inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Growing up in the 90s...

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/13/05 at 10:08 am

Being born in 1986 I basically grew up in the 90s. Although it is hardly long enough ago to attach any nostalgia, it brings back many fond memories. My memories of the 90s include watching such TV shows as Power Rangers, Playschool, Fireman Sam, playing with Mighty Max toys, yoyos and reading Goosebumps. I'm just wondering, for those who were just kids in that decade what movies, toys, etc. do you most remember/miss? For me it must be the joy of spending hours playing uncomplicated games on my SNES, Mario, Donkey Kong to name a few. But anyway, just wondering...

Subject: Re: Growing up in the 90s...

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/13/05 at 6:40 pm

I enjoyed it on the whole :)  Occasionally I'd be disturbed by gore on TV, books, or movies but most of that wasn't even propagated by the 90s (Monty Python disturbed me before I was old enough to realize how funny it it was and the books weren't pop culture related but rather science books).  Cartoons sucked but seemed good at the time (although in the late 90s I never liked Japanimation).  I was born in Jan '90 so I remember from '93 up, but only '95/'96 up with clarity.  The music, well I didn't listen to current stuff at all until 1999.

It wasn't that long ago, but the early 90s were quite a while ago.  I mean 1992 was 13 years ago!  I feel nostalgic about the first 2/3 of the decade.

Written By: jwsisliving1 on 02/14/05 at 4:48 am

Uhh, cartoons sucked??? I was born in 83 and lucky enough to grow up on the cartoons of the eighties and nineties. Some classic cartoons I watched in the nineties: the Tick 1994-97; Taz-Mania 1991-93; Eek! the Cat 1992-97; the Critic 1994-95; Goof Troop 1992-93; Garfield and Friends 1988-94; Animaniacs 1993-98; Tiny Toon Adventures 1990-92; Aeon Flux 1995; Beetlejuice 1989-91; Rocko's Modern Life 1993-96; the Maxx 1995; Ren and Stimpy 1991-95; Darkwing Duck 1991-95; Tail Spin 1990-94; Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers 1989-92; Bonkers 1993-94 (I enjoyed it); the Real Ghostbusters 1988-90; and Bobby's World was a good show for kids.

Also the nineties gave us the Simpsons, Beavis & Butthead, X-men, King of the Hill, and South Park (which was pretty funny for the first two season but then became really really stupid).

Also twentysomethings may remember some of these obscure, long forgotten cartoons: Camp Candy 1989; Wish Kid 1991; Bebe's Kids 1992, actually a movie but it was funny and I watched it alot; New Kids On the Block 1990; etc. I'm forgetting alot more. It will never be the same for kids.

The golden age of cartoons died in the late nineties, around the emergence of anime/Pokemon. Nickelodeon is dead, to me and many many others who were the first viewers and made the Nickelodeon name. The Disney Channel is dead and so are saturday morning cartoons. Name me any cartoons nowadays that are worth a damn. Nobody cares excepts the young kids now growing up who have never known any better. Quick, stupid, generic, and designed for a generation of youngsters with short attention spans, immaturity, and fickle tastes.

They have grown up to and expect violence, cynicism, political correctness, and a total cheapening of popular culture (reality shows, Bubblegum pop, teen queens, Jackass, Tom Green, Eurotrip and all the other gross teen comedies, Nu Metal, Horrible movie remakes, tv shows turned into movies, video games turned into movies, every rapper going into movies, Vin Diesel, too many racing movies, Destinies Child and all those like them, Jlo and P Diddy, and the popularity of Spongebob and Lizzie McGuire).

Written By: McDonald on 02/14/05 at 1:04 pm

Also the nineties gave us the Simpsons

For all practical purposes you are right, but technically the Simpsons debuted in December of 89.

You and I share a LOT of opinions about today's pop culture. Especially re: Cartoons, Movies, and Vin Diesel.

Written By: mr.smith s on 02/14/05 at 2:00 pm

What I remember about the 90's I was 9 in 1990.  I rember being hardcore into comics and then it shortly died a year or 2 after.  Image comics had just started in 91 (or 90)  I remember how movies were into making blockbusters with 3d effects that made people wow  T2, Jurrasic Park (89 was the Abyss)

Musically I was all about the Grunge, but then again most people were as well.  I wante to make my own grunge band,failed. Called it some cheesy name like "One Angry Blueberry". 

That's pretty much it.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/14/05 at 2:04 pm

Uhh, cartoons sucked??? I was born in 83 and lucky enough to grow up on the cartoons of the eighties and nineties. Some classic cartoons I watched in the nineties: the Tick 1994-97; Taz-Mania 1991-93; Eek! the Cat 1992-97; the Critic 1994-95; Goof Troop 1992-93; Garfield and Friends 1988-94; Animaniacs 1993-98; Tiny Toon Adventures 1990-92; Aeon Flux 1995; Beetlejuice 1989-91; Rocko's Modern Life 1993-96; the Maxx 1995; Ren and Stimpy 1991-95; Darkwing Duck 1991-95; Tail Spin 1990-94; Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers 1989-92; Bonkers 1993-94 (I enjoyed it); the Real Ghostbusters 1988-90; and Bobby's World was a good show for kids.

Also the nineties gave us the Simpsons, Beavis & Butthead, X-men, King of the Hill, and South Park (which was pretty funny for the first two season but then became really really stupid).

Also twentysomethings may remember some of these obscure, long forgotten cartoons: Camp Candy 1989; Wish Kid 1991; Bebe's Kids 1992, actually a movie but it was funny and I watched it alot; New Kids On the Block 1990; etc. I'm forgetting alot more. It will never be the same for kids.

The golden age of cartoons died in the late nineties, around the emergence of anime/Pokemon. Nickelodeon is dead, to me and many many others who were the first viewers and made the Nickelodeon name. The Disney Channel is dead and so are saturday morning cartoons. Name me any cartoons nowadays that are worth a darn. Nobody cares excepts the young kids now growing up who have never known any better. Quick, stupid, generic, and designed for a generation of youngsters with short attention spans, immaturity, and fickle tastes.

They have grown up to and expect violence, cynicism, political correctness, and a total cheapening of popular culture (reality shows, Bubblegum pop, teen queens, Jackass, Tom Green, Eurotrip and all the other gross teen comedies, Nu Metal, Horrible movie remakes, tv shows turned into movies, video games turned into movies, every rapper going into movies, Vin Diesel, too many racing movies, Destinies Child and all those like them, Jlo and P Diddy, and the popularity of Spongebob and Lizzie McGuire).

Everytime I turn on Nickelodeon nowadays, It's so bad it makes me sick. Same goes for Disney. All the good stuff is gone, oh well. I remember most of those great cartoons. In the early 90s I was just a little pre-school kid. I can remember liking overalls and I remember having one those fanny packs. I remember those little troll dolls were all over the place. Bright colors were the thing, lime green, sky blue, etc. I played with toy cars and have a big collection of baseball cards, going from about 92-95. I also had a SNES and I remember 3 games, Mario Paint, Super Mario World, and some jet flying game but I forget the title. I got my first computer in 1993, and I used to love those interactive living books things. I remember my whole family gathering around the computer watching one, they were awed by how you could interact with the story. By the mid-90s I was in to pogs, video games, and my computer. I got the internet in 1995. It was like this new world to me. I also like taking movies with my camcorder, which my parents bought me in 1995. I have movies I've taken going back to 1996. I used to be in to baseball because the indians were so good in the 90s, they are horrible now. I went to game 3 of the 1997 world series, it was a great experience. I also visited Alaska in 1997. Overall I think the '90s were great, things started going downhill around 1998 though.

