inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will future generations be able to tell the difference between the 90s and 00s?

Written By: DevoRule on 04/16/05 at 1:28 pm

I'm not sure on this subject.  My guess is that the youth of the 2020s (I'll be in my 30s!) will have a bit of trouble distinguishing the 90s from 2000s, well at least the late half of the 90s to early half of the Zero Decade, but anyone with half a nut's worth of pop culture would figure the 1994 movie looks a bit older than the 2002 movie. 
In general though, I think they will be lumped together.  I must say the 2000s are a bit too much like the 90s than I would wish but they're definitely a different decade.  After all typically it takes about 20 and not 10 years for pop culture to be refaced. 

Sometimes the 60s and 70s are lumped together, including by myself, but that's more ignorance than anything.  I think the 90s and 2000s will get that a lot.

Teen in 2020: "I was born in 2004, was that pretty much the 90s?"
Friend of Teen: "I would think so.  Rap and grunge were HUGE then."
Kid born in 1983 slaps face with hand, half in disgust and disagreement and half in agreement.

;D

Subject: Re: Will future generations be able to tell the difference between the 90s and 00s?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/16/05 at 2:09 pm

i know some people get the 60s and 70s mixed together, because the latter half of the 60s blended so well with the first half of the 70s. the same can be said about the late 80s and early 90s.

one could imagine the youth of the future would get the 90s and 00s mixed up.

Subject: Re: Will future generations be able to tell the difference between the 90s and 00s?

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/16/05 at 2:21 pm

I know I can do it easily, but I've been around for both. I don't think future generations will be able to notice as much though, because there are a number of similarites, there are a number of differences though.

Subject: Re: Will future generations be able to tell the difference between the 90s and 0

Written By: DevoRule on 04/16/05 at 3:09 pm

I know I can do it easily, but I've been around for both. I don't think future generations will be able to notice as much though, because there are a number of similarites, there are a number of differences though.

Exactly.  While I HATE it when people say 2003 is just like 1994 you can't deny that even today there are many 90s holdovers.  But they're still the exception rather than the norm: A lot of 90s style simply are obsolete today, and some 90s music genres, like that dance stuff in the early 90s (Technotronic and such) is extremely dated now.  Could you imagine a song like "Groove is in the Heart" or "Rhythm is a Dancer" coming out today?  Even Grunge is a bit dated.

Written By: Kyle on 04/17/05 at 8:02 pm

Same thing as 2005 is a lot like 1995.  Wrong, to an extent.  It is much closer to 1998-1999 than it is to 1995.  Even though the goth look was big this year, and tapes still exist, it is a totally different ball game.  The year 1999 is in the ballpark of 2005 and maybe early 2006, but things are gonna start to change pretty soon.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/17/05 at 10:17 pm

This may sound a bit too simplistic, but wouldn't a calender suffice? I know the 50s from 60s, 60s from 70s and so on.

Subject: Re: Will future generations be able to tell the difference between the 90s and 0

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/18/05 at 3:22 am

This may sound a bit too simplistic, but wouldn't a calender suffice? I know the 50s from 60s, 60s from 70s and so on.
You should know... you're from the future.  ???

Written By: Red Ant on 04/18/05 at 4:31 am

You should know... you're from the future.  ???

You are correct. However the Great Calender Fiasco that happened sometime in the mid 2020's will make that hard to do ( THAT one is hard to explain ). Most music was lost as well sometime after that. I'm here to save the Grunge music. Everything before the 90s was archived, and nothing afterwards is worth saving.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/18/05 at 4:38 am

Everything before the 90s was archived, and nothing afterwards is worth saving.
There is a God.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/18/05 at 4:48 am

There is a God.

Well, we still haven't found a " God " yet so to speak, and I do not remember a lot of information ( time-travel is sorta of like the show Quantum Leap when you forget certain things-this show is a mandatory class for perspective time travellers ) such as who did the archiving of the music, but in the year 2065 there is a huge statue in his honor ( I must get back to 2065, that is where my wife and I were planning our 10th wedding anniversary vacation ).

