inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why The Nineties Beat the Zeroes

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/13/05 at 10:04 pm

Why the Early and Mid 90s beats Today

1.  You didn't have to be raped in order to get on a plane.
2.  Reality TV was COPS and The Real World, not every other show.
3.  Rap was music, not all of culture.
4.  Clinton was lovable even if a liar, Bush is likeable as a person I guess and is a dumba*s.
5.  Beavis and Butthead is better than South Park.
6.  Instead of having *NSYNC you had Boys II Men (ok that's almost as bad)
7.  Cartoon Network had those crappy Hanna Barbera cartoons instead of the even worse Japanimation craze.
8.  The world wasn't quite heading for Armageddon.
9.  Arcades weren't obsolete, and the world seemed bigger because Internet was smaller.
10.You didn't have to be a whore to sell pop music.
11.You could wear backpacks that weren't clear in California
12.O.J. Simpson and Michael Jackson trial vs. Every Black Celebrity There Is Trial.
13.Telephones could be seen without a magnifying glass.
14.Dance music was "get your booty on the floor", not "pull down your pants and lean back"
15.There was no Paris Hilton or Ashlee Simpson.

Subject: Re: Why The Nineties Beat the Zeroes

Written By: woops on 02/13/05 at 10:11 pm

Looney Tunes were on ABC ("Bugs & Tweety Show"), Nickelodeon, &  Cartoon Network  8)

MTV still played videos...well more than they do now

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/13/05 at 11:42 pm

Looney Tunes were on ABC ("Bugs & Tweety Show"), Nickelodeon, &  Cartoon Network  8)

those episodes that ABC released were censored. i noticed scenes where a toon got clobbered over the head by another toon were deleted and racial sterotypes also got axed.

Written By: nostaglic4the90s on 02/20/05 at 1:17 am

I think the 1990's have been superior to the 2000's in almost every area so far.  Granted, my own opinions might be skewed because my childhood years were in the 90's, and my teen years have been in the 00's.  I think almost everyone has better memories of their innocent childhood years than their teens.  But oh, well here it goes.  This list includes my own personal reasons as well as cultural reasons

Reasons why the '90s top the '00s:
1) 9/11 hadn't happened yet.  We didn't worry about terrorism day in and day out.  I know it was still going on, but it wasn't as prevalent as today. 
2) The rest of the world wasn't anti-America (I don't blame Mr. Bush for this, the fault rests on the stuck-up Europeans and the American liberals.)
3) I lived in Wisconsin, close to all my family and friends (moved to Colorado in 2001, and still hate it)
4) It was before I was exposed to drugs, alcohol, and the rest of the crap that high schoolers have to deal with.   >:(
5) Violence, sex, and profanity weren't as blatant on TV and in culture in general as they are today.
6) Everything wasn't about being a "pimp".
7) Music artists popularity were based on their talent, not their sex appeal.
8- Rap/hip-hop wasn't 90% of the music on the radio. 
9) MTV actually played music video's.
10) There were less wild fires and crazy weather (granted, I didn't live in Colorado yet)
11) There was less smog.
12) There was more snow in the winter. 
13) Developers hadn't yet invaded most of the farmland and open fields.
14) Reality shows were limited to a few, not every other program.
15) There were no "wardrobe malfunctions", Desperate Housewives, or erectile dysfunction ads on family television. 
16) Cartoons were quality programming....before Japanimation invaded and polluted the stations.
17) The Simpson's was still fresh, not recycled material.
18) SNL was still funny (at least, funnier than today)
19) People weren't expected to be as "politically correct".
20) Kids said the Pledge of Allegiance before school every day.
21) Christmas Carols were sung at school concerts.
22) They were actually called Christmas and Easter, not "Winter Break" and "Spring Break".
23) One word: Dunkaroo's
24) PBS had shows like Magic School Bus, Wishbone, Carmen Sandiego, and Kratts Creatures.
25) The Barney kids were cool (At least, cooler than they are now.  No, I don't watch it anymore, I caught a glimpse while babysitting  ;D ).
26) Basketball and sports in general were less violent, and athletes were better role models.
27) The USA Women's National Soccer Team was fun to watch.  And Michelle Akers was still on the team. 
28) Beanie Babies, yo-yo's, Giga-pets, GAK (that gooey Nickelodeon stuff), Pog's, and Furbee's were popular.
29) My friends and I played "Ghost in the Graveyard" and "Flashlight Tag" on many a summer night.
30) My whole extended family (both sides) lived in pretty much the same area, Southeastern Wisconsin.  Now were more spread apart. 
31) All my cousins dogs were alive...Corky, Pepper, Maggie, Sage, and my own puppie Mollie.  :\'(
32) The Packers won the SuperBowl (almost twice).  And Reggie White was still alive, God rest his soul.
33) Kids were less spoiled.    ;)
34) The ice cream truck made daily rounds through our neighborhood in the summer. 
35) Kids could walk to the park by themselves. 
36) Gasoline costs were closer to $1.00 than $2.00
37) Cable cost $20, not $50.
38) A movie ticket cost closer to $5.00 than $10.00
39) Technology was simpler.
40) Arcades were still around. 
41) Malls in general were better.  Nowadays, every store is either a slutty teen fashion store or a rap/hop-hop music store.
42) Instead of Father of the Pride, Desperate Housewives, The Real Gilligan's Island, Nip/Tuck, and Queer Eye, we had Seinfeld, Beevis and Butthead, Home Improvement, Friends, Full House, and The Cosby Show (early 90's)
43) Kids looked out the windows on long trips, not stared at a mini LCD screen watching dvd's.
44) E.R. was entertaining.
45) Who Wants to Be A Millionare was pretty much the only mega-money game show out there....now its outta control.  Regis was the best host, too.
46) Snow cones were 25 cents down at the gas station (right Matt?  :D )
47) Music in general was higher quality.  Yes, I admit teen pop of the late 90's sucked. 
48) SuperNES ruled the video game world.  It beats PS2, X-Box, and GameCube combined.  Back then video games were more about substance and fun than photorealism and violence. 
49) My great grandma hadn't passed away yet.    :\'(
50) Two of my best friend's parents were still together.
51) Kids weren't as lazy...we actually rode our bikes places, instead of having to be driven everywhere.
52) Bob Yuker was the Brewers announces on News Radio 620 WTMJ, and the Brewers were actually decent.  And County Stadium still existed.
53) I got to eat real Cream Puff's and corn on the cob every year at State Fair!
54) Lake Michigan wasn't polluted yet.
55) Like Full_House_Fan said, there was no Paris Hilton and Ashlee Simpson (and countless others like them).

