inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who's better Sonic The Hedgehog or Mario?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/01/05 at 1:24 pm

Of the two video game mascots, who's better Sonic The Hedgehog or Mario?

My vote is for Mario.

Subject: Re: Who's better Sonic The Hedgehog or Mario?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/05 at 1:28 pm

My vote goes to Mario, back in those days it all depended on which Games Consule you had.

Written By: Ansky1213 on 03/01/05 at 3:48 pm

My vote goes to Mario, back in those days it all depended on which Games Consule you had.

Exactly, and I was a Genesis man. The current Mario games are much better than the current Sonic games, but in my mind, there was no besting Sonic 2. The absolute speed of that game! Completely novel at the time.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/01/05 at 4:20 pm

I love Mario!!! My sister and I used to play Super Mario Bros. for hours on end on our little grey Nintendo (NES).....it ROCKED!!

Erin  ;D

Written By: NullandVoid on 03/01/05 at 4:29 pm

I love Mario BUT I did not start liking Mario until the Super NES came along. I couldn't deal with him on the NES.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 03/01/05 at 5:08 pm

Mario for sure..my three year old is playing our old Nintendo 64 as we speak  ;)

Written By: Howard on 03/01/05 at 5:13 pm

Super Mario.

Howard

Written By: McDonald on 03/01/05 at 5:13 pm

I loved Sonic, but Mario is an icon.

Written By: SkyLowLow on 03/01/05 at 5:25 pm

Mario is a fat plumber...

Sonic is a blue hedgehog...

I think I'll stick with the infinately cooler charactr of Sonic. Mario Shmario, Luigi was cooler.

Written By: Ansky1213 on 03/01/05 at 5:40 pm

Is nobody worried about the fact that Mario is clearly a Communist? He looks just like Stalin, in the NES game he overthrows the king (King Koopa), and in the same game lowers a peace flag and raises a flag with the red Soviet Star atop the castle at the end of each level. Am I the only one who sees this?!

Written By: Chrisrj on 03/01/05 at 5:44 pm

I love them both, but I went with Mario.

Mario's still got great games, while Sonic's now pandering to the 'hip' crowd.  So, naturally, I lost interest.

in the same game, he lowers a peace flag and raises a flag with the red Soviet Star atop the castle at the end of each level.

I think it's a skull flag. ::)

Written By: SkyLowLow on 03/01/05 at 5:50 pm

I love them both, but I went with Mario.

Mario's still got great games, while Sonic's now pandering to the 'hip' crowd.  So, naturally, I lost interest.

Perhaps if you are under the age of twelve.

Look it'sa me Mario  :D

Written By: Bobby on 03/01/05 at 6:54 pm

Me too. Sonic has the incredible speed (which was incredible for the time), but for sheer platform playability, yep Mario all the way.  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/01/05 at 7:23 pm

Mario. There was more to his game than Sonic, IMHO.

Tanya

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/01/05 at 8:16 pm

it seemed like I always chose Luigi though.....I mean Mario was cool....but Luigi rocked my socks!!!!

LOL!

Erin :o

Written By: nally on 03/01/05 at 11:33 pm

I'm gonna pick the Mario Brothers. Sonic the Hedgehog was cool too.

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/02/05 at 3:46 pm

As you can see, I'm not a big video game fan. ::)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/02/05 at 3:50 pm

Mario OF COURSE!

SM Bros 3 is the best game made before 2000!

Written By: Howard on 03/02/05 at 4:54 pm

Is nobody worried about the fact that Mario is clearly a Communist? He looks just like Stalin, in the NES game he overthrows the king (King Koopa), and in the same game lowers a peace flag and raises a flag with the red Soviet Star atop the castle at the end of each level. Am I the only one who sees this?!

You may have a point there Charlie but it's only a game.nothing to cause worry. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 03/02/05 at 4:58 pm

Super Mario Brothers.next year will celebrate 25 years when SMB first came onto the scene.

