inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most memorable event in the 90s

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/26/04 at 10:39 pm

Any takers? :-\\

Subject: Re: Most memorable event in the 90s

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/26/04 at 11:05 pm

For me, it was the Gulf War, and the OJ Simpson trial, mainly the Bronco chase.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/27/04 at 3:18 am

It probably was the OJ trial in the mid 90s.  The OJ deal changed American TV forever.  TV was already getting very sleazy and raunchy in the late 80s with stuff like Geraldo, but the OJ trial really pushed TV into just gutter sensationlisim.  Reality TV has it's roots with OJ.  I used to love it when broadcast TV aired reruns of old shows in the day time or at night, instead of loading it up with reality TV or paid programming infomercials like now.  And many other story oriented shows are dying out on the big 3 networks in favor of reality TV, because it's so cheap to make.  Maybey we need Bill Cosby to come back and save TV again like he did in 1984. 

Written By: Alice on 10/27/04 at 4:45 am

1990: Margaret Thatcher resignation
1991: The Gulf War
1992: The beginning of a four years long Bosnian conflict, Sinead O' Connor's tearing up a picture of The Pope proclaiming "Fight the enemy" on American TV's "Saturday Night Live", The KLF's leaving a dead sheep at the entrance of the Brit Awards aftershow party
1993: Bill Clinton winning US Elections, the beginning of a Michael Jackson's alleged child abuse affair
1994: Kurt Cobain's death, Nelson Mandela's becoming the President of South Africa, OJ Simpson affair
1995: Manchester United's former striker Eric Cantona's jumping into the crowd and karate kicking a Crystal Palace fan, Manic Street Preachers' Richey Edwards's disappearance
1996: Pulp's Jarvis Cocker's invading  Michael Jackson's stage at the Brit Awards, Dunblane Primary School masacre
1997: Tony Blair's coming to power, Jeff Buckley, Gianni Versace and Princess Diana deaths, 
1998: Frank Sinatra's death
1999: Millennium fever

Written By: Marian on 10/27/04 at 9:35 pm

:DI liked in 1992 when Paul Wylie won the silver medal in figure skating.Unfortunately,Tonya would get a lot more press 2 years later :PCheers!

Written By: eightiesfan on 10/28/04 at 8:17 am

1996 - Madonna giving birth to her first child Lourdes

the phenomenon of Beverly Hills 90210

Written By: joedeertae on 10/28/04 at 8:51 am

Magic Johnson tests positive for HIV
Michael Jordon retired
MLB players go on strike strike / no world series

Written By: bbigd04 on 11/04/04 at 11:37 pm

For me it would be oklahoma city and the Clinton scandal.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/05/04 at 1:00 am

1998 The birth of my son

Before and After that it's a intentional blur!  ;D

Tanya

Written By: Paul on 11/05/04 at 7:17 am

Most memorable (not personal) - 1997 and the goings-on in a certain Paris underpass...

Most memorable (personal) - 1992 and being made redundant for the first (and hopefully last) time...

Written By: Bobby on 11/06/04 at 8:44 am

The Gulf War in 1990/1991 and, of course, Princess Diana's death in 1997.

Written By: dinikid on 11/06/04 at 2:13 pm

I would say Kurt Cobain and Princess Diana passing away, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Lollapalooza Concerts, also President Clinton playing the sax on MTV

Written By: McDonald on 11/09/04 at 12:54 pm

It would have to be Princess Diana, Kosovo, and the Clinton Scandal.

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 11/09/04 at 3:21 pm

For me it would be GW1 as I was at school in Bahrain... tough time.  I will never forget where I was re: Diana but other atrocities I have vivid memories of are Hungerford, Dunblane and the tragic Hillsborough disaster.

Memorable in the 90's too was I lost my virginity lmao... had to end on a good night :-)

Written By: nakatabloom on 11/11/04 at 4:09 pm

Woodstock 25th anniversary

Written By: gordon_deppe on 11/14/04 at 2:12 am

Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Lollapalooza Concerts

I'm so glad to hear Soundgarden mentioned. Soundgarden was a great part of the 90s but very few people seem to remember them nowadays. Hardly ever hear any Soungarden tunes on the radio anymore. The death of Kurt Cobain was also very memorable to me. The last song recorded by Nirvana before Cobain's death was "You Know You're Right". It's worth checking out if you're into the grunge stuff and you havn't heard it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/20/04 at 11:53 am

Personally: Getting my B.A. and graduating "With Honors" and meeting the love of my life.

Internationally: Gulf War I, Bosnia, Oklahoma City bombing, and Colunbine school shooting.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: AngeFaitore on 11/21/04 at 7:39 pm

1996 - Los Del Rio pops the world with Macarana.  ???

