inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which Is Worse: Wilson Phillips vs. Nelson

Written By: woops on 01/15/05 at 2:51 pm

Though both were 100% atrocious... :P I'd say Nelson since they were the main reason for the downfall of the hair metal genre, IMO

Subject: Re: Which Is Worse: Wilson Phillips vs. Nelson

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/15/05 at 3:07 pm

Another good one, woops! I also chose Nelson :P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/15/05 at 4:24 pm

Nelson....  :P  ;D

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/15/05 at 5:50 pm

I chose Nelson too, but both are OK with me.

(Right now, everyone's saying, "Is there ANYTHING you don't like?!?!?!"  To which I say, "no, not really...")

Written By: Dagwood on 01/15/05 at 6:47 pm

Wilson Phillips

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/16/05 at 5:46 pm

Nelson. I liked Wilson Phillips.

Tanya

Written By: eightiesfan on 01/17/05 at 7:46 am

I went with Nelson, although I just thought of something - the members of both these groups are children of rock-n-roll legends; Matthew and Gunnar Nelson are the twin sons of Ricky Nelson, and Wilson Phillips features Chynna Phillips (daughter of John & Michelle Phillips of the Mamas & Papas) and Wendy and Carnie Wilson (daughters of Beach Boy Brian Wilson).

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/17/05 at 9:26 am

I found the long blonde hair of the Nelsons quite silly and I'm not exactly a fan of WP's music.
I do like Gunnar Nelson, though. He did the song 'Team Chaotix' from the video game Sonic Heroes.
You can download 'Team Chaotix' at Shadow of a Hedgehog (You'll need to sign up free with File Planet): http://www.planetdreamcast.com/sonic/listen/sonic_heroes.shtml

Written By: Useless on 01/17/05 at 4:53 pm

Nelson

Written By: ktelqueen on 01/17/05 at 5:56 pm

Nelson

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/05 at 10:07 pm

I vote for Nelson because they were terrible singers

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/25/05 at 10:26 pm

Nelson

Erin :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/25/05 at 11:29 pm

Looks like Nelson wins (or loses, as this case may be)

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/26/05 at 7:44 am

Hmmm, I can't pick. Just because I like both.

(*waits for the crowd to boo me off stage*) ;D

Well, if I had to pick one, it would be Nelson, but not out of dislike. Merely because I only like a couple of their songs, whereas I like all of WP's hits off their debut album.

Yeah it's true, Nelson were another in the line of "soft hair metal" bands in the late 80's and very early 90's, but they kinda stood apart from the pack to me. Their image just seemed more "nice" and "clean cut" than many of the other hairbands.

"Can't Live Without Your Love and Affection" is so catchy, even if it sounds more like a watered down Loverboy than anything resembling heavy metal.

I fell in love with Wilson Philips' stuff when they came out. Back around late 1990-93 I watched VH1 unceasingly, so those songs were always in rotation (it also never hurt that I always thought they were cute in the "Hold On" video! lol). ;)

The only complaint I might have about them is the lack of a truly upbeat song. Everything on their first album was either a ballad or midtempo. As much as I like that, it does blend together in one sitting.

Written By: STAR70 on 10/26/05 at 3:57 pm

I thought Wilson Philips was totally talented!!! and then they broke up!!!  career suicide!!!!

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 10/27/05 at 10:49 pm

Nelson

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/28/05 at 1:48 am

Nelson

Written By: Carl on 10/28/05 at 11:24 am

I went with Nelson, although I just thought of something - the members of both these groups are children of rock-n-roll legends; Matthew and Gunnar Nelson are the twin sons of Ricky Nelson, and Wilson Phillips features Chynna Phillips (daughter of John & Michelle Phillips of the Mamas & Papas) and Wendy and Carnie Wilson (daughters of Beach Boy Brian Wilson).

Being the siblings of Rock stars isn't always a guarantee you will make it, but there were certain songs by these groups that I liked, not all of them.

I liked 'Love and Affection' by Nelson, it was a catchy tune.

WP's 'Release me' was a good one. 'Give it up' was okay, but those two are the only ones I like. I always thought Wendy Wilson was so hot! I still have a crush onher admittingly!  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...