inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone remember KLF?

Written By: goodsin on 02/23/05 at 1:10 pm

Anyone remember this crazy bunch, probably best known for the seminal "It's grim up north". Just wondering if anyone knows what they're up to today (maybe moved to MuMu land with Dusty Springfield!) ?

Subject: Re: Anyone remember KLF?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/23/05 at 5:14 pm

I remember Justified and Ancient, just what the freaking hell is a Mu Mu Land?  ::)  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 02/23/05 at 7:50 pm

I remember KLF, Goodsin. They were the 'Timelords' initially who made the hit 'Doctorin' the tardis' in 1988. 'The Justified and The Ancient' is such a class track.

I heard they burnt a million pounds or something as part of a publicity stunt.

Written By: ktelqueen on 02/23/05 at 8:02 pm

thanks for putting their song in my head  :D

Written By: Bobby on 02/23/05 at 8:07 pm

thanks for putting their song in my head  :D

Which one? Justified and the ancient? Tammy Wynette has never sounded better.  ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 02/23/05 at 8:09 pm

Which one? Justified and the ancient? Tammy Wynette has never sounded better.  ;D

that's the one..and ya don't say  ;)

Written By: Bobby on 02/23/05 at 8:11 pm

that's the one..and ya don't say  ;)

I wonder if she ever thought of singing "Stand by your timelord."  ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 02/23/05 at 8:12 pm

I wonder if she ever thought of singing "Stand by your timelord."  ;D

;D

Written By: Chrisrj on 02/23/05 at 10:08 pm

I completely forgot about them until I got Billboard Top Hits 1991 with 3AM Eternal.  I thought they were great because they combined rock, hiphop, dance, and pop earlier than most others.

That's the only one I ever heard from them aside from Justified & Ancient, which I got on a compilation CD a decade later :P

Written By: jiminy on 02/23/05 at 10:12 pm

KLF....no but KFC...yes

Written By: mrgazpacho on 02/24/05 at 5:21 am

Do I remember KLF?

Uh-huh (uh-huh)
Uh-huh (uh-huh)

;)

Written By: Paul on 02/24/05 at 7:15 am

I heard they burnt a million pounds or something as part of a publicity stunt.

That they did - all in the cause of 'art' (some people have the most strangest ways...)

They were prolific in the amount of material they released under various monikers - and that's not including the remixes...! There's a helluva lot of rabid collectors out there, the Holy Grail for 'em is a certain promotional remix of 'What Time Is Love' issued in 1989 - apparently only three copies are known to exist...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/24/05 at 8:02 am

That they did - all in the cause of 'art' (some people have the most strangest ways...)

They were prolific in the amount of material they released under various monikers - and that's not including the remixes...! There's a helluva lot of rabid collectors out there, the Holy Grail for 'em is a certain promotional remix of 'What Time Is Love' issued in 1989 - apparently only three copies are known to exist...

Seriously.... they actually burnt money?  ::)  ;D

Written By: Paul on 02/24/05 at 12:10 pm

Seriously.... they actually burnt money?  ::)  ;D

'Tis absolutely true, Jamie...

I'm not exactly sure what sort of 'artistic statement' they were trying to make...probably something along the lines of, 'we are total headcases...!'

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 03/05/05 at 12:54 pm

KLF IS GONAN ROCK YA! I loved 3 Am Eternal

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/05/05 at 3:04 pm

'Tis absolutely true, Jamie...

I'm not exactly sure what sort of 'artistic statement' they were trying to make...probably something along the lines of, 'we are total headcases...!'

Reminds me of Chumbawumba!  ::)  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 12/08/05 at 10:10 pm

I remember The KLF.

Written By: DJ Midas on 12/08/05 at 10:50 pm

KLF IS GONAN ROCK YA! I loved 3 Am Eternal

The KLF did rock ya.  8)  My favorite KLF tune is "Last Train To Trancentral"  :)

Subject: Anyone remember KLF?

Written By: Dude111 on 02/27/18 at 8:58 pm

I member that song by them that said "KLF IS GONNA ROCK YA" That was pretty good.....

Written By: #Infinity on 02/27/18 at 9:24 pm

These guys were weird. The posters from 13 years ago are totally right. In an era dominated by cheesy, mindless house and pop rap, this group tried their damnedest to create something intellectually rebellious out of it, but they end up just sounding awesomely flatulent instead. Even the most off-the-wall-thinking little kid couldn't match their level of insane imagination.

"Justified & Ancient" is definitely the greatest testament to the group's inexplicable existence in the world of mainstream pop. It's bizarre enough they were able to get Tammy Wynette on a pop dance song in the early '90s, constantly intermixed with loud new-jack swing beats and some rap guy, but when you have her serenading about all your cryptic codewords while she's dressed like the Snow Queen, it's so bloated with different ideas that it can only be some mad scientist's magnum opus of auditory chaos.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/09/18 at 11:45 pm

These guys were weird. The posters from 13 years ago are totally right. In an era dominated by cheesy, mindless house and pop rap, this group tried their damnedest to create something intellectually rebellious out of it, but they end up just sounding awesomely flatulent instead. Even the most off-the-wall-thinking little kid couldn't match their level of insane imagination.

"Justified & Ancient" is definitely the greatest testament to the group's inexplicable existence in the world of mainstream pop. It's bizarre enough they were able to get Tammy Wynette on a pop dance song in the early '90s, constantly intermixed with loud new-jack swing beats and some rap guy, but when you have her serenading about all your cryptic codewords while she's dressed like the Snow Queen, it's so bloated with different ideas that it can only be some mad scientist's magnum opus of auditory chaos.

23 seconds after midnight, on the 23rd of August, 23 years to the day that they burnt a million pounds, the KLF returned, driving an ice cream van.

O2xgxtr8O5M

THEY'RE BACK!

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 03/12/18 at 9:23 pm

My neighbor Liz (may she be missed :\'() used to put on "Doctorin' the TARDIS" back in 92 or 93 while swearing at a game of Sonic the Hedgehog. That song is what got me into Doctor Who.

Written By: Henk on 03/15/18 at 1:19 am

Sure I remember the KLF. 8) They were huge in the early 1990's.

When I'm done this calls for anesthetic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjL5uCMv9OM

Check for new replies or respond here...