inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Forget about the 80s being old, the 90s ARE OLD!

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 01/22/05 at 11:25 am

This hit me the other day.  It's 2005 and 1995 was 10 years ago, 1992 was 13 years ago.  Hell 1999 is already 6 years back.  

We go on and on about how surprised we are that the 1980s are old and retro.  But let's face the facts, the 1990s are practically there as well.  Especially the early and mid 90s, but I think some of the late 90s too.  Grunge, plaid, Starbucks, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Bill Clinton, 90210, O.J., Titanic,.....it's all old, old, old.   

In 4 years, the 90s will be treated the way the 80s have been.   Because I remember it was around 1999 that I first heard the 80s go from "old school" to retro or classic.

:o

Subject: Re: Forget about the 80s being old, the 90s ARE OLD!

Written By: woops on 01/22/05 at 4:06 pm

True

Now I'm waxing nostalgia on "I Love the '90's: Part Duex" and watching repeats of "Beavis & Butt-Head" & the '90's incarnation of 'SNL'.  :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/23/05 at 11:40 am

Wow.. people 2-3 years younger than me won't know who Beavis & Butthead are... :o

Written By: Howard on 01/23/05 at 11:45 am

Yeah,unbelieveable.I was watching last night I Love The 90's Part Deux and they were talking about 1999 and that was 6 years ago.Wow,I am getting old. :o

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/23/05 at 12:48 pm

I had moments of feeling old because in one decade I graduated from high school, college, and became a mom. Weird.

Tanya

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 01/23/05 at 12:56 pm

It is "I Love the 90s Part Deux" that really reinforces this for me.  90s pop culture is old, even the late 90s.  By the end of this decade it will be retro.  2000 is already half a decade ago.  We just fly through the years, it's unbelievable.  When I think back to various moments in my life in the 80s and 90s, and I thought about "5 years ago", "10 years ago" or "14 years ago", I remember how long ago I thought that was.  Now it doesn't seem like as much.

Written By: Howard on 01/23/05 at 1:05 pm

It is "I Love the 90s Part Deux" that really reinforces this for me.  90s pop culture is old, even the late 90s.  By the end of this decade it will be retro.  2000 is already half a decade ago.  We just fly through the years, it's unbelievable.  When I think back to various moments in my life in the 80s and 90s, and I thought about "5 years ago", "10 years ago" or "14 years ago", I remember how long ago I thought that was.  Now it doesn't seem like as much.

And before you know it,I Love The 00's will become a special on VH1 5 years from now.

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/23/05 at 1:37 pm

My philosophy is this: so many people (mainly younger ones) are suffering from short-term attention issues and therefore, instead of letting things get older in rightful time, they want everything retro now. I love discussing my life in the late seventies through the nineties because I've let the time marinate properly.

If I didn't let the time pass in a respectful manner, I wouldn't have appreciated it as I do now.

Tanya

Written By: woops on 01/23/05 at 3:36 pm

Wow.. people 2-3 years younger than me won't know who Beavis & Butthead are... :o

Not to forget "Ren & Stimpy", "Rocko's Modern Life", Pearl Jam, cool Metallica, Nirvana, "Adventures of Pete & Pete", TLC, Naughty by Nature, The Cure (they were around in the '90's), etc.

And no more Looney Tunes on TV (except for "Boomerang"...if it doesn't become a preschool channel)  :P Or think of it as "kids' stuff'.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/24/05 at 4:15 am

It feels weird thinking how I was only a kid 10 years ago, and how much I didn't know / care about back then. And the fact that most of the songs, movies and TV shows I watch/listen to at the moment are from the 90s - It's almost hard to beleive it's 2005 alreaady  ???

Written By: Gis on 01/24/05 at 10:14 am

Praise the lord for that !

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/24/05 at 12:09 pm

I know what you're saying.  The 90s (well 1990-96) is faded on youth's memory.  I mean the early-mid 90s is not quite the 80s, but the tech and lifestyle were still kinda similar.  I mean, you could still play Mario or go to an arcade and not be seen as a geek or a square even in 1995-'96.  Although there was Internet then, it was far from essential the way it is today.  Today in the mid-00's, even grandmas have the net.