Written By: jwsisliving1 on 02/14/05 at 4:21 pm

bbigd04, your childhood sounds alot like mine. I remember wearing fanny packs. The fashion of the day was: flower prints, bright mismatched colors, stripes and polkadots, ugly looking sweatpants, jean jackets, flannel (some guys looked a lot like Al from Home Improvement), tank tops, slip ons, the Vanilli Ice look, leopard skin pants, color changing sweatshirts, and wearing your shirt or jacket tied around your waist.

I remember watching with my mom the Bluejays win back to back World Series in 92 and 93. She wasn't a sports fan, but unlike me she was born in Canada and so we had to root for Canada's team. I was born in Phoenix so my greatest sports memory was watching Barkley and the Suns take on Jordan and the Bulls in the 1993 Finals.

At my school we loved to play with the Interactive Living Books. Cd-roms were very new, and most of the computers at the school were the old Macs that used those huge black floppies and had few colors. The title I most remember was the Living Book called Arthur's Teacher Trouble, where had to get ready to represent his school in a spellathon. I found out that alot of these living books that we grew up on are still being made and put out. Can't today kids have their own thing, do they have to steal something that is ours.

Yeah pogs, that was a short lived fad.

By the way my photo album is at http://community.webshots.com/user/jwsisliving1

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/14/05 at 4:44 pm

The golden age of cartoons died in the late nineties, around the emergence of anime/Pokemon. Nickelodeon is dead, to me and many many others who were the first viewers and made the Nickelodeon name. The Disney Channel is dead and so are saturday morning cartoons. Name me any cartoons nowadays that are worth a darn. Nobody cares excepts the young kids now growing up who have never known any better. Quick, stupid, generic, and designed for a generation of youngsters with short attention spans, immaturity, and fickle tastes.

The cartoons sucked because they were so darn gross!  well the nick ones were but I like then in a nostalgic way :)  Other cartoons are less gross than new ones.  South Park is very funny but it disgusting and I try no to watch it (besides its more of a 2000s show).  Simpsons ruled but is lame now.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/14/05 at 7:38 pm

bbigd04, your childhood sounds alot like mine. I remember wearing fanny packs. The fashion of the day was: flower prints, bright mismatched colors, stripes and polkadots, ugly looking sweatpants, jean jackets, flannel (some guys looked a lot like Al from Home Improvement), tank tops, slip ons, the Vanilli Ice look, leopard skin pants, color changing sweatshirts, and wearing your shirt or jacket tied around your waist.

I remember watching with my mom the Bluejays win back to back World Series in 92 and 93. She wasn't a sports fan, but unlike me she was born in Canada and so we had to root for Canada's team. I was born in Phoenix so my greatest sports memory was watching Barkley and the Suns take on Jordan and the Bulls in the 1993 Finals.

At my school we loved to play with the Interactive Living Books. Cd-roms were very new, and most of the computers at the school were the old Macs that used those huge black floppies and had few colors. The title I most remember was the Living Book called Arthur's Teacher Trouble, where had to get ready to represent his school in a spellathon. I found out that alot of these living books that we grew up on are still being made and put out. Can't today kids have their own thing, do they have to steal something that is ours.

Yeah pogs, that was a short lived fad.

By the way my photo album is at http://community.webshots.com/user/jwsisliving1

Ya, the old apple IIgs's we had at school. I remember playing oregon trail and making card on print shop on them. Oh yea I remember that living book. I didn't get in to baseball until the 1995 series, it was huge here in Cleveland, so was '97.

Written By: Brendan1986 on 02/15/05 at 5:30 pm

Yeah I remember all of that stuff. I don't remember anything before 1989, but I do remember all of the 90's. My mom used to dress me in these pink and orange button up shirts with different brightly colored shapes on them. I also had alot of frize in my hair which was VERY 80's looking. My jeans were pretty much all the same too. Allways highwaters and tight. Most of them were light blue jeans and sweatpants. EWWW. I feel like gouging my eyes out.

Anyway the first TV show I really started watching alot was You Can't Do That on Television, then Clarrisa Explains it All, but my favorite was The Super Mario Brothers Super show. I'm 18 now and going to high school, Gosh sometimes I wish things were the same again, but then again those were tough years for me and my family. Everything has gone downhill from there. Fashion, style and everything. I just think America is too bland now adays. Music nor Movies excite me anymore like they did when I was a kid. Hopefully that will change.

Written By: minksy on 02/15/05 at 10:26 pm

Ha ha! I hated those sunflower prints, on the long skirts. It was so ugly.

I still have a catalog from an old department store, from 1994. I can't get rid of it LOL. It shows various guys posing with flannel shirts on, and some girls wearing really ugly jackets. It's classic! It also shows some cassette players on sale and everything, there were no DVDs. It is so funny I wish you all could see it.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/15/05 at 10:29 pm

Ha ha! I hated those sunflower prints, on the long skirts. It was so ugly.

I still have a catalog from an old department store, from 1994. I can't get rid of it LOL. It shows various guys posing with flannel shirts on, and some girls wearing really ugly jackets. It's classic! It also shows some cassette players on sale and everything, there were no DVDs. It is so funny I wish you all could see it.

Of course there were no DVDs, DVDs are still pretty new. DVDs really didn't get big until about 1999. They did use to have laserdiscs, which were really big like a record, but also pretty expensive compared to tapes, but there were only a few of them in the stores. Casette players were a lot more common, because portable CD players used to be a couple hundred bucks, now you can get one for 10.

Written By: minksy on 02/15/05 at 10:41 pm

Of course there were no DVDs, DVDs are still pretty new. DVDs really didn't get big until about 1999. They did use to have laserdiscs, which were really big like a record, but also pretty expensive compared to tapes, but there were only a few of them in the stores. Casette players were a lot more common, because portable CD players used to be a couple hundred bucks, now you can get one for 10.

Yea exactly! Oh my gosh it's so funny. I will try scanning it for you all sometime, you have to see it.

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/15/05 at 11:41 pm

I read Goosebumps. I used to watch X-Men and Spiderman on Fox(saturday morning cartoons), and Batman: The Animated Series on Cartoon Network during weekday afternoons. I also loved Nickalodean, shows like Salure your shorts, Rocko's modern life, Rugrats, Are you afraid of the dark?, Clarissa, etc. They were all awesome shows back then, Nick is a pile of cripe now imo. Also TV Land didn't come around until the late 90s so I remember the old Nick@Nite when it was REAL classic TV. Shows like Mary Tyler Moore, I Love Lucy, I dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Guess Smart etc.

I owned both the SNES and Genesis, then both PSone and N64. The SNES and Genesis years were the best though. That rivalry produced a plethora of classic, fun, simple, yet challenging games. It was a GAMER's market back then, before gaming has become so mainstream like it is now, and they are getting more and more like movies. More effects and graphics, less quality gameplay. Thats my opinion anyway.

