inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Arcades

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 4:24 pm

I miss arcades.  In the nineties I went to places like Chucky Cheese more but the old school computer and Nintendo games were still fresh enough you could play em without looking like a nerd. 

Super Mario Bros. 3 forever!

Subject: Re: Arcades

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/20/05 at 4:34 pm

Pac-Man is my favorite.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 4:44 pm

Pac-Man is my favorite.

Pac-Man's a classic, but Mario 3 is the best old school games get, IMO.

Written By: gord on 02/20/05 at 5:18 pm

My favorite was Space Invaders, many of my quarters went down it's throat :)

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/20/05 at 5:35 pm

I used to go to all kinds of arcades, there was one here called marcs pizza place or something, and another aladdins's castle. I found some of my old tokens a few months ago. I used to love the car driving games. I went to chucky cheezes as well.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/20/05 at 10:21 pm

Donkey Kong was fun too.

Written By: AL-B on 02/21/05 at 2:42 am

The best arcades were places that also had pool tables.

Written By: krakboi on 02/21/05 at 3:21 am

Arcade were cool, but the games really started to suck in the 90s....I collect arcade games now, and generally stop 1984 or so.

The cosoles in the 90s were great though, that is for sure.  I loved Madden and NHL on my Genesis.

Written By: 90s boy on 02/21/05 at 3:51 am

lol did anyone rember going to Discovery Zone when they were a kid lol they went out in 1999 only after 11 years of bussenes lol

Written By: 1992thousand on 02/21/05 at 10:27 am

man i miss arcades, i remember going to Champions and playing street fighter, mortal kombat, samurai showdown, virtua fighter. Then i remember in the mid 90s the 3-d arcade racers(Daytona USA, Cruisin USA) got popular right before arcades died.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/05 at 6:44 pm

I also miss arcades when I went on the weekend to one of my local ones got a $10 roll of quarters and had fun playing PacMan. :)

Howard

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/21/05 at 9:40 pm

lol did anyone rember going to Discovery Zone when they were a kid lol they went out in 1999 only after 11 years of bussenes lol

Yes i do.  They're out of business?

OT but Dunkin Donuts are becoming harder to find. It's all about Krispy Creme now (I don't have a problem with that!  :P )

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/05 at 9:57 pm

Yes i do.  They're out of business?

OT but Dunkin Donuts are becoming harder to find. It's all about Krispy Creme now (I don't have a problem with that!  :P )

Yea, I think they're gone FHF, I haven't seen one since the late '90s. We had one right around here, now it's a chucky cheese.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/21/05 at 10:00 pm

Yea, I think they're gone FHF, I haven't seen one since the late '90s. We had one right around here, now it's a chucky cheese.

You live in Cali?

Written By: Webstor on 02/21/05 at 11:14 pm

Arcades were excellent.

I remember the old "Star Wars" game that you would sit inside....it waa made by Atari...
Obi Wan's voice would say "The Force will be with you, always..."
and then you would fly into the pit fight from the end of star wars and try to blow up the death star.  The graphics were really old though.....it was just a bunch of blue lines....

Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Space Invaders.....those were good times...

We had a place called Fun N Pizza that my mom would drop a bunch of us off at on saturdays and we would spend all day there eating pizza and blowing our allowances on games.

I have tried to find an old school arcade, but cannot find one.  The closest we have to it is Chuck E Cheese.....but u are not allowed in unless you actually have a child with you....
We also have 2 places called Jillians and Dave N Busters...but they are arcades for adults, and have mostly newer stuff...its all centered around a bar.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/22/05 at 11:00 am

You live in Cali?

Cali, hell no lol, I live around Cleveland, Ohio.

Written By: Webstor on 02/22/05 at 2:54 pm

me too dude

Cleveland rocks

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/22/05 at 4:31 pm

The closest we have to an arcade (currently) is the Playidum, over in Missauga, Ontario.

I live in nearby Oakville.

Been to the place a couple of times, and it's a pretty cool place.

