inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did the original Sim City come out?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/28/05 at 5:35 pm

I heard it was 1989 but classicgaming.com said it was released on SNES in Aug 1991.  Was it a computer game in 89 then transferred to the slightly more hi-tech (that's a stretch with early 90s consoles) SNES in 91 or did it come out then?

-FHF  ???

Subject: Re: When did the original Sim City come out?

Written By: Chrisrj on 02/28/05 at 7:15 pm

I think it was around 1989 originally, but then came out for SNES(which kicked total @$$) 2 years later.

I had that game but my brother sold it.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/28/05 at 7:17 pm

I think it was around 1989 originally, but then came out for SNES(which kicked total @$$) 2 years later.

I had that game but my brother sold it.

So it's pretty much a 1991 game?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/28/05 at 7:24 pm

Written By: Webstor on 02/28/05 at 11:16 pm

It was a 1989 game.....
originally released on PC computers.....

Then SNES developed the "simpler" version for itself.

Written By: 90s boy on 03/01/05 at 1:21 am

the SNES Came out in 1991 and it became a PC Game in 1992 i have it and thats the copyright date 1992 not 1989 and sim city 200 came out in 1994 3000 came out in 1999 and 4 ccame out in 2003

Written By: KC Time Machine on 03/01/05 at 11:25 am

I remember playing Sim City on the PC during my first year of college (Sept. 90 - June 91)...

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/02/05 at 1:01 pm

Yeah cause somewhere I heard some young person call it "the lord of 80s video games" so I assumed it was prolly from 1990 or 91 not the real 1980s but close enough to mistake it for the real 80s.

Written By: Dinkadoo on 03/02/05 at 1:26 pm

I remember playing the original Sim City on the Macintosh when I was in middle school, but this was back in 1997 or 1998, so it was a few years old by then. 

Written By: SkyLowLow on 03/03/05 at 9:45 am

I remember playing the original Sim City on the Macintosh when I was in middle school, but this was back in 1997 or 1998, so it was a few years old by then.   

It was definately on the mac in the late eighties...

I found this as a reference, and I played it at the time  on my buddies Macintosh as well:

"Legal issues: The major problem I saw with the project is that it uses images from the original sim city developed by Maxis and published by infogrames in 1989 for the PC. While the game is no longer being published, Maxis still holds a copyright over the images used within the game, such as the buildings used here. Maxis has an online version of the game at http://simcity.ea.com/play/simcity_classic.php to see what I am referring to."

Check for new replies or respond here...