I remember when I was a kid arcades were still around, but sadly they are almost completely gone now. The arcade at the mall rocked. I remember Mortal Kombat was HUGE when I was 5-8 years old. The first video game I ever played actually was Mortal Kombat II for the Sega Genesis. I played it a bunch with my older brother(it was one of the only things we did together, he was 10 years older and didnt have much time for me). 

I remember that the Power Rangers were a big craze, but I was never into them. Some of the movies that really left an impression on me as a kid were Batman Forever, Men in Black, The Nutty Professor,  Heavyweights, Blankman(lol it was cheese but i just loved that movie), and Last Action Hero(another cheeseball but i loved it). Those were the ones I watched the most probably.

Written By: AL-B on 02/16/05 at 1:02 am

El Duderino--

Here's something you might get a kick out of (unless you've seen it already): 

http://www.ifilm.com/viralvideo?stage=getmpproductinfoad&pinfo=ipt:viral%7Cmt:asf%7Cbw:200%7Cfid:2652382

Written By: Guest on 02/21/05 at 6:59 pm

Born in 1991, when grunge music was at it's peak stage, I don't really remember the '90s as much as you do.  The farthest back I can remember clearly is 1997, and maybe 1996.  I may also remember a few snippits of 1995, if I tried.

I watched for cartoons is Tom and Jerry (1997-1998), Looney Tunes (1997+), PPG (1998+), Dexter's Laboratory (1997+), Beetlejuice (1998), 2 Stupid Dogs (1998-1999), Jetsons (1997-1999), Rocko's Modern Life (1998-1999), Catdog (1998-1999), Teletubbies, Arthur (1998+), Bill Nye 'da Science Guy (1998).  I played with toys such as Hot Wheels, Super Soakers, Nerf, Magna Doodler, Ferbies, Beanie Babies, and lotz of cool stuff.  My friends include Carly Michelle (who may comeback in 2005-2006), Nick C., Coty Kremer, Ann Rhodes, Zach Johnson, Heather Carlson, Lacey Pospeck; I had a lot of them.  I could name them for years.

So, what was your 90s.

:)

Written By: RadioStarWMVL on 02/21/05 at 7:40 pm

Oh man, so many memories...I was born in 1986 so I was a 90s kid for sure.

When I was real little I remember My Little Ponies and Rainbow Brite (end of the eighties)

But then for the 90s! You get to Goosebumps and BabySitters club. Cartoons like Rocko's Modern Life, Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Simpsons...those were real funny. My fiance was born in 83 and watched Spidermen and x-men but I was never into those, I was a loser who likes power rangers because they had the pink and yellow ranger and they were teenagers and they were girls.

There were good shows on Nickelodean...shows that could actually make my dad laugh (in contrast to the ones today that can't make anyone with an IQ over seven laugh...it's not even funny if I'm stoned) Global Guts, Double Dare, Legends of the Hidden Temple...classic game shows.

CLARRISA EXPLAINS IT ALL!!! (back when Melissa Joan Hart was cool and pretty) oh god! Salute your Shorts and Hey Dude kicked serious @ss and the best one of them all was Pete and Pete!!!!! Does it get any better!?

And Nick at Nite with Bewitched and I deam of Jeanie, that was fine when I was a kid but now that I've grown I love Cheers, Three's Company and All in the Family too.

Orgeon Trail in school...god, I remember we had IBMs with Blue Screens and white writing. Around 94 there was a big controversy during typing class where someone figured out how to send these primitive "IMs" to kids in the same room as you and the teachers couldn't figure out how to stop it...this was way before AIM or AOL (or at least before we knew about it) The Internet was still for rich people. scientist and professors and we went to an actual library to do research for papers.

I wore stretch pants and styrup pants with flats and oversized sweatshirts and tee-shirts. In the late 90s Limited Two was the craze.

We listened to Blind Melon "No Rain" Gin Blossoms, Spin Doctors, Counting Crows, Alanis Morrisette (remember the Ironic Craze?)Violent Femmes "Blister in the Sun", Sublime, Green Day, and a bunch of those songs...you know what I'm talking about, we didn't know the artist but we knew every single word...

Oh! I miss those days. Screw college and responsibility. I'm only doing this so I can save the world and be seven again.

Written By: BlondeyFHFan6 on 02/21/05 at 8:47 pm

I was born in 1987 so I was definatly a 90s child!
Some shows/movies I watched:
Full House-started watching it at the age of 5 and i'm still lovin' it!
Mighty Morphon Power Rangers-I watched it the very first time it came on back in 1993. I was the pink ranger and was in love w/ the red ranger. lol. I didn't like tommy at all.. he was too creepy. lol.
Watched Mostly everything on Fox Kids Saturday mornings
Baby sitter Club movie
Sweet Valley High series
Loonie Tones
Goosebumps
Bookers
Sabrina the teenage witch
Animaniacs
My Little Ponnies
Arthur
Barney-this show was very popular when I was in pre-school till the time I was in Kindergarten after that it was crap
Teletubbies(my cousin and I watched this one morning in '98 or '99.. it scared both of us! especially tinkie winkie and his little purse!)
Blues Clues
Simpsons
Bill Nye the Science guy and almost all other pbs shows
King of the hill
7th heaven
Rugrats
Doug
All the old Disney shows
I was a big Nick at nite watcher. I first got cable in '90 but then it was d/c in 2001 and today I just got it back!
Step by Step-They showed this show on CBS back in '97.. It was a pretty good show but Full House is much better!
Boy Meets World
Cosby Show-use to come on in the afternoons here on my local Fox station. It was on there from 96-00
Home Alone 1-3
Ritchie Rich
Clueless
Lion King
Pohantas
Mulan
The Fox and the Hound

In 1998, NBC showed the movie "No one would tell" I saw that. I still remember it till this day. I think Candace Cameron Bure(DJ tanner from FH) was in this movie

I was a big Mk& Ashley fan. I had all their books/movies.. everything! lol. I became a fan of theirs after watching them on FH.

I listened to Hanson, Backstreet boys, Nsync and 98 degrees. I was also into the Spice Girls for awhile.

Thats all I can think of right now! 8)

The 90s were the best. and I miss them so bad! Wish things were the way they use to be!

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/05 at 10:10 pm

Mighty Morphon Power Rangers-I watched it the very first time it came on back in 1993. I was the pink ranger and was in love w/ the red ranger. lol. I didn't like tommy at all.. he was too creepy. lol.
Baby sitter Club movie
Sweet Valley High series
Loonie Tones
Goosebumps
Bookers
Animaniacs
My Little Ponnies
Arthur
Barney-this show was very popular when I was in pre-school till the time I was in Kindergarten after that it was crap
Teletubbies(my cousin and I watched this one morning in '98 or '99.. it scared both of us! especially tinkie winkie and his little purse!)
Blues Clues
Simpsons
King of the hill
7th heaven
Rugrats
Doug
All the old Disney shows
I was a big Nick at nite watcher. I first got cable in '90 but then it was d/c in 2001 and today I just got it back!
Step by Step-They showed this show on CBS back in '97.. It was a pretty good show but Full House is much better!
Boy Meets World
Cosby Show-use to come on in the afternoons here on my local Fox station. It was on there from 96-00
Home Alone 1-3
Ritchie Rich
Clueless
Lion King
Pohantas
Mulan
The Fox and the Hound

In 1998, NBC showed the movie "No one would tell" I saw that. I still remember it till this day. I think Candace Cameron Bure(DJ tanner from FH) was in this movie

I was a big Mk& Ashley fan. I had all their books/movies.. everything! lol. I became a fan of theirs after watching them on FH.