That's all I can think of now.  Maybe some more will come to me later. :)

A few things that are better in the 2000's.
1) George W. Bush is a a better president than Bill "Liar" Clinton could hope to be. 
2) Sadaam Hussein's dictatorship is over.
3) That's about it.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 1:25 am

I think the 1990's have been superior to the 2000's in almost every area so far.  Granted, my own opinions might be skewed because my childhood years were in the 90's, and my teen years have been in the 00's.  I think almost everyone has better memories of their innocent childhood years than their teens.  But oh, well here it goes.  This list includes my own personal reasons as well as cultural reasons

1) 9/11 hadn't happened yet.  We didn't worry about terrorism day in and day out.  I know it was still going on, but it wasn't as prevalent as today. 
2) The rest of the world wasn't anti-America (I don't blame Mr. Bush for this, the fault rests on the stuck-up Europeans and the American liberals.)
3) I lived in Wisconsin, close to all my family and friends (moved to Colorado in 2001, and still hate it)
4) It was before I was exposed to drugs, alcohol, and the rest of the crap that high schoolers have to deal with.  >:(
5) Violence, sex, and profanity weren't as blatant on TV and in culture in general as they are today.
10) There were less wild fires and crazy weather (granted, I didn't live in Colorado yet)
11) There was less smog.
15) There were no "wardrobe malfunctions", Desperate Housewives, or erectile dysfunction ads on family television. 
16) Cartoons were quality programming....before Japanimation invaded and polluted the stations.
22) They were actually called Christmas and Easter, not "Winter Break" and "Spring Break".
24) PBS had shows like Magic School Bus, Wishbone, Carmen Sandiego, and Kratts Creatures.
25) The Barney kids were cool (At least, cooler than they are now.  No, I don't watch it anymore, I caught a glimpse while babysitting).
26) Basketball and sports in general were less violent, and athletes were better role models.
27) The USA Women's National Soccer Team was fun to watch.  And Michelle Akers was still on the team. 
28) Beanie Babies, yo-yo's, Giga-pets, GAK (that gooey Nickelodeon stuff), Pog's, and Furbee's were popular.
29) My friends and I played "Ghost in the Graveyard" and "Flashlight Tag" on many a summer night.
30) My whole extended family (both sides) lived in pretty much the same area, Southeastern Wisconsin.  Now were more spread apart. 
31) All my cousins dogs were alive...Corky, Pepper, Maggie, Sage, and my own puppie Mollie.  :\'(
32) The Packers won the SuperBowl (almost twice).  And Reggie White was still alive, God rest his soul.
33) Kids were less spoiled.  ;)
34) The ice cream truck made daily rounds through our neighborhood in the summer. 
41) Malls in general were better.  Nowadays, every store is either a slutty teen fashion store or a rap/hop-hop music store.
42) Instead of Father of the Pride, Desperate Housewives, The Real Gilligan's Island, Nip/Tuck, and Queer Eye, we had Seinfeld, Beevis and Butthead, Home Improvement, Friends, Full House, and The Cosby Show (early 90's)
43) Kids looked out the windows on long trips, not stared at a mini LCD screen watching dvd's.
45) Who Wants to Be A Millionare was pretty much the only mega-money game show out there....now its outta control.  Regis was the best host, too.
46) Snow cones were 25 cents down at the gas station (right Matt?  ;D )
47) Music in general was higher quality.  Yes, I admit teen pop of the late 90's sucked. 
48) SuperNES ruled the video game world.  It beats PS2, X-Box, and GameCube combined.  Back then video games were more about substance and fun than photorealism and violence. 
49) My great grandma hadn't passed away yet.  :\'(
51) Kids weren't as lazy...we actually rode our bikes places, instead of having to be driven everywhere.
52) Bob Yuker was the Brewers announces on News Radio 620 WTMJ, and the Brewers were actually decent.  And County Stadium still existed.
53) I got to eat real Cream Puff's every year at State Fair (LOL, Mark we are the cream puff junkies  ;D )
55) Like Full_House_Fan said, there was no Paris Hilton and Ashlee Simpson (and countless others like them).