Have a nice yesterday ( little time-travel joke there ).

Written By: DevoRule on 04/19/05 at 5:23 pm

I guess, but I'm not debating the calendar; I'm more asking how similar are the 1990s and the Zero Decade (besides the date  ;) )

Written By: Red Ant on 04/19/05 at 6:26 pm

I guess, but I'm not debating the calendar; I'm more asking how similar are the 1990s and the Zero Decade (besides the date  ;) )

Well, as far as movies go, I think that there will be some blurring, but with the special effects in use today I suspect not much.

Trends are badly blurred as I see them in pop culture ( many holdovers from the 90s to the 2000s ). Although anyone seeing a dance ensemble video or one with lots of " bling " ( or a video with more than 30 people ) in it will assume it came from the late 90s or 2000s.

Back to my original premise on MUSIC alone, the 90s vs 2000s are very different. Notably almost* every video/song in the past 5 years has sucked.

There are a few very good songs out now ( that aren't covers of original songs ). However I will remember the 2000s as ( to paraphrase American Pie ):

The decade the music REALLY died.

Written By: DevoRule on 04/19/05 at 6:41 pm

Well, as far as movies go, I think that there will be some blurring, but with the special effects in use today I suspect not much.

Trends are badly blurred as I see them in pop culture ( many holdovers from the 90s to the 2000s ). Although anyone seeing a dance ensemble video or one with lots of " bling " ( or a video with more than 30 people ) in it will assume it came from the late 90s or 2000s.

Back to my original premise on MUSIC alone, the 90s vs 2000s are very different. Notably almost* every video/song in the past 5 years has sucked.

There are a few very good songs out now ( that aren't covers of original songs ). However I will remember the 2000s as ( to paraphrase American Pie ):

The decade the music REALLY died.

Well written.  I'd agree except I think there have been good bands in the past five years.  Mainstream music was definitely better in the nineties though. 

Red Ant, what would say is the cultural period tied with  the "nineties" decade? I'd say 1991 to 2000 in terms of pop culture, although 99 and 00 imo blend together the 90s and 2000s.  1990 is still kinda really late 80s from what I've seen from that time.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/20/05 at 12:37 am

Red Ant, what would say is the cultural period tied with  the "nineties" decade? I'd say 1991 to 2000 in terms of pop culture, although 99 and 00 imo blend together the 90s and 2000s.  1990 is still kinda really late 80s from what I've seen from that time.

Well, every prior decade has blended atleast the first year or two into the new decade almost without exception. Many people will remember say Eminem as strictly 2000s, but he made it big in 1999 ( just as Faith No More made it big in 1989 with Epic ( though they are considered one-hit wonders ), although they had been around since 1983 and made music up till 94 atleast ).

The 90s was a changing of the guard for me as hair metal was dying out, and harder rock, alternative/grunge, and gansta rap were big in the early to mid 90s. Of course, I listen to all but gangsta rap so I personally know when this happened. To me the " 90s " were from 1990 to 1997 .

This was represented in clothing styles, movies, attitudes, etc. As you start getting into 1997+, the lines get blurred again.

To me this is the OPPOSITE of say how the 60s were remembered, as most people I know say the 60s ( excluding President Kennedy ) started in 1964 and ended in around 1972. Examples are numerous: The Beatles, hippie lifestyles, protests on the Vietnam war ( mostly against ), the space race, cold war,etc.

For music anyway, the 70s was the probably the most changed decade in history on all fronts. How did they go from flower children to wearing lesuire suits and dancing dicso? I know that's a very broad generaliztion, but out of the last 40 years out music the 70s were almost as bad as the 2000s ( there are maybe 25 songs from 1975-1979 that I like, and that is including all the great artists of that time peroid ).

The 80s saw the end of disco ( thankfully ), and a shift towards  rock/ballads/hairmetal and experimental music ( such as The Art of Noise ). We also got some rap and breakdancing in here. I think in the future that the 80s will probably be the most misunderstood decade music-wise as there is a certain randomness here, with the excpetion of hair metal ( which is concrete 80s, atleast for me ).