I listened to Hanson, Backstreet boys, Nsync and 98 degrees. I was also into the Spice Girls for awhile.

The 90s were the best. and I miss them so bad! Wish things were the way they use to be!

I was born in 1987 too blondey, I remember just about all that stuff. The '90s were great!

Written By: Aubster on 02/21/05 at 10:20 pm

I really miss the 90's  :\'(
I was born in 87' .. i miss the old nick(pete&pete the most) .. when ppl didn't get voted off road rules .. string things, dunkaroos, orbits, other food items, muppet babies, eurekas castle, old disney, the burger king kids, the cool toys cupcake dolls, the cat and dogs that had kittens and puppies, other toys.. the music .. Paulie shore  :-I LOVE THE 90's!!

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/05 at 10:35 pm

I really miss the 90's  :\'(
I was born in 87' .. i miss the old nick(pete&pete the most) .. when ppl didn't get voted off road rules .. string things, dunkaroos, orbits, other food items, muppet babies, eurekas castle, old disney, the burger king kids, the cool toys cupcake dolls, the cat and dogs that had kittens and puppies, other toys.. the music .. Paulie shore  :-I LOVE THE 90's!!

I remember how excited I was when I got my BK kids club card in 1994.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/21/05 at 10:36 pm

I was very young in the "main 90s" but this was the nineties to me: (not necessarily 90s but I experiened them then nonetheless):

1993-early 1995 (i can't remember anything before 1993 at all)

1. Arctic Adventure
2. Saved by the Bell
3. The Lion King
4. The Little Mermaid
5. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
6. Home Alone
7. Bagel Bites
8. No Use or Knowledge of the Net

late 1995-early 1997

1. The Jungle Playplace/Arcade
2. Star Wars night
3. Super Mario Bros.
4. The Mall
5. Elementary School (a nightmare  :D )
6. getting cable to watch Nickelodeon
7. Beavis and Butthead
8. Robin Williams   :-[
9. The Simpsons
10.The San Francisco Zoo
11.Weird neighbors
12.Old School computer games

late 1997-2000

1. Tamagotchis/Gigapets
2. Geography interest
3. Princess Diana death
4. Talk of Pogs
5. Angry Beavers
6. first heard of Spice Girls
7. Yearning for South Park  :P
8. King of the Hill
9. The Internet
10. Nick at Nite (before it was Nick@nite)
11. Move to Montana
12. Beanie Babys
13. Furbys
14. Tickle Me Elmo
15. Backstreet Boys
16. Pokemon craze I hated
17. Personal Math craze
18. Britney Spears debut
19. The Famous Jett Jackson
20. Johnny Tsunami  8)
21. So Weird
22. Smart Guy
23. Other Disney Channel (pre Lizzie McGuire)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/21/05 at 10:38 pm

Is it just me or are people who wax nostalgic on the 90s primarily born in 1987?  I'm a 1990er so I guess I'm young even to the 90s fan club.

-FHF  ;)

Written By: Aubster on 02/21/05 at 10:40 pm

Is it just me or are people who wax nostalgic on the 90s primarily born in 1987?  I'm a 1990er so I guess I'm young even to the 90s fan club.

-FHF  ;)

hahaha wow thats funny .. hey i cant help it ..  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/05 at 10:42 pm

hahaha wow thats funny .. hey i cant help it ..  ;D

What is with us 1987ers and '90s nostalgia. Maybe it's that we're turning 18 now and starting to look back on our childhood.

Written By: Aubster on 02/21/05 at 10:46 pm

What is with us 1987ers and '90s nostalgia. Maybe it's that we're turning 18 now and starting to look back on our childhood.

geesh i guess..  lately i cant stand listening to the new songs that are out all i listen to is 90s stuff .. i dunno i think its knowing i have to leave for college im trying to re-live my childhood .. b4 i have to be a serious adult  :-\\

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/21/05 at 10:48 pm

Didn't think of that.  After all people born in 1987 would have a harbor a legendary memory to remember anything before 1990.  I feel nostalgic about 1993-1997, in fact, dare I say it, I heard "Sometimes" by Britney Spears (made 1999) in a store and it felt nostalgic.  But I doubt I'll ever feel nostalgic about anything after 2000.

Wow I can see it now: People born in 1981 saying how they can't imagine anyone born IN the 90s remembering anything meaningful from the nineties.  Then, around 2013, they'll say in despair, "It's not that weird.  Now people born in 2000, those guys are little 13-year-old brats!

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/05 at 10:54 pm

Didn't think of that.  After all people born in 1987 would have a harbor a legendary memory to remember anything before 1990.  I feel nostalgic about 1993-1997, in fact, dare I say it, I heard "Sometimes" by Britney Spears (made 1999) in a store and it felt nostalgic.  But I doubt I'll ever feel nostalgic about anything after 2000.

Wow I can see it now: People born in 1981 saying how they can't imagine anyone born IN the 90s remembering anything meaningful from the nineties.  Then, around 2013, they'll say in despair, "It's not that weird.  Now people born in 2000, those guys are little 13-year-old brats!

I bet you will eventually. I bet in 10 years I'll be looking back on those teen years of the '00s. I wonder how music and stuff is going to change.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/05 at 10:59 pm

I can remember a few little snipets from like 1989 or so. Just like my mom holding me outside, waiting for my dad too come home. I know that was before 1989 because it was at the older house which we moved out of in 1989. However, I don't remember when my cousin was born in 1990. My memory really begins in 1991.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/21/05 at 11:02 pm

I can remember a few little snipets from like 1989 or so. Just like my mom holding me outside, waiting for my dad too come home. I know that was before 1989 because it was at the older house which we moved out of in 1989. However, I don't remember when my cousin was born in 1990. My memory really begins in 1991.

Actually, I suppose it's possible I can remember a few things from 1992.  But nothing definite or truly meaningful.
And my "real memory" doesn't really start till '94.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/21/05 at 11:08 pm

Interesting.  Did your 1989/1990 memories feel eighties?
I bet you will eventually. I bet in 10 years I'll be looking back on those teen years of the '00s. I wonder how music and stuff is going to change.

I bet I'll never "fondly" look back on it.  If only for Ashlee Simpson and Paris Hilton, the incarnations of Satan.  :P They ruined this whole d*amned decade.  >:(

But then again, I thought that of the 90s at first.

-FHF  ;)

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/05 at 11:24 pm

Interesting.  Did your 1989/1990 memories feel eighties?
I bet I'll never "fondly" look back on it.  If only for Ashlee Simpson and Paris Hilton, the incarnations of Satan.  :P They ruined this whole d*amned decade.  >:(

But then again, I thought that of the 90s at first.

-FHF  ;)

Like I said my '89, '90 memories are just little snipets, but I guess they have a bit of an '80s feel. My 1991 memories seem to as well.

