique.  Music from the 90s has its flaws as well.  Unfortunately most of the good music from the 90s has slipped through the cracks, most of the radios stations still play the tired old stuff from the 90s over and over and over.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/17/04 at 10:58 am

Well one problem I have with music nowadays, especially rock, is that it all sounds the same.  I honestly can't tell the difference between Good Charlotte, Bowling for Soup and all other bands within the "punk" genre.  They all have the EXACT same sound.  My point is that music nowadays is manufactured.  When you listen to a song from the 80s, you can tell its from the 80s because music in that era was unique.  Music from the 90s has its flaws as well.  Unfortunately most of the good music from the 90s has slipped through the cracks, most of the radios stations still play the tired old stuff from the 90s over and over and over.

Good Charlotte, etc isn't true punk, it's pop ("manufactured") punk! These kids wouldn't know true punk, if it slashed their faces!

Tanya

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/18/04 at 10:41 pm

Ahh, the 90's. I will always remember that decade fondly. It was my decade as a kid, I was born in '88.

I remember the Macarena being a big craze.
I remember Bill Clinton being President.
I remember the whole Monica Lewinksy scandal.
I remember Bush and the whole Karla Faye Tucker thing.
I remember Mortal Kombat being a huge phenomenon in the mid-90s(I'm still a huge MK fan).
I remember when they played that 'Sex and candy' song every fifteen minutes on the radio.
I remember everyone wearing plaid and baggy blue jeans.
I remember everybody getting the chili bowl hair cuts, and everyone wearing sandals with socks.
I remember everyone tieing their shirts around their waist.
I remember Doc Martins being very popular.
I remember Laser discs.  ;D
I remember Beavis and Butthead and Mtv actually being cool.
I remember the Sega Genesis(man I loved that system).
I remember The Addams Family, Spawn, Batman Forever, Fargo, Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs, From Dusk Til Dawn, Street Fighter(so sue me I liked it  :P), The Phantom, Jumanji, Mortal Kombat, The Amazing Panda Adventure, Hook, Man On The Moon,Beavis & Butthead Do America, Wayne's World, Wayne's World 2, Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, Forrest Gump, Hoffa, The Mask of Zorro, Wag The Dog, Heaven's Prisoners, Vampires, Jurassic Park, GoldenEye, Terminator 2: Judgement Day...do I need to keep going on? The 90's was chocked full of truly GREAT movies...so far the 00's has been a wasteland as far as movies.

Also, music was so-so. There was some good stuff, Rap in the early to mid-90's was actually enjoyable, whereas the last 6 years it has been total trash. But music now is REALLY bad. I liked clothing in the 90's better. I don't like all the skater crap people wear now, or the hip hop crap. Man, I really really do miss the 90's now that I think about it.

Also its personal because my parents were together in the 90's, but in 2001 they split up, and eventually divorced.  :\'(

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 09/19/04 at 7:48 am

Maybe since you guys grown more mature in the late 90's and 2000's you began to hate this eras music, Im a teen and I think the music from the 2K's are Awesome . Its way better than the 90's to me. The 90's had incredibly boring music :-P . Who knows in the late 2010's I may dislike the younger generations music as well. I think that whole process is a sign of growing up and getting older. Im sure you guy's parents probably felt the same way about your teenage years' music. :P  :D

Finding out that generation gaps can run two ways will happen to you faster then you can imagine.  Don't think it will happen when you are 40 or 50, nope---waaay sooner then that. Imagine when the teenage kids can't remember or only vaguely remember the year 2004.  Then you'll know how we feel, and what will weird you out is that you'll still be a young person under 30 when it happens.

Written By: Rach on 09/20/04 at 3:45 pm

I remember when KFC use to sell chicken littles  :\'(

Written By: goodsin on 10/02/04 at 6:53 am

I remember the rise and fall of the 'Rave' culture in the UK
I remember Grunge & how saddened I was at Kurt Cobains' death
I remember losing 2 close friends to Heroin
I remember Daddy Ice mashin' it up big time
I remember it was mad...but not as mad as it left me... :D

Written By: Howard on 10/02/04 at 9:28 am

When cellular phones became the new fashion craze. :P

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/03/04 at 10:31 pm

1990-My kids were still so young. We enjoyed having a great person live with us from January until September....

1991-Dawn (The girl who lived with us) dies on her 19th birthday...January 19, 1991 in a car wreck...she was 4 months pregnant :\'(

1992-Blaine gets into soccer, Randall goes to kindergarten at the same school as his brothers..across the street from my house. Brian turns 4.

