inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Reasons that 1999 is now old school

Written By: Chrisrj on 12/21/04 at 5:12 am

Well, a new year is starting to come upon us in a few weeks...
It'll be 2005, but some people still think the late 90s are still around.  I've been thinking about it for a while, now, and I just think that if you think about things more, there actually are some things that make 1999 seem old school:

1.  In 1999, we still had Clinton, who was impeached earlier that year, now we have George W. Bush.  Regardless of whether you agree with his ways or not(I really don't, personally), he still left his mark on the world...

2.  The videogames of the time were N64, Playstation, Sega Dreamcast, and Gameboy Color.  Now we have GameBoy Advance, Gamecube, PS2, and XBox, plus N-Gage, Nintendo DS, and soon, Sony's PSP.

3.  All the hottest music acts of 1999 now are either forgotten, or just ridiculous; seldomly still good.

4.  In the 90s, talk shows were all the rage; now it's reality shows.

5.  If you were 21 in 1999, you'll be 27 in 2005.  :o (no offense, just weird if you think about it)

6.  In 1999, people still wore their baseball caps up front or backwards(and it was bent up front, not flat like a trucker's); now you see more wearing it to the side.

7.  Spongebob was brand new.  Now it's cancelled; all that's left for it this next year is the dvd release of the movie, followed by the tv premiere.

If you can think of any more, pop or not, just list them here.

Subject: Re: Reasons that 1999 is now old school

Written By: eightiesfan on 12/21/04 at 7:25 am

In 1999, people just associated the name Hilton with the hotel chain.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/21/04 at 12:20 pm

I don't think 1999 is old school b/c we are continuing it right now. I would say that 1995 and beforehand would be old-school.

Tanya

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/21/04 at 3:13 pm

SEGA "Dreamcasts"?
I thought it was called the Dreamcast.

Written By: woops on 12/21/04 at 4:02 pm

...and VH1 was still decent.

Not to mention cartoons ("Downtown", "Daria") was still on MTV... Cartoon Network still aired Looney Tunes & Hanna Barabera 'toons...

Written By: Chrisrj on 12/21/04 at 4:05 pm

It was called the Dreamcast.  I just made a typo and didn't realize it til today.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/21/04 at 4:37 pm

Well, a new year is starting to come upon us in a few weeks...
It'll be 2005, but some people still think the late 90s are still around.  I've been thinking about it for a while, now, and I just think that if you think about things more, there actually are some things that make 1999 seem old school:

1.  In 1999, we still had Clinton, who was impeached earlier that year, now we have George W. Bush.  Regardless of whether you agree with his ways or not(I really don't, personally), he still left his mark on the world...

2.  The videogames of the time were N64, Playstation, Sega Dreamcast, and Gameboy Color.  Now we have GameBoy Advance, Gamecube, PS2, and XBox, plus N-Gage, Nintendo DS, and soon, Sony's PSP.

3.  All the hottest music acts of 1999 now are either forgotten, or just ridiculous; seldomly still good.

4.  In the 90s, talk shows were all the rage; now it's reality shows.

5.  If you were 21 in 1999, you'll be 27 in 2005.  :o (no offense, just weird if you think about it)

6.  In 1999, people still wore their baseball caps up front or backwards(and it was bent up front, not flat like a trucker's); now you see more wearing it to the side.

7.  Spongebob was brand new.  Now it's cancelled; all that's left for it this next year is the dvd release of the movie, followed by the tv premiere.

If you can think of any more, pop or not, just list them here.

Spongebob is not cancelled, it went on hiatus so the movie can be made, apparently new episodes will be made soon, beyond that is anyone's guess.

Written By: Howard on 12/21/04 at 5:24 pm

wait 4 years from now and 1999 will be considered Old School. ;D

Howard

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/22/04 at 5:17 am

No offense, but 1999, as I recall, was a crappy year.
I remember feeling misrable and wishing that it would all be over with.
The pop culture sucked that year and it has sucked ever since.
Hell, I guess you could say that I feel like I'm still living in 1999 now.