Written By: 90s boy on 02/22/05 at 6:23 am

the earliest memory i have was when my mom was holding me this i think was back in the 80's 88 i was born in 88 and she was saying something about Janet Jackson and i remember sometings from 90 91 in 1991 i molede for a Sears Catlog rely remember that my memories really get good in 1993 and beyond today

Written By: Brendan1986 on 02/26/05 at 3:00 pm

I remember nothing before 88, except crying in a crib. That was my earliest memory. I was born in 86. I remember in 89 rolling down my great-grandads hill with my cousins and eating cereal. I remeber alot of my parents arguing and stuff like that. After 89 I remember all type of stuff.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/26/05 at 5:57 pm

Wait a second ... you guys can remember being babies?  Not like 3 years old, but 1 year old??  That's truly incredible!  8)

-FHF

Written By: Guest on 02/26/05 at 6:41 pm

I'm a 1983er so that definately makes me a child of the '90s.  My earliest memories probably go back to 1985 with a flash memory of me looking at my sister standing by my crib.  My earliest clear memories however are probably around 1988-89.  The '90s are pretty clear to me, especially the 'core' years of the decade, 1992-97.  Here's what I remember most from the '90s:

'90-'91-  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Home Alone, New Kids On The Block, In Living Color, M.C. Hammer, Tail Spin, Darkwing Duck, Tiny Toon Adventures, The Simpsons, Pretty Woman, Hook, The Addams Family, City Slickers, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, "November Rain" - Guns N' Roses, Persian Gulf War, Pee Wee Herman arrest, Fivel Goes West, Beauty &The Beast, SNES

'92-'93-  Eek The Cat!, Rugrats, The Ren & Stimpy Show, Rocko's Modern Life, Bobby's World, Kriss Kross, Billy Ray Cyrus, "Baby Got Back", Nirvana, Beverly Hills 90210, Summer Olympics, L.A. Riots, Presidential election, Martin, early '90s SNL, Wayne's World, Fern Gully, Aladdin, A League of Their Own, Sonic The Hedghog, Beavis and Butthead, Animaniacs, Jurassic Park, The Fugitive, "Whoomp! There It Is", Waco standoff, Mortal Kombat, Adventures of Pete & Pete, Boy Meets World

'94-'95-  The Secret World of Alex Mack, Ahh! Real Monsters, The Critic, Duckman, All That, Mad TV, Spiderman, X-Men, TLC, Forrest Gump, O.J. Simpson trial, Toy Story, The Lion King, "Gangsta's Paradise", Goosebumps, Aeon Flux, MTV's Oddities, Clueless, Apollo 13, Oklahoma City bombing, Dangerous Minds, Showgirls, Braveheart, Dumb & Dumber, pogs, Presidents of The United States of America, Pocohauntas, Seinfeld, Singled Out!

'96-'97-  Space Cases, Kenan & Kel, Hey Arnold!, Independence Day, Nintendo 64, Spice Girls, Hanson, ska, Puff Daddy, Sublime, "Macarena", "No Diggnity", Daria, Space Jam, Men In Black, "Return of The Mack", Titanic, 12 Angry Viewers, Ellen "coming out", Princess Di's death, Heaven Gate suicide, Beanie Babies, Jonbenet Ramsey murder

'98-'99-  Britney Spears, Eminem, DMX, Master P, Total Request Live, Limp Bizkit, Korn, boy bands, "Mambo No. 5", American Pie, Brandy & Monica, "No Scrubs", Armageddon, Dawson's Creek, Clinton/Lewinsky scandal, "Can I Get A...", Ricky Martin, Santana, Y2K bug scare, Columbine shootings, Celebrity Deathmatch, "Pretty Fly For A White Guy", Undressed

That's all I remember from the '90s.  I'd have to say 1990-92 and 1995-96 are my favorite periods of it.    

Written By: Trimac21 on 02/27/05 at 10:55 pm

I was born in 1986 and can basically remember nothing before I was 4 or 5. I think my first memory was when I was 3 and I was  at daycare. I remember the daycare teacher took my beloved teenage mutant ninja turtles figurine away from me and I bawled my eyes out the whole afternoon.

Written By: jwsisliving1 on 02/28/05 at 4:57 pm

My first clear memories are from when I was four and five. I would think it would be hard for anyone to remember anything before that.

My first memories(88-91):

My best friend's older brother showed us SimCity.

My class went on a field trip to see FernGully.

Playing with ghostbusters toys, like the gun, the trap thingy, and other little action figures. I think their was a flying thing too. I watched Slimer! And the Real Ghostbusters everyday.

Most of my memories from this period focuse on the cartoons, movies, tv shows I grew up on. And the original Nintendo was my first game system. I have photos of me unwrapping it for Christmas 89. Playing the games at friend's houses, games like Marble Madness, California Games, Mickey Mousecapades, Excitebike, Super Off Road, World Class Track Meet, Chip & Dale. And who can forget "now your playing with power".

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/10/05 at 3:15 am

LOL. Actually I was born at the end of '81 and I don't think that way (even if I feel more nostalgic about the 80's than the 90's - I'm also about 7 years old at heart, probably always will be!).

I do like alot about the 90's myself, although 1996 was the last year I'd think of "nostalgically". Not to the extent of 1985, but still.

1997-now seems to somewhat bleed together at times. Maybe it was due to me starting high school that year (and that my general appearence hasn't changed that much since then). However, I actually do think the culture of 1997 was the beginning of what 2004/05 is now like--beginning of the Internet getting big, teen pop, etc.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/10/05 at 9:55 am

At one point they showed old Disney cartoons on Family Channel (the version of Disney Channel here in Canada) with Mickey Mouse, now it's barely done.

Other things I remember about the 90's are Barney and Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/10/05 at 3:55 pm

LOL. Actually I was born at the end of '81 and I don't think that way (even if I feel more nostalgic about the 80's than the 90's - I'm also about 7 years old at heart, probably always will be!).

I do like alot about the 90's myself, although 1996 was the last year I'd think of "nostalgically". Not to the extent of 1985, but still.

1997-now seems to somewhat bleed together at times. Maybe it was due to me starting high school that year (and that my general appearence hasn't changed that much since then). However, I actually do think the culture of 1997 was the beginning of what 2004/05 is now like--beginning of the Internet getting big, teen pop, etc.

I think you and I have the same feeling about this more or less.  I almost want to discount 1997-1999 as the 90s, because although it had a 90s feel, along with 2000 and to a lesser extent 2001, the culture was so Gen Y, whereas the 1990-96 kids were still more or less the same generation as the Children of the Eighties, I guess you could say 1996 was the last year of 20th century culture.  I never thought of 1997 being different from 1995 or '96, but now I can see why.  1999 is really when I got exposed to 2000s-ish stuff.  1997 imo started it and 99 made it what it was today. Although 2004 began the breakaway from the Millenium culture I think, and by 2007 they'll be a new culture.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/10/05 at 4:24 pm

I think you and I have the same feeling about this more or less.  I almost want to discount 1997-1999 as the 90s, because although it had a 90s feel, along with 2000 and to a lesser extent 2001, the culture was so Gen Y, whereas the 1990-96 kids were still more or less the same generation as the Children of the Eighties, I guess you could say 1996 was the last year of 20th century culture....Although 2004 began the breakaway from the Millenium culture I think, and by 2007 they'll be a new culture.

Yeah. Even at the time, I could see a clear difference just from 1996 into '97. Much of the culture/movies/music of 1996 could've come out 3 or 4 years earlier and no one would've batted an eye. There was still some listenable rap (i.e. "Gangsta's Paradise"), Beavis & Butthead was still pretty strong, and it was the final year grunge was around (although it was fading in popularity by then).