1993-Brian goes to pre-school. I get a 1971 VW Bus....it breaks down by years end ::) In September my family heads to the old Mile High Stadium to catch the new baseball team in town (Colorado Rockies) beat the LA Dodgers

1994-I start working for Goodwill...Ella becomes the stay home parent. The Denver Nuggets enter the playoffs as the 8th seed and they upset the #1 seed Seattle...the almost get past Utah but the Jazz prevail 4-3 :-\\ OJ gets away with murder......

1995-I buy a 1968 Baja Bug in February....it gets stolen in July. Me and my neighbor enjoy NASCAR every Sunday and root for Dale Earnhardt.

1996-Ella (My Ex) starts working nights at Wal-mart. Clinton beats Dole :P

1997-Denver Broncos get a new look and storm to the playoffs...

1998-In January Denver wins thier 1st ever Super Bowl (32) by beating the heavily favored Packers 31-24....Terrell Davis earns the MVP and John Elway finally gets a ring! Blaine helps lead his middle school to the cities wrestling championship.

1999-The Broncos win thier 2nd straight Super Bowl over Atlanata (34-19) and John Elway earns MVP honors with his 336 yards passing. Ella leaves in October and has me served with divorce papers the day before Thanksgiving. The next day I cook Thanksgiving dinner and take my boys to her apartment for the night. Blaine(who decided to live with her) comes back in late December to stay with my and his brothers. I begin to grow very close to Blaine as we start running together and my  other boys also start to go to the YMCA to workout regulalry. My job at Goodwill ends after 5 years.

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/05/04 at 3:18 pm

Loads of stuff in the 90's

A lot of people died, a lot of good stuff came around.

Music in England generally improved a vast amount, with the whole 'Cool Britania' thing, with bands like Pulp, Oasis and Blur leading the way, of course i apologise for the spice girls, but there wasnt much we could do.

Unfortunatley there were some sour points, i spent the entire decade in school.. which sucked..
the American music scene took a hit around '96-'97 when people decided Rap was mainstream and of course since then we've been subjected to the same tired old stuff time and time again.

Actually just to throw a quick point out here, im still just a teen (i'll be going to University soon), however i hate hate hate hate hate a lot of the music around now, i like some of it, REM, Embrace, BFS, but man sooo much sucks, especially this whole new R&B thing, that isn't R&B, R&B is rythm and blues, and i cant accept that a sythesised beat constitues rythm.

Just shows there are two sides to every argument.. us kids arent all little antichrists until we reach 25  ;)

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/08/04 at 8:01 pm

Here's a more personal account...

1990 - I don't really remember anything much, I was 2. I do know, however, we moved from Dallas(my birthplace) to my hometown, Tyler(texas).

1991 - Don't remember anything in particular.

1992 - I remember Clinton's campaign going on this year, my dad talked about it all the time. He was a precint judge that year. I remember going to the rally at TJC(Tyler Junior College) when Clinton came, and being held by him(i was 4). It is actually one of my clearest 'early' memories, and what a memory to have huh? I remember riding with my dad everywhere in his little blue Toyota pickup truck, and going to my uncle Mike's house all the time.

1993 - This was the year we moved into the house I'd live in from Kindergarten through the first half of 3rd grade. It was the last house my older brother(10 years older than me) lived with us at. I remember his friends being over their all the time, and how they all thought I was a cool little kid, but I always annoyed my brother ;D I started Kindergarten that year, I remember my mom dropping me off my first day, and how a lot of the other kids were crying, but I did ok. I remember getting sent to the principal's office that day(MAN i started out a troublemaker in school early lol) because I didn't stand during the pledge of allegiance. I sat in her office my whole first day, it sucked. I remember Christmas that year. I got all sorts of toys, I don't really remember any of them in particular, just that I had so much fun. It was before I was at the age where I wanted particular things, just toys in general were A ok. You know, the age when you can just play, you don't have the need for it to be structured or anything. This year was also very important because this was the year I really became friends with my life-long best friend, my cousin Justin.

1994 - This was the year my brother, Kevin, moved out, he was 16. Although he didn't COMPLETELY move out until 1995. Despite living in an apartment with his girlfriend, they'd often stay the night at our house. Like a couple of nights a week, so it was kind of like he halfway still lived with us. I started 1st grade this year. I remember being so exciited because I got a Sega Genesis for Christmas. This was also the year Bush got elected as governor, replacing Ann Richards. I was so sad  :\'( I was interested in politics from a very early age. Don't really remember too much else in particular from this year...

