inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '90's Alternative Rock Battle: Green Day vs The Offspring

Written By: woops on 01/28/05 at 4:35 pm

Though I like both bands, I'd select Green Day for starting the trend. Though it's more alternative than "punk", IMO. Or 'Pop Punk', which unfortunately many bands today like Good Charlotte, Avril Lavinge, Sum 41, try to emulate and doesn't have a clue on what ipunk is all about. Not to mention Avril isn't familiar with The Sex Pistols. Heck, even hair bands (which most aren't 'metal') are more hardcore than the mention acts Sum 41, Avril Lavinge, &  Good Charlotte.

The only decent "pop punk" (I usually just use the term alternative) band today is Blink 182, which was around since the late 1990's.

Subject: Re: '90's Alternative Rock Battle: Green Day vs The Offspring

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/28/05 at 5:11 pm

I actually believe The Offspring came out first. But, I voted for Green Day.

Tanya

Written By: sputnikcorp on 01/28/05 at 5:13 pm

offspring

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/28/05 at 7:17 pm

Both.

Written By: Aubree on 01/29/05 at 6:52 pm

I love Green Day Sooo Much!! :D They are the BEST!

Written By: Jen82 on 02/05/05 at 1:03 pm

The Offspring!

Written By: AchtungBaby on 02/05/05 at 2:39 pm

Green Day.  Nothing against Offspring - but longevity - I see Green Day!! :)

Written By: Judas on 02/05/05 at 5:57 pm

Green Day

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/05/05 at 6:02 pm

Tough... both are awesome, but Greenday have made more of an impact on me.

Written By: AL-B on 02/05/05 at 9:11 pm

I grudgingly vote for the Offspring. I swear they're the weirdest band ever. Half of their songs I think are great and have some killer guitar riffs, and the other half I absolutely can't stand because they're stupid and irritating. (The songs that I think are good I like so much that they put them ahead of Green Day.) Whenever I hear a new Offspring song I either crank it up or change the station. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Written By: Miss Tainted on 02/05/05 at 9:29 pm

I hate Greenday with a passion they could blow up for all I care besides The Offspring are pretty good.  :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/06/05 at 8:05 am

I grudgingly vote for the Offspring. I swear they're the weirdest band ever. Half of their songs I think are great and have some killer guitar riffs, and the other half I absolutely can't stand because they're stupid and irritating. (The songs that I think are good I like so much that they put them ahead of Green Day.) Whenever I hear a new Offspring song I either crank it up or change the station. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Nah i hate like half there stuff as well. It's because they try and experiment a lot.. with Greenday you usually know where you stand whereas The Offspring try and be creative. This can be both good and bad for the reasons you illustrated.

Written By: nally on 02/09/05 at 10:15 pm

I don't know any music by the Offspring, so I'll go with Green Day.

Written By: 1992thousand on 02/10/05 at 12:02 am

hmm i'm going with the Offspring. Green Day was good, but i usually like my rock with a little more metal/harder edge. Which is why i can listen to Sum41 but not pop punk like Good Charlotte or Newfound Glory.

Written By: Kojak on 02/15/05 at 9:36 pm

Neither of those two are remotely alternative. They're the complete opposite of what alt is.

Written By: minksy on 02/15/05 at 9:55 pm

Greenday. Because, well I can't remember that other band The Offspring. Can someone name a few title songs of thirs..

Written By: woops on 02/15/05 at 10:53 pm

Greenday. Because, well I can't remember that other band The Offspring. Can someone name a few title songs of thirs..

The Offspring had a couple hits like "Come Out & Play (Keep Them Seperated)" & "Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)".  :)

Written By: minksy on 02/15/05 at 11:01 pm

Thanks for helping me remember. Darn, they were a good band too.

I say both.

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/16/05 at 5:15 am

Are you f*cking joking? Thats like comparing...well, Greenday with the Offspring. Or ACDC with Jet (an Aussie rock band if you haven't heart of them).

I think you can guess who I voted for...

Written By: Punk Daddy on 02/16/05 at 5:22 am

Greenday I'd say was definitely much more influential. Dude, I so remember them at the 1994 MTV music awards being intro'd as the new punk-sters. Surprised at how long they've been able to last.

Offspring...they're the 90s version of weird al I'm sorry to say. Their songs just seem like parodies to me.

Written By: BillieJoe on 04/25/05 at 11:42 pm

dude Green Day is the best. THe Offspring is OK but their vocals suck and they have this kind of mexican taint to them, but which other punk idol has ever stepped up and created an opera masterpiece? GREEN DAY!!!!!!  Green Day also tried some new things the difference is they succeeded while the offspring failed. For example I bought the offspring's new album called splinter, I listened to it alot and within a week had enuff of it, I got green day's american idiot, and its tuff to go through a whole day without listening to it

GREEN DAY IS THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: Butterfly on 04/26/05 at 4:55 pm

Green Day

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/28/05 at 4:47 pm

GREEN DAY!!! GREEN DAY!!!

Written By: MagnumPI on 07/13/05 at 4:00 pm

fudge greenday they suck monkey OFFSPRING ROCKS

Written By: annonymouse on 08/07/05 at 12:07 pm

srry  i gota go with green day

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/05 at 4:57 pm

Green Day

Written By: Lakes on 09/20/05 at 9:59 pm

I would go with the Offspring because I just think they are better

Written By: Audrey on 09/20/05 at 10:31 pm

Oh my gosh they are both good!  But I'm gonna have to go w/Green Day.  I bought my very first album in 1995 (I was 5 at the time), it was Green Day - Insomniac.  And I still like them to this day.  My brothers listened to Offspring alot though about in the mid 90s so I grew up listening to both of these bands' music.

Written By: JarethsCrystal on 09/21/05 at 12:47 pm

Offspring...they're the 90s version of weird al I'm sorry to say. Their songs just seem like parodies to me.

I voted Offspring. This is for a few reasons. One of them being I don't like Green Day, but I digress.

The earlier Offspring albums had much more of a punk/rock edge than their more recent ones. I am starting to get a little disenchanted with the band because, yeah, songs like "Pretty fly..." are too poppy for me. Have you heard their most recent offerings? Totally pop-rock. But! If you look at albums like Ignition, it is way more punk than anything they produce now. I think "Burn It Up" is a classic song.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/22/05 at 10:12 am

Even though I'm typically a much bigger 80's music fan, I happen to think both bands are some of the best of the 90's (and to a lesser extent, 2000's).

I went with the Offspring though. I got into them first - right around when Americana came out (okay, I was still a late bloomer!). Overall, I think they're more varied musically with a freakin' great sense of humor too.

Green Day are one of those bands who have some good individual songs, but I'm not as crazy about them overall. Billie Joe's voice can grate on me after awhile, although I do love their latest hit, "Holiday" and a good deal of 2000's Warning album.

Check for new replies or respond here...