inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: was voltron religious?

Written By: SpaceHog on 02/02/05 at 9:04 am

I remember watching an episode of voltron, and they said "God created us to be equal." So that begs my question, Is Voltron religious?

Subject: Re: was voltron religious?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/02/05 at 9:58 am

Not sure.....  :-\\

Written By: La Roche on 11/26/06 at 5:51 pm

I remember watching an episode of voltron, and they said "God created us to be equal." So that begs my question, Is Voltron religious?

Well, this brings up the same argument as the pledge of allegiance doesn't it.

Written By: whistledog on 11/26/06 at 6:24 pm

Voltron religious?  Apart from watching that show religiously, I would say no  ;D

Written By: DJ Midas on 11/27/06 at 10:58 pm

Voltron religious?  Apart from watching that show religiously, I would say no  ;D

*snort* My brother watched Voltron religiously too.  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/27/06 at 11:52 pm

Why is voltron being discussed in the 90s?

Written By: Davester on 11/28/06 at 3:04 am

Watched a little Voltron back then (we talking about the same Voltron..?)

Wasn't Voltron a large, articulated machine assembled from several smaller machines and incapable of independent thought..?

It's been awhile since I've seen it...

Written By: whistledog on 11/28/06 at 3:13 am

That's probably when SpaceHog watched it (reruns) ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/28/06 at 10:38 am

Wasn't Voltron a large, articulated machine assembled from several smaller machines and incapable of independent thought..?

It's been awhile since I've seen it...

Yes, but God created him.

Written By: Davester on 11/28/06 at 1:36 pm

Yes, but God created him.

"Where are you going..?

Why don't you walk the wheel with us..?

What is the matter my American friend?  What has upset you?  Oh!  I know...

The bad machine doesn't know that he's a bad machine.  You still don't believe it.  You still don't believe you're a bad machine?  To know yourself is to know God, my friend.  The factory knows, that's why they put you here... 

You'll see...  You'll find out... In time, you'll know...."

~Midnight Express

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/28/06 at 10:03 pm

On the eighth day.... God created a giant robot.... And it was good.  ::)  ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 11/29/06 at 9:22 am

That was one of them, mostly associated with Voltron II.  The original Voltron was actually composed of 5 robot lions.

And actually, a lot of Japanese cartoons had religious undertones in them.  I even remember seeing one when I was in Japan where the core characters worked with the "Seven Gods Of Luck".  And it would not be to unusual to see Christian Priests, Nuns, Buddist and Shinto Monks, and other beings (deamons, devils, saints) mixed in in one way or another. 

The "GoLion" Voltron was actually created by an Angel, from the wreckage of the "Vehicle Voltron".  And it was semi-sentient, with the goals of protecting life, and searching for a "soul".

When these shows (and others) were imported to the US, every attempt was made to scrub any "religious" connections.  Demons became monsters, Angels became "good witches", and the like.  God was either totally eliminated, or converted into an "unknown powerfull alien".

I guess because a lot of the younger ones in here do not know when the shows really came out.  The most iconic of the Voltron shows all date from the early 1980's.  They were among the first of the "New Wave" of anime that came out of Japan.  RoboTech, Voltron, and Thunder Cats ushured in a new trend towards "intelligent cartoons".

Check for new replies or respond here...