Howard

Written By: Webstor on 03/02/05 at 5:39 pm

Mario is by far the better character....
He's been around a lot longer.
I had him on Donkey Kong for My Atari 2600, my Mario Bros for my Commodore 64, and then Super Mario Brothers for the NES,SNES,N64, and Gamecube.
The man has a legacy going......no blue hedgehog can compete with that.
I love the guy....him and all the Koopas,Goombas,Fire flowers, Tanooki suits, Mushrooms, etc...
Luigi, Princess, Toad the Mushroom Retainer!!!

"I'm sorry, but our Princess is in another castle!"

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/05 at 1:52 am

Super Mario Brothers.next year will celebrate 25 years when SMB first came onto the scene.

Howard

It has been 24 years already?

Written By: Dinkadoo on 03/03/05 at 7:45 am

Sonic! It was all about the SEGA Genesis and blast processing!

Written By: Howard on 03/03/05 at 3:01 pm

It has been 24 years already?

Yes it has Philip.

Howard

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/03/05 at 10:14 pm

Honestly I prefer Sonic. I have the whole Sonic collection on Gamecube now(compilation disc), it has Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic 3-D Blast, and more.  8)

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/03/05 at 10:49 pm

Mario and Homer Simpson - the too greatest influences on my childhood.

Nintendo was always superior to Sega, look they are still one of the few companies solely dedicated to video games still around when Sega basically died ages ago. When Sega begins making games for Nintendo, who know who is more successful.

Mario is a fat Italian plumber from New York (strangely enough) or the Mushroom Kingdom; we're not sure which one. It's a me Mario!

Written By: Howard on 03/04/05 at 2:37 pm

http://members.aol.com/gallery7v/mario1.jpg

Who remembers The Super Mario Brothers Super Show from 1989? ;D

Howard

Written By: AL-B on 03/04/05 at 2:56 pm

I remember, when I first got my Genesis, how impressed I was with the speed of the Sonic games as compared to the original Super Mario Brothers. So my vote has to go to Sonic.

(Not to get off-topic, but am I the only one who has a bunch of obsolete video game consoles sitting in the basement of my parents' house?  ;D)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/04/05 at 3:31 pm

Howard

My son would more than me.

Written By: BlondeyFHFan6 on 03/04/05 at 4:51 pm

MARIO!!! Though, I'm more of a Luigi fan!! I still have some of the old super nintendo games. Such as super Mario world, the mario racing game and a few more. :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/05/05 at 11:49 am

Howard

Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeattt..................... now I can't get Capt Lou or the show's theme song out of my mind!  ::)  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/05/05 at 11:53 am

What about the movie with Bob Hoskins and Dennis Hopper?

http://media.bestprices.com/content/dvd/10/208218.jpg

Written By: Howard on 03/05/05 at 5:40 pm

What about the movie with Bob Hoskins and Dennis Hopper?

http://media.bestprices.com/content/dvd/10/208218.jpg

That was just a dumb movie.I saw it years ago. :P

Howard

Written By: Howard on 03/05/05 at 5:42 pm

http://www.retrojunk.com/media/05ilitibnx/marioatari1983.wmv

Or from retrojunk you can watch a 22 year old clip back in the days when they were first introducing Super Mario Brothers from Collecovision in 1983.

Howard

Written By: Howard on 03/05/05 at 5:44 pm

Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeattt..................... now I can't get Capt Lou or the show's theme song out of my mind!  ::)  ;D

How in the hell did they cast Capt.Lou Albano as Mario?  ;D

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/05/05 at 6:28 pm

That was just a dumb movie.I saw it years ago. :P

Howard

Worse than Double Double or Street Fighter?  :o

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/05/05 at 6:29 pm

How in the hell did they cast Capt.Lou Albano as Mario?  ;D

Howard

Good question!  ;D

Written By: fujbuj on 03/06/05 at 12:46 pm

Yeah, Ronald McDonald's an icon as well. Sonic is great because I too was a genesis man, but I was also a nintendo man, through and through. And nothing bested Sonic and Knuckles. That game was too worldly. Sonic from the early nineties beats Mario (including his supporting cast) ANYDAY.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/07/05 at 12:51 pm

Yeah, Ronald McDonald's an icon as well. Sonic is great because I too was a genesis man, but I was also a nintendo man, through and through. And nothing bested Sonic and Knuckles. That game was too worldly. Sonic from the early nineties beats Mario (including his supporting cast) ANYDAY.

