inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: when did you first get cable or satalite in the 90s?

Written By: kidofthe90s88 on 02/05/05 at 4:04 pm

I'm just curious to see what year in the 90s you guys got cable or satalite. Believe it or not, I've never had cable or satalie. My parents are at fault for that. We have plenty of money its just that my parents claim that we don't need cable or satalie. I totally disagree. All these years, I've missed out on MTV shows, etc. I hear my friends talking about the shows they get to see and I feel crushed.. Enough of my complaining..
-Hannah

Subject: Re: when did you first get cable or satalite in the 90s?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/05/05 at 4:15 pm

my family first got cable in '84. my father switched over to satellite in '99.

Written By: kidofthe90s88 on 02/05/05 at 4:28 pm

cool.  ;)

I'll just hafta wait till I move out till I can get satalite or cable.. unless I can convince my parents overwise.
-Hannah

Written By: whitewolf on 02/05/05 at 4:51 pm

I first got cable in 96, switched to satelite last year, but if there was a storm the signal went out, or if there were heavy winds i had to get it reset, so i went back to cable.

Written By: Paul on 02/05/05 at 4:58 pm

I've never had it (and probably never will)...never quite seen the attraction of it...

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/05/05 at 5:03 pm

Well we first got Cable somewhere around 1991, then we changed to Satellite in 1996.

Written By: Howard on 02/05/05 at 7:35 pm

I think it was about 1997-1998.then years later went with Roadrunner DSL.

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/05/05 at 7:52 pm

My family got cable in the late summer of 1989, actually.

Tanya

Written By: AngeFaitore on 02/06/05 at 8:12 am

I suppose that my mother got cable in either 1987 or 1988, so I've seen cable for most of my life.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/06/05 at 10:33 am

Mid 90's.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/06/05 at 7:32 pm

Had cable since the early 80's.

Written By: Howard on 02/07/05 at 5:00 pm

I've had cable since July of 1987.

Howard

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/07/05 at 5:35 pm

Connected: October 2003
Disconnected: November 2003
Reason: Unless you're a major sports, news or documentary fan, cable is a huge waste of money over here.

Written By: eightiesfan on 02/10/05 at 8:15 am

I've had cable since 1994 - I've thought about getting digital cable as well just so I could watch VH1 Classics.  :)

Written By: kidofthe90s88 on 02/10/05 at 3:34 pm

Wow. Lots of you got cable in the '90s. I didn't really expect many people to answer and lots of you did!  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/10/05 at 5:41 pm

I had cable since 1983 and into the 90's...then in 1999 I switched to Dish Network. I really don't like our local channels here in Colorado Springs but thought I was stuck with them...until I came up with a plan. My sister lives 20 miles west of me up in Divide...near where the Hayman fire was (fortunately her and her family, house escaped without damage). Since she can't get local channels here over the air I told Dish that I lived up there. For only $5 per city...up to 3 of my choice, I was able to recieve ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox from those cities. I chose Denver, Chicago and New York City. It was great until 2003 when I went through my divorce and sold my family home of 15 years. Back to cable :-\\

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/13/05 at 8:52 pm

Wow. Lots of you got cable in the '90s. I didn't really expect many people to answer and lots of you did! ;D

Cable,which was then known as CATV(Community Access TV)came to Atlantic City NJ in 1965...and was just Philly(VHF and UHF)and New York City(WPIX and WNEW)..it was HUGE to us because it was the ONLY way to get a decent broadcast signal down in this area...and that was HUGE to those of us who had another BIG TV improvement....COLOR TV sets..especially since all three networks had just went 'all color'.

I wish you could have seen the ORIGINAL NBC Peacock,meant a lot to me as a kid,just as cable means a lot to you...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/13/05 at 8:54 pm

Cable,which was then known as CATV(Community Access TV)came to Atlantic City NJ in 1965...and was just Philly(VHF and UHF)and New York City(WPIX and WNEW)..it was HUGE to us because it was the ONLY way to get a decent broadcast signal down in this area...and that was HUGE to those of us who had another BIG TV improvement....COLOR TV sets..especially since all three networks had just went 'all color'.

I wish you could have seen the ORIGINAL NBC Peacock,meant a lot to me as a kid,just as cable means a lot to you...
We got cable as it is today in 1980.

Written By: Albert on 04/21/05 at 6:22 am

I got satellite in '94 or '95.

Written By: DevoRule on 04/21/05 at 7:39 pm

Probably cable my whole life ... I remember having it installed back in '96 after not having for awhile ... just got Satellite a few days ago before we had digital cable from about 01 or 02.

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/23/05 at 12:18 am

I first got boring cable in 90, I just went digital in 2003.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/23/05 at 4:04 pm

..I have neither sat. or cable, surviving with 4 /FOUR! poxy stations, and bad reception to boot - BAH !!  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/05 at 4:26 pm

..I have neither sat. or cable, surviving with 4 /FOUR! poxy stations, and bad reception to boot - BAH !!   :(
Not to mention Channel 5?

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/23/05 at 5:25 pm

:D  exactly

not that there's much on it anyways.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/05 at 5:28 pm

When we first had our cable or satalite in the 90s, it around about the time when REM's Losing My Religion and Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You were continually played on the music channels.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/23/05 at 5:31 pm

Oh well there's a treat for you  ::)...my God that WH record is nearly as bad as Gloria Gaynor's IAWIA,

add in Everything I Do -  Bryan Adams as another piece of vastly overplayed dirge.

Written By: Carrie on 04/24/05 at 4:42 pm

Same here.

Written By: ThaSlickerNick on 04/24/05 at 6:53 pm

Well my grandma, had cable before I was born. She said she had cable since it first came into my town in like 1983 or something, so I always grew up with cable. I used to watch the old Nickelodeon and I remember, you had to order Disney, in order to get it. Then in 1999 we got Sattlelite, but my grandma didnt like it, so she got Digital cable. Then she died and i moved wit my dad, who livd in country and couldnt get cable so we had Direct TV, *sighs* then he died and I moved with my mom, now, which we have Digital Cable!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/25/05 at 2:13 am

When we first had our cable or satalite in the 90s, it around about the time when REM's Losing My Religion and Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You were continually played on the music channels.

Oh well there's a treat for you ::)...my God that WH record is nearly as bad as Gloria Gaynor's IAWIA,

add in Everything I Do - Bryan Adams as another piece of vastly overplayed dirge.
Please do not mention Bryan Adams...

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/25/05 at 4:13 am

Apart from 'Summer of '69' ... Bryan Adams the musician does not exist *shudder*

Check for new replies or respond here...