inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90's tv add's

Written By: 90s boy on 02/25/05 at 8:04 am

my big tv add of the 90's would be that TWIZZLER One with the LIP LOL ;D

Subject: Re: 90's tv add's

Written By: cancemini2real on 05/14/05 at 5:17 pm

my big tv add of the 90's would be that TWIZZLER One with the LIP LOL ;D
HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/14/05 at 11:04 pm

I kinda thought the "Chia Pet" commercials were cheesy..yet interesting

Erin :)

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/14/05 at 11:48 pm

I kinda thought the "Chia Pet" commercials were cheesy..yet interesting

Oh yeah I remember those. We had a couple of them chia pets too.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/14/05 at 11:51 pm

ya...i thought they were fine and dandy...until they starting making "chia everything"....chia head...chia scooby-doo....

I mean..come on man...enough is enough!

LOL

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/15/05 at 12:41 pm

ya...i thought they were fine and dandy...until they starting making "chia everything"....chia head...chia scooby-doo....

LOL

;D

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/16/05 at 9:16 pm

I think one of the WORST would have to be the one 4 the Wash-n-Curl shampoo:

"This morning my hair was straight.  Then Bill called! So I decided to go CURLY!"    I saw a remake of the commercial recently....made me shudder

Written By: nally on 05/16/05 at 11:25 pm

LOL

And I thought the Chia Head was a fictitious product, as shown on Saturday Night Live. Turns out, it's real, but not in the same sense as depicted on SNL. :D

Written By: Ray on 05/19/05 at 7:25 am

Do you remember the MUZZY commercials? the ones where that lady's like "These children aren't french, there american'.

Boring commercial. I also, for some reason, really remember those "Train at home for a better career commercials."

Oh yea, and what about the GUSHERS commercials with the fruit heads!?

Written By: Sugafairey on 05/19/05 at 9:33 am

I remember a really annoying advert in England that me and my friend Erica used to quote endlessly as it amused us for about 3 months.

It was for clearasil, the acne lotion and featured a very squeaky voiced girl yelling 'GET REAL, BUY YOUR OWN' at her sister.

Also, the Loreal ad's featuring Jennifer Aniston in which she advised us to 'wash the strength back in'. That concept amused me also. The thoughtof Jennifer's hair being really depressed or something.

Here's the science bit. Concentrate...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/19/05 at 11:06 am

Do you remember the MUZZY commercials? the ones where that lady's like "These children aren't french, there american'.

Boring commercial. I also, for some reason, really remember those "Train at home for a better career commercials."

OMG.....i had totally forgotten about that commercial!!!! AGHGHGH!! I hated that one.....MUZZY!!! LOL!

Written By: nally on 05/19/05 at 11:12 am

Yes, unfortunately I do. I thought those were dumb. ::) :-\\

Written By: weredog on 05/23/05 at 12:36 pm

Those creepy plastic battery people.I think they were advertising Duracell and were called The Puttermans or something like that.

The Taco Bell Chihuahua,my favorite 90's commercials.

Written By: nally on 05/26/05 at 11:53 am

The Taco Bell Chihuahua,my favorite 90's commercials.

I thought that dog was cute too. It's a shame that they did away with those ads. :-\\ ::)

Written By: MagnumPI on 07/13/05 at 10:46 am

lol muzzy ads were on 24/7 Wheres The Beef (wendys)

Written By: CSM1986 on 07/13/05 at 10:50 am

How about the Pizza Hut Commercials with that Pizza that could talk and he always ended up getting killed or something at the end of the commercial? I forgot his name but those were always fun commercials

I also remember the Burger King Kids Club commercials with that weird cartoon kid with the wacky red hair and the kid in the wheelchair. Here is a picture of them
http://www.progressiveboink.com/mike/img/bkkidsclub/kidsclub.jpg

Written By: MagnumPI on 07/13/05 at 12:09 pm

o yea i forgot about them  :) i used to love those bk kins krowns

Written By: annonymouse on 07/20/05 at 6:45 pm

those pilsberrie dough boy comercials!!!