Written By: Howard on 02/22/05 at 5:02 pm

Arcades were fun in the 90's.playing Pac Man,Donkey Kong,and Space Invaders were my favorites. :)

Howard

Written By: SkyLowLow on 02/24/05 at 10:52 pm

I also miss arcades when I went on the weekend to one of my local ones got a $10 roll of quarters and had fun playing PacMan. :)

Howard

Me and the old man recently found a sit down version of Pacman in my hometown. We played that mother for a while and we both did pretty damn good.

It continues to be the ONLY game my old man will play.

Written By: 1992thousand on 02/25/05 at 10:03 am

We have a Dave and Buster's here in my county. But itll still be over 4  weeks til im old enough to go there w/o the supervision of a 25+ year old, lol. So glad to be leaving behind the realm of "adult age yet underage" ORRRR "come back on thursday when we'll be charging you extra for the money you won't be spending on alcohol!"

Written By: whistledog on 04/29/06 at 9:09 pm

My all-time favourite Arcade Game was Double Dragon, and it's sequel Double Dragon II.  I kicked ass at both games. 

I didn't really like Double Dragon 3 because you had to insert quarters to buy weapons.  It was a waste of money, becuase you'd always get hit before you had a chance to use the weapon

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/01/06 at 12:18 am

They had Double Dragon at our roller rink and the boys LOVED that. I never got all that enthused over it. I liked playing the old style pacman on those table like arcades where you sat down and looked down at the screen while using the joy stick. Used to play that in smoke filled restaurant bars before smoking was banned indoors (in California) in the early 90's.

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/06 at 12:24 am

I liked playing the old style pacman on those table like arcades where you sat down and looked down at the screen while using the joy stick. Used to play that in smoke filled restaurant bars before smoking was banned indoors (in California) in the early 90's.

Those are called Table Top Arcades :)

http://images.webmagic.com/klov.com/images/M/kMs._Pac-Man.jpg

Written By: nally on 05/01/06 at 12:25 am

Those are called Table Top Arcades :)

http://images.webmagic.com/klov.com/images/M/kMs._Pac-Man.jpg

Oh yes, I used to play a Ms Pac Man machine like that all the time. 8) That's a fun game

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/01/06 at 12:26 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/06 at 12:33 am

Table Tops were also known as Cocktail Tables.  Here's Pong from 1975 :D

http://images.webmagic.com/klov.com/images/11/1102271028.jpg

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 3:43 am

They used to have those table-tops in bars, take-away places, fish 'n' chip shops. Sadly, got with all of the rest of the retro 80s.  :(

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/06 at 3:48 am

They used to have those table-tops in bars, take-away places, fish 'n' chip shops. Sadly, got with all of the rest of the retro 80s.  :(

You can still find them in those places sometimes.  Some of the Pizza take-out places around here have Table-Top Pac-man, Galaga and Tetris.  They are used as time fillers while people wait for their pizza :D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 4:48 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/01/06 at 1:49 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/06 at 8:10 pm

Those are for them lounge lizards with the gold chains and chest hair showing with their polyester shirts ;D

It's funny you mention that.  Some of the sites I found on Pong Cocktail tables, had pictures of guys like that.  Guys with hairy chests, Gold chains, medalions, mingling with blonde girls with white dresses on

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/02/06 at 1:40 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/06 at 1:46 am

Oh, wow, that's really weird..  ;D

I also had Larry Dallas in mind when I thought of that, that guy from "Three's Company" who I "kinda" had a crush on as a kid (don't ask me why - please don't  ;D )

http://www.geocities.com/tcsnowster/CreditRichardKline2.jpg

LOL He was the typical 70's Lounge Lizard.  He always had his chest hair hanging out, and gold chains around his neck.  Whenever I watch Three's Company, I get a kick out of it ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/02/06 at 2:00 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/06 at 12:17 pm

Yeah, he was SO cheesy. I think that was one of the reasons I watched Three's Company is because I liked his character a lot. This must explain for my affinity towards men with chest hair popping out LOL  ;D

The Chest Hair look was big in the 70's and early 80's.  You don't hardly see it anymore

Remember that old episode where Larry trying to stall this old lady while Jack and Janet were doing something, so Larry says to the woman "That's a lovely scent you have on.  What is it"?  And she says "Ben Gay" ;D

Everytime I see Ben Gay in the stores, I always think of Larry ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/02/06 at 4:07 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Check for new replies or respond here...