1) George W. Bush is a a better president than Bill "Liar" Clinton could hope to be. 
3) That's about it.

I agree with most everything ... save Bush but I won't get into that.  This isn't the Politics board :)

-FHF :)

Written By: 90s boy on 02/20/05 at 3:15 am

in the 80's u Had Tiffany and Debbie Gibson in the 90's you had Britany Christina Mandy and Jessica... now who knows u have.... Alanis Morissette was angrey and bitter and naked heh now she happy and her music's not that great anymore We had big time girl groups like TLC Spice Girls ECT now we don't have any.... Muice was better then in the 90's then it is now......horer movies are tearbul but in the 90's we had such good movies such as scream and i know what you did last summer.....reatley TV wasent all over the place..........we had a good presdent even though he lied heh now we don't have such a great one ....................baggy was in and was a cool look now i have no idea what the hell people wear today..............the simpsons were more funnyer back in the 90's now there not as great as they were but i still love them.....................we had such sotres as Ames Caldor Bradlees Jamesway Woolworth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise and a growing Target Kmart Kohls Macys JC Penney now we have War Mart opening all over the place putting stores out of bussenes target and kohls r doing fine and i hope they KILL WAL MART WICH IS THE CRAPPEST STORE AROUND!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( and Kmarts struggen ................then we had Crystal Pepsi now it's Pepsi Holladay Spice wich tasted Horrble it was like eating a chrismas tree lol....

Written By: 90s boy on 02/20/05 at 3:25 am

Debbie Gibson is now Called Debra Gibson Tiffany wen from drug Attic in the 90's to posing in play boy Music was real and not disposable like it is today Paula Abdul was a singer now she's on Amercan Idol MTV played Videos and funny cartoons now it all TV shows same wit VH1 lip scing was a crime made by Milly vilely in 1990 now Ashley Simpson dose it and people still lover her Celb's Like Madonna were sexing things up back then now it all Paris hiltion who i cant stand she looks like a pelican lol

Written By: 90s boy on 02/21/05 at 3:57 am

Cause there was more stuff to do

Written By: Punk Daddy on 02/21/05 at 6:57 am

>>>15.There was no Paris Hilton or Ashlee Simpson.<<<

So glad I'm not a young person in this era for this reason and this reason alone.

Let me say it here. Ashlee Simpson cannot sing.

Written By: RadioStarWMVL on 02/21/05 at 7:07 pm

Why the 90s beat the 00s!? THAT'S SIMPLE!!!!!

*The 90s had Sublime, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Gin Blossoms, Violent Femmes, 

*The 00s have ASHLEE SIMPSON, Linkin Park, and Good Charlotte

*The 90s had Jewel, Green Day, and No Doubt before they sold out

*The 90s had Empire Records and Clueless to define the teens of that era

*The 00s have crap crap and crap (You got Served? Not another Teen Movie? SAD)
              ***I will succeed that Garden State and Ghost World were pretty good

*The 90s had a harmless sex crazed Clinton (and the smarter Bush senior)

*The 00s have power hungry evil Orwellian Cheney and his puppet Dubya.

