inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hey Dude

Written By: saratoga954 on 01/28/05 at 10:42 am

I loved that show on Nickelodeon, Hey Dude!  It was that show about the kids who worked at a ranch.  I used to always watch Hey dude, pete and pete, salute your shorts, clarissa explains it all, Freshmen(i think thats the name), and are you afraid of the dark and some other shows.  Nickelodeon has gone way down hill these days!

Subject: Re: Hey Dude

Written By: bj26 on 01/28/05 at 10:56 am

I loved that show on Nickelodeon, Hey Dude!  It was that show about the kids who worked at a ranch.  I used to always watch Hey dude, pete and pete, salute your shorts, clarissa explains it all, Freshmen(i think thats the name), and are you afraid of the dark and some other shows.  Nickelodeon has gone way down hill these days!
I watched all these shows too, they were great.  I heard they show these on some classic presentation, but I've yet to find it. Do you know?

Written By: Harmonica on 01/28/05 at 1:30 pm

Nickelodeon was the bomb back in the day, now it stinks.

Written By: Aubree on 01/29/05 at 7:01 pm

OMG I've been tryin to find the name of that show for sooo long! FRESHMAN..Thank You!! Don't forget about the game shows.. Wild and Crazy Kids, Guts, etc. Oh and the kid shows.. Urekas Castle, David the Nomb, etc.  :)

Written By: cara on 01/29/05 at 7:52 pm

Dude, I loved Hey Dude! Man, Nick's shows today aren't nearly as great as they use to be.

Written By: tarheel101784 on 01/30/05 at 9:57 pm

I totally agree with Aubree on the old Nickolodeon shows that were on in the morning. Ureka's Castle and David the Nomb (sp?) were great shows, I wish I knew of a channel I could watch these two classics on. Any other shows you guys remember that went along with these? BTW, this is my first post! I'm new to the boards here and I just wanted to say hi to everyone!  ;D

Written By: bj26 on 01/31/05 at 8:02 am

I totally agree with Aubree on the old Nickolodeon shows that were on in the morning. Ureka's Castle and David the Nomb (sp?) were great shows, I wish I knew of a channel I could watch these two classics on. Any other shows you guys remember that went along with these? BTW, this is my first post! I'm new to the boards here and I just wanted to say hi to everyone!  ;D
Wilkommen, bienvenue, welcome!

Written By: saratoga954 on 02/02/05 at 11:30 am

I totally agree with Aubree on the old Nickolodeon shows that were on in the morning. Ureka's Castle and David the Nomb (sp?) were great shows, I wish I knew of a channel I could watch these two classics on. Any other shows you guys remember that went along with these? BTW, this is my first post! I'm new to the boards here and I just wanted to say hi to everyone! ;D

Oh yeah I loved those shows!  I liked Fraggle Rock too.  There was also a show about little people, I think it was called The Little Bits... not sure if it was 80's or 90's.  On Disney I liked Under the Umbrella Tree

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/01/05 at 9:21 pm

Old School Nickelodeon was AWESOME!!! My sister's and I used to always watch Pete & Pete, Salute your Shorts, Hey Dude, You can't do that on television, Clarissa, Roundhouse, and the list goes on and on......you know what would be super cool??....if they had a channel on TV where they played nothing but old school nickelodeon shows....I mean, I know they have the channel called GUTS....etc...but they don't play all of the good stuff, ya know?

Erin :)

Written By: jwsisliving1 on 03/02/05 at 3:02 am

My childhood was Nickelodeon and the Disney Channel, above all else. I dreamed of going to Nickelodeon studios, I had to have all the cool innovative toys, I played with my Gak all the time, and a saturday didn't go by when I wouldn't watch Snick. How many kids nowadays can say that they lived, ate, slept, and dreamed Nick?

Nick's glory days are over, only to be remembered fondly as defining an era and a generation. Even the cartoons and shorts they ran on the channel were classic. I had forgotten about them, until http://www.johnnorrisbrown.com/classic-nick/miscnick/index.htm refreshed my memory. A quote from the page: " There was a short of The Cat Came Back
There used to be commercials where Abraham Lincoln was sitting in a barber shop, and there was a Barber Shop Quartet who sang: "Nickelodeon.. our TV Network.. Nickelodeon.. The place for kids.. Nickelodeon" and all their wigs flew off.
There was a commercial that had an anteater (I guess that's what it was) eating spaghetti with its snout. When it had eaten it all, the plate said "Nickelodeon", and the anteater burped.
There was also a commercial where a grilled cheese sandwich melts and spells out "Nickelodeon".
There was one where a kid wakes up in the middle of the night on his couch and walked to his bed. On his way, he passes a rug that says "Nickelodeon", and a toaster with "Nickelodeon" coming out of it. On his way to bed he says "Nickelodeon" a few times, and when he gets into bed he "dreams" "Nickelodeon".
Who can ever forget the Toys R Us Super Toy Run or Nick Takes Over Your School ? There was also a Nickelodeon Stocking Stuffer Give Away , and Easter Egg Hunt '89 (obviously in 1989). In the Easter Egg hunt, when you saw an easter egg during a Nick show, you called a number.There was also a contest where if you spotted Looney Tunes character during a Nick show, you called and reported it, but as one kid put it (on TV): "the phone company freaked, and demanded that Nick cancel the contest. We said sure, but not before we'd given away every last bit of looney loot."

