inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Battle of the Nerds - Screech or Urkel?

Written By: eightiesfan on 09/24/04 at 7:42 am

I like Steve Urkel the best, especially in the early episodes of Family Matters.  It was hysterical when he would say his famous catchphrase in that nasally voice of his - "Did I do that?".  Hee Hee Hee Snort Snort  ;D

Subject: Re: Battle of the Nerds - Screech or Urkel?

Written By: Harmonica on 09/24/04 at 3:05 pm

I have to go with you on the fact that I liked Steve a little more than I did screech.  The reason being is that although they were both funny, you really got in touch with Steve's feelings.

I alway's admired him a great deal because he wasn't afraid to say how he felt about Laura, and I always felt so much for him because he had a good heart and things just seemed to blow up in his face.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/24/04 at 7:32 pm

Definately Urkel.

Written By: Howard on 09/25/04 at 10:10 am

Screech Powers

Howard

Written By: nally on 09/25/04 at 1:52 pm

that although they were both funny, you really got in touch with Steve's feelings.

I always admired him a great deal because he wasn't afraid to say how he felt about Laura, and I always felt so much for him because he had a good heart and things just seemed to blow up in his face.

The main reason that I started watching Family Matters (in 1991) was Steve Urkel; I thought he was funny. But like you said, he wasn't afraid to express his feelings, whether they were about Laura or whatever. I agree with you totally.

Written By: Jared on 09/25/04 at 6:13 pm

I liked Urkel better, but Family Matters seriously jumped the shark when it became a sci-fi show, with one impossible Urkel invention after another:

-Urkelbot
-The Transformation Chamber
-I think he had a time machine in one epsiode, maybe the CBS years
-The teleportation pad
-The shrink ray

Can anyone remember any other crazy Urkel inventions?

Written By: Koop on 09/25/04 at 8:19 pm

I'm going to have to go with Screech.  :D

Written By: wagonman76 on 09/25/04 at 9:04 pm

Screech was alright.  Urkel drove me up a wall.

Written By: Harmonica on 09/25/04 at 9:35 pm

I liked Urkel better, but Family Matters seriously jumped the shark when it became a sci-fi show, with one impossible Urkel invention after another:

-Urkelbot
-The teleportation pad
-The shrink ray

Speaking of those inventions the one's I remember the most are when he transformed into Elvis and Eienstein at the same time.

I miss the show, too tired to type anymore sorry about the weird short post.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/25/04 at 10:43 pm

Once again...why not a POLL!  :-\\

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/25/04 at 11:03 pm

Screech, b/c Urkel drove me crazy!

Tanya

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/26/04 at 1:29 pm

Screech. Urkle was just too annoying for me.

Cat

Written By: nally on 09/27/04 at 2:33 pm

-Urkelbot
-The teleportation pad
-The shrink ray

I think he had a "lie detector" in one early episode; he tested it on Carl, who got zapped whenever he said something wrong.

Remember that funny-looking little car he drove (called the "Isetta"), where the only door was at the front?

Written By: Jared on 09/27/04 at 3:26 pm

Yeah, Nally, but Urkel didn't invent that car, it was an actual BMW manufactured mistake from the 70s, I beleive,

and thn zapping lie detector..as bad science and bad ethics as it is, it's an old staple of lie detectors in sitcoms, and perhaps the occasional drama as well.

Written By: nally on 09/27/04 at 4:42 pm

Yeah, Nally, but Urkel didn't invent that car, it was an actual BMW manufactured mistake from the 70s, I beleive,

I never said he invented it; I was just pointing out some of the unusual things he used on the show. However, I never have seen any cars that actually looked like that.

Written By: zcrito on 09/27/04 at 10:42 pm

Once again...why not a POLL!  :-\\

So true. So True.

Oh, I'm going with Steve Urkel. I don't think Screech got as much onscreen time as Urkel, so he never got to be as popular.

There was also a joke by one of the late night talk show hosts at the time having to do with the fact that most famous black actor in America is - Steve Urkel ??

:)

Written By: bj26 on 09/28/04 at 10:57 am

Urkel was better when he was young.
Screech was better when he was older,
but I really can't stand either of them :P

Written By: Manny on 09/29/04 at 5:55 am

I liked Urkel better, Urkel was likeable.  Screech was an annoying long necked jackass.  I couldn't stand Screech's voice.