*The 90s had heroin

*The 00s have coke and ecstasy

*The 90s had Full House and Seinfield

*The 00s have wife swaping and plastic surgery

*The 90s had alternative and grunge

*The 00s have pathetic whiners (cough cough...EMO)

*In the 90s I was a kid in Virginia riding my bike to playgrounds with cousins, starting friendship clubs, looking for ghost and being in school plays with out being afraid of being shot

*The 00s the eight year old down the street got stabbed to death by a guy who hated white people and I moved to New York City to go to college, be penningless, have responsibility and have to worry about the reinstitution of the draft that Bush keeps denieing while promising absurd number of troops in Iraq and now Iran

*In the 90s activism included enviromental causes

*The 00s have the government trying to outlaw equal rights under the law for those that happen to be in love with someone of the same gender

And furthermore I have to agree with the person who said earlier about the only reality shows being "The Real World" and "Cops" instead of everything on TV.

Written By: 90s boy on 02/23/05 at 6:23 am

*The 90s had Sublime, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Gin Blossoms, Violent Femmes, 

*The 00s have ASHLEE SIMPSON, Linkin Park, and Good Charlotte

*The 90s had Jewel, Green Day, and No Doubt before they sold out

*The 90s had Empire Records and Clueless to define the teens of that era

*The 00s have crap crap and crap (You got Served? Not another Teen Movie? SAD)
              ***I will succeed that Garden State and Ghost World were pretty good

*The 90s had a harmless sex crazed Clinton (and the smarter Bush senior)

*The 00s have power hungry evil Orwellian Cheney and his puppet Dubya.

*The 90s had heroin

*The 90s had alternative and grunge

*The 00s have pathetic whiners (cough cough...EMO)

*In the 90s I was a kid in Virginia riding my bike to playgrounds with cousins, starting friendship clubs, looking for ghost and being in school plays with out being afraid of being shot

*The 00s the eight year old down the street got stabbed to death by a guy who hated white people and I moved to New York City to go to college, be penningless, have responsibility and have to worry about the reinstitution of the draft that Bush keeps denieing while promising absurd number of troops in Iraq and now Iran

*In the 90s activism included enviromental causes

*The 00s have the government trying to outlaw equal rights under the law for those that happen to be in love with someone of the same gender

And furthermore I have to agree with the person who said earlier about the only reality shows being "The Real World" and "Cops" instead of everything on TV.

hey a**hole No Doubt and green day did not sell out YOU FUC@#R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i don't blam them for changeing there sound if they dident they would have any hit recoreds

Written By: 90s boy on 02/23/05 at 6:33 am

in the 90's u had great horror movies like Scream 1 2 and 3 but i think 3 came out in 2000???? i know what you did last summer and urban leagen

00's you have such crap as Freddie VS Jason The Village and such

90's you had Great Dance Music such as Rhythm is a dancer Just A Little bit and Vogue

00's god know what we  have all i know is that it's hhorribletoday

90's you had Crystal Pepsi

00's Pepsi hHolidayspice YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

90's we aacutelyhad sscriptedTV

00's it all realty TV >:( >:( >:( >:( :\'( :\'( :-\\ ??? ??? ::) ::) :o :( :D :D >:( >:( >:( 3:-o

this proves that we need the 90's to make a comeback music wise fashon wise toy wise movie wise TV Wise eetc

Written By: BlondeyFHFan6 on 02/23/05 at 4:22 pm

4) It was before I was exposed to drugs, alcohol, and the rest of the crap that high schoolers have to deal with.   >:(
11) There was less smog.
25) The Barney kids were cool (At least, cooler than they are now.  No, I don't watch it anymore, I caught a glimpse while babysitting  ;D ).
33) Kids were less spoiled.    ;)
46) Snow cones were 25 cents down at the gas station (right Matt?  :D )
49) My great grandma hadn't passed away yet.    :\'(
53) I got to eat real Cream Puff's and corn on the cob every year at State Fair!

3) That's about it.

I agree w/  everything you said!  ;D

The 90s are WAY better than the 00's. In the 90s, kids didn't talk back to their parents like they do today.  You didn't hear of 6th graders getting pregnant. (Yes I know of a 6th grader whos having a baby) Fox kids ruled.. unlike the Fox box which sucks. ( I baysat my cousins once and he was watching the Fox box.. the shows didn't impress me at all. ..*shakes head* Too bad the 00's can't be more like the 90s....

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/23/05 at 4:28 pm

I agree w/  everything you said!  ;D

The 90s are WAY better than the 00's. In the 90s, kids didn't talk back to their parents like they do today.  You didn't hear of 6th graders getting pregnant. (Yes I know of a 6th grader whos having a baby) Fox kids ruled.. unlike the Fox box which sucks. ( I baysat my cousins once and he was watching the Fox box.. the shows didn't impress me at all. ..*shakes head* Too bad the 00's can't be more like the 90s....

