inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Animated Sitcom of the '90's

Written By: woops on 12/04/04 at 2:03 am

My choices:

Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, Beavis & Butt-Head, & Duckman  8)

Subject: Re: Best Animated Sitcom of the '90's

Written By: joedeertae on 12/04/04 at 8:25 am

The Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, King Of The Hiil and Futurama.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 12/04/04 at 11:38 am

simpson, duckman, futurama, southpark and how did you forget to include ren and stimpy on your list!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/04/04 at 12:08 pm

The Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, King Of The Hiil and Futurama, I also like Ren and Stimpy and Duckman!  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/04/04 at 3:38 pm

The Critic, Family Guy, King of the Hill, South Park, and Beavis/Butthead.

Tanya

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/05/04 at 1:53 am

I went with the status quo other than Family Guy. My other was Rocko's Modern Life.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/06/06 at 1:36 am

The Critic: The first time I turned it on , Lt. Worf was playing the spoons in "He Haw, the Next Generation",  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/06 at 1:43 am

The Simpsons.  I would have voted for Family Guy as well, but it only had 1 year in the 90's, so I never saw it as a 90's show

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/06/06 at 1:45 am

If I'm only picking one, The Simpsons ('90s era). ;)

I think if you watch the type of Animated sitcoms through the '90s, you can see how they progressed. I do believe around 1990/91 was when "cartoons" started becoming viewed as less of a "kid" thing, but still not totally outrageous either.

Early Simpsons are a good example. Beavis & Butthead was pretty controversial for 1993, but even that was tame compared to Suuth Park or anything by 1997. You know what? I bet in 1989, King of the Hill would've been semi controversial, but because it followed Beavis & Butthead, it was almost family friendly/sitcom-ish in comparison.

BTW, it's ironic how in many of these shows, the earlier ones were actually a bit more on the edge. In the first couple seasons of The Simpsons, Bart was a real troublemaker, as opposed to just the "good kid who happens to be a smarta*s occasional hellion" he became. Beavis & Butthead also were way more destructive (i.e. "Fire!") before they were just goofy teenage guys who wanted to "score" or "get nachos".

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 1:48 am

The Simpsons...I only could vote for one. However, Dilbert, The Critic, Duckman, Rocko's Modern Life were great too. Though OFF really declined in quality from about late '97 on. I was watching reruns of the older shows constantly in the late '90s, though.

Written By: audkal on 03/06/06 at 9:03 pm

I picked Simpsons, The Critic, Family Guy, and Capital Critters.

I used to like Simpsons better when it was more about Bart and his time at school rather than Homer.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/06/06 at 9:55 pm

The Simpsons, but I'm not a huge fan of the genre.

I think South Park is more of a Zeroes show overall.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 03/07/06 at 1:35 am

DARIA, THE SIMPSONS, THE CRITIC, DUCKMAN AND B AND BUTTHEAD!

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/07/06 at 4:31 am

The Simpsons. That show's been part of my life since I was about seven...so that's thirteen years. Though I think the humour gets a little repetitive (especially since I've watched every ep countless times), especially the overuse of irony, and stealing from so many other things. I don't know if many of the 'Cartoon Network' cartoons like Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, or the Nicktoons like Rugrats or Ren and Stimpy could be counted as 'sit-coms' (they had many elements of sit-coms), but I fondly remember them from my childhood. There was another show called Rockos' Modern Life...don't know who remembers that, kind of wacky Ren and Stimpy sort of humour.

The 90s were a golden age in cartoons...the kids cartoons today are pure sheeshe. Has anyone heard of the 'Odd fairy god-parents' (or something like that)? A really crappy rip-off the Dexter's lab sort of cartoon (in style, format, everything).

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/07/06 at 5:58 am

The Simpsons. That show's been part of my life since I was about seven...so that's thirteen years. Though I think the humour gets a little repetitive (especially since I've watched every ep countless times), especially the overuse of irony, and stealing from so many other things. I don't know if many of the 'Cartoon Network' cartoons like Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, or the Nicktoons like Rugrats or Ren and Stimpy could be counted as 'sit-coms' (they had many elements of sit-coms), but I fondly remember them from my childhood. There was another show called Rockos' Modern Life...don't know who remembers that, kind of wacky Ren and Stimpy sort of humour.

