inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Overlooked 90's bands

Written By: suzannnecol2 on 12/18/04 at 11:52 am

I was listening to the radio today and heard "Dream All Day"' by the Posies.  They IMHO were an awesome awesome band who never fully got the recognition I think they deserved.  Any other bands out there you think should have made it but didn'T?  :o

Subject: Re: Overlooked 90's bands

Written By: Chris on 12/18/04 at 12:53 pm

Doubledrive
Fat
The Hunger

Written By: AL-B on 12/18/04 at 5:15 pm

Luna
Wilco

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/18/04 at 9:52 pm

The Tragically Hip
Blue Rodeo

Written By: katie on 12/22/04 at 7:54 pm

ok i am wanting to be an officer for my drill team if any of yall would be so kind anough to help me over the holidays we were all given a time period i was given the90s!and to tell u the truth i dont know a thing about it!what i am supose to do is pick to large events that happened pick a song to do with it and write a bio and try to make it a dance!really hard! if any of yall have an idea let me know please!!!!i have to turn it in by jan8th so the sooner the better!
Katie_anna_kemp@yahoo.com

Written By: SkyLowLow on 12/23/04 at 10:58 am

I would say Faith No More.

"They opened up the door to alternative music and got trampled on the way through."

I have said it before and I will say it again, after their fist album they were ahead of their time.  You can hear their influences in a lot of harder bands nowadays like Korn.

My advice, if you like hard rock pick up "King for a Day Fool for a Lifetime" aka "The Red Album".

Written By: Justin on 01/22/05 at 2:34 am

Check this stuff out...
Ammonia - Drugs
Dada - I Get High
Spot - Moon June Spoon
Self - So Low
That's what forgotten 90's rock is all about....

www.geocities.com/organtendency

Written By: whistledog on 05/22/06 at 10:46 pm

The Tragically Hip
Blue Rodeo

It's a shame they never made it abroad.  America sure missed out on some great songs

Harem Scarem - They had a great 1991 song called "Slowly Slipping Away" that should have been a big hit around the world, but wasn't  :\'(

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/23/06 at 3:37 am

Luna
Wilco

I always think of Wilco as a 00s band; they certainly received recognition in the 00s when their album 'Foxtrot Hotel' won the best 'Alternative album' award in 2004 (I think it was 04). I personally think they're a bit over-hyped in terms of their music.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/23/06 at 12:10 pm

I always think of Wilco as a 00s band; they certainly received recognition in the 00s when their album 'Foxtrot Hotel' won the best 'Alternative album' award in 2004 (I think it was 04). I personally think they're a bit over-hyped in terms of their music.

Yeah, they're one of the following bands that I think of as "'00s in the '90s":

Death Cab for Cutie (debuted in '97, though nobody'd heard of them)
Elliott Smith
Belle and Sebastian
Modest Mouse
Ben Folds Five

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/23/06 at 1:40 pm

There are tons of bands that were popular in the '90s that nobody cares about anymore.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/23/06 at 3:13 pm

There are tons of bands that were popular in the '90s that nobody cares about anymore.

There were so many grunge-influenced pop-rock ensembles, almost a dime a dozen, from like 1994-1998 and to a lesser extent 1998-2001ish. Some bands "nobody cares about anymore":

The Wallflowers
Counting Crows
The Presidents of the United States of America
Chumbawumba
Cake
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Sublime
Catch 22
Better Than Ezra
Hottie and the Blowfish
Dave Matthews Band
Alanis Morisette
Marcy Playground
New Radicals...
Jewel...

The list goes on.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/23/06 at 9:07 pm

Alot of them deserve to be in the position of obscurity they are today because they were pretty ordinary. So there is a difference between an ordinary obscure band, and a really great obscure band, like an uncut diamond hidden beneath all that carbon.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/24/06 at 4:05 am

Apples In Stereo.  A very good indie band, and part of the "Elephant Six" music group(also includes members of Beulah, Neutral Milk Hotel, and a couple of other bands I think).  They had a couple of really good albums in the 90s, Fun Trick Noisemaker, and Tone Soul Evolution.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/24/06 at 5:20 am

Alot of them deserve to be in the position of obscurity they are today because they were pretty ordinary. So there is a difference between an ordinary obscure band, and a really great obscure band, like an uncut diamond hidden beneath all that carbon.

