inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: For those of us too young to be GenX and too old to be GenY

Written By: Joel Welden-Smith on 09/19/04 at 10:15 pm

Sometimes I don't know where I fit. I was too young to remember much of the eighties or to get into the grunge craze until later. For fun I designed this list for people like me, born in the early eighties and raised in the nineties. The list sums up everything about my childhood. You are somewhere between Gen X and Gen Y if :

Video Games/Computer
1. The first system you ever owned was the original 8bit Nintendo.
2. You owned a Power Glove and a Power Pad.
3. You remember when floppies were large and black.
4. You played the original Oregon Trail on those old crappy Macs, and some game where you mined for gems and minerals.
5. Your computer had one of the very first cd-roms, but every disk had to be loaded in a clear plastic case thingy or "caddy".
6. You remember when they still sold the Sega Master System and Atari Lynx in toy stores like Toys R Us.
7. You bought Michael Jackson's Moonwalker game for the Sega Genesis, because it was one of the few games available when the Genesis came out and because Micheal Jackson was still really cool.
8. You remember when a little bit of small grainy video in a game was a bid deal.
9. Your parents wouldn't let you play Night Trap, so you wen't to some friend's house to play it.
10. You actually bought a Virtual Boy because of all the hype about it being the 3D future of handhelds, but all it gave you was two colors and a headache.
11. You watched telivision on your Gamegear.
12. Biggest disappointments ever: 32x, Atari Jaguar, 3DO (I actually bought it instead of the laystation).
13. Phillips Cd-i could be considered the very first dvd player, but it sucked as a video game system.

Music/Tv/Movies/Commercials

14.You sang the Sign in music class.

15.You wore your clothes backwards just like Kriss Kross.

16.You watched the Hammerman and New Kids On the Block cartoons.

17."I wanna be like Mike."

18."I'v fallen and I can't get up."

10.You made music videos forC+C Music Factory and Marky Mark on your Sega CD.

11.You remember when Fred Savage had a movie career, making films such as Little Monsters and The Wizard, two of my favorite movies as a child.

12.You knew Melissa Joan Hart before Sabrina the Teenage Witch, because you watched her all the time on Clarissa Explains It All.

13. Long before crap like Muppets In Space, Muppet Treasure Island, Muppets Tonight, and those stupid Pizza Hut commercials with Miss Piggy soured you on the Muppets, you grew up a big Muppet fan because of Fraggle Rock, Muppet Babies, Follow That Bird, Muppet Christmas Carol, and Sesame Street in it's glory days before all the change in show characters.

14.You watched the last great lineup of SNL with Mike Myers, Adam Sandler, Kevin Nealon, David Spade, Chris Farley, Chris Elliot, Norm McDonald,Tim Meadows, and Phil Hartman, before the long painful decline with unfunny amateurs coming in and out of the cast.

I'll add more to this list, which is a work in progress, but right now the Emmy's are coming on and I'll have to come back to this later. One more comment, anybody who says the nineties sucked has no clue what they're talking about. The very late nineties is when everything started to go to sheesh, with boy bands and girl groups taking over. For a really nice period of the nineties alternative and grunge rock dominated, and this was long before Britney Spears, Nsync, Backstreet Boys, and gangsta rap really took over. Nowadays you have pop punk sheesh like New Found Glory and the Ataris, r&b crap, divas who aren't divas, the Simpson Sisters, Teen Queens like Hillary Duff, thugs like Ja Rule and DMX, etc, etc, etc. In the early to mid-nineties we had mostly rock and maybe a few bubblegum groups. Rap was stuff like Ice Cube and the Fugees.

Subject: Re: For those of us too young to be GenX and too old to be GenY

Written By: mrgazpacho on 09/19/04 at 10:58 pm

Nice post, Joel.

Gives us oldies some insight into you strangely unlike-us kids :D

Written By: Chris on 09/19/04 at 10:59 pm

Awesome list.  I'm 25 years old and almost every single one of those go for me.  Oregon Trail was awesome.  Teachers let us play it all we wanted because they thought it was educational, when all we really cared about was shooting things and killing people so we could write funny stuff on their tombstones.  I still have my 32X and not only did I watch television on my Game Gear, but with a special 75¢ converter at Radio Shack, I was able to hook cable up to the thing.  It really came in handy when I was grounded and not allowed to watch TV  ;)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/20/04 at 12:38 am

If you are too young for GenX, you are in Gen Y! There isn't an in-between generation (sorry!)

