inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Super Mario Bros.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/05/05 at 4:01 pm

I miss these games!  I know some might call them an 80s things but they held into the 90s for a long time.  I played Super Mario 3 back in 1996-97 all the time.  I'd say the Mario era spanned from about 1986 to 1995, although in my old neighborhood my neighbors digged them up to '97 or so.

Super Mario 3 was the best.  The ice level and the Hell level with Wario was so cool!

:)

-DR

Subject: Re: Super Mario Bros.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/05/05 at 6:31 pm

The original is good.

Written By: Webstor on 03/05/05 at 7:45 pm

Super Mario 1 was excellent
2 was great cuz u could pick stuff up, choose characters....
3 was great too cuz of all the diff suits u could use...

Written By: EthanM on 03/05/05 at 9:49 pm

hell level? was that in the snes version?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/05/05 at 9:56 pm

hell level? was that in the snes version?

I doubt it, I'm pretty sure I had the regular NES system.  I miss those days  :(

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 03/06/05 at 9:30 pm

I play Super Mario 3 on my GameCube with my Gameboy Player adapter  :)

Written By: Punk Daddy on 03/06/05 at 11:33 pm

All I remember is back in the summer of 1988(or was it '89)...being an eleven year old kid and riding up to the local video store and renting Super Mario Bros. II....

...that was the game!

Written By: annmouse5 on 03/07/05 at 10:23 pm

The coolest thing of late is that Nintendo is offering NES Classics like Super Mario Bros., Super Mario 3,
Donkey Kong, Ice Climber, etc...that's fresh!

Written By: nally on 03/07/05 at 10:35 pm

Well I do remember hearing about the Mario Brothers in mid-1989, as well as the "Super Mario Bros. Super Show" premiering on TV around that time. I have played the Super Mario Bros games (1, 2, and 3), but it's been so long. Nobody's mentioned Super Mario Land, another popular game, but it just involves Mario. (I have the primitive Game Boy version of it.) My favorite of the Mario games is Dr. Mario.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/09/05 at 8:19 pm

Ah I long for those long summer days...the sun was shining, birds were singing - and I was indoors playing my SNES. I only got a console in 1995 I think it was when I was 9. I got the SNES bundled with the 'Mario Allstars' 5-in one cartridge. However, apart from SNES World I didn't complete any of the original Mario Bros until later on when I downloaded the roms. What used to seem so hard didn't seem as hard. The best of the series? SMB 3. What I remember most was the game's music...VERY 80s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/10/05 at 4:55 pm

....in fact, the very first game I got (which actually, I think, came included with the NES system itself) was SMB 1. I liked 2 since it was the "oddball" game of the bunch (not unlike Zelda II as well - with its side-scrolling adventure, whereas 1 & 3 were more similar).

However, SMB 3 is still easily my favorite of the bunch. One feature I like is that you have two "hits" until you die if you're wearing a suit. For instance, if you've got, say the Fireball suit on and you take one hit, you're back to Big Mario. Get hit again, it's little Mario. However, in #1, you got hit once, no matter what you were back to little Mario. This got annoying, especially in the castles.

I also liked there was simply alot to do -- quite advanced, especially for a NES game, now that I think about it. The treasure chests, card-flipping games, treasure boxes and the like that would flot around in the "overworld" were a nice touch. As were the seemingly endless levels you could click on in a given World (not all were required either).

After playing that, Part 1 did seem a little basic, to say the least. But sometimes I do prefer that for simplicity. ;)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/10/05 at 4:56 pm

....in fact, the very first game I got (which actually, I think, came included with the NES system itself) was SMB 1. I liked 2 since it was the "oddball" game of the bunch (not unlike Zelda II as well - with its side-scrolling adventure, whereas 1 & 3 were more similar).

