inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Memories of "Dimebag" Darrell and Pantera

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/10/04 at 9:19 pm

In memory of "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, the former lead guitarist for Pantera who was assassinated while performing with his new band Dangerkill onstage in Columbus, Ohio, I would like to use this thread for those to recount any memories of Pantera, including his stormy relationship with singer Phil Anselmo.

http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2004-12/15404943.jpg

Subject: Re: Memories of "Dimebag" Darrell and Pantera

Written By: SkyLowLow on 12/10/04 at 10:46 pm

While I wasn't a huge fan of Pantera, I did like them mind you, I always marvelled at the talent of Dimebag.  He ha some wicked riffs in his arsenal and always came off as such a card.

R.I. P Dimebag Darrell

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/13/04 at 4:22 pm

He was an incredibly talented Guitarist. Basically bands like Pantera & Slayer got me like really in to music.. at a young age you know how your influenced by bands and get in to music, thats what Pantera  was for me. I didn't like the music in England at that point and was llistening to a lot of my cousins Tapes.. yes Tapes.  ::) Just thought.. wow cool.. how fast can that guy play.

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/13/04 at 6:37 pm

When it received airplay on WRZX, "Broken" was one of my father's favorite Pantera song. I didn't think it was special. "This Love" and "Walk" were better songs.

Written By: Powerslave on 12/15/04 at 8:08 am

I saw Pantera when they came to Australia in 1994, 1996 and 2001. The 2001 concert was spoiled by Phil Anselmo being so drunk he spent half the show baiting the crowd, refused to sing one song because he thought it was "sh*t" and claimed that the Confederate flag was "the only thing white America has left". But when they actually got around to playing, they were fantastic. In 96 they were simply awesome. On each occasion I just marvelled at the way Dime could play so intensely while headbanging so furiously. He sounded like two guitarists. I even had the opportunity to meet Dime and Vinnie once, and they were very cool, funny and down-to-earth guys.

:-[

Written By: Mr Sane on 01/21/05 at 5:36 pm

Now I met Dimebag Darrell (At the time called Diamond) in 1992, whilst they were supporting Megadeth on the Countdown to Extinction tour. At the time I was 17 and he was a true gent. Made me feel like a valued fan. However  tragic DD's death maybe, what disgusts me more than anything is, tbat the the assailants mother bought her son the Berreta 9mm npistol as a present. Who in their right mind mind buys their offspring a weapon? This Xmas I bought my son (who is Ten) a PS2 game, a new Skateboard and some clothes. This sordid event just goes to show how F****** up the US is, and for the sake of us all I just wish they would sort they're gung-ho nature. Perhaps the World would be safer!!

Check for new replies or respond here...