inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Red Dog Beer

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/30/04 at 1:10 am

Do they still make Red Dog beer?  I haven't seen it around for a while, not that I've been lookin' for it...

http://www.beveragenet.net/bd/1998/0498/graphics/498pp6.GIF

Subject: Re: Red Dog Beer

Written By: jbbench on 09/18/04 at 5:18 pm

Do they still make Red Dog beer?  I haven't seen it around for a while, not that I've been lookin' for it...

http://www.beveragenet.net/bd/1998/0498/graphics/498pp6.GIF

sure do, have been hearing rumors that there going to stop making it but still picking up a case now and then

Written By: bj26 on 09/21/04 at 7:08 am

Max, Red Hook Ale and Killians Red are still available because I had a few.  Haven't seen Red Dog though.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/21/04 at 7:12 am

Max, Red Hook Ale and Killians Red are still available because I had a few.  Haven't seen Red Dog though.

A case of Killian's would go along nicely with current events, as in Colonel Jerry Killian!
::)

Written By: Dagwood on 09/21/04 at 7:16 am

I haven't seen it around either.  Then again I don't drink anymore.  Red Dog used to be my beer of choice, though.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/21/04 at 7:19 am

I haven't seen it around either.  Then again I don't drink anymore.  Red Dog used to be my beer of choice, though.

Yeah, it was kind of nice with a burger.  It was pretty light, but tastier than Bud.  I remember the TV commercial said "It's not some sickening red color."  When I first saw it, I thought it was one those heavy ales that shoots to your bladder like lead!
:P

Written By: Matt on 10/05/04 at 3:55 pm

Red Dog beer is still available in Ohio, although my friends who have moved to other parts of the country are unable to find it.

Written By: Davester on 10/05/04 at 6:41 pm

but tastier than Bud. 

Yes, but most things are...

Never tried Red Dog, but would like to.  I can't find that beer anywhere...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/05/04 at 7:45 pm

It's still here in Colorado...but I prefer Michelob :)

Written By: McDonald on 10/07/04 at 10:38 am

I remember those commercials with that bulldog that actually looked red. Freaky. However, I never got a chance to try it. I was 14 when the 90s ended, so it's not like I got to do much drinking.

Written By: kslack on 10/11/04 at 10:27 am

when it first came out it was marketed as some premium beer, but now its on the shelf next to Busch tall boys

Written By: sputnikcorp on 10/12/04 at 9:35 pm

that beer was sold in canada for awhile. it tasted like bilge water and it gave nasty hangovers.

Written By: Michelle on 08/18/08 at 7:20 pm

What about in TN (Knoxville area)?  Does anyone know if it is still here and maybe where?

Written By: Shacks Train on 08/19/08 at 12:48 am

that beer was sold in canada for awhile. it tasted like bilge water and it gave nasty hangovers.

Oh Yeah like Old Millwalkie
I bought Bud when it first was brewed proper here in Canada 1980 & has been the beer of choice since!
The differance between American & Canadian is very much differant!
Montey Python said "American beer is like making love in a canoe....
F%#king close to water!!! ;D ;D
I guess most of you yanks would pass out on 3 Molson triple xxx.....(9%)
Then again the Brits complain our beer is weak.(but who wants to drink warm beer!)
The only reason the Brits drink warm beer is because LUcas made refridgeraters)
(anyone who owned a British car will understand that one)

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/20/08 at 11:12 pm

I bought Bud when it first was brewed proper here in Canada 1980 & has been the beer of choice since!

Complaining about watery beers, and yet you drink any form of Bud?  (insert your favorite "You're Doing It Wrong!" picture here :)

As for yanks passing out, yeah, the mass-produced American lagers are swill.  The only difference between them and the mass-produced Canadian lagers are that the Canadian swill's got a smidgeon more alcohol in it, but it still doesn't have much more flavor.

Yankee microbrewing particularly in the ale world, however, is on a par with anything in the world, and yes, that includes the world-class Belgian-style ales coming out of Unibroue in Chambly, PQ.  Unibroue's Fin du Monde, Maudite, Blanche de Chambly, and Ephemere are proof positive that Canucks can make good beer, it's just that they're often hampered by local laws and/or provincial liquor store monopolies that prevent them from doing so.  Our West Coast style of India Pale Ale takes the British IPA recipe and drops boatloads of hops into it, over and above what even the Brits used, and takes the whole style of beer to the next level.