However, SMB 3 is still easily my favorite of the bunch. One feature I like is that you have two "hits" until you die if you're wearing a suit. For instance, if you've got, say the Fireball suit on and you take one hit, you're back to Big Mario. Get hit again, it's little Mario. However, in #1, you got hit once, no matter what you were back to little Mario. This got annoying, especially in the castles.

I also liked there was simply alot to do -- quite advanced, especially for a NES game, now that I think about it. The treasure chests, card-flipping games, treasure boxes and the like that would flot around in the "overworld" were a nice touch. As were the seemingly endless levels you could click on in a given World (not all were required either).

After playing that, Part 1 did seem a little basic, to say the least. But sometimes I do prefer that for simplicity. ;)

Yeah I like Super Mario 3 best because while it was truly Old School and almost an 80s game it had the scope new school games do.  Probably the best game ever for its time.  8)

-DR  8)

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/06/06 at 1:05 am

Speaking of the old Mario Bros, does anyone remember an old myth about a "chocolate factory". I knew there was an secret water level which was reached by a second underground warp point which you had to be dragged into. 

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/06 at 1:11 am

I used to be so good at Super Mario 3 for the Original NES.  Excluding some of the levels in World 8, each level had one free man "1-UP" (excluding the ones that you got in those bonus cloud levels) and I found every single one of them  8)

There were three warp whistles, and I found them all.  Plus, I knew all the tricks on how to make the secret coin ship appear in each world, and I also knew the tricks to making the N-Mark Spade appear.  It's been so long, I'd never remember most of this, though I do still remember where most of the free men are hidden in World 1 and 2 :)

Written By: nally on 03/13/06 at 4:29 pm

Yeah I like Super Mario 3 best because while it was truly Old School and almost an 80s game it had the scope new school games do.  Probably the best game ever for its time.  8)

-DR  8)

Super Mario 3...was that the one where Mario had the power to turn into a raccoon? Or was it one later than that?

Written By: whistledog on 03/13/06 at 7:47 pm

Super Mario 3...was that the one where Mario had the power to turn into a raccoon? Or was it one later than that?

That was Super Mario 3 yes :)

Written By: MotleyCrueFan'05 on 03/14/06 at 2:33 pm

MARIO 3 IS THE BOMB!!!!!! 8)

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/15/06 at 9:05 am

My favourite is still Super Mario World; for those who've played, there was a short-cut which let you basically finish the game by only passing maybe 1/4 of the levels (that Star Road thingy). For some reason, SM2 was my least favourite...guess it departed too much from the original (we Nintendoites can be a conservative bunch). You can play the ROMs, but it's just not the same without those ultra-slim (actually made for KID's hands, unlike the clunky X-Box controller) SNES controls, with nothing more than  D-pad and four brightly coloured buttons. And how your palms got all sweaty...if your palms weren't sweaty, you weren't GAMING. Sure you were playing, but you weren't GAMING.

Written By: MotleyCrueFan'05 on 03/15/06 at 2:25 pm

My favourite is still Super Mario World; for those who've played, there was a short-cut which let you basically finish the game by only passing maybe 1/4 of the levels (that Star Road thingy). For some reason, SM2 was my least favourite...guess it departed too much from the original (we Nintendoites can be a conservative bunch). You can play the ROMs, but it's just not the same without those ultra-slim (actually made for KID's hands, unlike the clunky X-Box controller) SNES controls, with nothing more than  D-pad and four brightly coloured buttons. And how your palms got all sweaty...if your palms weren't sweaty, you weren't GAMING. Sure you were playing, but you weren't GAMING.

Anyone remember playing Yoshi's Island?

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/15/06 at 8:43 pm

Indeed I do...it was ok, but a little too un-Marioish for me. I also remember the N64 'Yoshi's Story' which was also pretty good, but of course totally unlike Super Mario 64. I got all 120 stars...anyone here also manage that feat?  ;)

Written By: MotleyCrueFan'05 on 03/16/06 at 10:05 am

Does anybody remember the educational Mario games like Mario's Fun with Numbers, Mario's Time Machine, and Mario is Missing?