Its timing just happened to coincide, but I think the Internet had alot to do with the culture change. I actually first heard of it in late '95, and first used it myself in '96, but I don't think it really "took off" until 1997/98 - when practically everyone was starting to have it.

Of course, around 7 years later, IM's, message boards and Ebay are hard to imagine life without. Same with cell phones.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/10/05 at 4:47 pm

Yeah. Even at the time, I could see a clear difference just from 1996 into '97. Much of the culture/movies/music of 1996 could've come out 3 or 4 years earlier and no one would've batted an eye. There was still some listenable rap (i.e. "Gangsta's Paradise"), Beavis & Butthead was still pretty strong, and it was the final year grunge was around (although it was fading in popularity by then).

Its timing just happened to coincide, but I think the Internet had alot to do with the culture change. I actually first heard of it in late '95, and first used it myself in '96, but I don't think it really "took off" until 1997/98 - when practically everyone was starting to have it.

Of course, around 7 years later, IM's, message boards and Ebay are hard to imagine life without. Same with cell phones.

Nice post McFly  ;D

Yeah the Internet had a lot to do with it.  When Nickelodeon did all those Nick.com things on their shows back in c. 1996 I wanted the Internet bad, didn't get it until 2000.  In many way, 1990-96 was more like the eighties technologically than 1997-2005.  Really 1997-2005/06 is kinda a decade of its own.  The 90s culture was really very short when you think about it, there's just aspects about it that have held over even to this day.

The Nineties really ended culturally when "South Park" was first aired in 1997, and politically when Bush was elected or when 9/11 occured.  Oct. 2000 was when I first got into a 2000s state of mind.

Written By: m5chitown on 03/21/05 at 7:42 pm

People...I was born in 1992, and I went through nothing special. I saw life progress through my older cousins. I watched as Aladdin came out on VHS, and when The Land Before Time movies were still decent...(Actually, I was a baby and loved them)...I didn't understand Hanson, Aqua, or whatever else. I liked Elvis Presley as a baby, and I liked Roy Orbison and The Beatles. As I grew, I started liking Disco music, and now I like 80's music. I never really liked 90's music in the 90's. Weird.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/22/05 at 2:12 pm

People...I was born in 1992, and I went through nothing special. I saw life progress through my older cousins. I watched as Aladdin came out on VHS, and when The Land Before Time movies were still decent...(Actually, I was a baby and loved them)...I didn't understand Hanson, Aqua, or whatever else. I liked Elvis Presley as a baby, and I liked Roy Orbison and The Beatles. As I grew, I started liking Disco music, and now I like 80's music. I never really liked 90's music in the 90's. Weird.

Do you know what 1992-1996 music was like? Grunge, old school and gangsta rap, country, techno, R&B.  1990 and 91 music had some of that too but from what I know it was still kinda held over from the 80s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/22/05 at 11:53 pm

It's great that even know when you look back at your younger years there was a 'magic' (well, okay maybe that's going a bit far) about them. I remember as a kid it was such a big deal getting a new toy or a bike or something, and I actually looked forward to Christmas.etc. There were so many great things about being a kid in the 90s...not least the cartoons and toys. Speaking of toys, did anyone seriously collect those Kinder Surprise toys? As a kid I collected about 150 of them.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 04/05/05 at 1:10 pm

The 90s were cool. Early to mid 90s I used to absolutely love playing on the Sonic The Hedgehog games for my Mega Drive. Then I grew out of them and along came consoles like the Playstation the Nintendo 65, which at the time were incredible. But then along came the Gameboy Colour (Color) and Pokemon which I also loved - Note the loveD, I can't stand it now. Then after that came the PS2, XBox and GameCube, again, incredible when they arrived.. and still are. but now we've got the Nintendo DS and the soon-to-be-released PSP. In my opinion, although the graphics have improved, you still can't beat classics like Sonic The Hedgehog! Such a simple - but highly enjoyable game. Nowadays games have far too much you have to achieve, (GTA San Andreas anybody?) and all involve killing people in some way. It's a proven fact that you can't beat a classic

Written By: Sugafairey on 04/05/05 at 10:19 pm

I was born early 1981, so I can remember a big chunk of the 80's and all of the 90's. Although I think i'm probably an 80's child at heart (I remember Kylie the first time round...) a massive chunk of my school days were in the 90's. Me & my flatmate both feel nostalgia to the 80's & 90's equally, though when you talk about being young in 1998 it makes me feel really old because I was almost 18yrs old by then!!

Written By: Krystal on 04/08/05 at 1:21 pm

Omg, i miss the 90's so much now from reading your posts. I was born in January of 1986 so i remember both late 80s and 90s. I really miss Eurekas caslte, when i would always make my p&j sandwich when they did. RoundHouse! That was a good show, way before All that. Ren and Stimpy ( finally came out on DVD series) Boy meets world. The good all days. I loved the old my little ponies, and im glad there back but they look different, but still good. I definatley wore those stirrup pants, but hated them. Oh and who can forget the couple of years when every little girl had a boys hair cut?! you can't hide, everyone had one! And the best boy band around, New Kids on the Block! I had all their barbie dolls!  ;D Chip and Dales adventures! Muppet Show, old seasme street rocked.Ace of Base. They were cool back then. If only i could be 5 agian! those were the good years!

Written By: AngeliK on 04/23/05 at 8:36 am

I was born Nov '85 so I remember quite a lot from the '90's  like waking up at 7am on sundays to watch the cartoon series of Madeline (which got turned into a movie) and the magic schoolbus (Why oh why am I embarrassing myself like this!!) I remember watching X-men and Spiderman  and now they're movies, the Hulk also, I guess that's part of the nostalgia though, we have all these movies to remind us of things we used to watch. I also remember when yoyo's and skateboards were popular the first time round! Not to mention, I remember seeing films like Beauty and The Beast and The Lion King when they first came out which is something I'll never forget because of all the DVD releases now. I remember reading Goosebumps and Point Horror and Sweet Valley Twins/High/University....there are so many memories for me in the '90's after all it was 10 years of my life....exactly half I guess...well just over lol. As foir music, when I was like 6 I listened to The Beatles, Eurythmics, The stones, Nirvana, When I was about 10 it was Michael Jackson, East 17, Boyzone, The Spice Girls and now I've gone back to when i was 6 with some more variety! lol. 

The things I don't miss, shellsuits (I mean WHY?!?) I saw one in a shop the other day...does this mean they're coming back into style?? bizzarre things my grandparents used to make me wear like stripy cardigans etc....lolz....and erm stupid haircuts (in agreement with Krystal mine was 1997)

Good times!

Kxxx

Written By: ... on 04/24/05 at 11:43 am

90s were awesome

Written By: ? on 04/24/05 at 11:49 am

i was born in 91 and i remember alot from the nineties specially all the nick shows like:
Global GUTS
Pete & Pete
Legends of the Hidden Temple
Salute your shorts
Ren & Stempy
Clarissa explains it all
Doug
Pepper Ann
Are you afraid of the dark? *one of my personal faves
Weinerville
Wild and Crazy Kids
Anamaniacs
Goosebumbs
Gulla gulla island
Rocko's Modern Life
Figure it Out
All that
Beetlejuice
Ninja Turtles
Kenan & Kel show
Ahh real monsters
eurekas castle
and other shows from disney n stuff like
bug juice
smart guy
sister sister
boy meets world
the adams family
pee wee herman
the magic school bus
reading rainbow
arthur
and alot more
i remember the music being nsync, backstreet boys, britany spears, aaron carter, mandy moore, hanson, spice girls, and whatnot
i miss the 90's they were the best!

