inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do the 90s belong to Generation X or Y?

Written By: DevoRule on 04/05/05 at 1:33 pm

I'd say X, but only up to 1996.  1997-99 is part of today's youth culture.  The early 90s, on the other hand, IS Gen X.  Grunge, Beavis and Butthead, how can it not be? 

The 80s is too though, of course.  X wins because it gets 7 years of the decade whereas Y only gets 3.

Subject: Re: Do the 90s belong to Generation X or Y?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/05/05 at 1:53 pm

generation x owned the 90s, thank you and we're not giving it back. well, you can have the spice girls and the boy bands. hell, have it all after '97.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/05/05 at 2:43 pm

I did some research and found that actually 1995 would be the last cultural year for X.  Grunge and B&B were pretty much done here by that year. Anyways, I can't go on to explain because it's just been so confusing.  I don't feel like an Xer just because I graduated h.s. in '96.  This is such a topic to love and hate.  Besides I don't go by culture anymore, I go by actual birthrates 'n all.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/05/05 at 3:37 pm

When I think gen x, I always think the '80s, the '80s are the decade when gen x had the most cultural influence. The '90s are split between later gen xers and earlier gen y.

Written By: george78 on 04/05/05 at 3:59 pm

I read a few years ago that Generation Xers were born between 1965-1979. Which makes sense when you think about it.

Written By: DevoRule on 04/05/05 at 7:58 pm

I read a few years ago that Generation Xers were born between 1965-1979. Which makes sense when you think about it.

Sounds right, although 80-82 imo is borderline X. 

I'd say 1990 to 1994 is DEFINITELY gen x.  Really 1987 to 1993 is the core of the period.  1995-96 is sorta both but leaning on X and 97-98 is both on Y.  1999 is definitely Y.  1999 IS early Gen Y.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/05/05 at 10:30 pm

Sounds right, although 80-82 imo is borderline X. 

I'd say 1990 to 1994 is DEFINITELY gen x.  Really 1987 to 1993 is the core of the period.  1995-96 is sorta both but leaning on X and 97-98 is both on Y.  1999 is definitely Y.  1999 IS early Gen Y.

I believe x extends up to 1982, but the core xers are born from the late 60s to the late 70s. X is the '80s generation, though gen x's influnence in pop culture lasted till about 1995 or so. Gen y first started to show it's face in the mid '90s, and now is in it's prime. Y will be remembered as the '00s generation most likely. The '90s is split between gen x and y, so it doesn't belong to either in my opinion. Y works the same way, y goes from about 1983-2000, but the core gen y is mid '80s-mid '90s born, basically today's teens.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/05/05 at 11:51 pm

Neither. I am Generation Alex.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/06/05 at 9:17 pm

generation x owned the 90s, thank you and we're not giving it back. well, you can have the spice girls and the boy bands. hell, have it all after '97.

Hello! Here, here. After that the Yers blew the music scene like a snotty rag.

Tanya

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/07/05 at 1:18 am

generation X

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/07/05 at 1:19 am

What about those who don't fit into the stereotypes of X or Y?

Written By: DevoRule on 04/07/05 at 9:20 pm

What about those who don't fit into the stereotypes of X or Y?

It's not necessarily fitting the stereotypes, it's more an age group that has seen generally the same time span.  For instance, Gen Yers spent their little kid years about 1987-2000, came/will come of age in this decade, and will be grown up in the 2010s (some are now, but I mean the whole gen).  I'd say if you were between the ages of 6 and 17 when 9/11 happened you're probably Gen Y.  If you were between 12 and 24 when the Cold War ended in 1989-90 you're probably an Xer.  Your little kid days would be during the times of hippies and disco, you'd grow up with AIDS and Cold War, and grew up in the 90s and 2000s.  There is some overlap, I consider Gen Y to be more a fairly short generation.  I mean for 1999, the WTC attacks, and Iraq to mean anything to you (and still be in your youth) you'd have to be born from about 1980 to 1994.  Not really that long compared to the Gen X or Boomer birth span.  Unless something of 9/11 or Iraq magnitude happens in the next 7 or 8 years, which I think is very possible if not probable.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/07/05 at 9:35 pm

I wonder what the next generation will be like. A lot of generation's collective personalities form in reaction to what their predeccesors(i.e. parents) were like.

