inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mortal Kombat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/20/05 at 4:35 pm

Anyone here remember Mortal Kombat, the video game or movie?

Subject: Re: Mortal Kombat

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/20/05 at 5:33 pm

Anyone here remember Mortal Kombat, the video game or movie?

Oh yea, I remember both. Never saw the movie though. I used to play that on genesis with my cousins.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/20/05 at 5:48 pm

Sub Zero is my favorite charecter in the game.

Written By: Chrisrj on 02/20/05 at 8:12 pm

Oh yeah, my brother loved that game.  I just watched :P  SF2 was not as dark and gritty, but it was still pretty cool.  Haven't seen, let alone played, the first game

They have a new one called MK:  Deception.  They killed off all the original characters I think, but there are ways to bring them back.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/06/06 at 1:14 am

I remember being amazed on how "lifelike" the characters were!  ::) Remember kids, this was the 90's!

Written By: audkal on 03/06/06 at 9:44 am

Loved every MK for Genesis.  Saw the first movie (not the second one though).

There's gonna be a new MK for PS2 and XBOX, and they're bringing back ALL OF THE CHARACTERS.  I mean ALL, even Striker.

Check this out:  http://ps2.ign.com/articles/691/691413p1.html

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/06/06 at 10:01 am

I remember being amazed on how "lifelike" the characters were!  ::) Remember kids, this was the 90's!

What about the finishing moves?  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/06/06 at 11:30 am

I loved all the 2D Mortal Kombat games. I still remember the controversy that the first one caused back in '92 when Joseph Lieberman started his one man crusade to shut down video games. I've heard the movies suck but I cant say because I haven't seen them.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/07/06 at 4:32 am

Oh I remember that well. That and my juvenile fascination with blood and gore. I remember going over to my friends place almost every day to play MK, Donkey Kong. We'd discuss all the secrets, etc. I was always really crappy at fighting games however. I quite liked the Mortal Kombat games that came out on the N64, because they had heaps more characters and moves.

Written By: 90'skid on 03/09/06 at 10:33 am

i remember playing mk2 with my brother back in 93 i was real good at it. but i never couldve beat him ha.. well i was just 6 and he was 12 so yeah.... and i remembered watching the movie mortal kombat.i was obessed with it i watched it twice in the movies. then mk2 the movie came out. i thought i was cool but now i look back ant it sucked big time

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/09/06 at 2:25 pm

Mortal Kombat was HUGE in the mid-90's.

The first video game I every played was actually Mortal Kombat II on Sega Genesis.

I love all of the 2d games. MK4(the psone game) sucked.  The newer ones on PS2 are better(Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance and Mortal Kombat: Deception) but still they aren't quite as good as the old ones.  The thing that made MK 1 and 2 good was that you didn't have dial-a-combos.  Skilled players could make a lot of their own combos,  and it was fun.  Aerial combat was better in the first two as well, I used to love all of the juggle combos I could pull off. 

They are making a new one this year called "Mortal Kombat: Armageddon" which feature every MK character ever, sans Motaro(the centaur).  I heard that they will be brining back aerial combat/juggle combos.  That's good.  But if they want to make this installment as good as the old ones,  they need to axe the dial-a-combos so that skilled players who actually know how to play a fighting game can do their thing.

Also another thing missing from the series that made it cool after the second one, was the "oriental" feel.  The first 2 made the atmosphere dark and mysterious, but oriental.  Originally,  MK was intended as a tribute of sorts to the old kung fu movies of the 70's like Enter The Dragon.  Infact, before he died, Brandon Lee was in talks to play Liu Kang in the movie.  They need to get that feeling back in the games.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/10/06 at 1:11 am

SUB ZERO RULES!!! ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/10/06 at 10:21 am

Nooooooo...... Scorpion rules !  ;D

Written By: Mephistopheles on 03/10/06 at 11:14 am

GOD I LOVE MORTAL KOMBAT. I still have the first 3 games for SNES and they still work. MK4 was not bad. People just didn't like it because they were too used to the 2D style. I heard that they are making the last MK game due to come out this fall with every character in MK history.

BTW, Scorpion owns all.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/10/06 at 5:52 pm

Its not the last one.  They will just be killing off most of the current characters and starting fresh on PS3 with a new game.

Written By: rich1981 on 03/10/06 at 11:20 pm

Yup I remember Mortal Kombat, movie and video games but I only got into the games. Oh yeah and my personal favorite is Rayden.

Written By: whistledog on 03/11/06 at 12:01 am

I used to get so amazed when I'd see people playing MK in the arcades, and they could do thise 8+ hit combos.  Eventually, I learned how to do them, as well as the Finishing Moves, but when MK 2 came out and added new finishing moves, I was like totally lost ;D

I used to go super cheap with Johnny Cage and that shadow kick.  People (usually the B-Boys) who'd play against me used to get pissed off.  Oh well ... if they can't get out of it, they shouldn't be playing against me ;D

Oddly enough, I was only good at Mortal Kombat II.  I sucked at all of the others  :\'(

Written By: twistedwarp on 03/15/06 at 10:22 am

i remember back in the day we didnt even had internet and was a really underground thing to find out the fatalities in the game ... i used to be good .i wasted alot of time playing mortal kombat games :D

Written By: Liu Kang on 03/31/06 at 1:59 am

Mortal Kombat rocks 8)

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/31/06 at 2:11 am

Mortal Kombat vs Streetfighter?

I'd say MK, cos it was gorier.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/31/06 at 3:49 am

MK has a more interesting story and set of characters, and the gore is cool, but I think SF has a better fighting system..

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/31/06 at 1:41 pm

MK has a more interesting story and set of characters, and the gore is cool, but I think SF has a better fighting system..

It's hard to say. I've always been more of an MK person myself but I think SF might be a better overall game.

Check for new replies or respond here...