Written By: Wilshaw on 04/24/05 at 1:13 pm

i was born in 87 oh man there is so much to remember
When i first got Sky here in england i found the greatness of Nickelodeon
Kenan and Kel (KEL AINT DEAD)
Mask
james bond junior
turtles
transfomers (me an my bro's had all the toys  ;D)
Pogs
The star wars re releases
The Bushwackers (when wrestling was about wrestling not a dam soap opera)
When i first saw ren and stimpy
visionairies
He-Man
Dino Riders
Street Sharks
Swamp Thing
The first jurassic park movie
almost 18 yrs of history jeez where does the time go

Written By: Sugafairey on 04/24/05 at 6:33 pm

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned the genius that is:

CatDog.

How i loved it.

Written By: msquared on 05/18/05 at 4:21 pm

your all gay who cares what happend in the 90ds it's just a number and don't u little kids being born in 88-91 think there so cool u don't know the real 90ds so stop acting like it

Written By: amavanna on 06/03/05 at 5:03 pm

You know i see people like you everywhere, you show up in the most peaceful of spots and poop on everyone for no reason. I suggest you find a life instead of picking on others.

Written By: 90s boy on 06/03/05 at 5:32 pm

your all gay who cares what happend in the 90ds it's just a number and don't u little kids being born in 88-91 think there so cool u don't know the real 90ds so stop acting like it

get a life a$$hole i can remember alot from the 1990's

Written By: bj26 on 06/06/05 at 3:07 pm

My two kids were baby types and up through the 90s, so I guess you could say I grew up during the 90s too.  There were some bizarrely funny cartoons and variety shows during the time, Cat/Dog, Salute your shorts, cow & chicken, Pete and Pete, etc. like the end of the century decided to go beserk :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/06/05 at 3:20 pm

Whoa, hey relax a minute. I know this is an "old" reply, but as a parallel, I was born at the end of 1981, yet the 80's is my all-time favorite decade. That's the same as a kid born in 1991/92 feeling that way on the 90's. ;)

I paid attention to pop culture when I was little, and I have an interest in "history" anyway (I grew up liking the Beatles and stuff from the 60's as well) -- other people are bound to feel the same way too!

Let's just try and be nice and civil to each other. These kind of "insults" are uncalled for.

Written By: Margie1988 on 06/13/05 at 3:56 pm

your all gay who cares what happend in the 90ds it's just a number and don't u little kids being born in 88-91 think there so cool u don't know the real 90ds so stop acting like it ...Dont be so defensive if u dont care.

Whoa...us little kids born in '88? I was born in 1988 and I am 17 years old thank you very much; I can remember a sheeshload from the 90s, probably a lot more than you ever could....My childhood took place during the 90s.  And another thing, if you dont care about the 90s why are you on this site and why do you care whether or not people born from 88-91 talk about their memories from the 90s?

Written By: Margie1988 on 06/13/05 at 4:12 pm

Great Post.  I totally agree with everything you said. After 1996, I really don't feel any nostalgia 97-present November of 2000 when George Bush got elected started this decade of hell.  I can assure you that I will never look back on this decade as being any great point in my life.

Written By: Margie1988 on 06/13/05 at 6:21 pm

Baby sitter Club movie
Sweet Valley High series
Loonie Tones
Goosebumps
Bookers
Animaniacs
My Little Ponnies
Arthur
Blues Clues
Simpsons
King of the hill
7th heaven
Rugrats
Doug
All the old Disney shows
Boy Meets World
Home Alone 1-3
Ritchie Rich
Clueless
Lion King
Pohantas
Mulan
The Fox and the Hound

Does anyone rmr any of those old disney shows like the new adventures of winnie the pooh, the little mermaid, the torklesons, that alice in wonderland show, ready or not, flash forward, Bug juice?

e

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/13/05 at 6:43 pm

Great Post. I totally agree with everything you said. After 1996, I really don't feel any nostalgia 97-present November of 2000 when George Bush got elected started this decade of hell. I can assure you that I will never look back on this decade as being any great point in my life.

Thanks (I almost forgot I made that post!). For sure, in 1997 I felt more nostalgic for 1995 than I do in 2005 for 1997, LOL. I'm definitely going to feel old when kids born in the late 90's start recalling the "good old days of the 2000's". ;D

I like modern technology (couldn't live without the Internet!) but other than that, we've been declining for almost a decade. Pop culturally, you could say the 2000's started in '97 but full blown by '99.

This decade started politically with Bush's election - I'm honestly not a fan of him as a president - though I think he's okay as a person - and that's about the most positive thing I can say about that. ;)

Written By: aerognrjovihalen on 06/13/05 at 10:28 pm

Yes, I was born in 1987, and I think there is a fine line between when the 80s ended and the 90s began, especially considering I come from a working class family (we first got a real computer around 1995, caller ID in like 1999).  My oldest brother was born in 1979, so the 80s childhood didn't really seem to end until we moved in 1996, and everyone seemed older and started high school and stuff.  But I remember a lot growing up in the early 90s.  Here's what I watched/listened to/played with/did, etc:

Ah, the PBS morning classics:
Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood
Sesame Street
Barney
Lamb Chops Play Along
Shining Time Station
Reading Rainbow

Other TV shows:
My mom loved ABC and always watched Good Morning America, Oprah, and All My Children, so naturally we all became attached to these shows.  My grandma also came over and would watch the WGN news at Noon.
Power Rangers
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Darkwing Duck
Looney Tunes
Saved by the Bell
Full House
Cosby
Family Matters
Step by Step
Dinosaurs
Home Improvement
Boy Meets World

Movies I loved:
Home Alone 1 & 2
Speed
Mrs. Doubtfire
Billy Madison
Happy Gilmore
Clueless
Brady Bunch Movie
Harriet the Spy
Forrest Gump
Wayne's World 1 & 2
Independence Day
Men in Black
Lion King
Alladin
Beauty and the Beast
Mighty Ducks

Music I listened to:
Aerosmith - Get a Grip...I wore out the tape at age 7; Nine Lives; "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing"
Pearl Jam - Ten, Vs., Vitalogy
Nirvana - In Utero, Nevermind, Unplugged
Ace of Base - don't ask me why
Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I & II
Alice in Chains - Dirt, Alice in Chains, Unplugged
Soundgarden - Superunknown, Down un the Upside
Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill
Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle

Childhood book favorites:
Goodnight Moon
Bernstein Bear books
Matt Christopher books
Judy Blume books
Where the Red Fern Grows
Indian in the Cupboard
Shel Silverstein - "Where the Sidewalk Ends"

Sports teams:
Chicago Bulls...I'm live in the Chicago burbs and we were nuts for the Bulls in those glory days
Dallas Cowboys...America's team, right?  I'm always a Bears fan at heart though.
Chicago Wolves...A local favorite that always did well
minor league baseball team Kane County Cougars
Chicago White Sox...they would've gone all the way in 1994 had it not been for that stupid strike.
Chicago Cubs...in the mid 90s I began to love them and watched Sammy Sosa hit his 60th homer at Wrigley Field in the heated 1998 homerun race.