Tanya

Written By: Joel Welden-Smith on 09/20/04 at 3:30 am

Continued...

15. You remember when Disney was making animated films good enough to be nominated for oscars, before they cheapened their image churning out a nonstop line of direct to video sequels to classics (Lady and the Tramp 2 and Cinderella 2 come to mind - Walt Disney would not approve)

16. You own a Ren and/or Stimpy doll.

17. You remember when only older people who had money or who were important had cell phones, not like nowadays when most pre-teens have cell phones and it's a guarantee that any time you go on public transit you'll have to listen to several rude people talking loudly on there all at the same time.

18. Rememberwhen Nick had shows like Rocko's Modern Life, Adventure of Pete & Pete, Ren and Stimpy, Hey Dude, Welcome Freshman, Salute Your Shorts, Real Monsters, What would you do?, Double Dare, Roundhouse, Wild and Crazy Kids, Guts, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Doug, Eureka's Castle, Pinwheel, Today's Special, and Danger Mouse, while also playing older shows like the Muppet Show and Rocky & Bullwinkle. Compare and contrast that to Angry Beavers, Catdog, Snick House, the Amanda Show, Rocket Power, the Wild Thornberrys, As Told By Ginger, Slime Time Live, Jimmy Neutron, Butt-Ugly Martians, Caitlin's Way, TEENick, Cousin Skeeter,  etc.

19. Mr. Wizard's World taught you about science at an early age.
20. You are afraid to say "I don't know" or "water".
21. You used to own a lite brite.
22. You also owned a glow worm doll, which would light up when you hugged it.
23. Your sister had a Girl Talk Date Line, a boardgame you won't admit to ever playing.
24. When someone says bedbugs you think of the game you played as a kid, where you used tweezers to retrieve colored bugs off a shaking bed.
25. Mousercize was your introduction to aerobics and brightly colored spandex.
26. You watched your the old classic Disney toons on Mousterpiece Theatre.
27. Nobody had any idea what anime was, except for maybe hardcore nerds. Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, and Dragonball Z have contributed to the flood of anime shows on telivision right now.

28. Movies were originals, not remakes. Today we have classic films like Charade, the Manchurian Candidate, Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the Day of the Jackal, Dawn of the Dead, the Haunting, Planet of the Apes, and others being made into vastly inferior remakes. Other remakes that will come out in the near future: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Around the World In 80 Days, the Longest Yard, etc. I'v also remember hearing on one of those entertainment news shows on telivision that Ellen Degenerate will be replacing the legendary George Burns in a remake of the classic Oh God.

29. We didn't make old, outdated telivision shows into movies. Today we have the awful Charlie Angels movies, the awful Scooby Doo movies, we had the awful Starsky & Hutch, etc. Also being planned is a movie based on Fat Albert. Don't bet your house on it being any better than the Scooby Doo movies, even with antiquated Bill Cosby's involvement. Even with the genius Jim Davis as as one of the writer's, Garfield the Movie is the worst CGA crap since the second Scooby Doo movie(god, please make CGA go away, there may be a few less crappy movies in theatres). By the way, if you want to see Garfield in action, watch Garfield and Friends, a favorite cartoon of my generation.

That's all for now. Check back later for additions to the list or offer your own.  

Written By: Manic on 09/20/04 at 12:21 pm

If you are too young for GenX, you are in Gen Y! There isn't an in-between generation (sorry!)

Tanya

...Or Gen Zzzzzz... ;)

Written By: McDonald on 09/20/04 at 12:40 pm

~ You remember Alanis Morrisette from "You Can't Do That On Television"

~ You've seen every episode of "Saved by the Bell" (the really old ones in juniour high and the original high school cast) at least 4 times each. (And its kncockoff show "California Dreams").

~Ditto for Family Matters, Full House, Step by Step ...etc

~You remember how angry you were when you found out about "Saved by the Bell: The New Class" but also how overjoyed you were when you caught "Saved by the Bell: The College Years"

~ The first glimpse you got of 90210 was A) when your sister was watching it but you weren't allowed to and B) from daily reruns that came on about 11am.

~You faintly remember 80s shows like "Out of this World" and "Punky Brewster."

~You can remember countless shows/movies that were using computers and the internet (or as they would call it, "the information super highway") to do $#!+ that was just impossible.

~ You can remember when your teachers taught you manners and they still showed Halloween and Christmas cartoons at school when those seasons came around.

~You remember those fairy tale videos hosted by Shelly Duval.

~ You remember when Goosebumps books first hit it big.