Written By: Howard on 12/22/04 at 4:13 pm

We can party like it's 1999. ;D

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/22/04 at 8:00 pm

We can party like it's 1999. ;D

Howard

They played that song alot in 1998!  I myseld didn't "Party Like It's 1999!"  ;D

Written By: katie on 12/22/04 at 8:10 pm

ok i am wanting to be an officer for my drill team if any of yall would be so kind anough to help me over the holidays we were all given a time period i was given the90s!and to tell u the truth i dont know a thing about it!what i am supose to do is pick to large events that happened pick a song to do with it and write a bio and try to make it a dance!really hard! if any of yall have an idea let me know please!!!!i have to turn it in by jan8th so the sooner the better!
Katie_anna_kemp@yahoo.com

Written By: annmouse5 on 12/25/04 at 2:17 am

...and VH1 was still decent.

Not to mention cartoons ("Downtown", "Daria") was still on MTV... Cartoon Network still aired Looney Tunes & Hanna Barabera 'toons...

I use to love Daria!

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 12/27/04 at 1:22 pm

Well I never felt old in my life until I turned 24 in 1999 and stuff like Britney Spears started to become cool.  Before that I was walking around as a 23 year old in 1998 and still thinking of myself as some kind of young kid.

The thing is a lot of the current pop culture is an outgrowth of 1999, that's why it's still considered to be lingering around.  Britney Spears may not be as popular as she was in 1999-'01, but she's still a powerful name.  Same goes for Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake, Eminem etc.  These guys are all very 1999.  A lot of things in pop culture changed in 1999. 

To me and my cousin and a lot of my friends, our real old school will probably always be anything before 1998 or 1999 (80s, 90s).  I don't consider 2000 or 2001 "old skool" the way a lot of 20 year olds and under do, because a lot of this crap still looks and sounds the same.  Hell I still think of Britney Spears as brand new, I have to remind myself that to the youth culture she's not as current or in the moment as say 2000.  So yeah I still consider all of this current stuff to be an outgrowth of the very Late 90s.  The "sound" that's generally still popular is very Late 90s.

Come on, you can wear clothes from 1999 and still get away with it.  You couldn't wear cool clothes from 1989 in 1994. 

Written By: Raz on 12/27/04 at 1:53 pm

It's weird when you think that 14 and 15 year old kids from 1999 that couldn't even drive a car are fighting in Iraq today in 2004.  5 years can change a lot.  9 year olds from '99 that were born in 1990 are now 14 years old and poised to be 15.   If you were 21 in 1999 you were slightly too young to get married by most folk's standards.  5-6 years later you would be pushing 30 and marriage is expected.  People getting older moving into different stages of life so quickly is the weirdest bit.  The years go by so fast.

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/27/04 at 8:23 pm

It's weird when you think that 14 and 15 year old kids from 1999 that couldn't even drive a car are fighting in Iraq today in 2004.  5 years can change a lot.  9 year olds from '99 that were born in 1990 are now 14 years old and poised to be 15.  If you were 21 in 1999 you were slightly too young to get married by most folk's standards.  5-6 years later you would be pushing 30 and marriage is expected.  People getting older moving into different stages of life so quickly is the weirdest bit.  The years go by so fast.

That is SO sad.
Man, the years DO go by fast. Four years ago I discovered Thomas Haden Church and I'm surprised that I'm still a fan now. In 2000 I thought I'd have a boyfriend by now.  :\'(

Written By: bbigd04 on 12/28/04 at 1:53 am

I wouldn't consider 1999 "old school", it's a little while ago, but not old school. Now '95 to me would be in that old school category. But things have definitely charged mostly with technology, but also a bit in pop culture and definitely world events also. I remember I wanted a laptop computer in 1999 with a DVD player which was a big deal and cost quite a bit. Mini DV camcorders were new technology and very expensive. DVD was just starting to take off. Playstation and N64 were at the peak of their prime, much like Xbox and Ps2 today. A cheap DVD player cost about $130 or so. Compare that with $30 today. Boy bands and pop princesses topped the music charts. President Clinton was impeached in December '98 and brought before the senate to trial in 1999 and acquitted. I remember being on a boy scount came out and listening to the house vote for impeachment on the radio and reading the big Impeached headlines the following day. The NATO war in Kosovo was going on. Columbine shooting on April 20. Dreamcast released September 9. Y2K talk was on the news alot. There were a lot of those millennium shirts I had a couple of them. The whole y2k thing turned out to be nothing. It's hard to believe 01/01/00 is going to be 5 years ago. The pentium 3 was also released in 1999. I also remember that gas prices were very low and I can remember seeing $.78 gas prices at one time. Digital cell-phones were also brand-new technology. 1999 was pretty much the peak of the 90's economy and the 90's in general. That's pretty much a quick summary of 1999. I believe the napster lawsuit also started around this time. 1999 was a great year, the anticipation of the new millennium, the new technologies, and great economy. I'd say in 4-5 years 1999 will be old school.

