inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I'm NOT looking forward to nineties nostalgia

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/10/05 at 10:54 pm

Although I've said the 90s are long gone, I don't want them back.  They're still kinda recent and the late 90s feel didn't leave until 2003.  late 1991-early 1997 (the real 90s) are very different from now, but I don't want a comeback anytime soon.  I want the 2010s to be a unique decade, not a copy of another (all late 20th century decades imo are unique and NOT returns of a decade). 

If there is a 90s comeback soon, I hope the the real 90s, not the dumb, South Park esque late 90s (late 97 - Sept 11, 2001, holdovers to 2003).  But I hope 80s influence sticks around longer.

Subject: Re: I'm NOT looking forward to nineties nostalgia

Written By: AL-B on 02/11/05 at 12:08 am

All I can tell you is, live for today, brother. Make the 2000's what YOU want them to be. :)

Written By: Howard on 02/11/05 at 3:19 pm

All I can tell you is, live for today, brother. Make the 2000's what YOU want them to be. :)

Amen! ;)

Howard

Written By: Layce on 02/11/05 at 7:17 pm

I want the 2010s to be a unique decade, not a copy of another 

My thought exactly. I do not understand this whole bringing back the eras idea. It's only going to confuse people in the future. I can hear them now.."wait huh, was that in the 80s or the 80s in the 2000s? Maybe it's from the 60s in the 90s, and the 50s came back in the 80s" 

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/11/05 at 9:12 pm

My thought exactly. I do not understand this whole bringing back the eras idea. It's only going to confuse people in the future. I can hear them now.."wait huh, was that in the 80s or the 80s in the 2000s? Maybe it's from the 60s in the 90s, and the 50s came back in the 80s" 

In my opinion too, bringing a decade back has never happened, although the 1990s were a hell of a lot like the 1970s.  The 2000s aren't a clone of the 80s, despite similarities. 

And I'm tired of people saying it's still the 90s.  It's 2005 now, not 2001.  The "ah there is no 2000s decade.  It's the nineties." attitude became obsolete in 2003 or even a bit earlier.  I admit I felt that way until the end of 2003 or so.  But the nineties are gone, and the "real 90s" I remember only vaguely finished in 1997. 

To those who this today is "Part Deux", I ask this: A lot of people on the site get pissed when someone calls something from the early 90s eighties, which I've only recently come to understand.  Well I ask those who think today is the 90s this: You would probably never say a kid born in '91 was born in the 80s.  Well, let's say it's 2015 and some 12-year old born in 2002 asks if 2002 was still the 90s (I'm talking culture here, of COURSE the nineties really ended on 12/31/99 11:59:59). Would you say "Yeah 2002 is the nineties, but 1991 was NOT the 80s."?

I think the 90s and 2000s are about as different than the 60s and 70s were to each other, perhaps even a bit more.  I mean future gens will most likely group them together out of ignorance and part-truth, but will still acknowledge some differences (i.e. 60s had hippies, 70s had disco) but anyone who remembers both decades with detail will know the difference.  Would anyone agree?

Written By: Layce on 02/11/05 at 10:53 pm

It's not really an era actually coming back, like the years and the events and all that jazz......

ah skip it, nevermind :(

I guess it's a play of words really. "HEY THE 90S ARE BACK". We can't take it too seriously.  :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/12/05 at 2:56 am

<<terrible song lyrics were here>>

- In other words, live for today. Make the 2000's what YOU want them to be.

(my apologies for referencing to that song...)

Written By: Joel Welden-Smith on 02/12/05 at 6:26 pm

I don't know why you say the nineties was similar to the seventies. There was some seventies influence (That 70's show, return of Bell Bottoms and platforms, and techno that sounds alot like disco). I feel the first half of the ninties was very different from the later half. I also agree that the real nineties was 90 to 97. Around 96 or 97 the culture started changing alot. The late nineties introduced boy bands, girls groups, britney spears and clones, and Nu-metal.

The early to mid-nineties had a lot of eighties in it. From 1990 to 95 we had: many popular eighties shows (like Cosby, Cheers, Growing Pains, etc.) that lasted into the first half of the nineties; looking at my yearbook from 93 all the kids with glasses wore those dorky looking things with the huge frames; cheesy cheesy fashion, a holdover from the eighties (possibly even cheesier than the eighties); the 8bit nintendo was still very popular; cheesy pop like Mc Hammer, Milli Vanilli, Technotronic, C + C Music Factory, etc etc etc; and even if you watch any telivision you taped from the early nineties you'll notice the production value is very similar to the eighties, it's like night and day comparing it to what telivision has looked like the last seven or eight years (sound effects, special effects, image quality, overall production value).   

http://image34.webshots.com/35/4/0/56/271940056uVOAUj_ph.jpg

http://image34.webshots.com/35/3/99/57/271939957XgYhMy_ph.jpg

http://image30.webshots.com/31/8/15/36/256181536sKkgFI_ph.jpg

http://image32.webshots.com/33/3/5/72/271930572PqaFIp_ph.jpg

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/12/05 at 9:01 pm

I don't know why you say the nineties was similar to the seventies. There was some seventies influence (That 70's show, return of Bell Bottoms and platforms, and techno that sounds alot like disco). I feel the first half of the ninties was very different from the later half. I also agree that the real nineties was 90 to 97. Around 96 or 97 the culture started changing alot. The late nineties introduced boy bands, girls groups, britney spears and clones, and Nu-metal.