~ You were ultra-excited when your teacher would show "film strips" in school (not videos, DVDs, etc... FILM strips, and the teachers never could get them to work correctly).

~ You remember that cartoon where a football team had a bus accident and somehow got transported back to Camelot, and the team captain just happened to be named Arthur...)

~ You remember James Bond Jr. and that Cartoon with Wayne Gretzky, Bo Jackson, and I think Michael Jordan (?) as superheroes.

~You can still sing all the words to the original "Captain Planet" theme.

~ Your dream girl was Winnie from "The Wonder Years."

that's all I can summon at the moment.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/21/04 at 7:16 am

I was born in 1969.  I'm part of the "Baby Bust" which followed the "Baby Boom."  The Baby Boom generation become known as "Boomers," so can we call ourselves "Busters"?
;D

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 09/22/04 at 1:14 am

People born in the early 80s or I guess 1979 to 1983, are the frontline of Generation Y, or the "older members" of Generation Y. 

I can understand how you guys can feel left out though.  Because the truth is when Gen Y really starts to emerge in the next few years, the media will start to focus on kids born in the late 80s and 90s.  The media will probably not focus too much on anyone born before the mid 80s as being "Generation Y".  So you guys born in the early 80s will unfortunately sorta be left out of the Generation X, Generation Y deal. 

It's kinda the way people born in the early 1960s who are around 43 often grumble about not being a typical 58 year old Baby Boomer, but they know they are way too old to be a traditional (by media standards) 26 to 35 year old Gen Xer.

blame it on the demographic guys...

Written By: bbigd04 on 09/22/04 at 7:16 pm

Sometimes I don't know where I fit. I was too young to remember much of the eighties or to get into the grunge craze until later. For fun I designed this list for people like me, born in the early eighties and raised in the nineties. The list sums up everything about my childhood. You are somewhere between Gen X and Gen Y if :

Video Games/Computer
4. You played the original Oregon Trail on those old crappy Macs, and some game where you mined for gems and minerals.
5. Your computer had one of the very first cd-roms, but every disk had to be loaded in a clear plastic case thingy or "caddy".
6. You remember when they still sold the Sega Master System and Atari Lynx in toy stores like Toys R Us.
7. You bought Michael Jackson's Moonwalker game for the Sega Genesis, because it was one of the few games available when the Genesis came out and because Micheal Jackson was still really cool.
8. You remember when a little bit of small grainy video in a game was a bid deal.
9. Your parents wouldn't let you play Night Trap, so you wen't to some friend's house to play it.
10. You actually bought a Virtual Boy because of all the hype about it being the 3D future of handhelds, but all it gave you was two colors and a headache.
12. Biggest disappointments ever: 32x, Atari Jaguar, 3DO (I actually bought it instead of the laystation).
13. Phillips Cd-i could be considered the very first dvd player, but it sucked as a video game system.

11.You remember when Fred Savage had a movie career, making films such as Little Monsters and The Wizard, two of my favorite movies as a child.

12.You knew Melissa Joan Hart before Sabrina the Teenage Witch, because you watched her all the time on Clarissa Explains It All.

13. Long before crap like Muppets In Space, Muppet Treasure Island, Muppets Tonight, and those stupid Pizza Hut commercials with Miss Piggy soured you on the Muppets, you grew up a big Muppet fan because of Fraggle Rock, Muppet Babies, Follow That Bird, Muppet Christmas Carol, and Sesame Street in it's glory days before all the change in show characters.

14.You watched the last great lineup of SNL with Mike Myers, Adam Sandler, Kevin Nealon, David Spade, Chris Farley, Chris Elliot, Norm McDonald,Tim Meadows, and Phil Hartman, before the long painful decline with unfunny amateurs coming in and out of the cast.

I'll add more to this list, which is a work in progress, but right now the Emmy's are coming on and I'll have to come back to this later. One more comment, anybody who says the nineties sucked has no clue what they're talking about. The very late nineties is when everything started to go to sh**, with boy bands and girl groups taking over. For a really nice period of the nineties alternative and grunge rock dominated, and this was long before Britney Spears, Nsync, Backstreet Boys, and gangsta rap really took over. Nowadays you have pop punk sh** like New Found Glory and the Ataris, r&b crap, divas who aren't divas, the Simpson Sisters, Teen Queens like Hillary Duff, thugs like Ja Rule and DMX, etc, etc, etc. In the early to mid-nineties we had mostly rock and maybe a few bubblegum groups. Rap was stuff like Ice Cube and the Fugees.