Written By: eightiesfan on 01/24/05 at 3:58 pm

To me, the late 90's still seem more recent, but I'm starting to feel a bit nostalgic for the early 90's.  :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/24/05 at 4:08 pm

Praise the lord for that !

Ohmigosh.. how how are you so cruel.. those two guided me through a very impressionable period in tip top fashion... now shut up you butthead i'm tired  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/24/05 at 4:52 pm

It feels weird thinking how I was only a kid 10 years ago, and how much I didn't know / care about back then. And the fact that most of the songs, movies and TV shows I watch/listen to at the moment are from the 90s - It's almost hard to beleive it's 2005 alreaady  ???

and before you know it,2000's will be gone and we'll be discussing that. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 01/24/05 at 4:53 pm

and it was 15 years ago,that the 90's began. :o

Howard

Written By: Jasmine on 01/24/05 at 5:17 pm

and it was 15 years ago,that the 90's began.

Ok think of it that way makes me feel old. :\'(

Written By: Howard on 01/24/05 at 5:59 pm

Ok think of it that way makes me feel old. :\'(

Oh,I'm sorry you feel that way. :(

Howard

Written By: ThaSlickerNick on 01/25/05 at 6:31 pm

Yeah, I was 6 in 1995 and I remember clearly that year in my mind! ! ! Time is going by fast! ! ! !

Written By: Howard on 01/25/05 at 6:34 pm

Yeah, I was 6 in 1995 and I remember clearly that year in my mind! ! ! Time is going by fast! ! ! !

Yes.I agree with you. :(

Howard

Written By: woops on 01/25/05 at 8:43 pm

Not to mention no music videos on MTV/VH1 (MTV still plated a couple hours of videos in 1995)  and hardly any classic cartoons on Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon.  :P

Written By: 90s boy on 01/25/05 at 8:54 pm

just tlaking about all the stuff i liked back then makes me feel old it seems like yesturday i was listing to my spice girlss cd and playing with my furby lol

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/26/05 at 3:10 am

LOL Imagine all our kids... eeeeeewww you went outside  :P

Written By: Howard on 01/26/05 at 5:08 pm

LOL Imagine all our kids... eeeeeewww you went outside  :P

What was that about? kids back then never said that. ???

Howard

Written By: Alchoholica on 01/26/05 at 5:16 pm

I meant like in the future.. i bet Kids will hardly ever go outside and do anything

Written By: Howard on 01/26/05 at 5:20 pm

I meant like in the future.. i bet Kids will hardly ever go outside and do anything

Ok,I see what you're getting at. ;)

Howard

Written By: 1992thousand on 01/26/05 at 6:05 pm

by the end of this decade, well have kids in their teenage years who literally grew up with the internet(not like the first part of Gen-Y that adapted during teen years) not only that but lots won't have even known what it was like before we had Instant messenger and broadband outside college dorms and midi's/Real Audio were quality music. you know, back when lots of people actually used the pay-by-hour because really, unless you were a gamer, what was there to do outside of emailing?. I Mean its gonna be weird seeing kids laught at us for talking about corny 2-d games like sonic the hedgehog or those horrible looking PSX games that make you wonder why we ever had 3-d games in the 90s, with all those unrealistic blocky characters and jaggy lines lol. And one day an Offspring song will come on the radio, and they'll tell us how much alternative rock sucked lol.

Written By: 90s boy on 01/26/05 at 10:56 pm

Not to mention no music videos on MTV/VH1 (MTV still plated a couple hours of videos in 1995)  and hardly any classic cartoons on Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon.  :P
i agree to they like to play the new stuff wich mostly sucks and i like the debbie gibson thing u have :)

Written By: Allie Fox on 01/27/05 at 11:44 am

This hit me the other day.  It's 2005 and 1995 was 10 years ago, 1992 was 13 years ago.  Hell 1999 is already 6 years back.  