Fashion:
Really dug the grunge look.  Felt kind of stupid in retrospect for sporting open flannel shirts as late as 1998.  Wore my cap backwards and had my cheap sunglasses riding around on my bike...gosh, I was a little punk.

Milestone news moments (stopped whatever I was doing):
OJ Simpson verdict 1995
Calif. Northbridge quake 1994
Oklahoma City bombing 1995
Suburban Chicago bus-train collision that killed 7 kids, 1995
Bulls winning the championship - every time
Columbine school shootings 1999

Things I did:
Building houses, sets, entire cities out of Legos...the Legos were so much better back then
Playmobil
Micro Machines
massive Hotwheels collection and play-mats (with roads & buildings and stuff in a 2D dimension)
Ambulance that made noise
Semi Truck toy that emmited smoke
Oregon Trail, Yukon Trail, some knowledge tree program, on our first computer in 1995
Riding my bike all around my neighborhood; counting flags on the 4th of July and Memorial day was a hobby; pretened that my bike was a car
Parades and fireworks galore
Going swimming at my suburb's brand new aquatic park
Drawing
Making house plans and city plans
Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, Sorry, Life, Payday...and they were all the 80s versions
Playing with wooden blocks
Those waffle block things
Brio train set

Ah, what a great childhood....I could go on forever.  I felt it kinda cut short in 1996 when my family moved, my mom started working, and my grandparents' health went downhill...so that was a little tough for me to handle.  But I think those personal things kinda coincided with the times changing, so it seemed to work out OK.

Written By: aerognrjovihalen on 06/13/05 at 10:42 pm

Oh my gosh, someone kick me...I completely forgot Nickelodeon shows.

Rugrats
Doug
Ren & Stimpy
Clarissa Explains it All
That show where they slimed people
Legends of the Hidden Temple
All That

Written By: TheTeenFrom1992 on 06/14/05 at 3:06 pm

I live in Melbourne Victoria in Australia & the main things i remember about the 90s were undercut hairstyles, baggy Stussy pants that had an elastic in the waist & a little black Stussy tag at on the side of the right leg, Kuta Lines jumpers, Nike Air Jordans & Reebok Pumps. I remember doing homework to music like Ugly Kid Joe's America's Least Wanted album, Nirvana ofcourse, & The Poor's song More Wine Waiter Please among loads of other stuff. I remember it was when BMX bikes didn't weigh 10 tonnes & you could get loads of air on them. Early 90s was also around the time when Skyway (responsible for nylon/plastic wheels called TUFFS) stopped making BMX bikes. Now Skyway only make just the wheels, but they aren't easy to find the older style 5 spoke (especially in Australia), most common now are the stupid looking 3 spoke ones.  I remember Super Nintendo was the reigning games system & Street Fighter II & Mortal Kombat were the 2 most popular arcade games. I remember Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was getting repeats on morning TV before school on Agro's Cartoon Connection (Australian TV). Oh & i remember when Simpsons started (1991 in Australia) & i remember thinking this will never last it'll came & go, i've never been more wrong in my life about anything. I totally agree about cartoons sucking really bad nowadays, but i actually prefered the cartoons from the 80s like He-man & Transformers & technically Ninja Turtles was an 80s cartoon aswell. I could probably say the same thing about music & i'm not a big fan of this Nu Metal crap which was born at the tail end of the 90s. When i think of the music in the 90s i automatically think of Nirvana & the above mention bands & i also think of it as being the era that had the last of the bands that actually had guitar solos (very few, early 90s) & could actually play. It was apparent that rock & metal was leaning further towards less technical, elaborate & intricate. Now you have to look to the underground bands for crazy guitar riffs or justhave to relive the older stuff. Even though i'm more of an 80s child i still have a lot of fond memories of the early 90s up untill about 1995.

Written By: TheTeenFrom1992 on 06/14/05 at 3:24 pm

Oh by the way i forgot to mention i was born in 1978. By the look of it i'm the oldest one on here. Old enough to be some of you people's dad, yikes that's sary. I remember 1990 to 1994 like it was only yesterday. Started highschool in 1991 & was 18 & legally able to drink by 1996. Reading all your posts has made me feel downright geriatric.

Written By: TeenFrom92 on 06/14/05 at 4:11 pm

Oh i remember flanelette came back in the 90s & there was even an advert on TV that had a jingle saying "Flanellete's Back". I occasionally wore flanellete shirts with Stussy pants & had long hair with an undercut shaved. Well i still have long hair now but just no undercut. I still thing those undercuts don't look that bad to be honest. Anyone still remember undercuts &/or Stussy pants

Written By: Margie1988 on 06/20/05 at 3:02 am

They have grown up to and expect violence, cynicism, political correctness, and a total cheapening of popular culture (reality shows, Bubblegum pop, teen queens, jac*a**, Tom Green, Eurotrip and all the other gross teen comedies, Nu Metal, Horrible movie remakes, tv shows turned into movies, video games turned into movies, every rapper going into movies, Vin Diesel, too many racing movies, Destinies Child and all those like them, Jlo and P Diddy, and the popularity of Spongebob and Lizzie McGuire).

I hate MOST reality shows....just about every show thats on TV these days IS a reality show..anywho... I rmr all of the shows u listed...chip n dale i loved those two! Ch-ch-ch-Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers! dont rmr the exact lyrics, but i can hum the song.  Oh, and I do rmr Camp Candy and Wish Kid, they used to start on FOX along with Bobby's World.  Tail Spin, Chip N Dale,  and Goof Troop I'd watch all the time on disney...Darkwing Duck was also one of my favorite shows growing up, I used to watch it every morning at around 5/6 before I went to school...i was so dedicated.  ALSo, doesnt anyone rmr that show ducktales? i loved singing the theme song.

Written By: memory on 06/26/05 at 1:42 pm

i was born in 1991.

Written By: nondiva234 on 06/29/05 at 7:14 pm

I'm a '91er too, memory. The 90s were a bit of a blur to me. I only vividly remember '99.

Written By: Guest on 07/15/05 at 11:26 am

Oh by the way i forgot to mention i was born in 1978. By the look of it i'm the oldest one on here. Old enough to be some of you people's dad, yikes that's sary. I remember 1990 to 1994 like it was only yesterday. Started highschool in 1991 & was 18 & legally able to drink by 1996. Reading all your posts has made me feel downright geriatric.

You was born in 1978, thats at the early end for sure. I myself was born in 1982.

What i loved most as a kid is Saturday mornings. A few of my favs were, Garfield and Friends, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Bugs Bunnys, Gummie Bears, and DuckTales.. their are so many more.. As for my first memories I would say around 1985 when I had to go to the doctor. However things dont come clear until 1987 when I started school. 1988-1996 is prob the core of my childhood and memeries.

Written By: jarjar23 on 07/28/05 at 4:11 am

I was born in May of 1990, so I litereally grew up in the 90s, lol.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/28/05 at 4:21 am

I was born in May of '82, so I feel a bit geriatric in here, too... but at least I can say I remember ALL of the 1990's. The 1980's I remember a good portion, but it's also a bit blurry on some ends. Yet, when recalled, some of the memories are very vivid from that time.

Check for new replies or respond here...