If you're in the States, and you ever have a chance to try any beer by Dogfish Head, do so.  Their 90-minute IPA is aggressively hopped, and can be had even in the midwest.  On the East Coast, I can recommend the Schmaltz Brewing Company and their "He'Brew - the Chosen Beer" line of brews.  As an IPA fan, their Lenny Bruce's R.I.P.A. (Rest in Peace / Imperial Pale Ale) is not only as bitter and hoppy as a West Coast IPA, it also features an insane 10% ABV.  If its Belgians you're after, Ommegang (Cooperstown, NY) is a good place to start.  Try the Ommegeddon, if for no other reason than it's a really interesting balance between Belgian yeast/malt flavors and the big-azz hops that are common on the west coast.

On the West Coast, it's a whole nother world.  We've got Port Brewing and Stone (of Arrogant Bastard fame) in SoCal, we've got Russian River Brewing (famous for a huge line of Belgian-style ales, cask-aged beers, and the IPAs known as Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger, and the Blind Pig, two of which are now available in bottles) and Lagunitas in NorCal, and as long as someone else is driving, you can basically drink your way up the entire West Coast, all the way to Rogue Brewing in Oregon. 

If ABV is your watchword, the "lightest" IPA or Belgian on that list would be the Blind Pig at 6.0%, and the "heaviest" would be in the 9-10% range.  Don't even get me started on our Imperial Russian Stout, which take the blackness and gooey thickitude of Guinness, but whose ABV starts at 10%, and goes up.  Or Barleywines at 15-18%.  If its flavor you're after, there's no correlation between alcohol and flavor; any of these beers will blow any lager out of the water, anywhere.  On a hot day, a crisp and clean lager's a great way to cool off (even if it's not gonna hydrate ya!), but if you're pairing beer with food, you want something flavorful enough to stand up to what's on the plate.

Hey, I'll have you know the lights are dim by design!  Lucas is rumored to have suggested that "a gentleman doesn't go motoring after dark".  There's nothing but the finest British smoke coming out of these electrical parts, and the finest British parts falling off of this car, sir!  Joe Lucas wouldn't have had it any other way.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/21/08 at 6:01 am

Oh Yeah like Old Millwalkie
Then again the Brits complain our beer is weak.(but who wants to drink warm beer!)

I take it you're not a fan of Natural Ice than? ;D

Too bad they don't make Buckwheat Beer (It's an Ohio brand) that makes any British Ale taste like water.

Written By: Shacks Train on 08/29/08 at 12:48 am

Hamilton Ontario Brewers....Lakehead makes 3 Stooges beer!
I'd think that would be a collectable......They brew it seasonally so its not always available..
Lakehead makes the poverty beer "Honey"....Its $10 bucks cheaper than the normal 24s so they sell lots..
But its crap!........I've found I don't like switching brands & for all thats offered BUD seems to be the best for me.......That British Black crap you can keep!......Its $34, bucks for a 24 in Canada .Where as in the USA the same 24 goes for $10 bucks & up......But duty would drive the price back up again so for those of us here we get Indians to go grab the beer as status cards wave all duty & taxes!

Written By: unkle_john on 10/22/08 at 2:25 pm

Miller Beer makes Red Dog.
What's sad is that when I worked for Miller back in 99, they considered Red Dog "bargain beer".
Man not even 4 years earlier it was classified as premium.

Written By: tv on 10/30/08 at 5:16 pm

I remember Kenny Wallace used to drive a car sponsored by "Red Dog"  in the Busch Grand National Series of NASCAR in the mid 90's. I liked the emblem for the beer though of the dog.

Written By: EthanM on 10/31/08 at 9:16 am

I remember the commercials from when I wasn't nearly old enough to buy it if I wanted it, but I don't think I'v ever seen it in person. Red stripe, but not red dog.  I think high life is miller's "bargain beer" now.

Check for new replies or respond here...