Plus, you could always tell that Jaleel White was just pretending to be an overexaggerated nerd when he played Urkel.  Dustin Diamond (Screech) really was/is a loser.

Written By: bj26 on 09/29/04 at 2:01 pm

I think the funniest guy on that show was the friend of the brother, maybe Waldo - he talked real fast- that guy was hilarious.  Also the father , Carl was funny, imo, Urkel was more corny than funny, except when he would blow something up or do some type of damage and Carl was the brunt of that prank -  that would crack me up  ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/04/04 at 3:02 pm

Oh man, Urkel by far, the thing where he was in the box, classic, i about wet my pants watching that, of course being fairly young and impressionable at the time wetting my pants wasn't as big a challenge.

However, if you really want to settle the debate, find two random people and subject them to either some screechness or Urkelness and see who hits you first, thus you will discover the answer

Written By: sarahmarie on 10/27/04 at 10:54 pm

Urkel, hands down. Laura should have given him a chance. I remember after the show had been on for awhile Urkel grew up and introduced the Winslows to his hot cousin, who was basically Urkel but with sex appeal.

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/28/04 at 2:23 am

Urkel

Written By: tv on 12/26/04 at 8:45 pm

Urkel was the Man back in the day. Sreech really didn't do anything for me. Zach Morris(Mark Paul Gosseler) was the guy that made "Saved By The Bell" a bonified hit on Saturday Mornings.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/27/04 at 1:40 pm

Urkel.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/04 at 4:20 pm

Urkel, hands down. Laura should have given him a chance. I remember after the show had been on for awhile Urkel grew up and introduced the Winslows to his hot cousin, who was basically Urkel but with sex appeal.

Laura always turned him down cause of his nerdiness. ;D

Howard

Written By: eightiesfan on 12/28/04 at 7:22 am

Laura always turned him down cause of his nerdiness. ;D

Howard

Laura finally started falling for Steve in the last season - by the final episode they were engaged.  :)

Written By: Howard on 12/28/04 at 4:11 pm

Laura finally started falling for Steve in the last season - by the final episode they were engaged.  :)

I remember that episode pretty well.

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/28/04 at 4:13 pm

http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/savedbythebell/screech.jpg

Screech Powers was also one of my favorites.he hated getting picked on. ;D

Howard

Written By: nally on 01/06/05 at 11:00 am

I remember that episode pretty well.

Howard

I think I started to see it...but I don't know how it ended.

Written By: eightiesfan on 01/06/05 at 11:09 am

Urkel & Laura were engaged and planning their wedding in the last episode, but they had to postpone it because Steve was sent on some space mission.  In the last scene he's made it back home safely and having a celebration cake with the Winslows.

Written By: AL-B on 01/07/05 at 1:16 am

I don't think I'd want to take a long road trip with either one of these guys. :o

Written By: nally on 01/09/05 at 1:10 am

^ Thanks. ;) I haven't seen the entire series finale (only part 2 of 3, but not part 3). I'd like to see it sometime.

Written By: Jen82 on 02/05/05 at 1:12 pm

Urkel

Written By: whitewolf on 02/05/05 at 5:04 pm

Steve Urkel gots my vote-

The Hot cousin was Stephan-Urkel made a duplicate of himself and used the transformation chamber to turn his duplicate into stephan.

Written By: mr.smith s on 02/06/05 at 9:50 am

I stay Dustin Diamond (Screech)  because he now is doing really bad stand up comedy .He came to York University 2 years ago to do this talk,  I don't even know if was supposed to be comical or serious.  My girlfriend got his autograph and we asked him if he wanted to get high as a joke, his comment was:

"I have to go somewhere else after this.  But he basically was thinking about it for a few seconds.) :o

I think thats ultra Nerdy. At least Steve Urkels got muscles, and intelligence.  and could turn himself into Stephan.

Screech was just Screech and he was on any thing with  the label Saved by the Bell.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/06/05 at 9:55 am

urkel created the urkelbot. how nerdy is that! plus he can turn into bruce lee, major nerd points there. screech was just an annoying freak.

Written By: nally on 11/16/06 at 11:30 am

^ Thanks. ;) I haven't seen the entire series finale (only part 2 of 3, but not part 3). I'd like to see it sometime.

Update: I saw the last part of the finale on ABC Family a few months back. Steve came back safely.

Check for new replies or respond here...