We go on and on about how surprised we are that the 1980s are old and retro.  But let's face the facts, the 1990s are practically there as well.  Especially the early and mid 90s, but I think some of the late 90s too.  Grunge, plaid, Starbucks, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Bill Clinton, 90210, O.J., Titanic,.....it's all old, old, old.   

In 4 years, the 90s will be treated the way the 80s have been.   Because I remember it was around 1999 that I first heard the 80s go from "old school" to retro or classic.

Hey!  Check out this retro post from five days ago!  ;)

Written By: NullandVoid on 01/27/05 at 7:55 pm

In 1995 I was a Sophomore in Highschool, AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!
I just turned 26 Jan 13th and I already feel ancient. :( 
Now I can see why some people go nuts after 35 ::)

Written By: Guest on 01/29/05 at 7:47 pm

I think your wrong!  The early 90s is what I call wax nostalga, all right.  Beavis and Butthead, Nirvana, cleaned up gansta' rap , etc.  But I do hear (and see snippits of the 90s all the time right now.   :)).  Snoop Dogg was around in 1993, and it is predicted there is going to be a minature comeback to Alannis Morissette, Green Day, The Beastie Boiez, Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees, Brandy and Monica, R-Kelly, and the list goes on and on.  I really think that the 90s is pretty new now!

Written By: Jayson on 02/03/05 at 10:08 pm

When I watched something from 1994 or '95, and it seemed so dated with all the flannel and Beavis and Butthead references.  It then hit me that was 10 years ago.  I can't believe how fast 10-12 years went by. 

I guess if you were under the age of 12 back then, then it would seem like a REALLY LONG TIME AGO, but since I was a teenager in 1994, it seems like yesterday to me.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/04/05 at 6:04 pm

When I watched something from 1994 or '95, and it seemed so dated with all the flannel and Beavis and Butthead references.  It then hit me that was 10 years ago.  I can't believe how fast 10-12 years went by. 

I guess if you were under the age of 12 back then, then it would seem like a REALLY LONG TIME AGO, but since I was a teenager in 1994, it seems like yesterday to me.

Yes it seems like a long time ago to me but living thru the entire decade (even though I was in the single digits, -16 days to 9.95 yrs)
i've never seen it as retro.  Nostalgic yes (well 1990-1996), retro absolutely not.  But a kid born in '95 or later would see it as retro.

Written By: whitewolf on 02/04/05 at 9:47 pm

In 1995 I was a Sophomore in Highschool, AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!
I just turned 26 Jan 13th and I already feel ancient. :( 
Now I can see why some people go nuts after 35 ::)

I graduated high school in 1990, I just turned 35 Jan 27
So I guess I will have to get ready for the Nutty part to set in. :D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Jayson on 02/05/05 at 3:09 pm

^You were 20 years old when you graduated high school?

Written By: whitewolf on 02/05/05 at 3:50 pm

^You were 20 years old when you graduated high school?

yep, but there is nothing wrong with that. I failed one year and I took one year off when I had a baby.

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/16/05 at 8:40 pm

I'm glad to hear you graduated, a lot of people would have just said screw it and went and got GEDs instead. I know a guy who is 20 and will be graudating with me in May, I'll only be 17(a year early, i was originally supposed to be class of '06).

Anyway, I cant believe how time flies. It has been 6 years since 1999 already(I was 11), now I am 17. Its just so hard to internalize that the future is now. Lol, well what I mean is, when I was a kid I always thought about what the future would be like for me, and the 2000s and High School was this big, mythical future lying ahead of me that I had to daydream about. But heck, now I am almost done with High School. That was it? Done already? Kind of like when you were a little kid and afraid of getting a shot, but it was over before you knew it.  :P

I'll be getting my license in the next month, I am nominated for Prom King, I'll be graduating in May, turning 18 in less then a year, starting college. And man, my older brother is going to be 30 in just 2 and a half more years, and he has been married 6 years now already and has kidS of his own.  :D The point I am trying to make is, I am becoming an adult all of a sudden, its snuck up on me. I still have a self-image of just being a kid, but thats not really true for me anymore.