Maybe a bit too much of an answer, but the main thing is that everyone will remember every single thing I mentioned almost without exception differently, such as what decade what event took place in, what decade was a song released in ( which is made all the harder by compilation/best-of albums and cover tunes ).

And of course you have people for when music basically stopped. My personal music "window" is from 1964-2000, with few exceptions especially after 2000. Most of what I see now is not innovative at all, and yes there are many good bands after 2000 ( I suppose ). Some people worship Elvis, The Beatles, or Britney Spears ( I personally listen to mostly hard rock, alternative and classical music with a few exceptions ) but I do not think any band out now will set any new records of any kind, simply because it's either been done before or just a modification of an older style of music. Plus, as I have said before, most stuff out there now is crap ( mostly wanna-be punk or artists ( mostly female ) that try to be too $exy/sleazy, carry on notes forever just as a vocal gymnastics lesson instead of trying to convey true feelings ). As for "modern" rap, I cannot stand music I cannot discern the vocals on ( or talk nothing but $ex, money, hoes, cars, etc. ).

PS- If you have any ideas on music after 2000 that might be good choices, I will give them a try. The 2000s still have 4 and a half years or so to not be remembered as the worst decade in music history. Of course, if this trend of suck continues, the 2010s will be even worse than the 2000s ( cringe ).

Written By: DevoRule on 04/20/05 at 4:29 pm

Well, every prior decade has blended atleast the first year or two into the new decade almost without exception. Many people will remember say Eminem as strictly 2000s, but he made it big in 1999 ( just as Faith No More made it big in 1989 with Epic ( though they are considered one-hit wonders ), although they had been around since 1983 and made music up till 94 atleast ).

The 90s was a changing of the guard for me as hair metal was dying out, and harder rock, alternative/grunge, and gansta rap were big in the early to mid 90s. Of course, I listen to all but gangsta rap so I personally know when this happened. To me the " 90s " were from 1990 to 1997 .

This was represented in clothing styles, movies, attitudes, etc. As you start getting into 1997+, the lines get blurred again.

To me this is the OPPOSITE of say how the 60s were remembered, as most people I know say the 60s ( excluding President Kennedy ) started in 1964 and ended in around 1972. Examples are numerous: The Beatles, hippie lifestyles, protests on the Vietnam war ( mostly against ), the space race, cold war,etc.

For music anyway, the 70s was the probably the most changed decade in history on all fronts. How did they go from flower children to wearing lesuire suits and dancing dicso? I know that's a very broad generaliztion, but out of the last 40 years out music the 70s were almost as bad as the 2000s ( there are maybe 25 songs from 1975-1979 that I like, and that is including all the great artists of that time peroid ).

The 80s saw the end of disco ( thankfully ), and a shift towards  rock/ballads/hairmetal and experimental music ( such as The Art of Noise ). We also got some rap and breakdancing in here. I think in the future that the 80s will probably be the most misunderstood decade music-wise as there is a certain randomness here, with the excpetion of hair metal ( which is concrete 80s, atleast for me ).

Maybe a bit too much of an answer, but the main thing is that everyone will remember every single thing I mentioned almost without exception differently, such as what decade what event took place in, what decade was a song released in ( which is made all the harder by compilation/best-of albums and cover tunes ).

And of course you have people for when music basically stopped. My personal music "window" is from 1964-2000, with few exceptions especially after 2000. Most of what I see now is not innovative at all, and yes there are many good bands after 2000 ( I suppose ). Some people worship Elvis, The Beatles, or Britney Spears ( I personally listen to mostly hard rock, alternative and classical music with a few exceptions ) but I do not think any band out now will set any new records of any kind, simply because it's either been done before or just a modification of an older style of music. Plus, as I have said before, most stuff out there now is crap ( mostly wanna-be punk or artists ( mostly female ) that try to be too $exy/sleazy, carry on notes forever just as a vocal gymnastics lesson instead of trying to convey true feelings ). As for "modern" rap, I cannot stand music I cannot discern the vocals on ( or talk nothing but $ex, money, hoes, cars, etc. ).