1997 - when the Spice Girls invaded America and Hanson were everybody's favorite little boygirls.
The turbulant Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comic serial 'Endgame' in which Princess Sally died came out that spring.  :D

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/02/04 at 9:32 pm

I didn't realize the 90s were over. :o

Man!  That was a blur!

Written By: Echo Nomad on 12/09/05 at 2:43 pm

The night they began the airstrikes in the first gulf war. I remember during the NBC nightly news the reporter making a brief comment about 5 awacs (command and control) taking off, I knew then that the war started. This for me was my first war.

Others..

The OJ trial - car chase and verdict
Waco
Y2K

Written By: whistledog on 12/09/05 at 3:05 pm

This one was a big event in Canadian Music ...

To qualify as Canadian Content, a musical selection must meet atleast two conditions under the MAPL system:

M - Music - written entirely by a Canadian
A - Artist - the song is performed by a Canadian
P - Production - the song is recorded in Canada
L - Lyrics - written entirely by a Canadian

These rules were forced to change in 1991 when the popular album "Waking Up the Neighbours" by Bryan Adams was not considered to be Canadian content because the album was recorded in England and all of the songs were co-written by British record producer Mutt Lange

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 12/09/05 at 9:13 pm

In 1991, there was a mass hysteria over the Guns N Roses release of Use Your Illusion Vol. 1 and 2. There had been 2 years of hype leading up to the hysteria of release day. Nothing like this had been seen since the early days of BeatleMania. There were lines outside of record stores all over the globe, and it shattered sales records. The albums went Gold in 2 hours, and sold several million copies in one day. This record has never been broken. For some reason, this moment in pop culture history is basically ignored.

Written By: Zoso on 12/10/05 at 4:23 am

Gulf War
Michael Jackson "Black or White" music video
Nirvana's "Nevermind"
Michael Jackson allegations
Michael Jackson/Lisa Marie Presley hook-up
OJ Simpson Trial
Princess Diana's death
Clinton scandal
Y2K

Written By: Zoso on 12/10/05 at 4:40 am

In 1991, there was a mass hysteria over the Guns N Roses release of Use Your Illusion Vol. 1 and 2. There had been 2 years of hype leading up to the hysteria of release day. Nothing like this had been seen since the early days of BeatleMania. There were lines outside of record stores all over the globe, and it shattered sales records. The albums went Gold in 2 hours, and sold several million copies in one day. This record has never been broken. For some reason, this moment in pop culture history is basically ignored.

I was thinking about this, and how it has been ignored and overlooked. I was also thinking about Michael Jackson's Dangerous album. It was the exact same thing. There were people sleeping overnight outside record stores to be the first to get the record. It was massive. Before it was even released, two armed men stole boxes full of Dangerous from an airport terminal in LA and sold them on the streets days before the release date. It ended up selling over 30 million copies. It was massive, and IMO the hysteria surrounding Dangerous was bigger than Thriller. I witnessed it, and it was pretty huge. But again, it is often overlooked. Do you want to know why I think Use Your Illusion and Dangerous are overlooked. One work... Nevermind! Nirvana's Nevermind completely overshadowed anything that happened in 1991 in music. I don't see why, because it still didn't sell as much as Dangerous. It wasn't a huge album, it was just famous for creating the grunge fad. IMO, grunge put to end all good rock music. Rock just wasn't the same after Nevermind. Grunge ruined rock music the same way gansta rap ruined black music. That's just my opinion.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/10/05 at 5:13 pm

on a personal note:1996  celebrating the BIG  40 
on a national/global level, the Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinsky scandal  "I did not have sex with that woman"  ;)

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 12/12/05 at 8:46 pm

I was thinking about this, and how it has been ignored and overlooked. I was also thinking about Michael Jackson's Dangerous album. It was the exact same thing. There were people sleeping overnight outside record stores to be the first to get the record. It was massive. Before it was even released, two armed men stole boxes full of Dangerous from an airport terminal in LA and sold them on the streets days before the release date. It ended up selling over 30 million copies. It was massive, and IMO the hysteria surrounding Dangerous was bigger than Thriller. I witnessed it, and it was pretty huge. But again, it is often overlooked. Do you want to know why I think Use Your Illusion and Dangerous are overlooked. One work... Nevermind! Nirvana's Nevermind completely overshadowed anything that happened in 1991 in music. I don't see why, because it still didn't sell as much as Dangerous. It wasn't a huge album, it was just famous for creating the grunge fad. IMO, grunge put to end all good rock music. Rock just wasn't the same after Nevermind. Grunge ruined rock music the same way gansta rap ruined black music. That's just my opinion.
Good point. If people will look at the album sales of grunge albums, they will see that they didn't sell as much as people would like to believe. Grunge was a media inspired hoax, and music still hasn't recovered from it.

Check for new replies or respond here...