I'm 17 and a lot of those things apply to me. I still have my sega cd and virtual boy. I remeber CD rom caddies my first computer used those I still have a few laying around the house. I remember playing Oregon trail on these old Apple IIgs's early in school. I used to watch clarissa explains it all. I remember wanting a TV tuner for my game gear, but I never got it. I definitely consider my gen y though. To me gen y goes up to anybody currently in their early 20s. Those of us born in their early part of gen y can relate to a lot of things.

Written By: John on 09/22/04 at 8:24 pm

I would like to add that for people that were born (and lived) in countries like the former Soviet Union or Eastern Europe, the generations are somewhat shifted (about +7 years). This is due to the cultural differences of the breakup of the soviet union, etc. Ex. Ghostbusters were popular in the western world in the mid to late 80s, while back in home country :) it was from 1991 to about 1995. Same goes for A LOT of cultural items.

Written By: Chrisrj on 09/25/04 at 11:03 pm

Tanya

He's saying that there's those of us who don't belong in the Grunge-teen-of-1991 crowd or the commercial-pop-of-2004 crowd.

In fact, I often debate the 2 myself.  Someone said that 65-79(39-25) are Gen.X and 81-99(23-5) are gen.Y, and I'm born in 80, so that's another reason I debate the two... but then I just call myself Generation-80 ;D

Besides, who makes these names official?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/25/04 at 11:06 pm

Chrisrj, I can see what you are seeing. But, truth be told, you would be the older members of Gen. Y b/c my sister was born in 1980 and my brother was born in 1983 (in fact, he turns 21 on Monday). While I'm a Gen Xer, they can't relate to anything of mine.

Tanya

Written By: CBH1989er on 09/26/04 at 9:28 pm

Chris Megatron you are speaking the truth, u never hear about  early Gen Y. It seems like the media went from Gen X to mid Gen. Y skipping over the ppl born in early Gen. Y. I was born in the late 80's (1989) and the media is becoming more focused on us born in this time period (1986-1992 of Gen.Y)

btw Gen Z is supposed to be born between 2004-2023

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/27/04 at 11:32 am

CB, I would argue that Generation Z are those born from 1994/1995 on. For example, my son (born in 1998) would be in the Z Generation.

Tanya

Written By: Chaz on 09/28/04 at 11:05 am

There actually are quite a few celebrities born in the early 80s and around 22 or 23 now.  Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake,...etc, etc...a lot of famous people born around 1980 or 1981.  I bet there are more famous people around born in the early 80s then there are in the mid and late 70s combined.  So the older Generation Y crowd is not really underrepresented.  But the die hard fans of these early Gen Y stars are proably much younger and like 12 to 16/17 years of age.  People that can't or can barely remember 1995. 

Written By: tv on 12/25/04 at 9:15 pm

[17."I wanna be like Mike."

I'll add more to this list, which is a work in progress, but right now the Emmy's are coming on and I'll have to come back to this later. One more comment, anybody who says the nineties sucked has no clue what they're talking about. The very late nineties is when everything started to go to sh**, with boy bands and girl groups taking over. For a really nice period of the nineties alternative and grunge rock dominated, and this was long before Britney Spears, Nsync, Backstreet Boys, and gangsta rap really took over. Nowadays you have pop punk sh** like New Found Glory and the Ataris, r&b crap, divas who aren't divas, the Simpson Sisters, Teen Queens like Hillary Duff, thugs like Ja Rule and DMX, etc, etc, etc. In the early to mid-nineties we had mostly rock and maybe a few bubblegum groups. Rap was stuff like Ice Cube and the Fugees.

I remember Number 17 and Number 18 very well. I like both 80's and 90's and both 80's and 90's telivsion shows. I was born in 79 and sometimes I am confused because its like look I  like Seinfeld but I also like 80's TV sitcoms like "Different Strokes" from when I was little. Then other times I like 90's music like Stone Temple Pilots and Pearl Jam  but also like 80's Pop/R&B like Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam and Taylor Dayne. I feel like I am stuck in the middle of 2 generations. It seems like everybody on this boards dislikes the 90's and love the 80's or vice versa but I like both decades. Is that strange or what?

Written By: Howard on 12/26/04 at 12:54 pm

I was born in 1974 but I can remember the 90's pretty clearly.

Howard

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/27/04 at 8:16 pm

I remember what the old Dunkaroos and Kid Cusine boxes and characters used to look like back in the mid-90s...