PS- If you have any ideas on music after 2000 that might be good choices, I will give them a try. The 2000s still have 4 and a half years or so to not be remembered as the worst decade in music history. Of course, if this trend of suck continues, the 2010s will be even worse than the 2000s ( cringe ).

Interesting.  When did Hair Metal die?  I've head it was getting old by 1990 or maybe even 1989 but it charted as late as 1992 (Mr. Big).  1988 and 89 have some "90s" music but it's overpowed by the 80s stuff.  Same with 1990 to a lesser extent, 1991 mostly is 90s.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/20/05 at 5:54 pm

Interesting.  When did Hair Metal die?  I've head it was getting old by 1990 or maybe even 1989 but it charted as late as 1992 (Mr. Big).  1988 and 89 have some "90s" music but it's overpowed by the 80s stuff.  Same with 1990 to a lesser extent, 1991 mostly is 90s.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, the 80s if you could pick one title for music would be the "Hair Metal " decade. Again, the lines blur from 80s to 90s, with groups such as Guns N' Roses ( who were considered at first hair metal ). I even recall that I believe than in 1992 when Alice in Chains released the Dirt CD that Brett Michaels of Poison saw their poster in the Columbia offices. Even he knew that hair metal was basically over. Also, as mentioned before, Metallica ( harder rock ) made it big in 1991 with the " Black " CD, and gangsta rap soon followed. Of course, several of the hair metal bands of the 80s persisted into the 90s ( and a few into the 2000s ), but the writing was on the wall for hair metal by 1992 ( as Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and my favorite Alice in Chains were all out there making very good music that defined the early to mid 90s ).

Hair metal was great for the time though, and I had several of their cassettes and would rather listen to anything hair metal than anything past 2000 ( with few exceptions ).

Written By: DevoRule on 04/20/05 at 5:57 pm

Well, as far as I'm concerned, the 80s if you could pick one title for music would be the "Hair Metal " decade. Again, the lines blur from 80s to 90s, with groups such as Guns N' Roses ( who were considered at first hair metal ). I even recall that I believe than in 1992 when Alice in Chains released the Dirt CD that Brett Michaels of Poison saw their poster in the Columbia offices. Even he knew that hair metal was basically over. Also, as mentioned before, Metallica ( harder rock ) made it big in 1991 with the " Black " CD, and gangsta rap soon followed. Of course, several of the hair metal bands of the 80s persisted into the 90s ( and a few into the 2000s ), but the writing was on the wall for hair metal by 1992 ( as Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and my favorite Alice in Chains were all out there making very good music that defined the early to mid 90s ).

Hair metal was great for the time though, and I had several of their cassettes and would rather listen to anything hair metal than anything past 2000 ( with few exceptions ).

Hair metal was probably the biggest 80s genre, but New Wave was definitely better imo.  Hair metal defined the 80s and New Wave critized it would be a good way to put it.  Grunge sounded anti-80s.  In my opinion 80s music ended in 1991.  Not 1989, not 1990, not 1992. 1991.  When "Teen Spirit" came out and the Old School west coast surpassed the East Coast rap.  1990 seems more late 80ish to me and 1992 seems almost purely 90s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/20/05 at 6:11 pm

^ For sure. I was 9 in 1991 and even I recall the definite shift in music even through the summer that year. I'd see alot of 80's sounding new stuff on VH1/MTV, but when school started again that Fall (certainly by Christmas) it just "felt" different. Even the more pop/Top 40 stuff was 90's-ish, but the rock certainly was.

In the first half of '91, cheery/happy pop like Amy Grant had big hits - I doubt if she came out even 1-2 years later, if it would've been nearly as successful.

