inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What part of the '90s is the most like 2005.

Written By: Guest on 01/29/05 at 7:52 pm

What do you think!

Early '90s
Mid-90's
Late-90s
All of them
Neither!

I pick the late and mid 90's.

Subject: Re: What part of the '90s is the most like 2005.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 01/29/05 at 10:09 pm

FHF here,

I'd say no part of the 1990s is a lot like 2005.  But if I had to say one time it would be 1999, and maybe 98 and late 97.  Although 2004 seemed to be a alot like 1990 in the sense that there was great 80s influence but by no means a full appreciation of 80s style. 

Today, in 2005 (really since 02 actually), the 90s are almost totally gone.  I mean, sure the 90s aren't uncool yet, but who under 25 has heard of any Grunge act beside the big guys (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and the like)?  I've heard of a few more and I'm 15, but that's just because I'm geek.  ;)

Also, what bands from the 1990s are still around?  Blink are, but they're mostly very late 1990s.  Ditto with Korn and Offspring (although the Offspring had legit success as early as 1994).  Britney doesn't count.  Nor does Eminem. No Doubt are still around, although the 90s were hostile to them so that barely counts.

As for movies, well let's face it: today's movies kick a*s and are in my opinion the best thing about today by far besides technology.  In the 90s you didn't have much outside of kid's movies and Tarantino flicks.  Things didn't change until "The Matrix" went to theatres in 1999.

As for politics, not an ounce.  9-11 changed so much and the country has gotten more conservative (and divided).  PC is also less lenient of things now than it was in the 90s overall.  Before the mid-90s murder cases and school shootings it seemed that you could talk nonstop about guns and stuff.  Nowadays a granny's not allowed to bring scissors on a plane! Although today's PC rules seemed to be planted by the mid-90s from what I've heard/read in general.  But that's more social than political.

In television, everything's changed.  In the 90s television was about animated sitcoms like the Simpsons and work/friend sitcoms like "Friends", "Seinfeld", and "Fraser".  Reality beyond "The Real World" was almost nonexistant.  Even Cheers was HUGE in the early 90s.  And for kids, family sits like "Full House", "Fresh Prince", and "Family Matters" were in vogue.  Today the only aspects of 90s television are law shows (Blech!  :P ) and animated sitcoms.  You seem to be able to get away with less on mainstream cable and more on secondary cable today too when it comes to explicit stuff.

As I say:

70s: 1973-1980
80s: 1981-1990
90s: 1991-2001
20s: 2002-

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/31/05 at 6:55 am

I've noticed since 9/11 that a lot of Christians have gone Fundie, where the values haven't advanced past the 1950s.
These people have become more touchy about spirituality and have gone far enough to try and ban Harry Potter.

In the 90s music was very diverse. You could hear Alternative, Grunge, Euro/Swedish Dance, R&B, New Age, Teen Pop and Ska (We also heard re-mixed Country during the second half of the 90s) played together on the same playlist on the Top 40 radio stations. Now all we hear on Top 40 is Hip Hop, Rap, R&B, Wuss Rock (Hoobastank, Yellowcard, ect) and Teen Pop. The Classic Rock format is also taking over the radio.

Premium/Extended Basic channels and their risque TV shows (Sex and the City, Queer as Folk, Nip/Tuck, The Shield, ect) have been what people talk about around the water cooler the next morning at work. In the 90s, NBC shows like Frasier, Seinfeld, ER and Friends were THE shows to talk about with your colleagues.

In the 90s, we had the console wars, in the first half of the 90s it was SEGA Genesis vs Nintendo SNES. In the mid 90s it was the Sony Playstation vs Panasonic 3D0 vs Nintendo 64. In the 2000s we have the Microsoft X Box, Sony Playstation 2 and Nintendo Game Cube fighting in the console wars.

In the 90s the  Amiga, Macintosh and various Windows platform systems (Dell, Gateway) were used by many people. Now Amiga and Apple are rarely heard of outside of artistic, graphic and web communities. Apple seems to be known for one thing to today's children... the iPod even though they still make computers. Almost everything is Windows these days. The internet runs best on Windows, ect.  The only time I ever see Macintosh platforms being used might be in middle schools.

Written By: SpaceHog on 01/31/05 at 9:24 am

weatherwise... it's like 1996!

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/31/05 at 3:03 pm

weatherwise... it's like 1996!

In some places it's like 1998.