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/03/05 at 10:02 pm

I suppose 1999 isn't "old school", but things have changed since then.  I just got tired of everyone saying things haven't.  I'm just saying if you look closely, things did change.  Maybe 1999 is just "mid-school".

It's weird when you think that 14 and 15 year old kids from 1999 that couldn't even drive a car are fighting in Iraq today in 2004.  5 years can change a lot.  9 year olds from '99 that were born in 1990 are now 14 years old and poised to be 15.   If you were 21 in 1999 you were slightly too young to get married by most folk's standards.  5-6 years later you would be pushing 30 and marriage is expected.  People getting older moving into different stages of life so quickly is the weirdest bit.  The years go by so fast.

That's exactly what I was saying.  I was 19 then, and I'm turning 25 in a few weeks. :)

BTW, sorry if I sounded rude in my first post, I was tired and upset.

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/08/05 at 10:24 am

I do feel old. This 2005 marks the tenth anniversaries of both Sliders and Ned and Stacey.
I remember when both shows first came around, even though I didn't get into them until this decade.

Written By: Steve2891 on 01/09/05 at 8:07 am

Things may have changed, but compare 2005 with 1997, and 1995 with 1987. Seems like radical changes in everything between 1987 and 1995. Music and fashion was way, way different in 1995 than in 1987. Between 1997-2005, fashion is virtually the same, and the music is a little different, but not radically different.

Written By: Kyle on 01/11/05 at 7:23 pm

I don't really think 1999 is old skool at all.  Wait until 2009 and see, and that's when '99 is gonna be yesterday's kitty box.  Even the music sounds the same.

I Just Wanna Live (2004) by Good Charlotte.
vs.
All Star (1999) by Smashmouth.

Slide Along Side by Shifty (2004)
vs.
Every Morning (1999) by Suga Ray

Confessions Part I (2004) by Usher

vs.

Ther Hardest Thing (1999) by 98 Degrees.

Seen any diiference.  I don't.

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/20/10 at 9:35 pm

I now see 1999 in the stage where it is "too recent to be retro" but definately "nothing like today's culture". It is over a decade old, so will feel old school to someone born in say 1996 who just grew up with '00s stuff, and would really find the 1999 stuff as "that's old and kitschy"!

-Having Internet and a cellphone was still a big deal; plus the Internet was dial-up and slow; you couldn't get video yet online; just audio.
-CDs were king in terms of music sales; music stores were still common
-CRT "Tube" TVs were the main type of TV monitor; nowadays, they're just "old and outdated".
-You still had VHS selling alongside DVD; we're now in the DVD/Blu Ray transition phase.
-Having a GPS in a car was really a luxury item
-NO SOCIAL MEDIA except for AIM, voice telephone calls were still king
-The only video games that could be emulated were the Atari 2600/Colecovision/Intellivision and Odyssey games. Nowadays, you can even get Playstation 2/XBOX emulated.
-Pagers! Watch some TV/films from this year and you'll likely come across a pager or two.
-CD-Rom encyclopedias or Encarta/Britannica; no Wikipedia
-Big money primetime game shows like Millionaire are no longer cool
-Of course, paper books only (in a way this makes even 2006 a little old school).
-Gas-guzzling vehicles were still cool (gas was a cheap as 80 cents in February of 1999!)
-Disney hadn't yet fully become Pixar/Dreamworks; Tarzan was probably the last "Disney Renassiance" hit
-Straight, smooth hair EVERYWHERE; today, hair is more varied and mixed.
-Good point back in 2004 about the television: reality continues in 2010 as a major genre.
-Rap/autotune not as dominant; lots of Pop/R&B still dominates mainstream radio
-That was the last year Whitney Houston had some success. (she had 3 Top 5 hits that year, her final Grammy; from 2000 onward, she's been tabloid trash like Michael Jackson was from mid-1993 to his death.)

In say 2006, you could still hear many hit songs from 1999 on adult contemporary radio; nowadays, it's uncool!

Written By: Brian06 on 08/21/10 at 9:22 pm

1999 Is 11 years ago people, it's definitely old school now. Now when this topic was made back in 2004 that was different and it really wasn't that old but in 2010 terms 99 is way old school.