Didn't sonic hit American shores in 1991?  Mario kicks a**, 80s or 90s!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/07/05 at 1:59 pm

Didn't sonic hit American shores in 1991?  Mario kicks a**, 80s or 90s!

I believe so.

Written By: Howard on 03/07/05 at 4:14 pm

Worse than Double Double or Street Fighter?  :o

Yes. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 03/07/05 at 4:15 pm

I couldn't even finish most of levels in Super Mario Brothers.

Howard

Written By: annmouse5 on 03/07/05 at 10:21 pm

I liked Genesis-so Sega was cool, but overall Mario definitely rocks the house.  Anyone who had an original dreamcast vs any Nintendo system knows that nintendo outlasts it all.  Plus, they're still producing Mario games.  Sonic is still out there and available, I have a collection game on Gamecube, but it's a remake, no anything NEW.  I still have a working NES, Super NES, Game Boy Color, Nitendo 64, Game Boy Advance and a Game Cube.  The only thing I can say about my dreamcast-RIP.

8)

Written By: Dude111 on 02/26/18 at 7:24 pm

Mario!!!

He is in alot of games I play :)

Written By: annimal on 02/26/18 at 7:32 pm

if you're sink is in trouble you can call us on the double

oh I voted for Burgertime.  I wanted someone that might be able to do something with those mushrooms

Written By: 2001 on 02/26/18 at 11:31 pm

The Mario games were superior, but the Sonic games are classic too.  8)

Written By: Wobo on 02/27/18 at 1:33 am

Mario of course ah DUHHHHHHH

Written By: Howard on 02/27/18 at 7:21 am

Mario!!!

He is in alot of games I play :)

I played the old Mario games.

Written By: Dude111 on 02/27/18 at 9:42 am

Yup me also :)

Written By: violet_shy on 05/18/19 at 5:50 pm

Sonic. I use to spend hours just looking at it when I played the games. Loved it so much! I think Sonic was my true love when I was ages 11 to 16.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/18/19 at 7:33 pm

I could have sworn there was another thread for this. Since I didn't become a die hard fan of Nintendo until I got my DS in 2006, it would have to be Mario. Too bad I missed out on Sonic's heyday. The New Super Mario Bros era for the DS and Wii were amazing, and I also liked Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy as well, those were groundbreaking 3-D Mario games. I also liked Super Smash Bros Melee and Brawl, and I liked all the Mario Kart's from 64, Double Dash, DS, and Wii. Mario absolutely owns. When I played the Virtual Console games I went back and played all the old school Mario games like the original 1985 one, Super Mario Bros 2 (Japan which is original and challenging), Super Mario Bros 2 (U.S. version which is fake), Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64. What makes Mario even better is all the secondary games from other Mario characters the franchise have, it's like a universe, you also got Luigi's Mansion, the Donkey Kong Country series, the Yoshi's Island series, Wario series, Super Princess Peach, the Paper Mario series, and much more that the Mario franchise has to offer. So no, sorry Sonic. I'm shocked that Sonic has had so many TV shows and movie adaptions over the years while Mario hasn't had anything since the early 90's TV series. There should have been an updated New Super Mario Bros TV series or movie by now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/19 at 3:29 am

With the like of the new Sonic movie to be released soon, the lead in the voting may change here?