LOL

Written By: Holtskee on 07/20/05 at 8:48 pm

I remember the Burger King ones with the animated kids as well

Other Ones:

-Regina Steamer Vacuum Cleaners (with that dirty kid from the Charlie Brown/Penuts)
-Floam
-Twister! (It's the Hot Spot! ;))
-Kool Aid commercials, with the CG Kool Aid Man.
-Ring Pops
-McDonald's (The ones with Michael Jordan)
-Toyota cars (with the catchy latin-music gingle)
-Lego
-Bop It
-Hungry Hippos
-Theme Park commercials (Disney World, SeaWorld, Universal Studios, Six Flags, etc...)
-Clorox
-The shoes that had the cool blue jelly stuff in them.
-Pepsi

There are a bunch of other ones that I can't really identify right now...but those seem to be the more clear ones.  ;)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/23/05 at 10:18 pm

As a NASCAR fan I am compelled to post this.......

The INTERSTATE BATTERIES ads with the driver they sponsor...Bobby Labonte..

and

The OLD AOL ads with the various celebs...and the AOL 'girl scout' one with the kid selling cookies...

Written By: rich1981 on 07/23/05 at 10:39 pm

How about the nintendo ads with the slogan "Play it loud"?

A couple of others:

"Just for the taste of it... diet coke!"
Taco Bell dog commercials
Green burrito commercials with the green smiley face
Got milk?, the most memorable being the one with the guy eating a peanut butter sandwich.

Written By: 90s boy on 07/24/05 at 12:03 am

can annyone get a pciture of that twizzler Lip cause thats one thing i'll never forget lol  ;D

Written By: Skippy on 07/24/05 at 12:37 am

The "Long John Silvers" (?) commercials with the muppet shrimp that has a french accent.

Written By: nally on 07/26/05 at 10:15 am

I also remember the Burger King Kids Club commercials with that weird cartoon kid with the wacky red hair and the kid in the wheelchair. Here is a picture of them
http://www.progressiveboink.com/mike/img/bkkidsclub/kidsclub.jpg

So do I! I watched a lot of children's TV in the early 90's (even though I was 10-12 years old then), and those were among the commercials that were shown frequently.

Written By: SpaceHog on 07/26/05 at 8:49 pm

LOL

Now introducing from Chia: Chia George Bush and Chia John Kerry!

Also you can get a Chia of President Buchanan free of charge when you buy a Chia Ralph Nader!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/05 at 8:50 pm

I used to love those Milk...it does a body good commercials....where they would have a small kid drinking the milk and talking...and before you knew it....it was the kid's voice in an adult's body.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/27/05 at 9:44 pm

I liked the Zima commercials, the McDonalds guy that would say, "How's it going, how's it going." I think his name was something like Eddie the Repeater or something like that, the I like Mike commercials, and those Reeses Peanut Butter Bits ads with that real nerdy guy (that was circa 1992).

Written By: Margie1988 on 07/29/05 at 9:29 am

OMG Muzzy!! i almost forgot about that..I HATED those commercials, they were so annoying. anyway

here are  other commercials: skip-it, push pops, little caesars (Pizza Pizza), American Express, Aspercreme, 10-10-220, Dream Phone, "Nacho Man" (sung to Macho Man song),

they also had some shampoo commercial where they'd play that "natural woman" song

Written By: nally on 08/02/05 at 10:30 am

I liked the Zima commercials, the McDonalds guy that would say, "How's it going, how's it going." I think his name was something like Eddie the Repeater or something like that, the I like Mike commercials, and those Reeses Peanut Butter Bits ads with that real nerdy guy (that was circa 1992).

I remember a Reeses Pieces ad from late '91/early '92 which was basically a singing ad; "big pieces...little pieces...center pieces...Reeses Pieces" (every fourth item mentioned was "Reeses Pieces). Each item mentioned had a little visual aid with it.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/03/05 at 7:41 pm

I KNOW I bore some folks here when I mention NASCAR drivers,but, having seen the ads, I mention them.