Written By: DevoRule on 04/20/05 at 6:17 pm

^ For sure. I was 9 in 1991 and even I recall the definite shift in music even through the summer that year. I'd see alot of 80's sounding new stuff on VH1/MTV, but when school started again that Fall (certainly by Christmas) it just "felt" different. Even the more pop/Top 40 stuff was 90's-ish, but the rock certainly was.

In the first half of '91, cheery/happy pop like Amy Grant had big hits - I doubt if she came out even 1-2 years later, if it would've been nearly as successful.

I think 1990 and early 91 really weren't much different from 1987.  They seemed less "hazy" than 1987 and didn't have the ridiculous "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" slang (although "Wicked" seemed to still be around in the very early 90s and "Awesome" is still said today) and they had less hairspray but definitely still some, but essentially they were pretty much the same thing.  "Home Alone" seems closer in feel to "Adventures in Babysitting" than it does to say "Flubber" with Robin Williams. 
Fall of 91 to mid-1994 and to a lesser extent late 94 to early 97 still have an old-school feel, but it's very unlike the 1980s.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/20/05 at 7:34 pm

Hair metal was probably the biggest 80s genre, but New Wave was definitely better imo.  Hair metal defined the 80s and New Wave critized it would be a good way to put it.  Grunge sounded anti-80s.  In my opinion 80s music ended in 1991.  Not 1989, not 1990, not 1992. 1991.  When "Teen Spirit" came out and the Old School west coast surpassed the East Coast rap.  1990 seems more late 80ish to me and 1992 seems almost purely 90s.

Well, as I said everyone will remember decades a bit differently. Well said on Hair Metal vs New Wave. Grunge FASHION was DEFINATELY anti-80s, but the MUSIC was not even comparable to the 80s in most cases, more like the late 60s for a rough analogy ( noteably Led Zepplin and Black Sabbath ).

For me the 90s began in 1990, as Alice in Chains hit it big ( with "Man In The Box" and possibly "We Die Young" ) BEFORE Nivrana's " Smells Like Teen Spirit " ( and so did Faith No More with " Epic" and " Falling To Pieces " ). Both bands were better all around and got little credit for their work ( if anyone wants to debate the merits of grunge bands I will start a new thread on this and it will be VERY LONG ). Some bands ( such as Soundgarden ) had been around a while before they hit it big with " Outshined " and " Rusty Cage ".

Let us reflect on what someone else said. Timing is everything. If people are tired of a certain type of music and something new comes along they usually will snatch it up. Personally had I been alive in 1964 ( or thereabouts ) and had basically bad music ( imo ) to listen to and The Beatles came along, I would have snatched that up. Do you think that if say The Beatles came out today they would get anywhere near the attention they got 40 years ago? I suspect not. That " era " is over, but The Beatles are still very popular today ( there are nearly 1500 Beatles/The Beatles parodies on www.amiright.com alone ).

To VERY roughly sum up the last 55 years of music by decade:

50s- Elvis and dance tunes ( Oldies radio stations )
60s- The Beatles, The Doors, Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix, etc ( classics )
70s- Some greats in here. Notably Queen, Aerosmith, KISS and Fleetwood Mac,etc. but the last 4 years of the 70s were horrible. ( this decade is hard to catergorize as to what radio would play it )
80s- Mostly New Wave, Hair Metal and Regular " Rock and Roll " ( again would be hard to classify as there is much diversity here )
90s- GRUNGE and ALTERNATIVE!! As well as hard-core rap with others as well. These get badly blurred around 1997+ with pop-rock groups, boy bands, solo artists, etc. ( will need  probably 4 radio stations atleast to hear all the 90s music )
2000s- To sum up up in a word: Crap. There are many songs 2000+ that are great, but in 5 years the ratio of bad vs good songs is overwhelming ( I just listen to any top 40 station now and get the picture ).

Note: Even country music has changed noticeable in every decade from the 50s to today ( from Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Waylon Jennings, Charlie Daniels, Dolly Parton, up to " modern " country which is NOTHING like country was when it started ).