The 90s were a golden age in cartoons...the kids cartoons today are pure sheeshe. Has anyone heard of the 'Odd fairy god-parents' (or something like that)? A really crappy rip-off the Dexter's lab sort of cartoon (in style, format, everything).

I LOVED Rocko's Modern Life up to about 1998 when they stopped showing it frequently on Nick-it was my favorite show between like Pre-K and 1st grade, about 1994 to 1997.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/11/06 at 6:15 pm

Yeah, I think in say the 2030s and starting in the 2010s, the early-mid '90s will be seen as the second golden age of animation after the '30s-'50s period. It had The Simpsons, Beavis and Butthead, The Critic, Daria, Rugrats, Rocko's Modern Life, Doug, Duckman, Ren & Stimpy and other really high-quality stuff, and the classic 1989-1995 run of Disney movies. Animation between the '60s and the '80s was of much lower quality, with the advent of TV. The beginning of the end was South Park, which I personally think has alot to do with the prejudiced, "hyper" attitudes of peak Gen Yers (1984-1990) regarding animation and entertainment, and lower quality animation like Spongebob Squarepants, Powerpuff Girls, Family Guy coming into vogue. Maybe we'll see a revival of good animation eventually, with Gen Yers who remember the "classic age" having kids.

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/11/06 at 11:16 pm

I like Daria a lot, but that's it from this list.

Written By: Ebontyne on 03/12/06 at 12:14 pm

I picked The Simpsons only, because in my opinion the sharpness of its satire was well above most of the others. That doesn't mean that I don't find Family Guy and Futurama funny and quite smart though; it's just that I think The Simpsons has to be the ultimate, most influential animated sitcom of the '90s. Of course, this is only if we talking about the '90s here; I think that The Simpsons sucks now and has sucked for a long time, and if we were only talking about the '00s I wouldn't even have picked it. But back in the '90s, The Simpsons was indisputably king. I still remember everyone talking about the "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" episode in my Grade 6 class. It was really a major cultural phenomenon. :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/12/06 at 4:29 pm

I picked The Simpsons only, because in my opinion the sharpness of its satire was well above most of the others. That doesn't mean that I don't find Family Guy and Futurama funny and quite smart though; it's just that I think The Simpsons has to be the ultimate, most influential animated sitcom of the '90s. Of course, this is only if we talking about the '90s here; I think that The Simpsons sucks now and has sucked for a long time, and if we were only talking about the '00s I wouldn't even have picked it. But back in the '90s, The Simpsons was indisputably king. I still remember everyone talking about the "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" episode in my Grade 6 class. It was really a major cultural phenomenon. :)

Yeah, The Simpsons has sucked since say 1998 or so, almost without interruption, and I think they should have cancelled it by 2000 instead of dragging it out and humiliating it, which the creators and cast wanted to do. Trying to imitate the crasser humor of South Park and Family Guy killed it, as public tastes changed about then from less thoughtful material. Now, younger people for the most part probably don't get what a great show it was, they just think it is Homer being stupid.

Written By: Ebontyne on 03/12/06 at 5:23 pm

Yeah, The Simpsons has sucked since say 1998 or so, almost without interruption, and I think they should have cancelled it by 2000 instead of dragging it out and humiliating it, which the creators and cast wanted to do. Trying to imitate the crasser humor of South Park and Family Guy killed it, as public tastes changed about then from less thoughtful material. Now, younger people for the most part probably don't get what a great show it was, they just think it is Homer being stupid.

I always think of The Simpsons as a distinctly '90s show, because I remember it when it was arguably at its peak in both popularity and creativity. I also think it really captured something of the zeitgeist of the '90s; honestly, if anyone in the future really wanted to know more about the '90s, the first 8-10 seasons of The Simpsons is probably one of the first things I would direct them toward.

I do not mean to say that the show says nothing about the popular culture of our own decade, though. The fact that it has been stretched thin for the past six to eight years, parading around its celebrity guest stars to maintain our interest, and repeating all its own jokes ad nauseum while inventing little that is new or clever, represents part of what this decade is unfortunately about, in my opinion. And yet even still, I think that there are better examples of what is "very '00s" about the '00s than the newer Simpsons seasons. In other words, I also think it is long passed time that they just put the show to rest; it is clearly passed its peak, in every respect. At least I hope that they cancel it before this decade is done.

But yes, anyway.... it was very good for many, many years in the '90s.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...