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/20/19 at 7:42 am

I could have sworn there was another thread for this. Since I didn't become a die hard fan of Nintendo until I got my DS in 2006, it would have to be Mario. Too bad I missed out on Sonic's heyday. The New Super Mario Bros era for the DS and Wii were amazing, and I also liked Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy as well, those were groundbreaking 3-D Mario games. I also liked Super Smash Bros Melee and Brawl, and I liked all the Mario Kart's from 64, Double Dash, DS, and Wii. Mario absolutely owns. When I played the Virtual Console games I went back and played all the old school Mario games like the original 1985 one, Super Mario Bros 2 (Japan which is original and challenging), Super Mario Bros 2 (U.S. version which is fake), Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64. What makes Mario even better is all the secondary games from other Mario characters the franchise have, it's like a universe, you also got Luigi's Mansion, the Donkey Kong Country series, the Yoshi's Island series, Wario series, Super Princess Peach, the Paper Mario series, and much more that the Mario franchise has to offer. So no, sorry Sonic. I'm shocked that Sonic has had so many TV shows and movie adaptions over the years while Mario hasn't had anything since the early 90's TV series. There should have been an updated New Super Mario Bros TV series or movie by now.

I'm just SO surprised that there hasn't been a Mario show since Super Mario World in 1991, and even when reruns returned on the Cartoon Express in the mid-90s, I still watched it like I did when I saw it the first time. Even more considering the juggernaut that's Pokemon which has well over 1000 episodes (and counting), while the Mario shows combined have less than 100. I'd say that the 1993 movie may have alienated Nintendo from trying any additional Mario shows/flicks due to its poor box office showing.

As far as the 1990s come, I'd say it's about even, though Mario still has the slight edge, since that decade produced more fondly loved games (Super Mario 3, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario 64, and the first two Super Mario Kart games. Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles and the first Sonic Adventure are classics two, but there were a lot of mediocre/poor games like Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic R, Sonic Spinball, and some of the Game Gear games. But there was certainly a moment around 1992-94 where it seemed like Sonic was definitely going to be Mario's replacement as the top gaming mascot.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/22/19 at 11:11 pm

Mario for me. Sonic has classics but Mario games even the old school 2D ones still hold up well and being named Mario certainly give me more of a biased. Had I grown up in the 16-bit generation I probably wouldn't have gotten into sonic lol. Many kids that generation did eventually ended up liking both.

Written By: Howard on 05/23/19 at 5:32 am

Mario for me. Sonic has classics but Mario games even the old school 2D ones still hold up well and being named Mario certainly give me more of a biased. Had I grown up in the 16-bit generation I probably wouldn't have gotten into sonic lol. Many kids that generation did eventually ended up liking both.

Did you play the old school Mario and Mario Brothers?

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/23/19 at 9:53 am

Did you play the old school Mario and Mario Brothers?
Yeah on the gba tho since none of my family had a NES or Snes by the time I came along.

Written By: Howard on 05/24/19 at 7:22 am

Yeah on the gba tho since none of my family had a NES or Snes by the time I came along.

I used to as well during the late 1980's.

Written By: Retrolover on 06/29/19 at 7:41 am

I voted for Mario. Without Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog would not exist.

I would understand if a Millennial voted for Sonic over Mario. Super Mario Brothers were at their height from 1988 to 1993.

Written By: ItsMichael on 06/29/19 at 8:36 pm

I like both equally. To me, there is no "better" when it comes to questions like this.

Written By: Retrolover on 06/29/19 at 9:26 pm

I like both equally. To me, there is no "better" when it comes to questions like this.

Super Mario Brothers merchandise looks better to me than Sonic merchandise.

Written By: ItsMichael on 06/29/19 at 9:51 pm

Super Mario Brothers merchandise looks better to me than Sonic merchandise.
True, but character wise I think they're both cool  :)

Written By: Retrolover on 06/29/19 at 10:09 pm

True, but character wise I think they're both cool  :)

I think there is more to Mario’s universe than Sonic’s zones. Sonic wasn’t that marketable. The new Sonic movie won’t be on the level of even the 1993 live-action Mario Brothers film.

Check for new replies or respond here...