Written By: nikki89 on 03/16/06 at 6:15 pm

I had Super Mario Allstars for Super Nintendo so I played Super Mario 1, 2, and 3 a lot. There was even a time when I had 2 TVs in my room: one for TV and one for Nintendo. My favorite was Super Mario Brothers, and my mom loved Mario 3. I remember not being able to figure out Mario 2 for a while though. I lost the cartrage though, I'd love to get a new one.

Super Mario World was more my thing though. But I'm embarassed to say that I never figured out how to beat the game. I got all of the secret areas and even completed Star Road and the Special zone a few times, but couldn't beat that freaking game. That's pretty much all I played on my Super Nintendo when I was a kid, Mario Allstars, Mario World, and we had a Pilotwings game, a Tiny Toons game, and a Chester Cheeta game(I've only recently added a Wayne's World game and Zombies Ate My Neighbors). I had more variety on my Sega Genesis.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/16/06 at 7:48 pm

You mean you couldn't beat Bowser when you came to the end? Remember how he was in that flowership thing, and he shot fireballs at you? Hmmm, I found him a surprisingly easy final boss...but yeah...

Written By: Mings on 04/05/06 at 12:41 pm

Download

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/05/06 at 6:39 pm

I got all 120 stars...anyone here also manage that feat?  ;)

Got 108 before my file was prematurely erased >:(

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/07/06 at 8:08 am

Got 108 before my file was prematurely erased >:(

That game was pure genius...Shigeru Miyamoto was a genius. The attention to level design.etc blew me away. Indeed, as dishonourable as it sounds, Super Mario 64 is in many ways equal in greatness to the original SMB series.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/07/06 at 10:47 am

That game was pure genius...Shigeru Miyamoto was a genius. The attention to level design.etc blew me away. Indeed, as dishonourable as it sounds, Super Mario 64 is in many ways equal in greatness to the original SMB series.

I agree 100%. Even though Super Mario 64 wasn't the first 3D game I'd played I'd never seen anything as unbelieviblely huge as the first time I entered a painting on SM 64. It looked literally endless.

Written By: nally on 04/08/06 at 1:42 am

You mean you couldn't beat Bowser when you came to the end? Remember how he was in that flowership thing, and he shot fireballs at you? Hmmm, I found him a surprisingly easy final boss...but yeah...

I always had trouble getting past the first Boss in the Super Mario Land because he always shot fireballs at you, and the only way to defeat him was to throw superballs at him. Which was impossible if you were little Mario.

Written By: whistledog on 04/08/06 at 2:21 am

I like all of the games where Mario makes cameo appearances ;D

He plays the Referee in "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out" 8)

Written By: nally on 04/08/06 at 6:38 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 04/09/06 at 12:56 am

Did any of you guys know the secrets on Super Mario Bros on NES when you played it back then? They were pretty cool. Getting hundreds of 1 ups, getting access to the "minus world", and getting fire while being little mario.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/09/06 at 6:33 am

Did any of you guys know the secrets on Super Mario Bros on NES when you played it back then? They were pretty cool. Getting hundreds of 1 ups, getting access to the "minus world", and getting fire while being little mario.

Of course...it was one of the most fun parts of the whole game. Though I thought it was a bit of cheat letting you 'skip' so many levels by using the Star Road.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/01/06 at 5:27 am

Of course...it was one of the most fun parts of the whole game. Though I thought it was a bit of cheat letting you 'skip' so many levels by using the Star Road.
Star Road? What are you referring to? My memory is a little hazy.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 8:11 am

Star Road? What are you referring to? My memory is a little hazy.

Oh yeah what an idiot I am! I just remembed I was thinking of Super Mario World.

Yeah, but I also remember the short-cut in SMB 1, with all those pipes. I think the record for passing the entire game is like 46 minutes or something!

Check for new replies or respond here...