I am biased towards grunge/alternative ( obvious by now ), but enjoy a lot of music in completely different genres/decades. Sorry this has gotten off-topic. It also depends on your music tastes. There are many people of my age ( my REAL age ) that think the 70s was the best decade and HATE grunge, the opposite of me. Hell, I even like country and opera once in a while. :)

PS- Music tastes will also vary WIDELY from not just person to person ( of the same age ) but country to country. I have three friends born within 24 hours of me ( no lie ) that listen to rap, country, and one who just listens to whatever is on the radio.

Written By: DevoRule on 04/20/05 at 11:21 pm

Well, as I said everyone will remember decades a bit differently. Well said on Hair Metal vs New Wave. Grunge FASHION was DEFINATELY anti-80s, but the MUSIC was not even comparable to the 80s in most cases, more like the late 60s for a rough analogy ( noteably Led Zepplin and Black Sabbath ).

For me the 90s began in 1990, as Alice in Chains hit it big ( with "Man In The Box" and possibly "We Die Young" ) BEFORE Nivrana's " Smells Like Teen Spirit " ( and so did Faith No More with " Epic" and " Falling To Pieces " ). Both bands were better all around and got little credit for their work ( if anyone wants to debate the merits of grunge bands I will start a new thread on this and it will be VERY LONG ). Some bands ( such as Soundgarden ) had been around a while before they hit it big with " Outshined " and " Rusty Cage ".

Let us reflect on what someone else said. Timing is everything. If people are tired of a certain type of music and something new comes along they usually will snatch it up. Personally had I been alive in 1964 ( or thereabouts ) and had basically bad music ( imo ) to listen to and The Beatles came along, I would have snatched that up. Do you think that if say The Beatles came out today they would get anywhere near the attention they got 40 years ago? I suspect not. That " era " is over, but The Beatles are still very popular today ( there are nearly 1500 Beatles/The Beatles parodies on www.amiright.com alone ).

To VERY roughly sum up the last 55 years of music by decade:

50s- Elvis and dance tunes ( Oldies radio stations )
70s- Some greats in here. Notably Queen, Aerosmith, KISS and Fleetwood Mac,etc. but the last 4 years of the 70s were horrible. ( this decade is hard to catergorize as to what radio would play it )
80s- Mostly New Wave, Hair Metal and Regular " Rock and Roll " ( again would be hard to classify as there is much diversity here )
90s- GRUNGE and ALTERNATIVE!! As well as hard-core rap with others as well. These get badly blurred around 1997+ with pop-rock groups, boy bands, solo artists, etc. ( will need  probably 4 radio stations atleast to hear all the 90s music )
2000s- To sum up up in a word: Crap. There are many songs 2000+ that are great, but in 5 years the ratio of bad vs good songs is overwhelming ( I just listen to any top 40 station now and get the picture ).

Note: Even country music has changed noticeable in every decade from the 50s to today ( from Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Waylon Jennings, Charlie Daniels, Dolly Parton, up to " modern " country which is NOTHING like country was when it started ).

I am biased towards grunge/alternative ( obvious by now ), but enjoy a lot of music in completely different genres/decades. Sorry this has gotten off-topic. It also depends on your music tastes. There are many people of my age ( my REAL age ) that think the 70s was the best decade and HATE grunge, the opposite of me. Hell, I even like country and opera once in a while. :)

PS- Music tastes will also vary WIDELY from not just person to person ( of the same age ) but country to country. I have three friends born within 24 hours of me ( no lie ) that listen to rap, country, and one who just listens to whatever is on the radio.

While it's true "Epic" and "Man In The Box" were successful in 1990 (although not huge, well Epic was but not Man in the Box), so was "Roam" - B-52s and "Enjoy the Silence" - Depeche Mode.  Grunge was present in music as early as 1988 but "Teen Spirit" took it over hair metal and New Wave in popularity.  In 1990 probably the most popular rock was heavy metal like Metallica.

I'm not dumb; I know 1990 WAS the 90s, but in pop culture terms it seemed to still resemble the 80s more than it did than later 90s years. 

