inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Michael Bolton, Love Him or Hate Him?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/27/05 at 4:06 pm

Me, I am not a big Michael Bolton fan, what does everyone else here think of him?

Subject: Re: Michael Bolton, Love Him or Hate Him?

Written By: jaytee on 02/27/05 at 4:10 pm

Can't stand him  :P

Written By: AL-B on 02/27/05 at 4:15 pm

H8! H8! H8!

Written By: Paul on 02/27/05 at 4:39 pm

Not the first time this has been asked, but...

...in his defence I will say that he can hold a tune and does have a decent voice...

Sadly, his choice of material does him no favours whatsoever...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/27/05 at 4:55 pm

Not the first time this has been asked, but...

...in his defence I will say that he can hold a tune and does have a decent voice...

Sadly, his choice of material does him no favours whatsoever...

He does tend to sing the same type of song.  ::)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/27/05 at 4:58 pm

i'm sure he's a great guy but his music sucks.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/27/05 at 5:07 pm

http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/prank/puke.gifhttp://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:iZ2qpA1HCIUJ:http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39309000/jpg/_39309900_bolton_afp245x300.jpg

Written By: woops on 02/27/05 at 5:12 pm

Who is this guy anyways...

I watched MTV in the early/mid 1990's and never heard of the name or music...   ::)

Michael Jackson, Michael Stipe from REM, George Michael, I've heard of them, and actually had good songs... but no Bolton, Sorry.

Written By: Paul on 02/27/05 at 5:19 pm

Who is this guy anyways...

I watched MTV in the early/mid 1990's and never heard of the name or music...   ::)

Michael Jackson, Michael Stipe from REM, George Michael, I've heard of them, and actually had good songs... but no Bolton, Sorry.

Did you have your eyes and ears shut at the time, woops...?!!

(Actually, probably not a bad idea...!!)

You couldn't help but see/hear this bloke in the early 90s...he was everywhere (a bit like Maria/Celine)...he could've sung the phone book and it would've sold...!

But, like most 'stars', he made a bit of a wrong turn (a dodgy 'covers' album) and disappeared...limited appeal only...

Written By: Dagwood on 02/27/05 at 5:23 pm

Waaaaaay overrated.

Written By: woops on 02/27/05 at 5:30 pm

Did you have your eyes and ears shut at the time, woops...?!!

(Actually, probably not a bad idea...!!)

You couldn't help but see/hear this bloke in the early 90s...he was everywhere (a bit like Maria/Celine)...he could've sung the phone book and it would've sold...!

But, like most 'stars', he made a bit of a wrong turn (a dodgy 'covers' album) and disappeared...limited appeal only...

I was being sarcastic and I was mostly into cartoons & only force fed music that my older relatives liked. Fortunately, Bolton wasn't their favorite acts.

Written By: jackas on 02/27/05 at 5:31 pm

Just in Office Space. ;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/27/05 at 5:35 pm

One reason I don't like him is that he killed one of my favorite songs, "Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay".  ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/27/05 at 5:43 pm

He's actually a good song writer...just his singing sucks...kinda like Bob Dylan :-\\

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/27/05 at 5:45 pm

He's actually a good song writer...just his singing sucks...kinda like Bob Dylan :-\\

At least you can understand what Michael Bolton is singing....  ::)

Written By: woops on 02/27/05 at 5:49 pm

Wasn't there an "In Living Color" sketch with Jim Carrey imitating Michael Bolton singing "When A Man Loves A Womam" and his head blows off...  ;D  :D

An odd fact: Bolton co wrote Kiss' 1990 ballad "Forever".

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/27/05 at 5:50 pm

Wasn't there an "In Living Color" sketch with Jim Carrey imitating Michael Bolton singing "When A Man Loves A Womam" and his head blows off...  ;D  :D

;D Yep! I remember that :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/27/05 at 5:52 pm

An odd fact: Bolton co wrote Kiss' 1990 ballad "Forever".

That sketch must have been funny!  ;D

Written By: Jennifer028 on 02/27/05 at 7:50 pm

I guess I'm the only one so far but I like him.  I first liked his song "How am I supposed to live without you" when I was in 8th grade.  I've always liked sappy love songs like that since I was little, so I like his stuff.  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/27/05 at 7:54 pm

I guess I'm the only one so far but I like him.  I first liked his song "How am I supposed to live without you" when I was in 8th grade.  I've always liked sappy love songs like that since I was little, so I like his stuff.  :)
Hey Jennifer, I definately respect you're opinion ;)

Written By: jackas on 02/27/05 at 8:00 pm

Don't feel bad, I like "Said I Loved You....But I Lied".  I like sappy love songs too.  :)

Written By: Ansky1213 on 02/27/05 at 9:35 pm

Just in Office Space. ;)

EXACTLY what I was thinking.
"Which Michael Bolton song is your favorite, Michael Bolton?"
"...Oh....well....I guess....I guess I like all of them..."