Written By: Howard on 12/28/04 at 4:18 pm

I remember what the old Dunkaroos and Kid Cusine boxes and characters used to look like back in the mid-90s...

Were Dunkaroos the chocolate cookies you could dunk into a chocolate sauce?

Howard

Written By: McDonald on 12/29/04 at 12:16 am

Were Dunkaroos the chocolate cookies you could dunk into a chocolate sauce?

Howard

You got it... Soooo much better than Teddy Grahams.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/29/04 at 7:30 pm

^ I actually liked Honey Teddy Grahams! My mom would get them for my little brother and I would sneak some into my room!

Tanya

Written By: Roxie on 01/08/05 at 10:28 am

Video Games/Computer

Having beenborn in August of 1982, I had to deal with this generational duality as well. Now I believe this is a special experience only a few cohorts are fortunate to have. We're hybrids!  ;D

RoXie

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/08/05 at 10:33 am

I also remember the Disney Afternoon and when Fox used to show Animaniacs and Batman. :)

Written By: just me on 02/11/05 at 2:47 pm

Tanya

Depends, by some statistics, especailly for marketing, Gen X is at the tail end of the Baby Boomers, from 1961(?) - 1967, the Baby Busters from 1968-1979 and Gen Y from 1980-1992, though most do consider the Baby Busters part of Gen X.

Written By: SkyLowLow on 02/11/05 at 10:35 pm

Video Games/Computer
The first system we owned was a coleco (no not that pumped up one) with 4, count 'em 4 versions of Pong! The first one I remember playing as a child was was the Atari 2600 though. And my first system was the Sega Master System, which I begged for, and my parent regretted ever since HA!

You actually owned a pre-Macintosh brand new Apple, when they were still selling, and cutting edge.

I remember watching the original Muppet Show when I was very young! Also, I still love Muppets take Manhatten adn The Muppet Movie (?!) (the original cool)

I read something that I felt was twisted when I was looking up the years for the generations.  It said that if you were born in 77' you were Generation X, never really felt right to me until reading this post. I have highlighted some of the differences even between the age group I am in and yours.

Good Post

Written By: it's all good on 06/10/05 at 1:11 pm

I'm 19 and probably right at the beginning of gen Y - 1/2 this stuff applies to me.  I was never to in touch with what was cool as a kid (I still don’t own a Nintendo system), but I remember Clarrisa Explains it All, the floppy disks you could actually bend, and although I never owed one of those old apples my friend did & it was the coolest thing on earth.  I remember Organ Trail, some clubhouse game from around the same time, I remember clearly how only rich people had cell phones and when kids started to get them they were the definition of stuck-upness – strait out of the Clueless Movie.  Oh and tapes, we can’t forget tapes.
Gen Y would be my little cousin who’s obsessed with Scooby-Doo, Pookyman etc, maybe even  that’s Gen Y, so my little brother who doesn't know how to tape something off the radio he barely knows what a tape is, let alone how to use one; he probably knows more about records than tapes, as records have an older cool mystic.
Frankly I couldn’t care less which generation I’m in, life is life & the cycle completes it’s self as it should – there are no clear lines and can never be it’s not like if you where born this year your in this generation, and if your born the next year your in the next one, nor do people stop having kids in the in-between times.  People like to have babies when the economy is doing well as it was in the 90’s, so that created a bit of a baby boom that we are now calling gen-Y.  And that's life.

Written By: Yeah Right on 06/11/05 at 10:29 am

Let's just agree that we're all getting older.  Compared to how it was when we were kids in the 80s and 90s anyways.

Written By: Minks on 06/30/05 at 12:12 pm

For anyone would like a technically accurate answer, these are all the american generations.

Puritan: 1588-1617

Cavalier: 1618-1647

Glorious: 1648-1673

Enlightenment: 1674-1700

Awakening: 1701-1723

Liberty:1724-1741

Republican: 1742-1766

Compromise: 1767-1791

Transcendental: 1792-1821

Gilded: 1822-1842

Progressive: 1842-1859

Missionary: 1860-1882

Lost: 1883-1900

G.I: 1901=1924

Silent: 1925-1942

Boomer: 1943-1960

Gen X: 1961-1981

Millenials( or y): 1982-2003

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/06/06 at 12:41 am

Without opening this discussion as to who is what, I would say that your target demographic for this time period would be what mid 70's to early 80's?

You described a lot of things for me growing up, even surprising me with the knowledge that someone remembers the "Virtual Boy"!  :o ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...