1995 - This was the year my brother met his wife(he broke up with the girlfriend), they got married in July. I remember being the ring bearer at his wedding. Started 2rd grade this year. I remember when the Oklahoma City bombing happened.  Wow, this was a really uneventful year.

1996 - We moved twice this year, the second time settling into the house I'd live in for the next 4 years and 8 months. I lived in that house longer than any other place. I remember the Presidential elections.  I got my PlayStation this year. My nephew was born this year, Zach. Unfortunately I have no relationship with him,  haven't seen him in almost 3 years now. Started 3rd grade this year. My teacher, Mrs.Watts, was from Louisiana which I loved. My dad moved around a lot as a kid, but they spent more time in Louisiana than any other place. He considers New Orleans his home town. We went to Louisiana almost monthly when I was a kid. I consider Louisiana my second home. I remember we had an ice storm this year. Oh, and we had a substitute teacher for about 3 weeks, who was from Germany. She was so cool, she is the reason why I write German 7's(a line through the middle) rather than the normal kind.

1997 - I started the 4th grade, the first year I wasn't in the same classroom all day. It was a big switch to change classes, I felt so grown up  8)  Unfortunately, this was the last year my cousin, Justin, would visit on a somewhat regular basis(about 7-8 times a year), he lived in Dallas.

1998 - I was in the 5th grade this year, nothing too interesting. This was the year I first really started listening to any music. I mean I always had, somewhat, I was around it ALL the time, over at my uncles(he always had a good album on), but you know, I first started really appreciating it this year I think. My brother got divorced from his first wife this year. My aunt died of an anurism, it sucked. My mom was depressed for awhile. On the brighter side, I remember that year my dad got me a BB gun for my birthday, and I had quite a ball with it. I also remember the whole Monica Lewinksy scandal, and crying when they impeached Clinton.

1999 - My parents split up this year, albeit briefly, about a month. I hated it so bad, me and my mother lived with my uncle, widower of my aunt. I hated living there so bad. I was raised in a non-religious home, and when my mom and dad got back together, we tried to start going to Church, but it didn't work out. My mom is spiritual but non-religious, and my dad athiest, well we all couldn't stand church lol. I remember 6th grade started that year, and I signed up for band. I was given Saxophone, but I quit band halfway through the school year, I just couldn't play lol. I hit puberty this year too.  I remember the day Columbine happened. EDIT: Forgot to mention, my brother got married again this year, he's still married to her presently.

Written By: julie on 10/15/04 at 7:00 pm

Graduating high school, entering and graduating from college, getting pregnant, giving birth, and working my butt of at an internship and finally, a job!

Everything else is downhill for me!  ;)

Tanya
can anyone help me??????????  i remember a commercial from the 90`s that involved a little girl and she was in the kitchen with one of her parents, and they were cooking or making something, and the parent asked her a question and in a high pitched voice she replied, i don`t know, i do not knoooow. can anyone help me and tell me what the commercial was for?

Written By: tv on 12/25/04 at 9:30 pm

Stiff I remember from the 90's:

-Disliking High School
-Purchasing my first New Car in 1998.
-Going To Alaska in 1994.
-Discovering NASCAR when the first NASCAR Race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway happened(1994 Brickyard 400.)
-Going Down To The Jersey Shore for Prom Weekend Back in 1998
-Attending Summer Pocono NASCAR race in 1997 and also attending NHRA Drag Racing Racing Events in 1997 and 1998 in Reading, PA and Englishtown, NJ respectively.
-Watching the Yankess win the World Series in 1996.
-Remember Being a huge Alternative Rock fan from 1994-1997 than switching over to R&B and Hip-Hop for 1998.

I think the 90's decade ended for me when 1999 came around. 1999 the pop culture just changed up so much. Imagine graduating from High School in June 1998 than everything from decade of the 90's that you grew up with was gone by the way side completely about 6 months later. That was devaststing how everything just changed from Summer Time 1998 to January 1999.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/26/04 at 11:57 am

Grunge and flannel was big.
There was a time period where no one knew who Paris Hilton who.
KFC was once called Kentucky Fried Chicken.
MC Hammer and his parachute pants.
Jason Priestly was big at the time.
MTV had Beavis and Butthead.
The short lived TV series "Dinosaurs".
The Real World was the only reality series.
George Bush was president!  ;D  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...