inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Metal Fans

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/09/04 at 1:49 pm

With Metal starting to creep back in to the mainstream i was wondering what people though of the Metal of the last 10-15 years.

I am gonna say Metallica, sheerly for the fact that not only have they bought Metal through some dark periods, but they are still recording (some) decent tracks, and are totally.. totally... totally awesome live. I have seen Slayer, Motorhead and Slipknot live, but none compare to Metallica!

Subject: Re: Metal Fans

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/09/04 at 2:37 pm

I say Black Sabbath b/c they helped bring it on (although Led Zeppelin had been credited as the first band). However, I didn't choose Metallica b/c they sorta went poppy as they cut their hair and all. Besides, I still can't forget Lars and the whole Napster thing.

Tanya

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/09/04 at 2:39 pm

Yeah, Lars was dumb there, they never really went Poppy.. just kinda wanted to make money in the mainstream, but they still have there fans at there heart.

Sabbath are awesome and Zepplin reak of awesomness...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/09/04 at 9:09 pm

You're right, alchie. When I mean Poppy, I mean mainstream (I should've said it though).

Tanya

Written By: sputnikcorp on 11/09/04 at 10:50 pm

i voted sabbath but realised it was metallica that made metal it is today. without metallica, metal would have died in the mainstream, it would have been something like goth, kept forever in the sub-culture.

Written By: woops on 11/09/04 at 11:09 pm

I like most of the bands listed, but I chose Judas Priest. Iron Maiden second.

And Black Sabbath did led the trail, but I prefer Ozzy's solo work.

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/10/04 at 3:46 am

Yeah i agree Sabbath were totally awesome, but a lot of the tracks The Prince did on his own were just so righteous..

i voted sabbath but realised it was metallica that made metal it is today. without metallica, metal would have died in the mainstream, it would have been something like goth, kept forever in the sub-culture.
/

See thats what i mean, Metallica took it to a new level

Written By: Davester on 11/10/04 at 3:13 pm

A question:  What's the difference between metal and rock?

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/10/04 at 5:08 pm

Metal is Heavier than Rock.

Right, in your typical rock song (and i am useing rock in it's most recognisable sense) you will have a guy strumming a guitar, a guy playing some drums, a singer and often maybe a piano player.. i know this is a generalisation but work with me. For instance, the rolling stones, a rock band (arguably the best) anyway Metallica who play mainly metal are that much heavier. Everything is louder, not as well refined etc.

It is a very hard distinction to make, especially nowadays and in times past (how would you class Punk.. exactly you wouldn't it's Punk)..

At the end of the day my definition is Metal is let your balls hang out Rock.

But of course it depends on the person.

Written By: Davester on 11/11/04 at 2:17 am

Metal is Heavier than Rock.

Right, in your typical rock song (and i am useing rock in it's most recognisable sense) you will have a guy strumming a guitar, a guy playing some drums, a singer and often maybe a piano player.. i know this is a generalisation but work with me. For instance, the rolling stones, a rock band (arguably the best) anyway Metallica who play mainly metal are that much heavier. Everything is louder, not as well refined etc.

It is a very hard distinction to make, especially nowadays and in times past (how would you class Punk.. exactly you wouldn't it's Punk)..

At the end of the day my definition is Metal is let your balls hang out Rock.

But of course it depends on the person.

I certainly agree with your definition.  More specifically, however, (and I'm no musician) could the essential difference be an upbeat or downbeat?  Or a tempo/rhythm difference?  Or certain key chords played?

In high school, constantly heard Mötley Crüe, RATT, Iron Maiden, Krokus, Dokken, and the likes being referred to as "heavy metal".  I don't agree with this.  I'd call them "hard rock".

Once upon a time there were two kinds of people in this world; Metallica fans and Megadeth fans...I was the latter. Megadeth is hard to classify because it straddles the line between "hard rock" and "metal".  Don't you agree?

Written By: Davester on 11/11/04 at 2:27 am

As to the vote, I'm going with Metallica because of ther longevity and influence, although I'm not a huge fan...

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/11/04 at 2:59 am

As to what you said there.. yeah the definitions are becoming harder and harder to 'define' (for lack of a better word)

I don't think Tempo or Chords make all that much of a difference, for instance you will find most of the music played by Slayer is set to an incredibly fast tempo (listen to the end of Raining Blood.. Jeeeeesus) and a lot of Metallicas music is set to a slower tempo (not always the case however)

Of the bands you talked about Maiden is v. Heavy Metal, almost everything they have done would fall under my definition of heavy metal.. the other bands you talked about, well Mötley Crüe, (being the one i have listend to most) i would say are kinda closer to hard rock however Dokken, maybe not.

Megadeath are another of those bands that are hard to pin down. Listen to Holy Wars and then Crush 'Em. They are on the same album and yet Holy Wars is very heavy and Crush 'Em is kind of.. softer, it could almost be called Pop (in a very loose sense).

Like i say it is a very hard definition to make but of course a lot of music is like that.

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/12/04 at 7:53 am

Huh.. i never had you down as a Metal fan..

Shows what Christina knows..

Well, Metallica never sold out as such... because the didn't alter there musical style 'all' that much to get in to the mainstream, i would say mainstream attitudes adapted to them rather than the other way round, and anyway what kind of sellouts would play in the car park of the grammys for there fans rather than on the stage  ???

Written By: sputnikcorp on 11/12/04 at 10:45 am

one word: napster...i hated metallica ever since. i still love their old stuff but the band now pisses me off.

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/12/04 at 11:01 am

that pissed me off as well.. but face it, all musicians are against it

Written By: goodsin on 11/25/04 at 9:19 am

Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, in that order. Fave albums include "Kill 'em all","Ride the lightning","Master of Puppets"; "So far, so good, so what?"; "Reign in blood".
I would have included Anthrax in the list also, but I'm a speed/ thrash metal freak!

Written By: philbo on 11/25/04 at 9:51 am

Sorry, but it has to be Maiden - they've had the occasional dip in quality over the last quarter-century, but they're still a great band to see live, and the quality of music is exceptional: just because it's heavy don't mean it's unmusical.

Of the bands listed, I've seen Metallica, Slayer, Motorhead, Iron Maiden and Megadeth- I've not seen Judas Priest live, but I did catch Halford (supporting Maiden, as it happens) who was at his best when doing the old Priest numbers.

Written By: Powerslave on 11/26/04 at 12:34 am

Damn. I go away for a couple of weeks and someone posts this thread.  :)

Black Sabbath will always be the greatest of all. If not for them, none of the others would have come along, but all of them are significant and influential on the genre. And just another note on Napster from me: Metallica was right to take a stand against it, but wrong in the way they did it.

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/26/04 at 4:52 am

I disagree, i think without Sabbath a lot of what came along still would have happened, consider that a lot of artists at the same time as Sabbath and even in the years before were beginning to experiment with a lot of different things. However, if anybody was to really take that step, im glad it was Sabbath, they were true artists and changed music forever.

Check for new replies or respond here...