Generation Y, we are the echo-boomers, meaning, for the most part, we are the kids of Baby Boomers. While our parents moved in the direction of being more tolerant and open, concerned with world affairs, and seemed to have a stronger collective concious as a generation, mine is the opposite. We are more self-involved and have less of the 'my generation' feeling, we are generally ignorant of world affairs, and we seam to have a very broad nationalistic streak compared to our parents.

I'd say we act a lot more like the teens of the 50s than our parents. We are rebellious in a purely social sense, but we are pretty uninterested in politics and seem to be somewhat if not very supportive of the establishment.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/07/05 at 9:47 pm

Gen Y does tend to be somewhat, more conservative than Gen X. - Thats all I have to say...

Written By: DevoRule on 04/08/05 at 12:48 am

I wonder what the next generation will be like. A lot of generation's collective personalities form in reaction to what their predeccesors(i.e. parents) were like.

Generation Y, we are the echo-boomers, meaning, for the most part, we are the kids of Baby Boomers. While our parents moved in the direction of being more tolerant and open, concerned with world affairs, and seemed to have a stronger collective concious as a generation, mine is the opposite. We are more self-involved and have less of the 'my generation' feeling, we are generally ignorant of world affairs, and we seam to have a very broad nationalistic streak compared to our parents.

I'd say we act a lot more like the teens of the 50s than our parents. We are rebellious in a purely social sense, but we are pretty uninterested in politics and seem to be somewhat if not very supportive of the establishment.

I know! To be honest I dislike my generation.  I don't like the attitude, music, clothes, anything.  There's so many kids my age who kiss Bush's a**.  I think the Yuppie movement is why today's kids are so Conservative, also religion is more popular today because of the times.  I see religion as wishful thinking: we only accept God when we need him most.  ::)

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/08/05 at 12:58 am

Yeah, its economics. you are right, DevoRule.

The 50s generation grew up in a very, very stable and prosperous time. Those types of times lead to apathy, arrogance, blind patriotism etc. I am talking about the 1945-1955 period.

And I think for us, growing up in the 90s had much the same effect.

Written By: DevoRule on 04/08/05 at 1:01 am

Yeah, its economics. you are right, DevoRule.

The 50s generation grew up in a very, very stable and prosperous time. Those types of times lead to apathy, arrogance, blind patriotism etc. I am talking about the 1945-1955 period.

And I think for us, growing up in the 90s had much the same effect.

Definitely.  The 90s spoiled us with the prosperity and security.

Written By: 1992thousand on 04/11/05 at 10:15 am

it belongs to X and Y, but mostly it belongs to X because Yers only began to "come of age"(graduate) about 97 or 98, and pretty the first wave Yers(79ish-85ish) are basically "X-like" with a little more tech skills. Technically, since some people say GenX is 65-85 that would make just about everyone who entered high school in the 90s X, by that logic the 90s pretty much completely belongs to X.

Written By: DevoRule on 04/15/05 at 8:50 pm

it belongs to X and Y, but mostly it belongs to X because Yers only began to "come of age"(graduate) about 97 or 98, and pretty the first wave Yers(79ish-85ish) are basically "X-like" with a little more tech skills. Technically, since some people say GenX is 65-85 that would make just about everyone who entered high school in the 90s X, by that logic the 90s pretty much completely belongs to X.

I think September 1997 to Dec 1999 belongs to Y, and of course the 2000s.  The late 90s are still a little different from now though, especially in the past 7 or 8 months with the return of New Wave.

