inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Selena

Written By: ADH13 on 03/11/05 at 2:20 pm

Usually I don't post in the 90's but my 12 year old nephew is doing a presentation for school on Selena. (His obsession - ever since watching the movie) When I was a kid we just had to write a 3 or 4 page report but WOW things have changed.. they have to use video, audio, and they have to take a poll.

I appreciate your help =)

And be honest... he won't be offended if you answer "no"

Subject: Re: Selena

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/11/05 at 3:11 pm

No, b/c when she was killed I didn't have any idea of who she was.

Tanya

Written By: 90s boy on 03/11/05 at 7:38 pm

the sad thing is she was getting to become a big star thats why a lot of people dident know who she was in the USA but i loved her and the Movie lol that movie made me cry  :\'( :\'( lol ;D ;D

Written By: BlondeyFHFan6 on 03/11/05 at 8:59 pm

The movie me cry too. :\'(

Written By: zcrito on 03/11/05 at 9:27 pm

I remember the time of her death (July, 1995?), I heard several times the only song I've ever heard by her

I Could Fall in Love

And it's not a bad song. I kinda liked it at the time.

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 03/11/05 at 10:31 pm

I remember the time of her death (July, 1995?), I heard several times the only song I've ever heard by her

I Could Fall in Love

Nope she was killed on March 31st 1995 so it will be 10 years very soon.

Written By: SeptGrl80 on 03/11/05 at 10:33 pm

I really hate this question because Selena would have been big people seem to forget that she had an English album coming out that she was finishing up at the time she was killed.

Written By: 90s boy on 03/12/05 at 2:19 pm

I really hate this question because Selena would have been big people seem to forget that she had an English album coming out that she was finishing up at the time she was killed.

yep she was a big singer over in Mexco so she was heading torads fame in the USA but yea it was realy sad what happend and the 10 anversrey of her death is comming up too :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( i rellay like the song Dreaming of you

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/12/05 at 4:09 pm

Usually I don't post in the 90's but my 12 year old nephew is doing a presentation for school on Selena. (His obsession - ever since watching the movie) When I was a kid we just had to write a 3 or 4 page report but WOW things have changed.. they have to use video, audio, and they have to take a poll.

I appreciate your help =)

And be honest... he won't be offended if you answer "no"

I'm sorry, but who's Selena?

Written By: ADH13 on 03/12/05 at 6:55 pm

I'm sorry, but who's Selena?

Are you seriously asking who she is or are you just making a point that your response is "no"?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/12/05 at 10:42 pm

Selena was a beautiful and talented singer...I truly believe that she would still be around today, if it were not for that psycho biatch that murdered her.

Erin

Written By: ADH13 on 03/12/05 at 10:44 pm

Selena was a beautiful and talented singer...I truly believe that she would still be around today, if it were not for that psycho biatch that murdered her.

Erin

Only on "Inthe00's" will you find someone who likes The Ramones AND Selena =)  I do too, though..

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/12/05 at 10:45 pm

Only on "Inthe00's" will you find someone who likes The Ramones AND Selena =)  I do too, though..

totally true...but you forgot to add Barry Manilow in the mix!!! hahahaah

Erin :)

Written By: nally on 03/14/05 at 10:19 pm

Erin

I agree with you. She had great music, and sounded really good too. :\'(

The title track from her last album ("Dreaming Of You") and "I Could Fall In Love" were both big hits in the U.S.; I liked 'em both at the time they came out.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/15/05 at 9:25 pm

yes...those were great songs!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/15/05 at 9:46 pm

I still have a tape from a concert she did early '95...I got it off of The Spanish Channel...she definately would be around today :\'(

Written By: Jennifer028 on 03/16/05 at 4:35 pm

I'd say no

Written By: ADH13 on 03/24/05 at 10:33 pm

Thanks to all of you who answered this poll - my nephew got an "A" on his presentation on Selena.  :)

And yes, the anniversary of her death is coming soon... for those who don't know who Selena is, I'm sure the movie will be on TV next week...

Thanks again!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/24/05 at 10:44 pm

I'd say no
There are people around today with way LESS or NO talent who are being labeled as superstars....so How can you say that? Just Curious ???

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/24/05 at 10:46 pm

Selena was very talented and a beautiful person...i can almost bet that she would have maintained her popularity.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/24/05 at 10:54 pm

Selena was very talented and a beautiful person...i can almost bet that she would have maintained her popularity.

She had more talent in her pinkie finger than J-Ho has in her whole body...I am sure Selena would be a huge star today...had she lived :\'(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/24/05 at 10:54 pm

She had more talent in her pinkie finger than J-Ho has in her whole body...I am sure Selena would be a huge star today...had she lived :\'(

I totally agree with you Mark....she ran circles around J-L0

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/24/05 at 10:59 pm

I totally agree with you Mark....she ran circles around J-L0

;) Thanks, Erin....I just can't believe how anybody could think that she wouldn't be a star now, given the talented lady she was :-\\

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/24/05 at 11:00 pm

oh my gosh...I know!! The songs that she did come out with are still played regularly on the radio....she was so young....she had so much life left in her...it just wasn't fair.