Written By: jackas on 02/27/05 at 9:36 pm

EXACTLY what I was thinking.
"Which Michael Bolton song is your favorite, Michael Bolton?"
"...Oh....well....I guess....I guess I like all of them..."

LOL  Love that movie!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/27/05 at 10:00 pm

He has talent, so I never understood the drama around him.

Tanya

Written By: AL-B on 02/27/05 at 10:00 pm

One reason I don't like him is that he killed one of my favorite songs, "Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay".  ::)
It's funny you mention that, but he also ruined "When A Man Loves A Woman" for me.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/27/05 at 10:58 pm

It's funny you mention that, but he also ruined "When A Man Loves A Woman" for me.

He's great at killing songs!  ::)

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/01/05 at 4:30 am

Me, I am not a big Michael Bolton fan, what does everyone else here think of him?

I can't stand the guy. All his songs were just soppy love songs, but I have to admit to like his 1995 single "Can I Touch You.....There". That's the only I liked from him. I hope he's disappeared for good.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/05 at 4:44 am

Michael Bolton's version of "To Love Somebody" was alright.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/01/05 at 4:46 am

It wasn't as good as Jimmy somerville's version.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/05 at 4:49 am

It wasn't as good as Jimmy somerville's version.

No even good as the original Bee Gees version.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/01/05 at 1:22 pm

I can't stand the guy. All his songs were just soppy love songs, but I have to admit to like his 1995 single "Can I Touch You.....There". That's the only I liked from him. I hope he's disappeared for good.

Nope.... he's still around.

By the way "Can I Touch You.....There" sounds like a creepy title for a song.  ::)

Written By: Chrisrj on 03/01/05 at 5:52 pm

I like good music.  If he has a good song, I won't be ashamed to buy it on iTunes("How can we be lovers?").

But he hasn't released anything new(that I've heard of) in a long time, so I don't care too much anymore.

I actually didn't hear too much of him either back in his heyday.  I was busy with TMNT and Super Mario Bros. 3 ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/01/05 at 5:55 pm

I tried to listen to  it one time but the blood coming out of my ears stopped that straight away :P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/01/05 at 7:23 pm

I tried to listen to  it one time but the blood coming out of my ears stopped that straight away :P

My head nearly explodes whenever I hear that song.  ::)

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 03/02/05 at 5:55 am

I guess I'm the only one so far but I like him. 

No, Your not the only one. I like him too.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/04/07 at 7:57 pm

*BUMP*

Just thought I'd bring this back up 'cause I've noticed something really interesting lately. First of all, I remember people totally ripped on him when he was popular. Like in 1989 up to 1993 or '94ish his music was perceived as AC that middle aged soccer moms and housewives listened to (although with as big as he was, I'm sure lots of other people did in secret, lol). I was probably one of the few late elementary school kids who liked him (but I'm a dork!). ;)

Anyway, I've seen some comments from people on YouTube with his videos, and more seem to like him (even the younger crowd). There's actually not alot of remnants of the hate he got back in the day at all. Some but not much. I thought that was interesting, especially because back then his style of music wasn't that unusual. Ballads were very popular in the early-mid '90s, and they haven't been since 2002. Yet more people today seem accepting of his music or fans. Interesting, don't you think?

Written By: whistledog on 11/04/07 at 10:26 pm

Michael Bolton did get alot of ridicule, and still does, but I always liked his music.  He sang fun, pop songs that were catchy

Written By: tv on 11/07/07 at 10:46 am

Oh "Can I Touch You There" was a hit in 1995? I thought Michael Bolton had faded out by 1995 and was irrevalant fron the music scene by 1995 but I guess not. Alternative Rock, Dance/Club Play music and some ballads like "Water Runs Dry" and "Kiss From A Rose" were big in 1995. Like I said before I always thought Michael Bolton pretty much fit in perfectly with the 1991-1993 music scene perfectly but I guess you could fit him in there with being relevant for the 1989-1994 time period as well. My mom liked him I think back in the day.

Written By: tv on 11/07/07 at 11:06 am

*BUMP*

Anyway, I've seen some comments from people on YouTube with his videos, and more seem to like him (even the younger crowd). There's actually not alot of remnants of the hate he got back in the day at all. Some but not much. I thought that was interesting, especially because back then his style of music wasn't that unusual. Ballads were very popular in the early-mid '90s, and they haven't been since 2002. Yet more people today seem accepting of his music or fans. Interesting, don't you think?
Ah time heals all wounds but not all time heals wounds with an artist like Michael Bolton. Yeah thats true for that time that Michael Bolton his music wasn't unusual but he just seemed too get alot more backlash than other artists who did that kinda music. Well Celine Dion did get alot of backlash too for that type of music too come to think of it. When I was younger I used too hate Mariah Carey's music but I really didn;t have a hate towards Michael Bolton or Celine's music. My mom was a big Mariah Carey fan in the early-mid 90's so thats maybe thats why I had a hate towards Mariah Carey's music at the time.  I just wanted to listen to Alternative Rock/Grunge and not Mariah Carey back then.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/07/07 at 11:10 am

I'm definitely familiar with a few of his songs, I wouldn't say he's that bad or anything, a bit sappy and generic but I've heard worse.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/07 at 4:07 pm

Has he had his hair cut yet?