Written By: Guest on 01/31/05 at 7:33 pm

In Minnesota, it's 1999.  B-Boys (in Backstreet Boiez) rule! :) ;D

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/31/05 at 7:46 pm

By the way, by 1998, I'm talking about all the recent ice storms.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 02/02/05 at 12:07 am

FHF here,

I'd say no part of the 1990s is a lot like 2005.  But if I had to say one time it would be 1999, and maybe 98 and late 97.  Although 2004 seemed to be a alot like 1990 in the sense that there was great 80s influence but by no means a full appreciation of 80s style. 

Today, in 2005 (really since 02 actually), the 90s are almost totally gone.  I mean, sure the 90s aren't uncool yet, but who under 25 has heard of any Grunge act beside the big guys (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and the like)?  I've heard of a few more and I'm 15, but that's just because I'm geek.  ;)

Also, what bands from the 1990s are still around?  Blink are, but they're mostly very late 1990s.  Ditto with Korn and Offspring (although the Offspring had legit success as early as 1994).  Britney doesn't count.  Nor does Eminem. No Doubt are still around, although the 90s were hostile to them so that barely counts.

As for movies, well let's face it: today's movies kick a*s and are in my opinion the best thing about today by far besides technology.  In the 90s you didn't have much outside of kid's movies and Tarantino flicks.  Things didn't change until "The Matrix" went to theatres in 1999.

As for politics, not an ounce.  9-11 changed so much and the country has gotten more conservative (and divided).  PC is also less lenient of things now than it was in the 90s overall.  Before the mid-90s murder cases and school shootings it seemed that you could talk nonstop about guns and stuff.  Nowadays a granny's not allowed to bring scissors on a plane! Although today's PC rules seemed to be planted by the mid-90s from what I've heard/read in general.  But that's more social than political.

In television, everything's changed.  In the 90s television was about animated sitcoms like the Simpsons and work/friend sitcoms like "Friends", "Seinfeld", and "Fraser".  Reality beyond "The Real World" was almost nonexistant.  Even Cheers was HUGE in the early 90s.  And for kids, family sits like "Full House", "Fresh Prince", and "Family Matters" were in vogue.  Today the only aspects of 90s television are law shows (Blech!  :P ) and animated sitcoms.  You seem to be able to get away with less on mainstream cable and more on secondary cable today too when it comes to explicit stuff.

As I say:

Kid, ofcourse you are going to think what you are part of now is the coolest thing ever.  Ofcourse you are going to think "todays movies kick a$$" and nothing before could compare.  And you might be even a bit offended if people keep calling this "the 90s", and you know kids in the future will too because the early and mid 2000s will be easily confused with the 90s.  Now you know how people before you felt when 1994 would be called "the 80s".  And ofcourse you will think you are growing up in the coolest time ever, with the most edge and grit to it.  But the truth is, this will all pass. 

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/02/05 at 2:14 pm

Quote from: Full_House_Fan on January 29, 2005, 10:09:53 PM
FHF here,

Today, in 2005 (really since 02 actually), the 90s are almost totally gone.  I mean, sure the 90s aren't uncool yet, but who under 25 has heard of any Grunge act beside the big guys (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and the like)?  I've heard of a few more and I'm 15, but that's just because I'm geek. 

In television, everything's changed.  In the 90s television was about animated sitcoms like the Simpsons and work/friend sitcoms like "Friends", "Seinfeld", and "Fraser".  Reality beyond "The Real World" was almost nonexistant.  Even Cheers was HUGE in the early 90s.  And for kids, family sits like "Full House", "Fresh Prince", and "Family Matters" were in vogue.  Today the only aspects of 90s television are law shows (Blech!  ) and animated sitcoms.  You seem to be able to get away with less on mainstream cable and more on secondary cable today too when it comes to explicit stuff.

As I say:

Kid, ofcourse you are going to think what you are part of now is the coolest thing ever.  Ofcourse you are going to think "todays movies kick a$$" and nothing before could compare.  And you might be even a bit offended if people keep calling this "the 90s", and you know kids in the future will too because the early and mid 2000s will be easily confused with the 90s.  Now you know how people before you felt when 1994 would be called "the 80s".  And ofcourse you will think you are growing up in the coolest time ever, with the most edge and grit to it.  But the truth is, this will all pass. 

I wouldn't be pissed if someone called 2000 or 01 the 90s, but 2004 or 2005 would be.  Ashlee Simpson and Lil Jon are not 90s artists.

Written By: LadySara87 on 02/02/05 at 4:03 pm

Where I live, everyone is still stuck in 1999! Boy do I miss the 90s.....

Check for new replies or respond here...