Erin  :\'(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/24/05 at 11:14 pm

oh my gosh...I know!! The songs that she did come out with are still played regularly on the radio....she was so young....she had so much life left in her...it just wasn't fair.

Erin  :\'(
To even consider that some of the "Talent" of today would overshadow her would surely mean a pipe with some crack in it :D ::)

Written By: ADH13 on 03/24/05 at 11:17 pm

Yeah.. while I don't know many adults who like Christina Aguilera or Britney Spears, it seemed like Selena appealed to all ages...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/24/05 at 11:19 pm

Yeah.. while I don't know many adults who like Christina Aguilera or Britney Spears, it seemed like Selena appealed to all ages...

that is very true....she was alot classier..it seemed!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/24/05 at 11:26 pm

Yep ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/24/05 at 11:27 pm

that is very true....she was alot classier..it seemed!

Let's not forget "Talented" ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/24/05 at 11:29 pm

yes...definitely!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/24/05 at 11:31 pm

yes...definitely!

:)

Written By: ADH13 on 03/24/05 at 11:32 pm

Heh if my nephew wants to listen to Selena 24/7 instead of rap.... I'm not gonna argue!!

He can understand spanish though, and I don't... otherwise I'd probably listen to it too!

Written By: george78 on 03/25/05 at 10:25 am

I totally agree. Selena could have been a huge star in the US. She was a superstar in the Mexican community. I had a lot of Mexican friends growing up and they said people of all ages loved her. Kids, parents, and grandparents were fans. How many other artists have an audience with all age groups? Not many.

Selena's first English album hit #1 on the pop charts and "Dreaming Of You" reached #22 on the singles chart.

Here's another thing.....since JLo's career got a boost because of her role playing Selena....if Selena was still alive, then JLo wouldn't have been in the movie.......she wouldn't have been famous and we wouldn't have to see her face everywhere................d*mn Selena's killer!  >:(

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/25/05 at 5:47 pm

I say no, simply because Tejano music would have died off by the time Selena recorded her next CD. Latinos are already trying out Spanish language rock and pop.

Written By: george78 on 03/28/05 at 2:31 pm

I say no, simply because Tejano music would have died off by the time Selena recorded her next CD. Latinos are already trying out Spanish language rock and pop.

I don't understand.....what makes you think Tejano music would have died? Tejano music was around before Selena and after. Not only that, Latinos have had Spanish rock since the late 80s. Spanish Pop has been around even longer.

Written By: nally on 03/28/05 at 11:11 pm

Heh if my nephew wants to listen to Selena 24/7 instead of rap.... I'm not gonna argue!!

He can understand spanish though, and I don't... otherwise I'd probably listen to it too!

I can understand Spanish (and speak it), too. Congratulations on your nephew's report. :)

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/29/05 at 8:21 pm

I understand a good amount of Spanish, but not so much so that I understand the majority of lyrics in Spanish music. But despite that, I still enjoy Latin music. You don't always have to understand the lyrics to appreciate music. A good singer can communicate emotions across language barriers..

And I'm glad to hear that there are other young white people out there getting into Spanish. Here in Texas, I don't know any others that are "acculturating" to the Latin prescence.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/29/05 at 8:57 pm

Oh, and Selena is pretty good. But I think Julio Iglesias is better. But, that is mostly because I prefer male singers. Oh, and I also like Spanish music more than Latin American(Iglesias is a Spaniard).

Written By: ADH13 on 03/29/05 at 9:04 pm

Oh, and Selena is pretty good. But I think Julio Iglesias is better. But, that is mostly because I prefer male singers. Oh, and I also like Spanish music more than Latin American(Iglesias is a Spaniard).

I do need to be able to understand the lyrics to really enjoy a song...

Written By: zcrito on 03/29/05 at 10:26 pm

I don't know...for me, there are some songs with lyrics I don't understand but I like 'em anyway

Mais Que Nada -- Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66
Eres Tu -- Mocedades

I'm sure everyone has one or two they can think of.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/29/05 at 10:29 pm

maybe I should clarify that, btw.. when I read it I realized it could have two meanings...

I don't necessarily need to be able to understand the meaning of lyrics as a whole.. like the message the song is relaying...

But I do need to be able to understand the language the song is sung in...

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/29/05 at 10:35 pm

Maybe your nephew can help you learn some Spanish. :)

Written By: zcrito on 03/29/05 at 10:38 pm

maybe I should clarify that, btw.. when I read it I realized it could have two meanings...

I don't necessarily need to be able to understand the meaning of lyrics as a whole.. like the message the song is relaying...

But I do need to be able to understand the language the song is sung in...

No problem. I understood you to mean the language the song is sung in. But I still don't think that's true for most people.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/29/05 at 10:39 pm

Maybe your nephew can help you learn some Spanish. :)

I actually can read Spanish pretty well...  and I could understand it if it was spoken very slowly.. but most spanish speakers talk too fast...  by the time my mind processes and translates the first two words, they're already 2 sentences past me...