But I'm not alone. My uncle is friends with an elderly man, who is in his late 80s, and he(my unc) told me about an interesting conversation he and his friend had over this very subject, and his friend told him that despite his age and everything he has been through and accomplished in life, at heart, he feels like he should be 15 years old still.

Sad, but kinda re-assuring too.

Written By: Punk Daddy on 02/17/05 at 12:35 am

I will also be turning 30 in two an a half years and have been married for about 4 years and have a baby.

Life does sneak up on you no doubt.

After highschool it kinda accellerates.

Written By: 1992thousand on 02/17/05 at 3:58 pm

I'm glad to hear you graduated, a lot of people would have just said screw it and went and got GEDs instead. I know a guy who is 20 and will be graudating with me in May, I'll only be 17(a year early, i was originally supposed to be class of '06).

Anyway, I cant believe how time flies. It has been 6 years since 1999 already(I was 11), now I am 17. Its just so hard to internalize that the future is now. Lol, well what I mean is, when I was a kid I always thought about what the future would be like for me, and the 2000s and High School was this big, mythical future lying ahead of me that I had to daydream about. But heck, now I am almost done with High School. That was it? Done already? Kind of like when you were a little kid and afraid of getting a shot, but it was over before you knew it.  :P

i can relate to that. I recently saw some old pics of my elementary school "graduation" from '95...there was a big banner up that said "class of 2002" I remember thinking at the time" wow, 2002, its gonna be the future! Man its  gonna take forever!" and then...

what the crap? its suddenly 2005 and in not even 3 months, lots in my class will be completing their junior year of college. I realized after 10th grade that time was starting to really fly by...it was like how can high school be half over already? Life since 11th grade on has been like a flash.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/17/05 at 4:02 pm

i can relate to that. I recently saw some old pics of my elementary school "graduation" from '95...there was a big banner up that said "class of 2002" I remember thinking at the time" wow, 2002, its gonna be the future! Man its  gonna take forever!" and then...

what the crap? its suddenly 2005 and in not even 3 months, lots in my class will be completing their junior year of college. I realized after 10th grade that time was starting to really fly by...it was like how can high school be half over already? Life since 11th grade on has been like a flash.

I remember in 1997, in 5th grade we signed some paper that had all our names on it and said class of 2001, (this was for 8th grade class of 2001) I remember thinking how far off 2001 seemed.

Written By: d90 on 09/03/17 at 2:14 am

Man how time flies. It's now 2017 and by next year 2005 will be as long ago from 2018 as 1992 was long ago from 2005.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/03/17 at 3:24 am

Man how time flies. It's now 2017 and by next year 2005 will be as long ago from 2018 as 1992 was long ago from 2005.

Yup! It's crazy to see these people back in 2005 saying how far away 1995 and 1994 were, but now we're are further away then 2005.
It's crazy to think how much the world has changed just since I've been at school (2005-2017), I also can't believe I'm in my 13th and final year in school! I can remember my first days at school so clearly still. :o

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/03/17 at 9:32 pm

Yup! It's crazy to see these people back in 2005 saying how far away 1995 and 1994 were, but now we're are further away then 2005.
It's crazy to think how much the world has changed just since I've been at school (2005-2017), I also can't believe I'm in my 13th and final year in school! I can remember my first days at school so clearly still. :o

It's crazy to know that next year, kids born in 2010 will be as old as I was when they were born.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/04/17 at 12:46 pm

It's crazy to know that next year, kids born in 2010 will be as old as I was when they were born.

I went through a period of heavy nostalgia for the early '00s around that time.  It's really hard to believe that today is as far from 2010 as 2010 was from the early '00s.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/05/17 at 8:53 pm

And the ultimate proof now: the majority of this year's graduating seniors were born in 2000. That's right, the 1990s (even Britneymania and Poke Fever) are just "history" to them.  Sure, in 2005 when this was created, the first half of the '90s was old, but the later part didn't at the time since both still had the Internet and social media was still a year or two away from exploding, although the presence of things like numerous cellphones, Myspace (very dated now, huh?), the "less innocent" feeling still lingering from 9/11, and TV shows and stars like Paris Hilton and The O.C. gave it a fresh new look. '90s stuff was still common in secondhand stores, VHS tapes were still being sold, most people still had a CRT TV, and of course for someone my age, most of the "hot chicks" unmarried or without a steady BFF.