The early to mid-nineties had a lot of eighties in it. From 1990 to 95 we had: many popular eighties shows (like Cosby, Cheers, Growing Pains, etc.) that lasted into the first half of the nineties; looking at my yearbook from 93 all the kids with glasses wore those dorky looking things with the huge frames; cheesy cheesy fashion, a holdover from the eighties (possibly even cheesier than the eighties); the 8bit nintendo was still very popular; cheesy pop like Mc Hammer, Milli Vanilli, Technotronic, C + C Music Factory, etc etc etc; and even if you watch any telivision you taped from the early nineties you'll notice the production value is very similar to the eighties, it's like night and day comparing it to what telivision has looked like the last seven or eight years (sound effects, special effects, image quality, overall production value).

http://image34.webshots.com/35/4/0/56/271940056uVOAUj_ph.jpg

http://image34.webshots.com/35/3/99/57/271939957XgYhMy_ph.jpg

http://image30.webshots.com/31/8/15/36/256181536sKkgFI_ph.jpg

http://image32.webshots.com/33/3/5/72/271930572PqaFIp_ph.jpg

First of all, Joel, join us! :)  Secondly the pics didn't work, but I do believe you.  Thirdly, I agree with what you say.  But the 1990s (well after 1991-92 anyways) had a seventies liberal attitude that was lenient and probably came out of the failure of Bush Sr.  I guess people simply got tired of Reagan's posse by the early 1990s.  Also, dance music was popular from 1990 all the way to 1999 really.

Joel Welden-Smith, I think 1990-1999 can be broken into three distinct periods, along with a couple subperiods:

1990 and early 1991 were pretty much still the late eighties.  This time period, at least musically, is cheesier than pretty much any part of the actual eighties (although 1982-1984 is very very campy). Grunge is present but not quite a mainstream act yet, and the established New Wavers made some hits.  Not to mention there were plenty of Hair Metal one-hit-wonders even up to 1992.  Probably the most popular acts of 1990 were MC Hammer, New Kids on the Block (more 1989 than 90 but still very present in 90), Paula Abdul (ditto the New Kids), and Vanilla Ice, which all have a cheesy late eighties vibe to them.  The only popular artist from 1990 that really full-fledged 90s is Mariah Carey, although Garth Brooks was getting popular too.

Late 1991 to early 1994 still had some eighties influence but was 100% nineties in pretty much every way.  More 90s probably then any other part of the decade.  Grunge, Nirvana, gangsta rap, Old School/underground, Boys in the Hood, Clinton election, you name it, it was very very real 1990s.  Some eighties bands hit it in this time, in fact really up to 1997.  But by no means were the 80s "cool".

Late 1994 to early 1997 shook off any eighties influence with the OJ trial.  Although technology was still more the 80s than today probably then.  By then Backstreet Boys, South Park, and Eminem weren't around, so it was very unlike the the 2000s still and had a legit nineties vibe still.  But it was in decline.  The lifestyle was still kinda eighties, but fashion and culture won't.

Late 1997 through 1999 and up to the 9/11 attacks in 2001 was a stage of nineties, but it was late nineties and was in many ways really more a precursor to the 00s. I guess this would be the "Millennium" period, wheras 2002/2003 and up is Post-Millennium.  Boy bands and girl groups ruled the charts, Limp Bizkit and Korn introduced us to Numetal which WAS rock up to about 2003, movies became obsessed with special effects (The Matrix, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, to name a couple) and cg animation became popular (Monsters, Inc, Toy Story 2, Shrek).  Also Japanimation replaced Nickelodeon for the prime source of perverse kid shows, and fad toys (Pokemon, Tamagotchi, Furbies, Beanie Babies) were very big, esp. around 1998 and 1999.  It was almost a rival of the very late 80s/very early 90s IN SOME WAYS.

Today isn't any period of 1990s culture; the 2000s are their own animal now.

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/10/11 at 10:53 am

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i0Xwdsodwk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i0Xwdsodwk

Sure, I love diners, but when did Internet ads become "cool vintage?"

ANYTHING from the Internet just doesn't have the same effect as stuff before it's inovation (though it may change over time). But let's face it, as technology marches on, more and more stuff from what seemingly looked modern will become "retro cool". You'll just have to dig a little deeper for "your era" as time marches on.

Written By: nicole1977 on 03/10/11 at 7:30 pm

I fee nostaligic of the early to mid 90s the most because I was a teenager in the early 90s.

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/10/11 at 8:12 pm

I hope that the 2010s focuses more on creating unique styles respective to the decade rather than recycling a bunch of old ones. There was too much of that in the 2000s, so much so that it felt to me like 1980s 2.0.  :P

Written By: RG1995 on 03/10/11 at 8:27 pm

By 90's nostalgia, it means that movies and TV shows about the 90's will become popular. Grunge(the real one) will have a renewed interest just like how New Wave did in the previous decade. It doesn't mean the 90's are full on coming back

Written By: ProfS on 03/12/11 at 4:31 pm

There will be 90s nostalgia, but I think we are going to be a new decade soon. The kicker will be if reality TV declines. Thankfully, we are seeing a small return to sitcoms that we didn't have much of in the 00s.

Check for new replies or respond here...