inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Britney Spears

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/14/05 at 12:56 am

When I first saw the video for "Baby One More Time" I new that she was the next Debbie Gibson. She looks like her and she dances like her, but having said that, Debbie is more talented than Britney. For a start, She started writing her own songs at an early age, she can play an instrument and lastly Debbie has got a voice and a half on her. Something Britney has yet to achieve. I've never in my life seen Britney, play write and produce her own music like Debbie has and to top it all up, Britney can't act unlike Debbie and she has even starred in the Westend production of "Grease". I 've seen her at the Westend production of "Grease" and she was absolutley superb. Britney just doesn't have that sort of talent.

Subject: Re: Britney Spears

Written By: Arvig on 03/14/05 at 6:51 am

To be honest, I'd call Britney more the next Tiffany, if you're going to compare 80's teen pop singers to current ones.  Britney did one or two cover songs (her IMO HORRID cover of "Satisfaction" comes to mind...), I'm hard pressed to think of a song by Tiffany that isn't a cover song.  I'm sure she has a few, but I don't remember any off hand.  I never liked teen pop, but I can respect Debbie Gibson for being a song writer and having a good voice, and for her broadway career as an adult...Britney...well...okay, I don't HATE her, but not like I'd do much more then shrug if I did meet her face to face, to be honest.  In fact...the only thing I can think of that I like about Britney is that I think she was, maybe still is friends with Natalie Portman, seen a few photos of them hanging out for instance.

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/14/05 at 7:20 am

To be honest, I'd call Britney more the next Tiffany, if you're going to compare 80's teen pop singers to current ones.  Britney did one or two cover songs (her IMO HORRID cover of "Satisfaction" comes to mind...), I'm hard pressed to think of a song by Tiffany that isn't a cover song.  I'm sure she has a few, but I don't remember any off hand.  I never liked teen pop, but I can respect Debbie Gibson for being a song writer and having a good voice, and for her broadway career as an adult...Britney...well...okay, I don't HATE her, but not like I'd do much more then shrug if I did meet her face to face, to be honest.  In fact...the only thing I can think of that I like about Britney is that I think she was, maybe still is friends with Natalie Portman, seen a few photos of them hanging out for instance.

No way can you can you compare Britney to Tiffany. What a stupid thing to say. I would she's 100% the next Debbie Gibson.

Written By: Arvig on 03/14/05 at 8:52 am

Bah, maybe we have a different perception of Britney Spears, but I see Britney as overrated fluff to be honest, and IMO so is Tiffany when comparing to Debbie Gibson.  That or maybe we're making different comparsions, I'm thinking more talent and whom I respect due to having talent, even if it's not a musical form I follow much, you're possibly comparing career in general?  I guess if Debbie Gibson has a comparsion talentwise to another teen pop singer, I'd come closer to Christina Agurila (sp?), I've heard claims that she's the late 90's teen pop singer with the actual talent at least voicewise, never looked to see if she write more of her own material. 

Personality-wise...don't know if there is any comparsion between Debbie Gibson and a late 90's/current teen pop singer.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/14/05 at 10:44 am

No way can you can you compare Britney to Tiffany. What a stupid thing to say. I would she's 100% the next Debbie Gibson.

I'd have to agree with the Tiffany comparison. Debbie was far more talented then than Britney is now. She rarely lip-synched and she could sing (in teen pop standards). Britney doesn't sing. She whines and tries to use her sexuality to overcome her singing disability by using her body. When the teen pop princess time came around, I always thought she was the least talented. Christina Aguilera was the most talented, followed by Mandy Moore and Jessica Simpson.

Tanya

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 03/14/05 at 11:06 am

Debbie Gibson was indeed more talented then Britney Spears, but neither Debbie Gibson or Tiffany EVER achieved the star power of Britney Spears.  Debbie and Tiffany look like small time mall acts compared to Britney, who for a while there during 1999-2002 seemed more like Madonna. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/14/05 at 1:11 pm

I have said this before, Britney Spears is overrated.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 03/14/05 at 4:06 pm

http://www.britneyspears.com/

Howard

Written By: Arvig on 03/14/05 at 4:19 pm

I don't know why, but that link that Howard referred to really cracked me up.  Yes, it's just Britney's official site, but at least when I linked to it, they had a banner of Britney with pink tears (yes, pink) drawn on her face!  The dark circles under her eyes...is that smeared mascara?  Bruises?  And attempt to imitate a raccoon?  Then the text, saying "From The Heart...".

Sorry, just seemed really pretentious and inept at the same time.  Hopefully that banner will still be there after I post so people can see what I mean.  ;)

Written By: woops on 05/17/05 at 8:59 pm

Ironically, I started to get into Deb's post teen pop music in 1999...

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 08/02/06 at 9:36 am

When I first saw the video for "Baby One More Time" I new that she was the next Debbie Gibson. She looks like her and she dances like her, but having said that, Debbie is more talented than Britney. For a start, She started writing her own songs at an early age, she can play an instrument and lastly Debbie has got a voice and a half on her. Something Britney has yet to achieve. I've never in my life seen Britney, play write and produce her own music like Debbie has and to top it all up, Britney can't act unlike Debbie and she has even starred in the Westend production of "Grease". I 've seen her at the Westend production of "Grease" and she was absolutley superb. Britney just doesn't have that sort of talent.

Hi Caroline, noo Maria..ooops sorry Dave  ;D

I heard Britney Spears singing 'Sometimes' on the radio this morning and it prompted me to go and buy one of her CD's, fortunately they had one on offer in HMV for

Written By: PinkysBrain on 08/02/06 at 5:29 pm

I don't think Britney is anything like Debra or Tiffany...sure D and T are more talented...but B has been in the public eye non stop for years...and T and D were total mall playing one hit wonders  :D

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/02/06 at 5:56 pm

I'd have to agree with the Tiffany comparison. Debbie was far more talented then than Britney is now. She rarely lip-synched and she could sing (in teen pop standards). Britney doesn't sing. She whines and tries to use her sexuality to overcome her singing disability by using her body. When the teen pop princess time came around, I always thought she was the least talented. Christina Aguilera was the most talented, followed by Mandy Moore and Jessica Simpson.

Tanya

I agree with that. Debbie was quite talented, in her own way (I was listening to "Only In My Dreams" on the radio the other day), and had this whole "innocent, cute pop" aesthetic that was totally enjoyable. Britney couldn't sing for her supper if she were starving.

Written By: woops on 08/02/06 at 7:27 pm

Deborah Gibson still releases good music

And the record of being the youngest artist to write, produce, and record a #1 ht ("Foolish Beat" at age 17) still holds

BTW, Deb wasn't a one hit wonder... http://www.discomuseum.com/DebbieGibson.html

And teens now up to Hillary Duff, Lindsay Lohan, and even 21 year old   (one of the very few young actresses I respect)  Ashley Tisdale

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/02/06 at 7:42 pm

Deborah Gibson still releases good music

And the record of being the youngest artist to write, produce, and record a #1 ht ("Foolish Beat" at age 17) still holds

BTW, Deb wasn't a one hit wonder... http://www.discomuseum.com/DebbieGibson.html

And teens now up to Hillary Duff, Lindsay Lohan, and even 21 year old   (one of the very few young actresses I respect)  Ashley Tisdale

You make this point in about 100% of your posts. We're not saying that she's bad now. She's not successful. Maybe she deserves to be, but she isn't. The "deserve" part doesn't matter.

Check for new replies or respond here...