Blondey, don't you think the thing that dates the nineties most is politics?  The culture a lot different, although the late 90s are kinda like now.  Early to mid 90s was the real 90s.

1992-1996 FOREVER!

-FHF  :)

Written By: BlondeyFHFan6 on 02/23/05 at 5:04 pm

Yeah, I agree w/ you on that one!

Hmm. I wonder what the 2010's wil be like?  ???

Written By: SkyLowLow on 02/24/05 at 12:02 am

As a non-American, non-European, non-Liberal I must say you're floating in a boat on DE-NILE.

Written By: Kyle on 02/24/05 at 8:04 pm

I WANT THE 90's BACK!!!  I"M AM GETTING SO SICK OF ALL THIS REALITY TV CRAP, EMO CRAP, EVEYTHING IN THIS F**CKING DECADE!  >:( >:( :\'( :D :D  When will all the good stuff come back, such as stuff we can actually dance to, news we can rely on, etc.  I Love the '90s and I wish it wil come back, NOW!

Written By: jiminy on 02/24/05 at 8:34 pm

in the 80's u Had Tiffany and Debbie Gibson in the 90's you had Britany Christina Mandy and Jessica... now who knows u have.... Alanis Morissette was angrey and bitter and naked heh now she happy and her music's not that great anymore We had big time girl groups like TLC Spice Girls ECT now we don't have any.... Muice was better then in the 90's then it is now......horer movies are tearbul but in the 90's we had such good movies such as scream and i know what you did last summer.....reatley TV wasent all over the place..........we had a good presdent even though he lied heh now we don't have such a great one ....................baggy was in and was a cool look now i have no idea what the hell people wear today..............the simpsons were more funnyer back in the 90's now there not as great as they were but i still love them.....................we had such sotres as Ames Caldor Bradlees Jamesway Woolworth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise and a growing Target Kmart Kohls Macys JC Penney now we have War Mart opening all over the place putting stores out of bussenes target and kohls r doing fine and i hope they KILL WAL MART WICH IS THE CRAPPEST STORE AROUND!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( and Kmarts struggen ................then we had Crystal Pepsi now it's Pepsi Holladay Spice wich tasted Horrble it was like eating a chrismas tree lol....
Don't buy any of your music from WALMART they censor the CDs they sell but yet you can by rated R movies uncut

Written By: 90s boy on 02/25/05 at 7:22 am

Yeah, I agree w/ you on that one!

Hmm. I wonder what the 2010's wil be like?  ???
im scared to see what thats gonna be like + i'll be 22 by then

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/26/05 at 12:19 am

im scared to see what thats gonna be like + i'll be 22 by then

I'll be pushing 30 by 2018!  :o

Written By: 90s boy on 02/26/05 at 2:21 am

I'll be pushing 30 by 2018!  :o
o cool u were born in 1988 too caus ei'' be pushing 30 in 2018 to lol

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/26/05 at 3:18 pm

o cool u were born in 1988 too caus ei'' be pushing 30 in 2018 to lol

No I'm 90 born but I'll be 28 which is close.  ;D

Written By: MotleyCrueFan\'05 on 02/02/06 at 11:00 am

I think the 1990's have been superior to the 2000's in almost every area so far.

Written By: Roadgeek on 02/02/06 at 2:30 pm

First of all, the 90's were the best decade ever! Now, the list:

1. Television cartoons were quality and not anime central.
2. Nickelodeon was rockin' in the 90's but terrible in the 00's. Whoever thought replacing the funny baby Rugrats with dramatic pre-teen Rugrats must have taken 5 Tylenol PM's at 3:00 AM when he thought of that.
3. Malls and other stores were much better and diverse. Now every store at the mall are stores selling slutty ultra trendy clothes.
4. My favorite mall Carolina Circle Mall was open. In the 00's, it's demolished and a Wal-Mart will be opening on the site soon. :\'(
5. Not as much war.
6. Not as many hurricanes.
7. Video games and computer games were simpler.

I'll add more when I think of them.

Written By: Juan on 02/02/06 at 3:54 pm

"2) The rest of the world wasn't anti-America (I don't blame Mr. Bush for this, the fault rests on the stuck-up Europeans and the American liberals.)"

I'm argentinean, and this ANTI-YANQUI ("yanqui" came from "yankee" which means here american) spirit, its an ooolddddd thing
bush increase it.

