inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nineties Nostalgia - Too Early?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 01/31/05 at 1:00 am

Does anybody think it's too early for 90s nostalgia?  I do, but it seems more reasonable every year.  In 2001-2002 when I first saw inthe90s I thought "Is the creator high on crack?" (sorry Chucky)  But the early 90s are truly ready for nostalgia now in 04-05.  But it won't be until 2008 or so that the 90s will be ready as a whole.

Subject: Re: Nineties Nostalgia - Too Early?

Written By: AL-B on 01/31/05 at 1:32 am

It seems like retro fashions and music don't become trendy until they're 20 years old, while things that are only 10 years old are considered kitcshy and passe. I think this trend really started in the early 1970's, because the public was jaded after Vietnam and the Watergate scandal, and they looked back fondly at a more simple and innocent time, the 1950's. Thus the popularity of "Happy Days" (and its spinoff, "Laverne and Shirley"), Sha-Na-Na, "American Graffiti," plus many covers of 50's songs done by artists in the early to mid-70's. In the 80's there was somewhat of a 60's revival, and in the 90's the 70's became hip. Now, I'm not in tune with popular culture as I used to be, but as far as I know the 80's revival hasn't really hit full steam yet.
    I think the reason behind the 20-year retro cycle is that popular culture (music, in particular) is geared towards people in their late teens/early 20's, especially college students.  So when people from that age group see things that are 20 years old, it reminds them of their early childhood, as in, "Wow! I haven't heard that song since I was 6 years old!"
    So I wouldn't expect 1990's trends to really come back for another 10 years.

Written By: eightiesfan on 01/31/05 at 7:28 am

I feel a bit nostalgic for the early 90's these days - I can't believe 1990 was 15 years ago already!

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 01/31/05 at 2:27 pm

I feel a bit nostalgic for the early 90's these days - I can't believe 1990 was 15 years ago already!

Ditto ... though I can't remember the early 90s.  I think the early 90s are nostalgic to some extent now because many things from then are often confused with stuff from the actual 1980s.  I mean "GTA: San Andreas", set in 1992, is more a late 80's-early 90s West Coast setback than a full-off 90s flashback.

Written By: Howard on 01/31/05 at 6:17 pm

Believe that.you aren't getting any younger. ;)

Howard

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/31/05 at 7:52 pm

Believe that.you aren't getting any younger. ;)

Howard

I am! I'm 20! I have a lot of mileage to go on this speedometer!

Written By: Howard on 01/31/05 at 8:00 pm

I am! I'm 20! I have a lot of mileage to go on this speedometer!

I'm gonna be 31 in March Angel.I'm not too far from 40. :P

Howard

Written By: Class of 84 on 01/31/05 at 10:00 pm

I hated the 90's. In the 90's, I wanted to re-live the 80's. In the 00's, I want to re-live the 80's. Heck, in the 70's, I couldn't wait to live the 80's.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/01/05 at 6:18 am

Howard

Howard new picture?  I gotta tell you, you are official eye candy.  Looking goooood!  ::)

Written By: AngeFaitore on 02/01/05 at 6:49 am

Howard

Ange. Not Angel. It's Ange. There's no "L" on there.  ::)
I have the same problem in the Yahoo chat rooms.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/05 at 5:12 pm

Howard new picture?  I gotta tell you, you are official eye candy.  Looking goooood!  ::)

Thank You. :)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 02/01/05 at 5:13 pm

Ange. Not Angel. It's Ange. There's no "L" on there.  ::)
I have the same problem in the Yahoo chat rooms.

Oh I'm sorry Ange.My mistake. ;)

Howard

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 02/02/05 at 12:10 am

Howard

Don't talk that way dude!!!

You are only 1 year older then me!!!  I am 29 and will be 30 later this year, I hate it when people around my age round themselves up so much like that.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/02/05 at 10:03 am

Turing 29 this coming July.  ::)

Written By: McDonald on 02/02/05 at 11:55 am

Same.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/05 at 5:06 pm

Don't talk that way dude!!!

You are only 1 year older then me!!!  I am 29 and will be 30 later this year, I hate it when people around my age round themselves up so much like that.

I'm sorry Chris.Did I upset you in some sort of way? :(

Howard

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/29/10 at 12:39 pm

5 years later...

I think it nineties nostalgia is just around the corner!

Most importantly, I seldomly hear the turn "the '90s suck(ed)" as much!

The second half of the '00s/as well as the 2010 trends so far IMO is what really has made the '90s finally become a distinct, passe time. In early 2005, even though MP3s were hot, CDs were still fairly relevant even if in decline; nowadays, I see the CD as an era where you don't have to gaze at a monitor to enjoy the music.
Autotune as even made hardcore hip-hop fans long for their '90s era as well as the R&B music of that time.

One of the first posts from way back in November 1999 on this board stated that "this past decade did not suck at all where everyone only looked back at 1998 and 1999, while over the rest of the decade that dance music was at the best! (I do miss that Eurodance sound.) It also stated how nearly half of the top 200 movies on a website were released in the '90s."

Written By: superflykid2008 on 05/05/10 at 12:18 am

I think as the 2010s progress, and the 90s kids hit their 20s, 90s nostalgia will began to go into effect. I mean, 80s nostalgia started in the 00s, when the 80s kids were in their 20s, so I see the same happening here in the 2010s

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 05/16/10 at 3:45 am

ITS NOT EARLY NOW... ITS A PERFECT TIME

I MISS THE YEAR 1999 ALREADY!!!! haha the world was such a nice place back then... lol though i was only 5....

Check for new replies or respond here...