Written By: Albert on 04/21/05 at 3:34 am

"50s- Elvis and dance tunes ( Oldies radio stations )
70s- Some greats in here. Notably Queen, Aerosmith, KISS and Fleetwood Mac,etc. but the last 4 years of the 70s were horrible. ( this decade is hard to catergorize as to what radio would play it )"

Not true! These are false generalizations/misconceptions. What people commonly associate with "the '50s" lasted way past that decade & there was a mixed time particularly beginning in 1966, a mixed time carrying into the 70's. I collect music from the 50's to early-80s & always am sure to know when the songs are from & what they peaked in popularity. I've also looked a lot into those times, talked to people who were there, and collect pictures from those times. Anyway, specifically on music, the 2 oldies stations that I listen to play many hits of the 60's & 70's (a lot of which someone could easily assume is from the 50's) & only an occassional song from the 50's.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/21/05 at 11:44 am

"50s- Elvis and dance tunes ( Oldies radio stations )
70s- Some greats in here. Notably Queen, Aerosmith, KISS and Fleetwood Mac,etc. but the last 4 years of the 70s were horrible. ( this decade is hard to catergorize as to what radio would play it )"

Not true! These are false generalizations/misconceptions. What people commonly associate with "the '50s" lasted way past that decade & there was a mixed time particularly beginning in 1966, a mixed time carrying into the 70's. I collect music from the 50's to early-80s & always am sure to know when the songs are from & what they peaked in popularity. I've also looked a lot into those times, talked to people who were there, and collect pictures from those times. Anyway, specifically on music, the 2 oldies stations that I listen to play many hits of the 60's & 70's (a lot of which someone could easily assume is from the 50's) & only an occassional song from the 50's.

Ok, I give up. ;D

Written By: Evil on 12/06/05 at 2:17 pm

Clothing-Wise:The answer to that question is no.Why? Well,look at the clothes wore and the styles we that had in the 90's and still have in the 00's,other than a select few styles and clothes. The clothes that we wear ,were wore before in the 70's and 80's and they had different names for them and the way we wear clothes now are tacky.men:Pants hanging off your behind-sloppy ,women:short skits and pants-hot pants in the 70's

Music-Wise:Still no ,but this time I will include a yes.The music in the 90's and the 00's was mediocre and verilatile music ,which means hot ,today and gone ,next week and the songs that hip-hop artist used was sampled from original music artists of the '70s and 80's ,like if you hear Notrious B.I.G.G.'s song,"Hypnotized",the lyrics are different ,but not the song in the background playing.The song was originally done in 1979 by Herb Alpert and it's called "Rise".However,there's hope.The particular era of music changes over time .For example,New Jack to NuSoul and even the artist's style of music changes Run-DMC 's rocking rap lyrics toTwista's unbeatable and unstoppable lyrics that he makes in less than 5-seconds.

Movies-Wise:The technology in movies have improved and still improving to this very day.The topics and attitudes of the world have also changed in the last 10 or 15 years.So movies will change ,but there are few problems to consider and one combined word can sum it up:Updates.

Written By: Roadgeek on 12/06/05 at 2:31 pm

I can easily find the differences between the 90's and the 2000's.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 12/06/05 at 4:23 pm

The '90s and '00s are the same pop culture animal.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/07/05 at 12:24 am

The '90s and '00s are the same pop culture animal.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/07/05 at 3:31 pm

That's pretty much the same observation I see. The 1990's also had a darker feel to it as well as a more acoustic feeling. Today's music is more bubblegum pop oriented. Everything is light and fluffy in a sense.

Yeah, I'll be the third to agree with this (esp the bubblegum part). :)

However, I kinda tend to see today's music as more "accoustic" than the 90's. Or just less polished. I mean, poppy songs like Sheryl Crow's "All I Wanna Do", Ace of Base's "The Sign" or Joan Osbourne's "One of Us" sort of had the pop catchiness of the 80's, but the lyrical content of 2000's music, if that makes any sense.