At first, many american bands were afraid to come here 'cause our "anti american" spirit. And this was in the early 90's. In the 00's this spirit increased.
That's why Dave Mustaine fired his manager, 'cause he didn't want to come here.
It happened also with many other bands.

And something, to clarify...your country's name is not America, AMERICA IS THE CONTINENT, your name is United States, or USA.

but don't worry

In my hood we think "The americans are not bad, their politicians are bad"
And for me that's the truth

Juan

Written By: Satish on 02/02/06 at 9:32 pm

I feel that a lot of these posts need me to respond to them.

I disagree. "South Park" is much better. I thought "Beavis and Butthead" wasn't all that good, actually.

Again, I disagree. To me, "Nip/Tuck" is one of the best shows ever. And the 00s have lots of other great shows like "24"and "The West Wing". Also, "Full House" and "Home Improvement" were absolutely horrible shows. They make me gag just thinking about them.

*The 90s had heroin

I've got news for ya; coke and ecstasy were around plenty in the 90s, and if you take a look around, heroin is around plenty, today. And are you saying that heroin is BETTER than coke and ecstasy? All drugs are terrible!

Again, look at what I said before. "Full House" was horrible, and "Nip/Tuck" RULES!

in the 90's u had great horror movies like Scream 1 2 and 3 but i think 3 came out in 2000???? i know what you did last summer and urban leagen

I hated I Know What You Did Last Summer. It was just SO lame!

90's you had Crystal Pepsi

You know, Crystal Pepsi wasn't that great. They would have kept it around if it was any good.

Written By: Banks on 02/03/06 at 11:45 pm

Well...Im not going to get 'right' into it with you because Im not really into preaching or talking politics...But...

I live in Australia, and I have to say that most people who live in 'western' countries dont hate the USA, they just think the country is being ill-led by a man who's who's presidency was going to be remembered for him choking on a pretzel before 9/11. Also, many people dont like the fact that the USA can more or less dictate how the world should be and have aims to make it that way...Your way isnt always the best way for everyone....

Now, Ill leave it at that...

Back on track...

My childhood was in the 70's, and Ive lived through 3 decade changes, and I can tell you that every time we get around half way through a decade, people start to look back on the previous decade as being 'better', especially if you were a child or a teen during that time. I could point out thousands of reasons as to why the 70's was better than all the decades that have come since. I could also point out why the 80's were better than the 90's and why the 90's were better than the 00's, and someone from the 00's will be able to point out why the 00's were better than the twenty-teens.

I can give you some good reasons why any decade before the 00's was better than the 00's:

We had no real fears of being attacked by our nations enemies on our own streets. (Okay, so we had the fears of nuclear holocaust, but after 1975 most people didnt really believe it would ever happen).

The world seemed so much larger and fresh.

The planet Earth seemed to want us here and wasnt throwing up natural disasters left right and center.

And, excepting the 2nd half of the 90's, the music was better.

AN

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/09/06 at 11:15 am

I think many of your assumptions are seen through the rosey tint of nostalgia..lol. The environment was almost as polluted, kids were just as rude, there was almost as much profanity and violence - just not as widespread since the internet.etc wasn't as developed. Though there are many things I can't understand...like kids not getting enough exercise. I can understand fat adults, but kids? And one can't blame TV and video-games on fat kids, I remember we used to love to play sport, and get outdoors as a kid growing up in the 1990s yet still played videogames.etc.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 11:16 am

Well...Im not going to get 'right' into it with you because Im not really into preaching or talking politics...But...

I live in Australia, and I have to say that most people who live in 'western' countries dont hate the USA, they just think the country is being ill-led by a man who's who's presidency was going to be remembered for him choking on a pretzel before 9/11. Also, many people dont like the fact that the USA can more or less dictate how the world should be and have aims to make it that way...Your way isnt always the best way for everyone....

Now, Ill leave it at that...

Back on track...

My childhood was in the 70's, and Ive lived through 3 decade changes, and I can tell you that every time we get around half way through a decade, people start to look back on the previous decade as being 'better', especially if you were a child or a teen during that time. I could point out thousands of reasons as to why the 70's was better than all the decades that have come since. I could also point out why the 80's were better than the 90's and why the 90's were better than the 00's, and someone from the 00's will be able to point out why the 00's were better than the twenty-teens.

I can give you some good reasons why any decade before the 00's was better than the 00's:

We had no real fears of being attacked by our nations enemies on our own streets. (Okay, so we had the fears of nuclear holocaust, but after 1975 most people didnt really believe it would ever happen).

The world seemed so much larger and fresh.

The planet Earth seemed to want us here and wasnt throwing up natural disasters left right and center.