Written By: Superflykid2008 on 09/06/10 at 3:40 am

I was born in November of 89, and I was 9 in 99 (well, for almost all of it), and now I'm 20. Back when this was originally posted, it's weird because i was still in middle school then, and now I'm in colllege... >:( And it's all your fault for making time go by so fast...it could still be 2004, and i could still be in middle school having a good time...

Written By: 90'sslapbracelet on 09/06/10 at 8:40 am

i miss 99. i feel so old. i'm turning 29 next year. scary stuff.

Written By: tnf on 09/07/10 at 11:48 am

From 1999, I remember many girls wearing short skirts over flared trousers. Feels very strange now.

Written By: tv on 09/09/10 at 2:55 pm

Comparing '99 to now:

Well Electro-pop wasn;t popular then and nu metal was big then back in 1999. Britney Spears is still big for her music, personal life and fashion, and Christina Aguilera's album "Bionic" flopped really bad. The Backstreet Boys and 98 Degrees are long gone. Jessica Simpson is just good old tabloid fonder now compared to being popular for her music in '99.

I mean a movie like "She's All That" wouldn't be big now either.

Another thing the ecomomy was alot better in the US in 1999 than it is now.

Written By: tv on 09/09/10 at 2:59 pm

In say 2006, you could still hear many hit songs from 1999 on adult contemporary radio; nowadays, it's uncool!
Yeah Smash Mouth, and Sugar Ray were pretty popular in 1999. Shania Twain, Sara Maclaughin, and Jewel were popular then as well in early 1999.

Written By: 90sslapbracelet on 09/12/10 at 3:47 pm

trl is no longer. no teen movies. not to mention that hollywood is
remaking almost every 80s movie. i had my first cellphone in 99
those phones are so old fashioned now.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 09/12/10 at 7:47 pm

Well I never felt old in my life until I turned 24 in 1999 and stuff like Britney Spears started to become cool.  Before that I was walking around as a 23 year old in 1998 and still thinking of myself as some kind of young kid.

The thing is a lot of the current pop culture is an outgrowth of 1999, that's why it's still considered to be lingering around.  Britney Spears may not be as popular as she was in 1999-'01, but she's still a powerful name.  Same goes for Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake, Eminem etc.  These guys are all very 1999.  A lot of things in pop culture changed in 1999. 

To me and my cousin and a lot of my friends, our real old school will probably always be anything before 1998 or 1999 (80s, 90s).  I don't consider 2000 or 2001 "old skool" the way a lot of 20 year olds and under do, because a lot of this crap still looks and sounds the same.  Hell I still think of Britney Spears as brand new, I have to remind myself that to the youth culture she's not as current or in the moment as say 2000.  So yeah I still consider all of this current stuff to be an outgrowth of the very Late 90s.  The "sound" that's generally still popular is very Late 90s.

Come on, you can wear clothes from 1999 and still get away with it.  You couldn't wear cool clothes from 1989 in 1994. 

As far as clothes and whatnot, I think we've entered a period where everything is cool. I mean I see guys wearing 90s style clothes--jeans a t shirt are of course the most common wear. I see guys with long sideburns way past their ears like the 70s, some with long hair, some with short short hair, it just seems like we've come to the point were there is very little except late 80s-early 90s clothes and hairstyles that appear odd.

Written By: 90steen on 09/23/10 at 8:44 pm

Anyone remember the extra dark spikey hair with blonde tips? Don't think I've seen that for 7-8 years.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/23/10 at 8:53 pm

Anyone remember the extra dark spikey hair with blonde tips? Don't think I've seen that for 7-8 years.

Yeah that was like 1999-2002. I tried to do it to my hair once and I ended up with orange hair for a while lmao.

Written By: Starde on 09/24/10 at 11:32 am

Remember that as clear as day! That was popular in the late 90's/early 00's.

By the way, I don't think I would classify 1999 as "old school". To me, I think "old school" refers to anything about 20+ years ago, so I see the early 90's and before as old school. Still crazy to think that 1999 was 11 years ago. So much as changed...

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/26/10 at 7:10 pm

Although I did hear on the radio yesterday on a college football game where one jock said "back in 1999", and the other commentator said "that was a long time ago!" Old school, but not retro (that means 20 or more years ago).

Check for new replies or respond here...