inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone read comic books?

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/14/05 at 3:50 am

I didn't regularly read comic books myself until 1996, when I became fascinated with X-Men.  That was when Onslaught came onto the scene, which changed my life.  At first, I thought comic books were really childish one-plot stories, but after actually reading one, I found out I was wrong, and it helped me with my stories as well.  I don't do it as much anymore because XMen just sort of went downhill for me since they introduced a friend of Xavier(I remember she had a tie-in to Xavier, but not sure what).  It just got tooo dark for me.

So, who else read comic books in the 90s, or anytime at all?

Subject: Re: Anyone read comic books?

Written By: goodsin on 01/19/05 at 4:51 am

I used to read Fat Freddy & the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers. (I Think Philbo on here used to have an excerpt from Fat Freddy's Cat next to his name). I also used to like Russell, Saga of a Peaceful Man, which is a comic about a British hippy, not sure if anyone outside the UK will have seen it.

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/19/05 at 7:29 am

I'm a longime reader of the Archie Comics version of Sonic the Hedgehog. The comic began its run in 1992 and is still running today.
I'm not as heavily into the book as I used to be because of the bad editing, Ken Penders' dictatorship of the comic, writers Karl Bollars and Romy Chacon, the bad art and too many original characters.
The only reason to read the comic now is when something bad happens to Mina Mongoose or the pencilist is J. Axer or Dawn Best.

I used to read Simpsons Comics obsessively in middle school and then all of a sudden the writing, like the show, started to decline.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/19/05 at 9:25 am

I haven't read a comic book in awhile, my favorites are:

Spider-Man
X-Men
Ghost Rider
Spawn
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Punisher

Written By: mitch1987 on 01/19/05 at 7:42 pm

Yeah I have been collecting them since 1978 or so. Don't get many anymore do to way to many other interests now. I still have a collection of 6000 or so and would never give them up.  :) I have been collecting so long that I have a little of everything. Horror, war, westerns, archies, Richie rich and tons of superhero ones. X men and the New Mutants are two favorites though. I still love looking at all the old ads in them. If you ever wanna know what was on for Saturday morning cartoons throughout the years ...they usually advertised in comics.

Written By: Bobby on 01/19/05 at 7:59 pm

I have a collection of dusty comics but loads of annuals. They are mainly from Fleetway publishers which created classic British comics like Buster, Whizzer and Chips and Whoopee. I do have quite a few Dandy and Beano annuals from years gone by. Them comics have changed a lot since.

Written By: goodsin on 01/20/05 at 10:04 am

I do have quite a few Dandy and Beano annuals from years gone by. Them comics have changed a lot since.

I bet Plug is really handsome now, so as not to offend facially-challenged people, and Smiffy is no longer a person of restricted height, with no neck & spectacles, just to keep up with PC.

Viz comic has to be one of the best of all time. Even though it's not as funny as it used to be (readers of Viz will be familiar with that phrase!), it certainly still pokes the PC brigade firmly in the eye, and bares it's hairy Geordie bum at convention.  ;D

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/20/05 at 8:50 pm

I have a collection of dusty comics but loads of annuals. They are mainly from Fleetway publishers which created classic British comics like Buster, Whizzer and Chips and Whoopee. I do have quite a few Dandy and Beano annuals from years gone by. Them comics have changed a lot since.

Fleetway, huh? Do you have any issues of Sonic the Comic that they released over there? 
I've read that Fleetway Sonic was much more coherent than the Archie Comics series and that it was faithful to the SEGA video games rather than the SatAM (That Sonic cartoon that DiC Animation City made in 1993 and 1995) garbage that we've been fed in the USA. 
Plus, Fleetway never had Julie-Su, Mina Mongoose or those Freedom Fighters.

Written By: Bobby on 01/21/05 at 5:48 am

I bet Plug is really handsome now, so as not to offend facially-challenged people, and Smiffy is no longer a person of restricted height, with no neck & spectacles, just to keep up with PC.

Oddly enough, comics usually keep PC at bay (good thing really). The main gripe I have is that the new cartoonists that have taken over the old characters (like Billy Whizz and Beryl the Peril) are not a patch on the old ones.  >:(

Viz comic has to be one of the best of all time. Even though it's not as funny as it used to be (readers of Viz will be familiar with that phrase!), it certainly still pokes the PC brigade firmly in the eye, and bares it's hairy Geordie bum at convention.  ;D

Lol. I have a few Viz annuals and I think they are incredibly funny (Postman Plod, Spoilt B******, Biffa Bacon, Mr Logic and Roger Mellie crack me up). The comics are more mainstream now and so give way to copius amounts of advertising (not neccessarily a good thing).