And, excepting the 2nd half of the 90's, the music was better.

AN

1997, 1998 and 1999 are worse than now, pop culturally.

Overall, the Big Bang to Sept. 10, 2001 beats now  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 11:19 am

I think many of your assumptions are seen through the rosey tint of nostalgia..lol. The environment was almost as polluted, kids were just as rude, there was almost as much profanity and violence - just not as widespread since the internet.etc wasn't as developed. Though there are many things I can't understand...like kids not getting enough exercise. I can understand fat adults, but kids? And one can't blame TV and video-games on fat kids, I remember we used to love to play sport, and get outdoors as a kid growing up in the 1990s yet still played videogames.etc.

Do you mean media profanity and violence?

Kids today definitely cuss more than even early '90s kids, but actual crime rates have dropped overall (not sure about youth crime, I've heard it was up in the '90s.  Not sure if that's true anymore).  The crime rates are leveling off I hear, but they're really low. 

As for rude kids, I think the '80s crushes today!  In the '80s, nobody cared about what they said.  Today, everyone's so hyper-sensitive they'll make a loser out of you for speaking your mind!

Written By: Roadgeek on 02/09/06 at 2:24 pm

RIP
The 90's
Born: January 1, 1990
Died: December 31, 1999

We'll miss you. :\'(

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 2:42 pm

RIP
The 90's
Born: January 1, 1990
Died: December 31, 1999

We'll miss you. :\'(

I miss the '80s too, even though I wasn't there.  I'm sad that 1980 is nearly 30 years ago.  THIRTY YEARS!

Written By: Classie83 on 02/09/06 at 8:15 pm

1.  You didn't have to be raped in order to get on a plane. LOL. I know!color]
2.  Reality TV was COPS and The Real World, not every other show. LOL!
3.  Rap was music, not all of culture. Rap music was music, not about video hoes!
4.  Clinton was lovable even if a liar, Bush is likeable as a person I guess and is a dumba*s.
5.  Beavis and Butthead is better than South Park.  Nah...Don't think so. At least South Park has a "point" to its insanity.
6.  Instead of having *NSYNC you had Boys II Men (ok that's almost as bad)  Hey, don't diss the Boyz! lol7.  Cartoon Network had those crappy Hanna Barbera cartoons instead of the even worse Japanimation craze.
9.  Arcades weren't obsolete, and the world seemed bigger because Internet was smaller.
12.O.J. Simpson and Michael Jackson trial vs. Every Black Celebrity There Is Trial.
14.Dance music was "get your booty on the floor", not "pull down your pants and lean back"

Lol...Funny post. I agree with most of it.

Written By: Classie83 on 02/09/06 at 8:23 pm

I miss the '80s too, even though I wasn't there.  I'm sad that 1980 is nearly 30 years ago.  THIRTY YEARS!

Hey Hey, not 30 years ago! Only twenty six. You're making me feel old right now...  :-\\

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/09/06 at 9:46 pm

Hey Hey, not 30 years ago! Only twenty six. You're making me feel old right now...  :-\\

I meant in less than four years, 1980 will be. 

And 1990, my birthyear will be 20 years ago in 4 years.

Written By: deadrockstar on 02/09/06 at 11:34 pm

Wayne's World!  8)

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/10/06 at 3:38 am

Do you mean media profanity and violence?

Kids today definitely cuss more than even early '90s kids, but actual crime rates have dropped overall (not sure about youth crime, I've heard it was up in the '90s.  Not sure if that's true anymore).  The crime rates are leveling off I hear, but they're really low. 

As for rude kids, I think the '80s crushes today!  In the '80s, nobody cared about what they said.  Today, everyone's so hyper-sensitive they'll make a loser out of you for speaking your mind!

I totally understand the swearing thing as well having lived in just the right period to notice the change. Back when I was school even as late as 1996 (when I was 10) swearing was rare, while now its a normal thing for 10 year olds to curse like sailors. As for kids in the 80s being rudes, it seems to be back then being a rebel and talking back to your parents was seen as 'being cool' while it is not as much these days...(well maybe not in my social group lol)

Written By: mOTLEYcRUEfAN'05 on 02/14/06 at 2:47 pm

First of all, the 90's were the best decade ever! Now, the list:

1. Television cartoons were quality and not anime central.
2. Nickelodeon was rockin' in the 90's but terrible in the 00's. Whoever thought replacing the funny baby Rugrats with dramatic pre-teen Rugrats must have taken 5 Tylenol PM's at 3:00 AM when he thought of that.
3. Malls and other stores were much better and diverse. Now every store at the mall are stores selling slutty ultra trendy clothes.
4. My favorite mall Carolina Circle Mall was open. In the 00's, it's demolished and a Wal-Mart will be opening on the site soon. :\'(
5. Not as much war.
6. Not as many hurricanes.
7. Video games and computer games were simpler.