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/07/07 at 4:46 pm

Ah time heals all wounds but not all time heals wounds with an artist like Michael Bolton. Yeah thats true for that time that Michael Bolton his music wasn't unusual but he just seemed too get alot more backlash than other artists who did that kinda music. Well Celine Dion did get alot of backlash too for that type of music too come to think of it. When I was younger I used too hate Mariah Carey's music but I really didn;t have a hate towards Michael Bolton or Celine's music. My mom was a big Mariah Carey fan in the early-mid 90's so thats maybe thats why I had a hate towards Mariah Carey's music at the time.  I just wanted to listen to Alternative Rock/Grunge and not Mariah Carey back then.

That's true, I think people get sick of things when they're constantly exposed to it, so I can understand that. There were alot of early-mid '90s songs I like now, but I couldn't stand at the time because they were always on the radio and VH1, or people I knew were playing them.

That's funny, my mom liked alternative as well as stuff like Jon Secada back then. I like some of Mariah's songs from 1990-1996 too, like "Dreamlover" (which sounds pretty '80s in a way).

Written By: Fairee07 on 11/15/07 at 1:18 am

I think you meant to put "underrated" as one of your options. Anyway, I don't hate the guy personally but his music sucks big time!  8-P

Written By: gumbypiz on 11/15/07 at 2:41 am

Michael Bolton was unpopular with the general public for a number of reasons:

1. His voice, can’t say it nicely but a white guy with a very soulful voice is always suspect. He's gonna have to use it, and use it WELL. Don’t misunderstand; his voice is quite gifted, but there is no real “honest FEELING” to it. It didn’t seem genuine, so most people didn’t think HE was genuine.
2. His music, adult contemporary ballads. Bland uninspired soul/pop geared toward middle aged women. Not the focus group of new or hot trends in music, been done before so nothing new here to listen to…and certainly not bringing anything new to the grunge, hip-hop or other new genres that were breaking out at the time. He came across as a “throwback” that most didn’t want to “go” back to…
3. His appearance, the half balding, long curly lochs look just screams “poser” or at least some guy too old to realize what he looks like at his age. Remember Eddie Murphy’s quip in “Raw” about the 40 yr old guy still hanging out at the club? Well Bolton was and is THE image of that guy. 'Nuff said.
4. His overall marketing persona, his voice, appearance and music was heavily marketed by the music industry “machine”. The industry worked way too hard in pushing him as the next heartthrob for the 35-50 female set. Like some sort of Marvin Gaye or Teddy Pendergrass of the 90’s but without genuine soul in his heart. He offered nothing really new to his vocal “talent” as the music scene is concerned.  Very hackneyed and overdone. Has a voice, but really didn’t try to use or expand on the basic talent, just used it for bland average pop tunes. Having that voice/talent and not really using it to expand to greater things is a tragic mistake and a waste. Most of his target audience and others saw right through that and heaped on deserving ridicule.

The public, while always underestimated by most marketing people, is usually very perceptive on less than original music acts, picked up on all the above.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/15/07 at 4:01 am

I think all of most of that is true to an extent. Yeah, I remember he had this image of being something housewives listened to, but there's always fans outside a "target range" too. He was just pleasant ballad music that could've appealed to the softer side of general pop listeners in the early '90s. Heck, I liked some of his songs then and I was 9-10 in 1991. ;)

Plus, he also didn't start out that way. He was a hair metallish/arena rock singer before he softened up his sound and became famous. Although even after he was popular, he still put out a few songs with traces of his hard rock sound, like "How Can We Be Lovers". So it wasn't totally soccer mom music lol.

Written By: robby76 on 11/15/07 at 7:16 am

I didn't buy his albums but I loved some of his album tracks... "Forever Isn't Long Enough" was great! I also liked "Steel Bars" and I think I liked "When I'm Back On My Feet Again".

He was okay - I can understand why people ridiculed him (primarily due to his mullet), but if a song's good then I won't deny it.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/23/07 at 1:15 pm

I thought he could sing.  I didn't have his albums, but he had that blue-eyed soul thing happening at the time.  Most songs he sang were covers of an old RnB or Pop song.

