inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did Nickelodeon go New School?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/05/05 at 4:12 pm

I'd say 1998 with Cousin Skeeter, Wild Thornberries and the like.  But 1999 to with Spongebob and the Jeffersons on Nick at Nite. 

Subject: Re: When did Nickelodeon go New School?

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/05/05 at 4:15 pm

I said 1997.

Written By: Webstor on 03/05/05 at 7:47 pm

Nickelodeon became NEW school when SNICK began, and they finally stopped showing Pinwheel.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/05/05 at 9:00 pm

Nickelodeon became NEW school when SNICK began, and they finally stopped showing Pinwheel.

Um, I never even saw Pinwheel. And Nick had SNICK as far as I can remember(and I've watched since '92)..:[

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/05/05 at 9:21 pm

SNICK is only New School compared to 80s Nick.  I saw it as the core of Old School Nick, they don't have it anymore.

Written By: Apricot on 03/05/05 at 9:32 pm

98, with the introduction of the Nickel-O-Zone. Before then, Nick programming ended 'round 8:00. Then it went to 8:30. Nickel-O-Zone took it to 9, where it has remained for some time. Nickel-O-Zone introduced Cousin Skeeter. That was the opening of the floodgates. That was the start, then Teenick was introduced on Sunday, and that was when it really happened. That got Taina and The Brothers Garcia on.

1.5-2 years ago, I found something beautiful.... VH1!  :D

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/05/05 at 9:34 pm

98, with the introduction of the Nickel-O-Zone. Before then, Nick programming ended 'round 8:00. Then it went to 8:30. Nickel-O-Zone took it to 9, where it has remained for some time. Nickel-O-Zone introduced Cousin Skeeter. That was the opening of the floodgates. That was the start, then Teenick was introduced on Sunday, and that was when it really happened. That got Taina and The Brothers Garcia on.

1.5-2 years ago, I found something beautiful.... VH1!  :D

I love VH1!  Did you see the "Awesomely Bad" thing?  That was so funny, esp Vanilla Ice and We Built this City!  ;D 

Written By: Apricot on 03/05/05 at 9:58 pm

I love VH1!  Did you see the "Awesomely Bad" thing?  That was so funny, esp Vanilla Ice and We Built this City!  ;D 

I loved the "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" review.

"That's just bad concert planning. I mean, when you're at their concert, how do you go "Play MmmMmmMmmMmm! We want MmmMmmMmmMmm!" It's terrible!"  ;D

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/05/05 at 10:00 pm

I loved the "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" review.

"That's just bad concert planning. I mean, when you're at their concert, how do you go "Play MmmMmmMmmMmm! We want MmmMmmMmmMmm!" It's terrible!"  ;D

Their "Rollin'" thing was funny too.  "You can't rhyme 'Here' with 'Here'".  So true  ;D

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/06/05 at 12:13 am

SNICK is only New School compared to 80s Nick. I saw it as the core of Old School Nick, they don't have it anymore.

They got rid of SNICK??  >:( :( :(

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/06/05 at 12:15 am

I'd like to know the history of the channel, I only started watching it in '92(I stopped around 1999)..

So it was around in the 80s?

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/06/05 at 12:21 am

I'd like to know the history of the channel, I only started watching it in '92(I stopped around 1999)..

I think Nick has been around for about 20 years, started somewhere around 1985.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/06/05 at 12:31 am

They got rid of SNICK??  >:( :( :(

Afraid so :(

It was, started in 1979.  What would you say Nickelodeon's Glory Age was? I'd say about 1989 to 1996. It was okay in 1997 and 1998 and got really bad in 1999. The 80s was stuff like Inspector Gadget, which I saw reruns of in the 90s and thought it was a new show.  Okay stuff but I prefer the early to mid 90s stuff, esp Are You Afraid of The Dark.  In the late 90s Nick jumped the shark and I switched to the Disney Channel, which I stopped watching early last year, when it went all cartoonish and lost Hilary Duff, Shia LeBeouf, and THE LAWRENCE BROTHERS!  I loved those guys!  2003 really killed it with That's So Raven  >:(

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/06/05 at 1:17 am

I watched a little Disney channel for awhile, but it just wasn't as good as old Nick. I did absolutely love the show Even Stevens though. LeBouf is awesome! I saw him the other night in Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd(which is one my favorite movies of the 00s), and hes so funny.

Written By: Punk Daddy on 03/06/05 at 11:39 pm

Are you guys kidding me???

Nick's golden age in the 90s...Nickelodeon was best in the eighties...without a doubt.

Pinwheel is an uber-classic if I ever saw one and anyone born between 1974-84 and had cable definitely watched that show and it's theme song still rings in their heads..."Pinwheel, pinwheel, spinning around..."

Also, you had shows like You can't do that on Television, Danger Mouse, Inspector Gadget.

It wasn't soo commercial like today's garbage.

To me the nikelodeon I loved ended with the cancellation of 'Clarissa explains it all'

Check for new replies or respond here...