Of course, the '90s are now almost universally considered "classic rock" and many "classic hits" stations are starting to play Ace of Base, Lenny Kravitz, The Cranberries, and Third Eye Blind. Many of the "hot girls" who graduated in the early '90s are now fast approaching or reaching menopause.  :\'(

Written By: 2001 on 09/05/17 at 9:00 pm

And the ultimate proof now: the majority of this year's graduating seniors were born in 2000. That's right, the 1990s (even Britneymania and Poke Fever) are just "history" to them.  Sure, in 2005 when this was created, the first half of the '90s was old, but the later part didn't at the time since both still had the Internet and social media was still a year or two away from exploding, although the presence of things like numerous cellphones, Myspace (very dated now, huh?), the "less innocent" feeling still lingering from 9/11, and TV shows and stars like Paris Hilton and The O.C. gave it a fresh new look. '90s stuff was still common in secondhand stores, VHS tapes were still being sold, most people still had a CRT TV, and of course for someone my age, most of the "hot chicks" unmarried or without a steady BFF.

Of course, the '90s are now almost universally considered "classic rock" and many "classic hits" stations are starting to play Ace of Base, Lenny Kravitz, The Cranberries, and Third Eye Blind. Many of the "hot girls" who graduated in the early '90s are now fast approaching or reaching menopause.  :\'(

I never thought about it like that. :o

Written By: 80sfan on 09/05/17 at 9:04 pm

Britney will be 36 in December.  :P  :P

Written By: 2001 on 09/05/17 at 9:14 pm

And Xtincta will turn 37 :o

Some members of the Spice Girls are already in their 40s.

Written By: annimal on 09/05/17 at 10:23 pm

in the 80's we didn't start having the technology we started to in did in the 90's did we?

Written By: Howard on 09/06/17 at 5:07 am

I think Kim Kardashian is also 36?  ???

Written By: Bab2781 on 09/06/17 at 12:37 pm

I'm 36...lol

Written By: annimal on 09/06/17 at 4:30 pm

I'm one year younger then you so there

Written By: mjstudios97 on 09/11/17 at 2:19 am

We go on and on about how surprised we are that the 1980s are old and retro.  But let's face the facts, the 1990s are practically there as well.  Especially the early and mid 90s, but I think some of the late 90s too.  Grunge, plaid, Starbucks, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Bill Clinton, 90210, O.J., Titanic,.....it's all old, old, old.  ÂÂ

2005 was 12 years ago. 1999 was 18 years ago. 1995 was 22 years ago. 1992 was 25 years ago.. and the 2000's will be treated soon the same way the 1980's was treated back in this post. :o

Written By: Slim95 on 09/14/17 at 9:30 pm

The 1990s are not only old, they are retro.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/14/17 at 9:32 pm

2005 was 12 years ago. 1999 was 18 years ago. 1995 was 22 years ago. 1992 was 25 years ago.. and the 2000's will be treated soon the same way the 1980's was treated back in this post. :o

Woah isn't that crazy? That truly makes me feel old. When the era you remember and grew up in becomes retro, that's officially a sign you are old lol.

Written By: 2001 on 09/14/17 at 10:03 pm

Woah isn't that crazy? That truly makes me feel old. When the era you remember and grew up in becomes retro, that's officially a sign you are old lol.

You're 22, you're not old haha. ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 09/14/17 at 11:13 pm

The 1990's definitely is retro by now. http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/Smileys/default/HWaQd6Z.png http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/Smileys/default/HWaQd6Z.png http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/Smileys/default/HWaQd6Z.png

Written By: Howard on 09/15/17 at 7:04 am

I'm going to be 44 in 6 months, I'm old.

Check for new replies or respond here...