Written By: Bobby on 01/21/05 at 5:50 am

Fleetway, huh? Do you have any issues of Sonic the Comic that they released over there? 
I've read that Fleetway Sonic was much more coherent than the Archie Comics series and that it was faithful to the SEGA video games rather than the SatAM (That Sonic cartoon that DiC Animation City made in 1993 and 1995) garbage that we've been fed in the USA. 
Plus, Fleetway never had Julie-Su, Mina Mongoose or those Freedom Fighters.

Unfortunately, Angel, I don't know anything about Sonic the Comic. I didn't even know Fleetway made them to be honest.  :)

Written By: goodsin on 01/21/05 at 7:26 am

Oddly enough, comics usually keep PC at bay (good thing really). The main gripe I have is that the new cartoonists that have taken over the old characters (like Billy Whizz and Beryl the Peril) are not a patch on the old ones.  >:(

Lol. I have a few Viz annuals and I think they are incredibly funny (Postman Plod, Spoilt B******, Biffa Bacon, Mr Logic and Roger Mellie crack me up). The comics are more mainstream now and so give way to copius amounts of advertising (not neccessarily a good thing).

Yep, Viz cracks me up still. I have a lot of (IMO) gullible people in my office, who pay a fortune to go to these "group medium" things, I point them in the direction of this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/comics/funnystrips/morrisstokes01.shtml

I love the first bit of the last page, where Morris is being "taken over by a restless floret of broccoli". Class, long may Viz reign... ;D

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/21/05 at 10:33 am

Unfortunately, Angel, I don't know anything about Sonic the Comic. I didn't even know Fleetway made them to be honest.  :)

Angel? It's Ange. What is it with people in chatrooms and sometimes message boards who think my name is Angel?
I should really put an underscore in my name... *grumble*

Written By: SkyLowLow on 01/21/05 at 6:41 pm

I started collecting comics when I was about 11 and I managed to get some good ones, Woverine 2nd ed. 1 -5, X-Factor 1, Quasar 1-25, Flash 3rd Ed. 1-40, What If? 2nd Edition 3-8, and an X-force #1 in the baggie with 5 (count 'em 5) Shatterstar cards in it, but I was blown away by some good fortune that I had after I stopped collecting.

A local elementary school had ordered about 800 comics for the kids to read, but the librarian at the time decided that they were too violent.  In a stroke of good fortune my father was able to talk to her and she asked him if I liked comics.  He said yes and I was given two full boxes of these comics which included some really sweet Ultraverse, and Razorline (Clive Barker/Marvel) titles, along with the mainstays like X-men, Spiderman etc..

..through sheer guilt I think I have given away nearly 250 of them.  This was nearly ten years ago, and I have just finished bagging them all up.  Luckily the air did not do damage to them.

Written By: Bobby on 01/22/05 at 10:09 am

Angel? It's Ange. What is it with people in chatrooms and sometimes message boards who think my name is Angel?

I'm very sorry. Must be some form of word association thing . . . :-[

Written By: SkyLowLow on 01/22/05 at 2:35 pm

Oh, now it's not that big of a deal is it Angel?

Written By: Bobby on 01/22/05 at 3:54 pm

I started collecting comics when I was about 11 and I managed to get some good ones, Woverine 2nd ed. 1 -5, X-Factor 1, Quasar 1-25, Flash 3rd Ed. 1-40, What If? 2nd Edition 3-8, and an X-force #1 in the baggie with 5 (count 'em 5) Shatterstar cards in it, but I was blown away by some good fortune that I had after I stopped collecting.

A local elementary school had ordered about 800 comics for the kids to read, but the librarian at the time decided that they were too violent.  In a stroke of good fortune my father was able to talk to her and she asked him if I liked comics.  He said yes and I was given two full boxes of these comics which included some really sweet Ultraverse, and Razorline (Clive Barker/Marvel) titles, along with the mainstays like X-men, Spiderman etc..

..through sheer guilt I think I have given away nearly 250 of them.  This was nearly ten years ago, and I have just finished bagging them all up.  Luckily the air did not do damage to them.

My brother used to like the old Batman/Spiderman Marvel comics. I thought they were too deep for a seven year old to read.

Written By: SkyLowLow on 01/22/05 at 10:37 pm

My brother used to like the old Batman/Spiderman Marvel comics. I thought they were too deep for a seven year old to read.

Yeah, I'm not sure when they chaged.  But I do remember one of the first Wolverines that I bought myself had him on the cover as half alien.  There were aliens taking over bodies (sort o' like a zombie infection) and I think a few of the X-men died.

It was maybe a little too much for a 10 year old, but I read that bloddy ccomic book over at least 100 times until I was desensitized.

Written By: Bobby on 01/23/05 at 10:18 am

It was maybe a little too much for a 10 year old, but I read that bloddy ccomic book over at least 100 times until I was desensitized.

Ha ha.  ;D

Written By: Gis on 01/24/05 at 10:18 am

I used to get X-men, New Mutants,Justice(not the justice league) and PSI Force.Also 2000AD,I think Feral was my favourite character from 2000AD.

Check for new replies or respond here...