inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most memorable event of the 90s...

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/24/05 at 11:08 pm

What single event or moment do you remember most from the 90s, or in your opinion defined the 90s as a decade? I mean a single event, no ongoing things like the War in Bosnia.etc. I can think of several defining things, including the O.J. Simpson trial, Death of Princess Diana, etc. but for me it was probably the rise of 'Grunge' driven by bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam which totally changed the music industry, pop culture. To narrow it down to the moment, I would have to say the release of Nirvana's 'Nevermind' album.  While music may not be the most important thing, it is the one 'event' that I think really shaped the 90s.

Subject: Re: Most memorable event of the 90s...

Written By: ADH13 on 03/24/05 at 11:15 pm

What single event or moment do you remember most from the 90s, or in your opinion defined the 90s as a decade? I mean a single event, no ongoing things like the War in Bosnia.etc. I can think of several defining things, including the O.J. Simpson trial, Death of Princess Diana, etc. but for me it was probably the rise of 'Grunge' driven by bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam which totally changed the music industry, pop culture. To narrow it down to the moment, I would have to say the release of Nirvana's 'Nevermind' album.  While music may not be the most important thing, it is the one 'event' that I think really shaped the 90s.

I agree about Nirvana, although I don't think it defined the 90's in a good way.  I blame the end of modern rock & rock on that stupid group.

Didn't they make some grunge woodstock in the early 90's too?  >:(

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 04/30/05 at 1:21 pm

I have to say the election of Bill Clinton as president.

Written By: gord on 05/01/05 at 12:50 pm

I agree about Nirvana, although I don't think it defined the 90's in a good way.  I blame the end of modern rock & rock on that stupid group.

some would say they, and a few others helped to save music from the sad state it was in in the late 80s-early 90s ;)

Written By: Kareoke Queen on 05/01/05 at 1:51 pm

My memoriable moment of the 1990's was the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales in 1997 and the wedding of Sophie Reece Jones and Prince Andrew.

Written By: supercute on 05/25/05 at 4:23 pm

NEWS:

O.J.
Bill Clinton playing sax on Arsenio
Mother Teresa/Princess Diana's deaths so close to another
JFK Jr.
Columbine killing
Oklahoma City Bombing

ENTERTAINMENT:

Celine Dion getting overplayed in 1998/success of Titanic
controversy between 2Pac & B.I.G. & both of them getting shot
Prince changing his name to a symbol
Michael Jackson & Lisa Marie kissing
Whitney Houston & Bobby Brown's crazy marriage
Madonna's "Sex" book

So far, this is all I can think of.  :)

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/28/05 at 2:34 am

OJ Trial. I was big into that. Biggest deal of the 90's, for me.

Check for new replies or respond here...