Yeah, that's correct. Like who gives a cr*p about Hootie and the Blowfish anymore? I actually think Everclear were somewhat underrated.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/24/06 at 7:02 am

Yeah, that's correct. Like who gives a cr*p about Hootie and the Blowfish anymore? I actually think Everclear were somewhat underrated.

Lol. Yeah it's seems all I heard in the 90s was 'Hootie and the Blowful' or the 'Dave Matthew's Band' or 'Everclear.' Great bands, but not always deserving of the veneration heaped on them during the 90s.

Written By: chaka on 05/24/06 at 8:22 am

Mad Season.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/24/06 at 12:36 pm

Lol. Yeah it's seems all I heard in the 90s was 'Hootie and the Blowful' or the 'Dave Matthew's Band' or 'Everclear.' Great bands, but not always deserving of the veneration heaped on them during the 90s.

Yeah, these sort of archetypical, vaguely post-grunge pop-rock outfits that were huge, peaking around 1997. Dave Matthews Band was a big deal among some girls even in 1999 when I was in 4th grade. Alot of the girls who liked them back then later became Maroon 5, Jack Johnson, etc. fans in the mid-'00s.

Written By: 1993 on 05/24/06 at 2:02 pm

Yeah, these sort of archetypical, vaguely post-grunge pop-rock outfits that were huge, peaking around 1997. Dave Matthews Band was a big deal among some girls even in 1999 when I was in 4th grade. Alot of the girls who liked them back then later became Maroon 5, Jack Johnson, etc. fans in the mid-'00s.

I still don't understand the whole Jack Johnson appeal. Seems to me the entire beach bum/pot smoking crowd he attracts are really early 90's suburban kids who never really lived near the beach, but grew up in a pressure filled life. Must get straight A's, be a star in every sport, date the cutest guy/girl, be Mr/Ms. Popular, wear the best clothes. Sometimes they have to deal with divorce as well. A reaction to this might've been to turn to "turn off", free yourself from the stress, strain, and pursuit of whatever...and become a surfer.

and perhaps it was also a reaction to the 80's conservative yuppies they knew while growing up. Maybe a reaction to not wanting to be like them.

I personally don't see that much fun in either lifestyle.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/24/06 at 2:07 pm

I still don't understand the whole Jack Johnson appeal. Seems to me the entire beach bum/pot smoking crowd he attracts are really early 90's suburban kids who never really lived near the beach, but grew up in a pressure filled life. Must get straight A's, be a star in every sport, date the cutest guy/girl, be Mr/Ms. Popular, wear the best clothes. Sometimes they have to deal with divorce as well. A reaction to this might've been to turn to "turn off", free yourself from the stress, strain, and pursuit of whatever...and become a surfer.

and perhaps it was also a reaction to the 80's conservative yuppies they knew while growing up. Maybe a reaction to not wanting to be like them.

I personally don't see that much fun in either lifestyle.

Yeah, I don't get it either, honestly...actually, alot of the kids who like him in my school are the work-hard/play-hard preppie types.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/25/06 at 3:16 am

Yeah, I don't get it either, honestly...actually, alot of the kids who like him in my school are the work-hard/play-hard preppie types.

I blame Jack Johnson for almost killing me!

Well, in sort of a round about way...

When I went to an open air rock festival in 2003 I remember Jack Johnson was one of the headline acts. And you can imagine the effect ol' Jack would have had on several thousand screaming teenage girls...since I was standing near the moshpit I was nearly crushed to death, lol. But apart from that, it was a very memorable concert.

Check for new replies or respond here...