I'll add more when I think of them.

8. The local library still had bookmobile service. Bookmobile service got terminated in late '99
9. Kids played OUTSIDE!! for hours
10. Schools weren't cutting extracirricular activities
11. My favorite mall Lakehurst Mall near Chicago was still open.
12. You did NOT have hundereds of channels (too many) on your TV. That's why TV today SUCKS!!

Written By: Roadgeek on 02/14/06 at 3:43 pm

11. My favorite mall Lakehurst Mall near Chicago was still open.

Your number 11 fits perfectly into my number 4.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/15/06 at 10:47 am

There was still a K-Mart around here in the 90's and i've always been one of the rare few who actually likes K-Mart better than Wal-Mart

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/15/06 at 11:12 am

1.  You didn't have to be raped in order to get on a plane.
2.  Reality TV was COPS and The Real World, not every other show.
3.  Rap was music, not all of culture.
6.  Instead of having *NSYNC you had Boys II Men (ok that's almost as bad)
7.  Cartoon Network had those crappy Hanna Barbera cartoons instead of the even worse Japanimation craze.

Well put

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/15/06 at 11:20 am

Well put

I'm so proud of myself for writing that!

Except Bush isn't really that likeable.  ;D

Written By: MotleyCrueFan'05 on 02/23/06 at 10:28 am

The media was NOT always getting into celebrities' lives so much

Written By: gmann on 02/23/06 at 11:24 am

The media was NOT always getting into celebrities' lives so much

Maybe, or maybe not.  "Entertainment Tonight" and its spawn have been around for eons. Infotainment. As Don Henley once said, "we all know crap is king."  As for celebrities, well...they *are* celebrities. What would they do if they didn't have something to promote or expose?

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 02/23/06 at 1:16 pm

here is my thoughts Why the Nineties Beat the Zeros!

90's good music like rap,grunge,pop and of course contery*SP had good songs like lithium,opp,waterfalls until it sleep and don't take the girl!

00's music is not mostly pop with stupid songs witch i don't be named here!

90's tv was better with cosby,roseanne,unsovled mysteries,quantum leap,and the X-files

00's all realty and other stuff

90's cartoon network was a good nework to show classic cartoons and sometimes current cartoons

00's cartoon network is now a nick jr.clone

90's MTV showing videos good shows like bevis and butthead and others programming like the week in rock and spring break (boy spring break is cool)

00's MTV is now showing stupid programming like road rules and the real world and that god awful next and spring break is now for idiots

90's VH1 ones owned and good stuff like my generation game show and rock and roll jepordy (pre probst survivor)

00's VH1 now is a ET knock off with celeberty dishes

90's wrestling had 3 feds WWF,WCW and ECW

00's wrestling is now 2 feds WWE.TNA (WCW and ECW) brought out by the WWE in 01

and last not least 90's we had a good president,bill clinton sure he lied but he mad america stong and proud

00's US president George Bush who dumb down america and he is a dumb***

Written By: MotleyCrueFan'05 on 02/23/06 at 8:02 pm

Logos in the 90s still had the boxy look

Written By: 90's kid on 02/24/06 at 12:32 am

well the 90's beat the zeros beacuase ...... ten reasons
1.clinton was in office
2.mtv had VIDEOS instead of  STUPID REALITY SHOWS
3. i was a kid of course
4.nick at night was the best (snick)
5.full house, saved by the bell, are you afriad of the dark? original power rangers
6.cool commercials such as the infamous "hungry hungry hippos ad'....
7. tupac and biggie and kurt cobain  were still alive.
8.the yankees were good now they suck
9.no wars compared to know it was more peacefull and calm.
10.BEACUASE IT WAS THE 90'S WOO WOO ;D ;D

Written By: whistledog on 02/24/06 at 12:38 am

The zeros beat the 90's

Written By: MotleyCrueFan'05 on 02/27/06 at 2:11 pm

ESPN was NOT showing poker every day

Written By: rich1981 on 02/27/06 at 7:20 pm

I didn't have to worry about supporting the family yet.

Written By: MotleyCrueFan'05 on 03/03/06 at 1:00 pm

People were more caring
The public pool in my town was open till 9pm NOT 6pm
The ice cream truck came to my nieghborhood
Urban sprawl wasn't eating up land like cancer
Fox Kids rocked!!! This Fox box crap is now anime central
there were no Tv ratings (until '97)

Check for new replies or respond here...