inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Remember Dr Kevorkian?

Written By: eightiesfan on 02/10/05 at 8:35 am

Anyone remember all the controversy surrounding Dr Jack Kevorkian in the mid-90's? 

In your opinion, was he committing murder as the law insisted when he performed these mercy deaths on his terminally ill patients, or was he just trying to help these people end their misery?  I'm a bit undecided on it myself.

Subject: Re: Remember Dr Kevorkian?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/10/05 at 9:20 am

I remember, is he still around?

Written By: AL-B on 02/10/05 at 11:16 am

Anyone remember all the controversy surrounding Dr Jack Kevorkian in the mid-90's? 

In your opinion, was he committing murder as the law insisted when he performed these mercy deaths on his terminally ill patients, or was he just trying to help these people end their misery?  I'm a bit undecided on it myself.

It is a bit confusing. All throughout Dr. Kevorkian's medical career, even back to his days as a young intern, he has had a fascination and obsession with death, or more specifically, the physiological changes that the human body goes through at the instant of death. It is quite possible, then, that he found a source of willing test subjects in terminally ill people who wanted to end their own lives. I don't think that Jack Kevorkian is the mad-dog killer that some people make him out to be. But whenever I would see him interviewed on TV I couldn't help but think that he wasn't quite all there. Perhaps he indeed felt compassion for people with terminal illnesses who were suffering excruciating pain while they were waiting to die, and maybe he genuinely wanted to help them. But I can't help but think that there was more to it than that.
I remember, is he still around?
I believe he is serving life in prison.

Written By: nally on 02/10/05 at 11:24 am

I sorta remember hearing about him. :-\\

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/10/05 at 11:40 am

Yea, I remember hearing a lot about him on the news.

Written By: gord on 02/10/05 at 12:18 pm

For sure I remember, couldn't forget a name like Dr. Kevorkian. As for the moral issue I'm kind of on the fence.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/05 at 2:27 pm

He was the one who gave euthanasia to his patients.

Howard

Written By: Harmonica on 02/10/05 at 3:58 pm

Their's been specials on TV about him. For some odd reason the "Burbs" always reminded me of him. But to be honest from interviews with him and other people, I got the impression that he was trying to end the people's pain, however TV can be very influential and not give it all.

Written By: 80s Lady on 02/10/05 at 4:18 pm

Yes, he's in prison.  No, in my opinion he never "killed" anyone.  He provided the safe and effective means, but as far as I know, in all of the cases the ill person actually took the steps required to end their life, whether it was putting on the mask with the carbon monoxide or pressing the button to administer the drug concoction.

After watching my grandmother suffer with Alzheimer's for over 10 years and the havoc that it wreaked on her mind and body, knowing that she would NEVER have wanted to end up a vegetable and completely dependent on someone else (or machines) for every thing as well as every bodily function; I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that if I am ever faced with a decision such as this for myself, I would choose to die in the care of a Physician, my family by my side and with my dignity in tact.

The alternative scares me.  There was a very elderly, ailing, lonely man here recently who tried to put an end to his pain and suffering.  He is now a very elderly, ailing, lonely, faceless (and I mean that LITERALLY) man in the hospital, alive yes, living, no!!

Written By: neebs25 on 02/11/05 at 11:30 am

yes, I remember him.  Their was a ton of publicity about him around here cause I'm from the same town.  He was known as Doctor Death.  I don't see any wrong in his doings if those people were suffering.

Check for new replies or respond here...