inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did the Internet become essential?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 8:24 pm

I remember the better part of the 1990s, but I wasn't exactly a functional member of society.  When did Internet stop being a luxury and become a necessity?  I'd guess around 1996-98.

-FHF  8)

Subject: Re: When did the Internet become essential?

Written By: 90s boy on 02/20/05 at 8:34 pm

i would say 1995 cayse that was the year of chat room and i rember my sister's use the internet back then and they would go to chat room

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 8:40 pm

i would say 1995 cayse that was the year of chat room and i rember my sister's use the internet back then and they would go to chat room

When did you first hear of the net, 90s boy?  I did circa 1996.  The mid-90s sure changed things a lot, perhaps more than the early 90s did.  I know the WWW was invented in Fall 1990 although AOL premiered in 1989.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/20/05 at 8:56 pm

I would say late 90s. If you had fine. If you didn't, it wasn't considered bad to not have it. It came out mid 90s, though. I used it through my college years.

Tanya

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/20/05 at 9:08 pm

I remember the better part of the 1990s, but I wasn't exactly a functional member of society.  When did Internet stop being a luxury and become a necessity?  I'd guess around 1996-98.

-FHF  8)

Well it was around in the mid '90s, I first got it in 1995, and it was pretty basic then, and really slow. I wouldn't call it essential then though, most people probably didn't have it yet. I'd say late '90s as well.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 9:16 pm

The "old school" part of the 90s really ended when Nickelodeon shows got all those "dotcom" advertisements.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/20/05 at 9:21 pm

The "old school" part of the 90s really ended when Nickelodeon shows got all those "dotcom" advertisements.

dotcom commercials were all over the place in the late '90s and into 2000. Every commercial seemed to be a dotcom commercial.

Written By: 80s Lady on 02/20/05 at 9:22 pm

AH, yes.  I remember those days.  It was pay by the minute for dial-up time to a server that was generally long distance.  Yep, I was only on there till my husband got the first phone bill!!!  :o

Written By: blondey on 02/20/05 at 9:23 pm

My family got a computer in '96 but didn't get internet till around '98. I think the interent became a necssity in 1998 b/c thats when my family got it!

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 9:24 pm

The bulk of the 90s really seems old school compared to now.

My family got a computer in '96 but didn't get internet till around '98. I think the interent became a necssity in 1998 b/c thats when my family got it!

Why don't you join us Blondey?  Become a Penguin!  I'm considering started a Full House clique here too.  You're welcome to join if you want :)

Written By: Blondey on 02/20/05 at 9:29 pm

I think I will! how do you join?

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/20/05 at 9:32 pm

When did you first hear of the net, 90s boy?   I did circa 1996.  The mid-90s sure changed things a lot, perhaps more than the early 90s did.  I know the WWW was invented in Fall 1990 although AOL premiered in 1989.

You know how I found out about the net, I had just got my new computer a $2500 75 Mhz Mac Performa 6205 CD with a huge 1 GB hd, and it had a 14.4 k modem in it, at first we had no idea what it was, then we read through the books and found out it was to connect to the internet, and of course I wanted the internet then. I think I did hear of the internet before then, but I didn't know much about it. I started out with e-world which was an apple internet service, then it closed up and aol took it over in March 1996.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/20/05 at 9:38 pm

You know how I found out about the net, I had just got my new computer a $2500 75 Mhz Mac Performa 6205 CD with a huge 1 GB hd, and it had a 14.4 k modem in it, at first we had no idea what it was, then we read through the books and found out it was to connect to the internet, and of course I wanted the internet then. I think I did hear of the internet before then, but I didn't know much about it. I started out with e-world which was an apple internet service, then it closed up and aol took it over in March 1996.

What year though?

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/20/05 at 9:39 pm

What year though?

I said before, 1995.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/20/05 at 10:17 pm

Written By: 90s boy on 02/21/05 at 3:49 am

When did you first hear of the net, 90s boy?   I did circa 1996.  The mid-90s sure changed things a lot, perhaps more than the early 90s did.  I know the WWW was invented in Fall 1990 although AOL premiered in 1989.
Around 1995 might have been late 1994

Written By: Punk Daddy on 02/21/05 at 7:02 am

I'm going to say 1995 as well. i went to college that year and also Windows 1995, archaic now, revolutionized the personal computer. Previously was Windows 3.1. With the introduction of Win95 it became that much more attractive to get a home PC.

I had my first contact with the internet in 1990, when a friend had a hookup through a company that I can't quite remember. Think it started with a P. Anyway, he showed me how he could get a ton of info, by just a couple clicks.

I never used the net in high school unfortunately. But the internet craze started happening in 1997 in my opinion, but I had already been there for years.

Written By: 1992thousand on 02/21/05 at 10:18 am

i don't know when it became a "necessity" but i think there are 4 big steps(since 95 i mean)

1. Unlimited usage, flat monthly rate (95/96)
2. ICQ/Instant messenger (98/99)
3. Napster hits mainstream, Napster clones (00/01)
4. Broadband internet widely available. (01/02)

Written By: Howard on 02/21/05 at 6:45 pm

I would say the late 1990's.

Howard

Written By: Guest on 02/21/05 at 6:48 pm

i don't know when it became a "necessity" but i think there are 4 big steps(since 95 i mean)

1. Unlimited usage, flat monthly rate (95/96)
2. ICQ/Instant messenger (98/99)
3. Napster hits mainstream, Napster clones (00/01)
4. Broadband internet widely available. (01/02)

I think you are a little of on just a few little things.  :)  Napster actually started in 1999, sometime in the spring, and Instant Messaging didn't really got in the juex 'til 2000 when Windows 2000/Me was released.
 :

Written By: 1992thousand on 02/21/05 at 8:42 pm

I'm pretty secure with my dates. It can be argued about Instant messenging i guess, but i'd stick by my napster date because im not talking about when it first came out and was pretty much only used by college students.

Written By: SkyLowLow on 02/24/05 at 12:13 am

I am a IT technician and professional web designer and I still don't think that the Internet is essential. We could live without it, but life would be tough without email for companies.

It creates more problems than it does solutions, just look at viruses, ad-ware, and not to mention the distraction of looking up cool sheesh instead of doing work like I'm doing right now.

Check for new replies or respond here...