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/29/05 at 10:41 pm

I actually can read Spanish pretty well... and I could understand it if it was spoken very slowly.. but most spanish speakers talk too fast... by the time my mind processes and translates the first two words, they're already 2 sentences past me...

Yeah a lot of people have that problem. I have it quite badly myself. It takes a lot of practice so that you immediately know the meanings when you hear words and you don't have to translate it in your head.

A good technique for learning words like that is to attach a visual image.

Example:

Manzana means "apple" so in your head say the word manzana, and at the same time, close your eyes and picture an apple when you say it to yourself. It works after a few times, at least for me. Hope that helps. :)

Also, its good you can read it. Learning to read Spanish first before i started learning to speak it helped BIG time because its phonetic so if you can read a word you know how to pronounce it.

Written By: nally on 03/29/05 at 10:49 pm

I actually can read Spanish pretty well...

Same here. I can also read Spanish very well.

and I could understand it if it was spoken very slowly.. but most spanish speakers talk too fast...

Me too. Even though I've been studying Spanish for a long time (and took four years of high school Spanish), I still wouldn't be able to understand a fluent (or native) speaker 100%.

by the time my mind processes and translates the first two words, they're already 2 sentences past me...

I can totally relate. It would be just like a spanish version of John Moschitta; my mind does not process information that fast.

Written By: Mandi on 03/29/05 at 11:18 pm

Nope she was killed on March 31st 1995 so it will be 10 years very soon.

to tell u the truth selena was the best singer ever and that is the truth because i am probley one of her biggest fans i own  her parents and ever thing i was eveer at her wedding and funeral was ya  :-[ :\'(

Written By: ADH13 on 03/29/05 at 11:27 pm

to tell u the truth selena was the best singer ever and that is the truth because i am probley one of her biggest fans i own  her parents and ever thing i was eveer at her wedding and funeral was ya  :-[ :\'(

I'm sorry... did you say you OWN her parents?  or was that a typo?

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/29/05 at 11:29 pm

I think she might have meant to type that she knows her parents.

Written By: Dianna on 04/08/05 at 11:07 am

I think that you should open your eyes or ears whatever, Tejano music is still very popular, you must not be Mexican!!!! and yes she would still be very famous, she didn't only sing tejano music she started singing pop and get good reviews! If JLo could be that famous I'm positive Selena would be more, JLo and Brittneycant even sing and look how famous they are, imagine if Selena was alive! her voice is 200% better!!!!!! >:(

Written By: bigrene2 on 05/25/07 at 8:23 am

I Could Fall in Love

Her Album Came out of July Of 95' , But She Died On Friday, March 31, 1995.

Written By: nally on 05/29/07 at 10:13 pm

Her Album Came out of July Of 95' , But She Died On Friday, March 31, 1995.

So? A lot of musicians have had hits after they died. John Lennon did, for one.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/30/07 at 11:41 am

Wow, this topic is old, lol!

Since I'm here, I may as well answer the original question - if she had lived, I think she would've been successful with '90s AC for awhile longer and would've probably attained at least a decent fanbase, but wouldn't be that popular today or anytime after c. 2001. I'll bet she'd be sort of in the boat with artists like Celine Dion, that period's Madonna, or for a male comparison, perhaps Michael Bolton.

I have seen pieces of the movie on TV before, and I agree what happened to her was a real tragedy (this happened to so many '90s artists in one way or another). While I wasn't a huge fan, I do like the song "Dreaming Of You" - which I actually didn't remember hearing until a few years ago.

Written By: Watcher29 on 05/31/07 at 7:02 am

I don't know if she'd be famous today if still alive. Fame is a fickle mistress.

Written By: snozberries on 06/02/07 at 11:31 pm

I don't know if she'd be famous today if still alive. Fame is a fickle mistress.

I was thinking the same thing. She was a good singer- although I always thought she annunciated her words too much- but wasn't the English album she was going to release mostly cover songs? Its hard to judge based on that. Look at most of the similar artists who were big in the 90's.  Gloria Estefan, Mariah Carey, Whitney. They are still around but would you say that they are as big now as they were then? I don't think so. 

Maybe it has to do with the way music is accessed now. We buy far less CDs now thanks to iTunes and similar sites.  And we "value" a different kind of celebrity... Britney, Lindsay, Paris... sure the young ones will look back at this time with shame but ya know I don't know that they're get there fast enough for me.

I think, and this is only my opinion, Selena - had she been allowed to live would be like Debbie Gibson (80's reference) still working hard but not as popular as she was once was....

Subject: Selena

Written By: Dude111 on 03/01/18 at 11:32 pm

No, b/c when she was killed I didn't have any idea of who she was.

I didnt either but the movie was fantastic......... Very sad how she died :(

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/02/18 at 12:10 am

She would've been too genuine for this industry.

Written By: 90s Guy on 03/02/18 at 7:06 am

I have a question....

Who here outside of the South/Texas, and outside of our members of Latino descent area heard of her PRIOR to her death?
Not asking as a knock on her just trying to gauge her pre-death popularity.

Written By: Howard on 03/02/18 at 7:32 am

She would've been too genuine for this industry.

In 2018? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...