http://www.johnnorrisbrown.com/classic-nick/miscnick/sportscartoon1.gif

A close second was the Disney channel. Dumbo's Circus, Welcome to Pooh Corner, Mousterpiece Theatre, Mousercise, Duck Tales, Chip & Dale, and those music videos where they had rock,classic, and pop songs that played to old disney cartoons (you could rent them in the video store too).

http://i22.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/82/b1/f9_1_b.JPG

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/02/05 at 7:26 am

thanks for the cool trip down memory lane!!!

Erin :)

Written By: Webstor on 03/02/05 at 2:46 pm

Hey Dude was a great TV show.  The Bar None Ranch !!!

That was probably the last show I watched on Nickelodeon....towrds end of my childhood.

I grew up with it in the eighties with shows like
Pinwheel, Today's Special, Dangermouse, You Can't Do That on Televison, Belle & Sebastian,
The mysterious cities of Gold, Spartacus and the sun beneath the Sea, Black Beauty...etc...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/02/05 at 4:23 pm

those were all really great shows.....it makes me wanna cry to think of the garbage that kids have to watch now...compared to the great stuff we had when we were kids!!!!

Erin  :P

Written By: d_brofi on 04/13/05 at 12:48 pm

What about all the awesome cartoons like Doug, the original Rugrats cartoons, Mya (sp?) the bee, and the koala bears or whatever it was called. I remember watching cartoons like Count Duckula and Danger Mouse (which I still love, and miss). And on Cartoon network, there was "The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley", which I would do just about anything to be able to see again!!!

And of course, the Gnomes (I recently heard the theme to that again and it made me cry). There was another show like Welcome, Freshmen, called "Fifteen", that used to come on around the same time.

And the gameshows? Who remembers Double Dare? I used to love that show! And "What Would You Do", with all those pies? I always wanted to be on that show and go on the Pie Slide lol, at least I think that's what it was called, where you slide into that huge pie.

I remember Stick Stickley, and the first realization I had that he didn't come on anymore. And the cartoons shorts they used to show, I remember one with a cat, that had a jazzy walking bass-line music in the background, and the cat dropped his yarnball in a toilet or something like that.

So many great memories . . . they NEED a Nickelodeon Classics Channel! Sad to think the kids these days won't ever know how great Nick used to be . . .

peace is the word
bunny

Written By: Tha Sun God on 04/15/05 at 7:57 pm

man heck yea man... THEY BRING BACK GREEEAAT oldskool memories. i just feel relieved thinking about their theme songs n stuff. WHat was the name of that show that used to come on nick, that had these teenagers in camp or something, and this one dude loved salami, and there was an overweight kid that loved to eat.. i forgot OH man that show was classic. I NEED THE NAME! aint it somethin like "Salute" or "I salute you" or somethin i dunno? sprry for the vague description

Written By: Tha Sun God on 04/15/05 at 7:59 pm

LMAO! i just read the name of this thread thats it! lol! sorry i'm high....

Written By: Tha Sun God on 04/15/05 at 8:02 pm

but seriously the shows that are on nick nowadays are a F**k'n disgrace to what nickelodeon used to be. The past felt better and it truely refurbishes my soul.

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/16/05 at 8:58 am

I wasn't really into Hey Dude, but I did watch Eat My Shorts.

Written By: d_brofi on 04/18/05 at 2:21 am

I wasn't really into Hey Dude, but I did watch Eat My Shorts.

Dude, it's "Salute your Shorts", man. "Eat my shorts" is Bart Simpson lol

peace is the word
bunny

Written By: SkyLowLow on 04/18/05 at 4:31 pm

those were all really great shows.....it makes me wanna cry to think of the garbage that kids have to watch now...compared to the great stuff we had when we were kids!!!!

Erin  :P

I think a more reasonable explaination is that you just got older ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...