inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone remember The Happy Mondays?

Written By: goodsin on 01/10/05 at 9:34 am

Anyone remember this early 90s Madchester band? It was my favourite band of all time, they had a crazed dancer, Bez. He is now appearing on the UK TV show "Celebrity Big Brother"- anyone else from the UK enjoying seeing such an icon on TV again? Also, the Mondays' backing singer, Rowetta, appeared on X-Factor- anyone think she was mad as a hatter? :o

Subject: Re: Anyone remember The Happy Mondays?

Written By: woops on 01/10/05 at 4:44 pm

I don't remember them, but I like their song/video "Step On" which is on the "Essential Music Videos: '80's UK" DVD. For some reason it was listed "1980" when the song actually came out in 1990.

Subject: Re: Anyone remember The Happy Mondays?

Written By: Alice on 01/11/05 at 5:56 am

Happy Mondays were great! They were responsible for that whole late '80s/early '90s Acid House/Rock craze called "Madchester" (their invention), "scallydelia" or "baggy" which I undescribably love the most as they were the first act to mix Acid House with Rock ever. "Pills N Thrills And Bellyaches" (1990) (one of my all time favourite albums BTW) is the most important UK album of the '90s. "WFL (Wrote For Luck)" (1989), "Hallelujah" (1989), "Step On" (1990), "Kinky Afro" (1990) and "Loose Fit" (1991) all are modern classics. Rowetta has one of the most powerful voices in music I've ever heard and is very cool. I cheered up for her in "X-Factor" because she's vastly energic and interesting whichever way you look at.

Check for new replies or respond here...