Even if 1991-96 was grunge/angst oriented in fashion, music and many other things, it somehow seemed a bit more "across the board" than it does today.

I'll agree pop seems to have come back around 1997 (and really exploded with Britney, etc. around 1999), but it's clearly marketed towards a younger audience. The 80's were very "fluffy" too, but there were people in their 30's and 40's who were fans of it as well.

In fact, Robert Zemeckis (director of the BTTF movies) specifically wanted Huey Lewis to do the soundtrack to Part 1 because he was a fan and felt like he had the "perfect sound" for the movie.

I also read an article once, stating how Johnny Carson was a big fan of the Kool & the Gang song "Joanna". After he and his wife (who was named that) were divorced, he apparently played the song or mentioned it almost nightly on the Tonight Show.

It would be hard to see circumstances like that happening today with current popular songs.

Also, talk shows and Cop shows were big in the 90's. Nowadays, it's reality shows and American Idol, but I guess in a way, they're both "real". Except that I think sitcoms were more popular around 1992-98 than they are now.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 12/07/05 at 4:53 pm

In fact, Robert Zemeckis (director of the BTTF movies) specifically wanted Huey Lewis to do the soundtrack to Part 1 because he was a fan and felt like he had the "perfect sound" for the movie.

I can't remember accurately how popular Huey Lewis and the News was back in the 80s, especially with teenagers and kids.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/07/05 at 5:22 pm

I can't remember accurately how popular Huey Lewis and the News was back in the 80s, especially with teenagers and kids.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 12/07/05 at 5:50 pm

Well that was Billy Ray Cyrus though.  I can understand that one.  He was never really "cool", he was more popular for being a cheesy redneck.  And from what I remember in 1992 when he had his big hit, most of his fans were on the "older" side. 

By the way, I certainly mean no offense to anyone when I say "older".  Hell, at age 30, I know kids would classify me as "older".  :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/10/05 at 7:21 pm

Well that was Billy Ray Cyrus though.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/10/05 at 8:09 pm

^ That's not so unusual - I sorta thought the same thing about Mary Chapin Carpenter and a few others around then too, lol.

I wonder if the second wave of "country goes mainstream" was ushered in by "Achy Breaky Heart"? I'd say 1997/98 is when it "exploded" with Shania, Faith Hill, etc. but certainly for most of the 90's, country had been getting increasingly more "pop" already.

I've never been much a fan of country itself, but some individual songs from the pre-1997 90's I always liked include Restless Heart's "Tell Me What You Dream", Little Texas' "What Might Have Been" and Vince Gill's "I Still Believe in You". Stuff on the ballad side.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 12/12/05 at 1:52 am

They can tell by the fact that NO ONE WEARS FLANNEL ANYMORE ;D

Written By: alyceclover on 12/14/05 at 11:10 pm

it's always been weird to me that the 60's are 'hippie's, tie-dyed' and alla dat...that was late 60's early 70's....I think future generations should know the diff...September 11 2001 changed life in these United States quite a bit...does anyone remember the other Bush's "kinder & gentler" america?

there's other threads here that touch on people being less caring of other's...it's hard to remember the 90's. but I recall it as being a generation of committing random acts of kindness & senseless beauty years....

I think that was reflected in the music...

8)

Written By: Gollum on 12/15/05 at 9:23 am

it's always been weird to me that the 60's are 'hippie's, tie-dyed' and alla dat...that was late 60's early 70's....I think future generations should know the diff...September 11 2001 changed life in these United States quite a bit...does anyone remember the other Bush's "kinder & gentler" america?

there's other threads here that touch on people being less caring of other's...it's hard to remember the 90's. but I recall it as being a generation of committing random acts of kindness & senseless beauty years....

I think that was reflected in the music...

8)

Whoa are you serious?  The 90s the generation of commmitting random acts of kindness and seneless beauty years? 

LOL.  I didn't the sugarcoating of the 90s would start so soon.

Check for new replies or respond here...