Jeff Gordon in the Fritos ads...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/03/05 at 7:43 pm

HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up!!!
Yep..Mrs. Fletcher!!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/03/05 at 7:45 pm

The United Airlines ads of the 90's with the 747-400...

and the beginning of the Oxi-Clean ads...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/04/05 at 12:22 pm

I remember a Reeses Pieces ad from late '91/early '92 which was basically a singing ad; "big pieces...little pieces...center pieces...Reeses Pieces" (every fourth item mentioned was "Reeses Pieces). Each item mentioned had a little visual aid with it.

oh I remember that one....it got annoying after awhile.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/04/05 at 12:24 pm

It seemed like during the late 80's/early to mid 90's....they would advertise SO many toys, etc.  There were like 100 different dolls that they had commercials for (pretty, pretty princess, polly pockets, baby alive, the one doll that would rollarskate, etc..)...and all of those boys toys (trucks, tonka, and the warrior type action figure dolls/sets).  I hardly ever see any commercials advertising toys...not like they used to, that is.

Written By: nondiva234 on 08/04/05 at 1:31 pm

I don't really have a clear vision of 90s ads, but I do recall some commercials, like the Old El Paso salsa contest (the little girl and cowboy compete) from 92, and some toy commericals, like Barbie from 91.

Written By: iluvthe80s on 08/04/05 at 3:56 pm

I recall the Diet Pepsi ads with Ray Charles and the Uh-Huh Girls, circa 1990-91 - those girls became so popular for a while and then they just vanished into thin air. 

Written By: nally on 08/04/05 at 4:00 pm

I recall the Diet Pepsi ads with Ray Charles and the Uh-Huh Girls, circa 1990-91 - those girls became so popular for a while and then they just vanished into thin air. 

Their slogan "You've got the right one, baby...UH-HUH!!" was around for a short time as well.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/04/05 at 10:20 pm

I don't really have a clear vision of 90s ads, but I do recall some commercials, like the Old El Paso salsa contest (the little girl and cowboy compete) from 92, and some toy commericals, like Barbie from 91.

Yeah, I remember that El Paso Salsa commercial very vaguely. There were  alot of commercials that had advertisements for those Nike and Reebok "air pump" shoes. Talk about a gimmick! THey wanted us to think we'd be like Michael Jordan or Charles Barkely, etc.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/04/05 at 10:38 pm

I'm still wondering if ANYONE OUT THERE remembers the ads I posted....The INTERSTATE BATTERIES ads with NASCAR's Bobby Labonte or the Frito's ads with Jeff Gordon or the United Airlines ad....if someone even has an inkling I'd love to hear from them!

Written By: Chrisrj on 08/08/05 at 7:39 pm

The Hair Club for Men:

"I'm not only the hair club president, but I'm also a client."

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/09/05 at 3:32 am

oh I remember that one....it got annoying after awhile.

Yeah, I really remember those commercials with the Reeses Pieces. That guy that kept eating them like a robot kind of struck me as odd. Some of my old Archie comic books from around that time have advertisements of him on them with the Reeses Pieces "song" lyrics going in a circle around him.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/09/05 at 3:37 am

I remember a lot of local (SF/Bay Area) commercials that some may not even relate to. They're more like "sub"urban legends here because they were overplayed on local stations. One had a lawyer with curly hair from at least 1983 or earlier and he was advertising his local law firm. Well, he would talk about what he could do for you, and then he'd retire on his couch and say, "Well, I better get back to my episode of Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" and they'd show him giggle a bit and then it would fade out... kind of lame for an attorney to advertise himself that way... but hey, he seemed personable.. Then they had that Paul guy from "The Diamond Center" doing his commercials to the music of "Soul Man" but instead they changed the words to something like "Diamond Man" I can't remember, but it was awful and funny - awfully funny  :D

Written By: nondiva234 on 08/10/05 at 12:33 am

I have some Canadian ads from the 90s I remember. Anybody remember the "Campfire If You're Happy And You Know It" Eaton's commercial (too bad Eaton's is bankrupt)? How about the cheese commercial where the boy sneaks past his father to try and get some cheese? Classics!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/10/05 at 9:35 pm

Locally there was the ads for Crazy Ned's(furniture store)with "Crazy Ned" and his Yiddish uncle...
BTW Crazy Ned is no longer in business.

