inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Shouldn't Sattelite TV(MC- Music Choice) have a channel for 90's music?

Written By: tv on 01/01/05 at 10:31 pm

I noticed this but Sattelite TV(MC-Music Choice has a channel for 80's music and 70's music? Why can't the 90's have their own music channel? Some of 90's music is covered by "Music Choice" on channels like "Old School Rap", "Alternative Rock" and "Rock" channels. In my opinion the 90's is over and should have its own music channel because the 70's and 80's have their own music channel on (MC-Music Choice.)

Subject: Re: Shouldn't Sattelite TV(MC- Music Choice) have a channel for 90's music?

Written By: woops on 01/01/05 at 10:35 pm

Agree. I haven't seen a lot of my favorite '90's videos for ages.  8)

Though MTV2 now has an hour devoted to old school hip hop videos, mostly from the ;90's.

Then again, I also don't have VH1 Classic, which airs '70's & '80's music videos...

Subject: Re: Shouldn't Sattelite TV(MC- Music Choice) have a channel for 90's music?

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/02/05 at 9:14 am

They do on the Music Choice digital cable package.
For some reason they neglect it on DirecTV.

Written By: nally on 01/02/05 at 8:26 pm

They do on the Music Choice digital cable package.

I was gonna say--Music Choice does have a 90's channel; it was launched last July.

For some reason they neglect it on DirecTV.

I didn't know that. I have digital cable.

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/03/05 at 9:44 am

I have Adelphia Digital and my grandmother has DirecTV, so I've noticed the difference.
DirecTV didn't pick up '90s and Retro-Active.

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/03/05 at 10:49 pm

I think they should, too.  They're already coming out with 90's compilation CDs, so why not?  I'd also like a 1920s station, just to check out all the old vintage music and stuff.

BTW, Music Choice just plays the music, not the videos. 

Written By: nally on 01/16/05 at 8:05 pm

I have Adelphia Digital and my grandmother has DirecTV, so I've noticed the difference.
DirecTV didn't pick up '90s and Retro-Active.

What a bummer. RetroActive is another one of my favorite MusicChoice channels; it plays all the "new wave" stuff of the 80s (including some late 70s and early 90s). I have Adelphia Digital too.

Written By: ... on 01/16/05 at 10:24 pm

I think they should, too.  They're already coming out with 90's compilation CDs, so why not? 

Speaking of 90'S compilation CD's, I saw an advertisment on TV not too long ago for a "Forever 90s" compilation CD that had some stuff that was NOT from the 90s. And I didn't see any songs from before 1994.

Those people who put together that album should do their research. "Breathless" by The Coors and "Here's To The Night" by Eve 6, came out after 1999, for cryin out loud. (In fact, both songs were hits in two thousand and one). ::)

Written By: Guest on 02/01/05 at 8:39 pm

Who needs Radio Disney?  Git rid of that, send it on to Sirius, and call All Ears.  Then replace that with a '90s station.  Radio Disney i not really a channel for the general public; it's more for kids but the 90's is more my speed.  I want to hear more stuff from the mid-late 90s and Hit List shouldn't be just limited to the music of 2003-2005.  It should play music from 1999 to now, because it sounds the same.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/01/05 at 8:56 pm

Music today in 2004-2005 sounds way different from 1999 music.  In 1999-2000 you had crap like "Who Let the Dogs Out".  Now you have crap like "Yeah!"  Music was shhh in 1999, but it was different.  Now 1994, play that Beastie boys track radio dj  8)

On the contrary a bit, is the 90s becoming a popular retro decade now?  The 90s board is almost as active as the 80s board for cryin' out loud!  I am nostalgic about the bulk of the decade (stuff before gen-yers like me were socially consious), but it shouldn't be retro yet!  It just ended!  I say 5 more yrs of 70s/80s nostalgia, than the 90s can make a (brief) comeback.  Although no decades really come back full swing, it's just a bit of hair and influence.

I'll say again:

Nostalgic:

Retro - {1990-91: 80s holdoff}
Old School - {1992-96: The "Real 90s"}

NOT Nostalgic:

Slightly dated crap - {1997-01: The Late 90s}
Current crap - {2002-now+: The "Real 00s"}

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/01/05 at 9:58 pm

On the digital cable package I have, one of the station probally play 90's music.

Written By: 1992thousand on 02/01/05 at 10:18 pm

i love the music choice channels, i can listen to the slow-jams r&b songs without waiting til after 10pm.

Written By: nally on 02/02/05 at 10:41 am

Hit List shouldn't be just limited to the music of 2003-2005.  It should play music from 1999 to now, because it sounds the same.

Hit List plays music from 2000 through today. It used to play music from the late 90's. When I first got Music Choice, back in 2001 (it was when we got digital cable), Hit List was playing music from as early as 1996.

I like the Music Choice channels; I can listen to music I like whenever I want without having to wait for it to be played on the radio. From 1997 through 2001 I spent Friday nights in front of the radio listening to 80's music (this one station had "80s nights" on Fridays from 7:00 to midnight; at the beginning of 2002 they moved it to Sunday nights from 8:00 to midnight and I couldn't really listen to it much; last year they moved it to Saturday nights starting at 7:00; sometimes I'll listen to it when I have nothing better to do); now I can listen to music from the 80's (or any decade for that matter) anytime on Music Choice 80's or Retro-Active.

Written By: tv on 06/21/05 at 11:42 pm

i love the music choice channels, i can listen to the slow-jams r&b songs without waiting til after 10pm.
I;m glad they have the have the Smooth and Classic R&B channel's without rao music. Not that I hate rap music or anything. I just want to actual R&B music sometimes.

Written By: tv on 06/21/05 at 11:50 pm

Hit List plays music from 2000 through today. It used to play music from the late 90's. When I first got Music Choice, back in 2001 (it was when we got digital cable), Hit List was playing music from as early as 1996.

I remember when I first started listening to MC(Music Choice) in 98 they played stuff as far as back as 1990 like Lisa Stansfield and Phil Collins. They also played bands like STP and GinBlossoms from 1994. I understand that stuff from 94 was kinda current and now its not. The Disney Channel who needs it?

Check for new replies or respond here...