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/25/07 at 1:07 pm

I don't like Michael Bolton and never understood all the fuss.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/26/07 at 8:05 pm

Don't feel bad, I like "Said I Loved You....But I Lied".  I like sappy love songs too.   :)

I agree, this is by far the only song of his I can tolerate. As far as the rest, well we can let Nicollette Sheridan enjoy living with them.  ;D

Written By: Haman on 11/28/07 at 12:39 pm

The question is "love him or hate him?".

...But what about simply laugh at him?  ;D

Written By: Zeb on 12/04/07 at 10:12 pm

I was being sarcastic and I was mostly into cartoons & only force fed music that my older relatives liked. Fortunately, Bolton wasn't their favorite acts.

Consider yourself lucky because my mother ( whom i will always love regardless) loved him!
looking back on Mr. Bolton, I think the reason people hated him so much was because they could not understand how he became so slick so fast.  He seemed to just pop out of nowhere. I see him on I Love th 90s and he seems like a good person, but his music was never more than a joke to me.   

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/04/07 at 10:43 pm

I happened to have enjoyed his rendition of When a Man Loves a Woman.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/05/07 at 12:47 am

I have always thought his song "I Said I Loved You- But I Lied" was a powerfully romantic song.

I also respect him for performing with the late great Luciano Pavarotti.
They performed "Nessun Dorma" on David Letterman, on behalf of UNICEF.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/05/07 at 1:25 am

The question is "love him or hate him?".

...But what about simply laugh at him?  ;D

Because one cannot laugh at him with the power of a thousand suns.  Hate, on the other hand...

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/05/07 at 4:43 am

On one hand, he has done some very good songs.

On the other hand, he HAS been nicknamed "Mr. Aneurysm".
Example- In a "TinyToons" cartoon (the Spring Break episode, I think), he was called Michael Molten-Lava.
He sang "When A Man Loves Himself".
He would hit a high note, the top of his head exploded.

When asked about it, he took it with grace and good humor.

He also had a cameo appearance in a Rodney Dangerfield movie.
I think it could go either way.

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 12/05/07 at 9:59 am

Just in Office Space. ;)

Samir:  "Why don't you just go by Mike?"
Michael:  "Why should I change? He's the one who sucks!!"

;D

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/05/07 at 2:25 pm

It occurs to me that the "love 'em or hate 'em"concept could apply to anyone.
These sort of comments would be found with anybody.

That's why this forum is so wonderful. People are (supposedly) allowed to have their own opinions, and be able to express them.
Would that ALL threads could be this way......

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/05/07 at 5:12 pm

He's the worst thing that happen to music, since John Tesh.  ::)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/11/07 at 5:43 pm

I like Michael Bolton. Some of his songs were cute. But I hate that he cut his long hair. I liked it better long.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/12/07 at 2:23 am

Interesting Trivia Note:

Michael Bolton was once in a R'n'R group, called "Blackjack".
Same said group also produced KISS guitarist Bruce Kulick.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/07 at 2:25 am

Is he still perfoming today?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/07 at 10:28 am

Is he still perfoming today?
Michael Bolton was interviewed on tv last week by Paul O'Grady. MB without his hair I did not recognise him.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/17/07 at 4:09 pm

He is still performing, and unfortunately, he's slated to be on tonight (or maybe tomorrow) on a new reality show called "Clash of the Choirs" where 5 or 6 singing "superstars" go back to their hometowns and create their own choir to compete against the other supertstar choirs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/07 at 4:42 pm

He is still performing, and unfortunately, he's slated to be on tonight (or maybe tomorrow) on a new reality show called "Clash of the Choirs" where 5 or 6 singing "superstars" go back to their hometowns and create their own choir to compete against the other supertstar choirs.
He will be performing at the Royal Albert Hall in October 2008.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/17/07 at 6:37 pm

He will be performing at the Royal Albert Hall in October 2008.

Hmmm, I won't be in attendance (by choice)? Will you, Phil?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/07 at 6:40 pm

Hmmm, I won't be in attendance (by choice)? Will you, Phil?
I will go to the Royal Albert Hall for Classical Music Concerts, especially the Proms.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/17/07 at 7:54 pm

I will go to the Royal Albert Hall for Classical Music Concerts, especially the Proms.

What are the 'Proms'?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/07 at 2:55 am

What are the 'Proms'?
The Proms

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/18/07 at 12:50 pm

He's vastly overated.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/21/07 at 1:22 am

The Proms

It looks like a festival of some sort. It looks like a lot of fun for us classical lovers  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/21/07 at 2:14 am

It looks like a festival of some sort. It looks like a lot of fun for us classical lovers  :)
With concert covered live on the radio and a few on television, and over the years it has built up many traditions.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/31/07 at 6:52 pm

Just another schlockmaestro like Yanni and Meatloaf.

Check for new replies or respond here...