Written By: Skippy on 08/10/05 at 11:50 pm

Budweiser Luey the lizard, Wazuuuuuuuuup?, Bud Light Real American Hero. Heck, just go here:
http://www.allowe.com/Humor/video.htm  ;D

Written By: nally on 08/11/05 at 6:11 pm

Budweiser Luey the lizard, Wazuuuuuuuuup?, Bud Light Real American Hero. Heck, just go here:
http://www.allowe.com/Humor/video.htm   ;D

That was after the annoying "Bud...Weis...Er" frogs, an ad campaign that began circa 1995. ::)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/11/05 at 9:34 pm

That was after the annoying "Bud...Weis...Er" frogs, an ad campaign that began circa 1995. ::)
I think the ads featuring Dale Earnhardt Jr. started in the 2000's.

Written By: nally on 08/13/05 at 12:30 am

I think the ads featuring Dale Earnhardt Jr. started in the 2000's.

Maybe so, but I'm not familiar with those.

Anyway, I can remember quite a few "Got Milk" commercials from the mid-90's; I do believe that's when they started.

Written By: rich1981 on 08/13/05 at 11:03 pm

I can't forget the Walmart ad (1997?) which had this catchy whistling music throughout and the smiley face appeared in it. I don't know if this was the first time Walmart used the smiley but the face still lives in today's Walmart commercials.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/15/05 at 8:18 pm

The ALL 'Stain Lifter' ads with the cute little kids messing up their clothes the way kids do!

Written By: jaypunkchick1 on 08/18/05 at 11:23 pm

the clapper commercials with that dumb ass clapper lite. and then the commercial with the old woman "I've fallin and i cant get up" oh well u old ass lady

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/20/05 at 5:45 pm

the clapper commercials with that dumb butt clapper lite. and then the commercial with the old woman "I've fallin and i cant get up" oh well u old butt lady
Look...don't be so quick to make fun of older people...cause guess what, that's gonna be you(and all of us on this board) someday.  ;)  :P

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/20/05 at 5:49 pm

The Geico ad with the gecko coming out of the shower to answer the phone...'You want GEICO not GECKO!'

Written By: iluvthe80s on 08/23/05 at 7:27 am

Remember the Snackwells commercials where the store employee would be stocking the shelves with the product and this group of ladies were always chasing after him, calling him 'Cookie Man' - those were kind of funny.  :)

Written By: nally on 08/24/05 at 5:06 pm

The Geico ad with the gecko coming out of the shower to answer the phone...'You want GEICO not GECKO!'

Yeah, I think Geico ads emerged during the late 90's. That one may or may not have been from the 90's (maybe the Ellipsis guest knows); but the Geico gecko was definitely around in 1999.

That one I cracked up watching. "Hello? No I can't save you money on car insurance; you want GEICO, not GECKO!" (babbles) "Well that's uncalled for!"

Written By: 90s boy on 08/24/05 at 6:25 pm

umm for the 500th time DOSE ANYONE REMEMEBR THAT D.A.M.N TWIZZLER LIP!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D lol sorry gues i just wanna know if any one remebers that twizzler lip that would tlak and dose anyone have a picture

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/25/05 at 4:12 am

I remember the Twizzler Lip vaguely - Twizzler's don't taste the same as they did 10 or 15 years ago. They taste like Crap now..

Written By: nally on 08/25/05 at 2:02 pm

I've never eaten them before...but I do remember seeing those ads. ::)

Written By: 90s boy on 08/25/05 at 4:37 pm

lol any one got a picture of it

Written By: CSM1986 on 08/25/05 at 7:20 pm

I don't suppose anyone remembers the name of that Pizza that talked? It was some Pizza Hut Ad around 1995 or 1996 which had a real pizza with like olives for eyes and he had a High Pitch Voice and then the Commercial always ended with him getting beat up or killed or something, like a Dog would come along and Eat him. They were Really Popular Commercials back then (Maybe the Pizza's Name was "Stan"?  I'm not sure...)