Written By: boyof90s on 04/21/05 at 8:21 pm

my situation is a bit strange. my mom is a baby boomer(1953) also is my dad(1955). the evidence i somewhat consider my self a gen x er cause i was born early 90's as my parents married late.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 04/22/05 at 9:52 pm

There is nothing cool about being a Gen Xer anymore.  In 1995 or 1996 it was cool, but not now.  How can it be?  Not when people born in 1965 turn 40 this year and the rest of the late 60s people are pushing 40.  Not when some kid born in 1990 can drive a car today.

The truth is that the stereotypical "Gen Xer" was born roughly during 1963-'64/1965 to 1970.  They are the ones who were 20 somethings that had such a big problem in the early 90s recession finding jobs and being unemployed despite having college degrees.  The rest of us born in the 70s have always just been tagged onto that because it was a cool pop culture label. 

I was born in 1975 and I share a ton of pop cultural experiences with someone born in 1969 and 1970, but I was in high school and living off of mom and dad in the early 1990s.  The recession hurt my family, but I never developed any kind of vendetta against Baby Boomers because of that, like so many born around 1965 and 1966 seem to have.  I am old enough to love and appreciate the 80s because I was there, but I am young enough to critisize the 80s for having so many lame moments (I scold the 80s for bieng stupid out of love, and I have the right to since I was there) and to know how corny and campy it was too, that decade did wear out it's welcome.  The 90s have worn out it's welcome too. 

Written By: DevoRule on 04/22/05 at 11:05 pm

There is nothing cool about being a Gen Xer anymore.  In 1995 or 1996 it was cool, but not now.  How can it be?  Not when people born in 1965 turn 40 this year and the rest of the late 60s people are pushing 40.  Not when some kid born in 1990 can drive a car today.

The truth is that the stereotypical "Gen Xer" was born roughly during 1963-'64/1965 to 1970.  They are the ones who were 20 somethings that had such a big problem in the early 90s recession finding jobs and being unemployed despite having college degrees.  The rest of us born in the 70s have always just been tagged onto that because it was a cool pop culture label. 

I was born in 1975 and I share a ton of pop cultural experiences with someone born in 1969 and 1970, but I was in high school and living off of mom and dad in the early 1990s.  The recession hurt my family, but I never developed any kind of vendetta against Baby Boomers because of that, like so many born around 1965 and 1966 seem to have.  I am old enough to love and appreciate the 80s because I was there, but I am young enough to critisize the 80s for having so many lame moments (I scold the 80s for bieng stupid out of love, and I have the right to since I was there) and to know how corny and campy it was too, that decade did wear out it's welcome.  The 90s have worn out it's welcome too. 

Agreed. I also think it's overrated how much today is like the 90s.  Maybe in 2002, even 2003, it was valid, but 2005? Give me a break.  Today has little in common with the 90s besides Avril Lavigne and Green Day.  Seriously.  I see almost as much 80s in 2005 as I do 90s. 

The 90s was about being a Yuppie or a slacker.  Today it's about being a Clubber or hating on "******s".

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 04/30/05 at 5:40 pm

Gen Y does tend to be somewhat, more conservative than Gen X. - Thats all I have to say...

More conservative, yes, and more "together" in a lot of ways. 

I'm almost 33 and have held so many jobs I'v lost count.  I've accumulated over 100 college credits, drop in and out, and haven't graduated.  My brother (30), sister (29), and friends from high school are the same way, though some of them are parents and take very good care of their kids.

At my current job, I'm amazed at the number of kids in their 20's who are settled in for the long haul.  I wouldn't have dreamed of working straight 9-5 in my early 20's -- but many of the women at my job are that age, are satisfied, and are a hell of a lot more "stable" than me or most of the xers I know in terms of finances and resume.

Having said all this: I wouldn't trade my 20s for theirs.  Not only did I enjoy the ride, but I think we x-ers are in general a lot more resilient and resourceful than the young-uns due to our "extended adolescences."

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/06/06 at 12:49 am

It belong to any younger person who was old enough to live through and remember them.

Check for new replies or respond here...