Also does anyone remember the annoying "Call 1-800 ATT" and the "10-10-321" Commercials? I remember one of the "10-10-321" Comercials that had Al Bundy from "Married with Children" in it and he was driving by some dark highway and there was a Phone Booth in the middle of nowhere and some Glowing Blue Alien was on the Phone and Al Buncdy pulled up and said "What's the Matter?" and the Alien said something like "OZNY LOOKSUP!" in a weird Alien voice, lol it was Hillarious for some weird reason

Written By: spidey4545 on 08/25/05 at 7:46 pm

You're talking about the Pizza Hut Pizza Head commercials.  There was a pizzacutter in the commercial as well that was called Steve (Pizzacutter Steve) and each commercial had Steve in a different commercial.  I have some on tape where he is a cop, a magician, and an alien.  I've got a lot of these on tape and I am in the process of planning a website dedicated to 90's commercials that will launch sometime in late winter.  I already have a website dedicated to 90's cartoons, which I am trying to build up before I can make the sister site.  The address is www.blastfromthepasttv.com . 

Written By: CSM1986 on 08/26/05 at 12:00 am

You're talking about the Pizza Hut Pizza Head commercials.  There was a pizzacutter in the commercial as well that was called Steve (Pizzacutter Steve) and each commercial had Steve in a different commercial.  I have some on tape where he is a cop, a magician, and an alien.  I've got a lot of these on tape and I am in the process of planning a website dedicated to 90's commercials that will launch sometime in late winter.  I already have a website dedicated to 90's cartoons, which I am trying to build up before I can make the sister site.  The address is www.blastfromthepasttv.com . 

Wow Man, Thanks Alot!

Nice Website to, I'll look forward to your new one coming this winter  8)

Written By: star500 on 08/26/05 at 11:57 am

Let's see..... ad's from the '90's.....well I was just a little girl during the '90's. Umm... I remember the Gusher's Fruit Snack commercials and I didn't find them dumb, they scared me!! LOL ;D I think it was because I used to see these scary Dimetapp commercials when I was 4 or 5 and the Gushers commercials reminded me of them. I vagualy remember the Ray Charles Pepsi commerical. I remember the Geico commercials (thought they were funny!) I saw ALOT of PSA's. Where did they all go? There are hardly any PSA's on TV now. I see a few every now and then. Can't think of anymore right now, if I do, I will post them!

Written By: nally on 08/27/05 at 1:02 pm

Also does anyone remember the annoying "Call 1-800 CALL ATT" and the "10-10-321" Commercials? I remember one of the "10-10-321" Comercials that had Al Bundy from "Married with Children" in it and he was driving by some dark highway and there was a Phone Booth in the middle of nowhere and some Glowing Blue Alien was on the Phone and Al Bundy pulled up and said "What's the Matter?" and the Alien said something like "OZNY LOOKSUP!" in a weird Alien voice, lol it was Hillarious for some weird reason

I remember those ads. Including the "1-800 Collect" ads as well. The "10-10-321" commercials began in 1998, I think, and lots of other "10-10-" numbers have sprouted up since then.

Written By: Skippy on 08/27/05 at 6:34 pm

Did any of the motorsports fans here have Speedvision(now SpeedTV and not nearly as good) in the 90's? If so, do remember the Speevision Cop? Here's a little example of how one commercial went.

Kid in AMC Pacer is pulled over by motorcycle cop:

Pacer Driver: Is there a problem officer?

Cop: Is there a problem? Son, you're driving a Pacer, a PACER.....the single most butt-ugly car ever
  built and you're asking me if there's a problem?

Cop motions for kid to hand over his keys, which he does.

Camera pans out showing multiple driverless Pacers sitting on edge of the road.

The End  ;D

Written By: nally on 08/28/05 at 12:43 am

I remember some pizza commercials from the early 90's. Dominos' Pizza had a sung jingle, "Nobody knows, Like Dominos, How you like pizza at home." And I think Pizza Hut still had its "Makin' it great" advertising slogan for a little while (I think it was around during the 80's as well).

Written By: TylerDuelist84 on 10/07/05 at 12:14 pm

My favorite commercial was the old Curtis Mathis commercial where it shows a dime spining and you hear a voice whistle and say "Hey there, got a dime." and then a guy would appear in the dime and would talk through out the commercial, that guy is my dad.

Written By: L on 10/07/05 at 11:02 pm

HEY do u remember the energizer bunny commercial "he keeps goin and goin and goin....and the pilsbury dough boy?

Written By: whistledog on 10/07/05 at 11:19 pm

has anyone mentioned those Pizza Hut ads with Mr. Pizza Head.  Those ones were really bad  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...